homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Tips for studying Theology please. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tips for studying Theology please.
stagflation
Apprentice
# 14061

- Posted      Profile for stagflation   Email stagflation   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just embarked on a BA Theology. Would appreciate any suggestions for good introductory reading. Plus any tips for combining Faith with Study. I am Anglican who attends Church and would like to be still doing that at the end of the course.

--------------------
so that's what i think, y'know

Posts: 16 | From: kent | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Follow and engage in discussions here for the duration of your course. Seriously. I doubt you'll get a better grounding in theology.
Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a look at your booklists and go from there get a decent church history text and read that. Preferably one on the early church and one on the Reformation.

I'd advise learning to use a concordance and if you think you'd be able to do it try to learn one of the Biblical languages.

I did keep going to church but I did 'disengage' at some point from faith once I started treating it as an academic discipline. I'm not sure of any cure for that other than trying to keep your feet on the ground.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take as much scripture as you can- even if you don't want to major in it.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like David Ford's 'A Very Short Introduction to Theology' as it is very short! Once you get going on the course each module/course that you do is likely to have introductory books on the reading list and I found that it really helped me to read those first before getting into more detailed texts. Your learning style may vary of course.

I found that my faith deepened through the study of theology. Another thing I found was that I felt very drawn to silence and contemplative prayer - perhaps as an antidote to all those words.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever you are asked to do, always give some consideration to "why does this matter?", and "How does this relate to non-Christans"?

Do not worry about where it leads you. Not being in church is not the end of the world! But the important thing is are you exploring and learning, and really asking the difficult questions?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do as much theology on your knees as you can manage. If, as St Anselm held, theology is faith seeking understanding, prayer is an essential component. That and what Zach82 said.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A general point about studying theology, philosophy, and the like: there is a human tendency to believe things that we have to work to understand. It's just a form of cognitive dissonance. It was said that Hegel became so important in western philosophy for just this reason. So try to step back from the effort involved in making sense out of the folks you read and ask whether they are really talking sense or just making you work so hard to follow them that you want them to be saying something of value.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure whether you are thinking of theology in terms of future Ordination, ot just as an interested layperson.

However, I was amazed to read that a shipmate recommended ONE book on early church history. Read widely and deeply. And if at all possible - given the the course is commendably THEOLOGY and not just Religious Studies - grasp the ancient languages, at least New Testament Greek.

Enjoy Church History and do Liturgy if you get the chance. What we pray is what we believe. It is a massively underestimated branch of theology - but less so than it used to be.

When it comes to Systematics or Dogmatics as it used to be called, don't shy away from the great S Thomas Aquinas.

All in all enjoy it. Be challenged and prepared for the fact that if faith and study are combined, your beliefs will probably be quite different at the end of your course. And it will not stop there.

And finally, you will be given the tools for lifelong study. Never give it up.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I graduated with my BA last year. Use the latest texts on the book list. Also read others that are not on the booklist in order to get a balanced view.

Good books include Ford, as above. Also Christian Theology 4th Edition, McGrath;

Enjoy! It was hard work for me (I am 50 after all) but I miss it now it's over.

i did a lot of hermeneutics and stuff, so Tate's Biblical Interpretation is good and so is Graeme Goldsworthy's Gospel-Centred Hermenuetics.

[ 30. September 2012, 13:53: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck with your studies. I don't know anything about the work involved in this, but I wonder if you will come up against the definition of theology as the study of nothing ? If you do, and if you have the time, I would be most interested to know how it is dealt with.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
S Thomas called it the Queen of the Sciences.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
S Thomas called it the Queen of the Sciences.

Of course, in Aquinas' day the rest of the sciences were pretty low-bred.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read as much as you can, around the subjects you are studying. If there is a focus of your subject, then it will help you focus your reading.

In particular, if there is a choice to read an original theologian, or even a suggestion that they may be relevant, get them and read them. So much is written ABOUT ideas, you do much better to get down to the originals. They are normally very hard going, but worth it. People like Moltmann and Bosch are tough reads, but worth the effort. Not to mention looking good as references on your essays.

I did my theology degree by extension, which really helped to ground my studies. If you are interested in some ongoing email support, PM me.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
I am not sure whether you are thinking of theology in terms of future Ordination, ot just as an interested layperson.

However, I was amazed to read that a shipmate recommended ONE book on early church history. Read widely and deeply. And if at all possible - given the the course is commendably THEOLOGY and not just Religious Studies - grasp the ancient languages, at least New Testament Greek.

Enjoy Church History and do Liturgy if you get the chance. What we pray is what we believe. It is a massively underestimated branch of theology - but less so than it used to be.

When it comes to Systematics or Dogmatics as it used to be called, don't shy away from the great S Thomas Aquinas.

All in all enjoy it. Be challenged and prepared for the fact that if faith and study are combined, your beliefs will probably be quite different at the end of your course. And it will not stop there.

And finally, you will be given the tools for lifelong study. Never give it up.

As a clarification my recommendation was just as a start for future reading not as a be all and end all.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
Do as much theology on your knees as you can manage. If, as St Anselm held, theology is faith seeking understanding, prayer is an essential component. That and what Zach82 said.

But also be prepared to lose your faith and need to rebuild it slowly - Theology takes everything apart and it doesn't appear to fit after that - but it does, eventually.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
stagflation
Apprentice
# 14061

- Posted      Profile for stagflation   Email stagflation   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you very much for all your suggestions. When I have time I'll reply to posts which asked questions. I'm mid thirties mature student from Anglican background. It isn't to a view to ordination. I was just interested in further study. I will be at Heythrop in London. I was a late entrant on course hence request for book suggestions. First lecture tomorrow and also Aquinas reading group. Would welcome any further suggestions, advice on combining faith and study. Many thanks to all.

--------------------
so that's what i think, y'know

Posts: 16 | From: kent | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the one about studying it "on your knees." It's so damned easy to get caught up in studying God as a subject and forget to KNOW God, spend time with him, love him, etc. etc. etc. Like the literature professors who no longer read for pleasure. What's the point then?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:

But also be prepared to lose your faith and need to rebuild it slowly - Theology takes everything apart and it doesn't appear to fit after that - but it does, eventually.
What Zack, Trisagion and leo said.

Biblical studies, prayer and being part of a faith community are important. They provide the context for the information.

Information without context becomes meaningless.

But most of all, enjoy it! Don't get too stressed when you realise your studies will raise more questions than they answer.

The purpose of a theological education is to be confused in a more informed way. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps you should leave open the possibility you could eventually go beyond theological study as Aquinas did after he completed the Summa, stagflation? He had a mystical experience rather similar to Dante's just before his death which tended to put things into perspective for him.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Study something more practical than theology.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Good luck with your studies. I don't know anything about the work involved in this, but I wonder if you will come up against the definition of theology as the study of nothing ? If you do, and if you have the time, I would be most interested to know how it is dealt with.

Very helpful. If you take this view to heart, you may as well not bother.

Let's start again. For C of E'rs, I'd recommend some of the Lion handbooks, such as "The History of Christianity," "The World's Religions" and John Drane's introduction of the Old/New Testaments.

I recommend these because they are informative, well illustrated, and an easy and enjoyable read. Why should theology be a laborious task?

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine put together this advice for exactly your situation. It's worth a look.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:

Let's start again. For C of E'rs, I'd recommend some of the Lion handbooks, such as "The History of Christianity," "The World's Religions" and John Drane's introduction of the Old/New Testaments.

I recommend these because they are informative, well illustrated, and an easy and enjoyable read. Why should theology be a laborious task?

Oh Mark you make me laugh.

As if anyone seriously studying for a batchelor degree would be reading a Lion handbook.

I'd hope that any theology undergraduate rather quickly progresses beyond that level.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the long ranger:
quote:

... Very helpful. If you take this view to heart, you may as well not bother.

quote:

As if anyone seriously studying for a batchelor degree would be reading a Lion handbook.

I'd hope that any theology undergraduate rather quickly progresses beyond that level.

Don't be a snob. Straightforward introductions, encyclopaedias etc are a very good way of getting the shape of a subject, filling in background and saving time.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This first tip isn't mine, but I can't remember who I stole it from now. It's always worked for me: always prefer primary sources to secondary. That means, before you think it'll be better to read a book about Aquinas, try reading Aquinas. Ditto Augustine, Athanasius, Chrysostom, etc. (In translation, if necessary.)

You might find it doesn't work for you. But I've often been surprised how lucid and comprehensible the old writers are in comparison with their modern commentators.

This second tip also isn't mine, but it was given me by my own Old Testament tutor, Fr John Davies: "Never despise old books. Never despise small books."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Don't be a snob. Straightforward introductions, encyclopaedias etc are a very good way of getting the shape of a subject, filling in background and saving time.

I'm not a snob, I am someone who has studied at university several times. I agree that these might be useful background for someone who is interested but not studying at university level.

But that was the question posed in the first post.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd echo what everyone else has said here. But I'd also add: don't do what I did and just read the bits you're told to read, or the bits you need to read for assignments etc. I did this, often just reading selected chapters from books rather than trying to spend time with the whole book and get the entire argument. Read what you're told, but read around it, read opposing views, get a feel for the whole of a subject or argument (as much as is practically possible).

Also...
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:

I'd say, instead, find ways to make the theology you study practical and relevant to your situation and your context. Try to find links between what you're studying and what the situation is where you are. If you're studying something new, ask "How might this change my context".

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Exactly - stagflation was looking for good introductory reading, not intellectual gobbledegook!

That being said, the Lion handbooks are good for an introduction, but have an evangelical slant to them. That's good if you want to defend your evangelicalism, and every book will have some sort of bias according to the writer's/publisher's perspective. I just wonder if there is a similar publisher for those of a more catholic persuasion, which produces books just as illustrative, enjoyable and affirmative but with more emphasis on the Church and Sacraments.

[ 01. October 2012, 10:26: Message edited by: Mark Betts ]

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

quote:
Exactly - stagflation was looking for good introductory reading, not intellectual gobbledegook!

I stand by my point that the Lion handbooks are no use for an undergraduate in theology.

quote:
That being said, the Lion handbooks are good for an introduction, but have an evangelical slant to them. That's good if you want to defend your evangelicalism, and every book will have some sort of bias according to the writer's/publisher's perspective. I just wonder if there is a similar publisher for those of a more catholic persuasion, which produces books just as illustrative, enjoyable and affirmative but with more emphasis on the Church and Sacraments.
They have very much more than an evangelical slant and are not intended for use as an undergraduate text. End of story.

I very much doubt that anything stagflation reads will have much help in the early days of his course that we suggest - given the variety and content of theology degrees.

Generally speaking, the usual rules of university life apply - turn up to lectures, read the reading list with more/other opinions if possible, answer the questions posed, get the essays in on time.

Once you know the curriculum and what is included, you might well then be able to branch out and find texts that you are more comfortable with than the ones specified by the course. Of course, theology lecturers are coming from a particular point of view (like everyone else) so they are likely to favour particular texts. But you don't usually have to use those texts, and as long as your essays are well argued and reference sensible (and you'll have to quickly learn how to weigh and assess arguments) texts and works, you should still get good marks even if your conclusions disagree with the lecturer's POV.

Suggesting the use of a Lion handbook is as much use as a chocolate teapot in this situation.

[ 01. October 2012, 10:36: Message edited by: the long ranger ]

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
I stand by my point that the Lion handbooks are no use for an undergraduate in theology.

I rather thought you might!

--------------------

EJ.
Shipmate
# 9063

- Posted      Profile for EJ.   Email EJ.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second Adeodatus's advice on reading primary sources. And learn (at least) Greek if you possibly can. Reading the early writings in original language is both enjoyable and illuminating.
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by EJ.:
I second Adeodatus's advice on reading primary sources. And learn (at least) Greek if you possibly can. Reading the early writings in original language is both enjoyable and illuminating.

I'm not sure that it is really feasible to develop a sufficient facility with Greek to actually read the NT without years of study. I think better advice would be to learn Hebrew and Greek well enough to be able to look up key words in, e.g., BDAG and HALOT to understand the nuances of key terms in pivotal passages of scripture. This can be accomplished in a few months of intensive study. And that level of familiarity with the main original languages is helpful in reading many scholarly articles on scripture.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wikipedia - every time!
Make sure you reference it properly though.
You must use the Harvard reference system - it makes anything you read look impressive!

[Biased]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Hebrew and Greek? [Ultra confused]

For my BA(Hons) in Theology & Ministry I didn't learn or use one single word in either Hebrew or Greek! It was bad enough learning how to spell 'hermeneutics'!

LOL

I got a 2:1 thank you for asking, and ++Sentamu gave it to me [Smile]

[ 01. October 2012, 12:53: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Wikipedia - every time!
[Biased]

Yup, that as well - but it's not such an easy read as Lion handbooks + not many illustrations [Frown]

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For my BA(Hons) in Theology & Ministry I didn't learn or use one single word in either Hebrew or Greek! It was bad enough learning how to spell 'hermeneutics'!

Wow, that really surprises me. We often get a few Greek or Hebrew words sprinkled through the talks at our church's Sunday meetings!

I find it tremendously helpful, like a few weeks ago the talk was about what being a peace-maker means and the guy speaking gave us the Latin, Greek and Hebrew words for peace, to draw out a first-century Jewish sense of what it means to be a peace-maker.

So I agree with tclune, that knowing some key Greek and Hebrew words would probably be both very useful and also achievable within a theology course. Not many of us will have the time or inclination to study a Biblical language in such depth that we can read a text in the original language and translate on the fly! (Seen this done, very impressive.)

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
This first tip isn't mine, but I can't remember who I stole it from now. It's always worked for me: always prefer primary sources to secondary.

Absolutely. If you can. Standard university admonition tho, not just for theology.

quote:
That means, before you think it'll be better to read a book about Aquinas, try reading Aquinas. Ditto Augustine, Athanasius, Chrysostom, etc. (In translation, if necessary.)

You might find it doesn't work for you. But I've often been surprised how lucid and comprehensible the old writers are in comparison with their modern commentators.

I've found Aquinas and Augustine really, really difficult.

Tho it's on the Trinity so it may be the subject matter rather than the authors.....

quote:

For my BA(Hons) in Theology & Ministry I didn't learn or use one single word in either Hebrew or Greek!

Is that from a college or a university?

My program requires one year of straight Hebrew or Greek. Then six months of pure translation.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

York St John University

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The IVP "black dictionaries" (e.g. Dictionary of Paul and His Letters) are really useful for giving you an overview of a topic.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

Wow, that really surprises me. We often get a few Greek or Hebrew words sprinkled through the talks at our church's Sunday meetings!
Well indeed. I have often said to the congregation that in the original such and such was meant, or that the Greek is better because it's is richer, etc. God forbid though that my sermons (NEVER just talks!) becomne lectures in Greek literature that will 'impress' the listeners.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
This first tip isn't mine, but I can't remember who I stole it from now. It's always worked for me: always prefer primary sources to secondary.

Absolutely. If you can. Standard university admonition tho, not just for theology.

Yeah, but it's standard university BS in my experience. When I took the qualifier in history of philosophy, the profs putting together the exam had read Coppleston, not the original authors for the most part. Knowing what the standard history said about a philosopher was much more useful than knowing what the philosopher said, if your goal was to pass the qualifier.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore:
Perhaps you should leave open the possibility you could eventually go beyond theological study as Aquinas did after he completed the Summa, stagflation? He had a mystical experience rather similar to Dante's just before his death which tended to put things into perspective for him.

But at that time, they did not have the wealth of scientific information available today which would say that all such experiences come from within the brain, not from without.

Stagflation
I would also be interested to know if an assumption is made that the students believe in God, i.e. the Christian God.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
But at that time, they did not have the wealth of scientific information available today which would say that all such experiences come from within the brain, not from without.

Science does not prove all such experiences originate from within the brain SusanDoris. It has merely shown that the hard-wiring of the brain will usually be involved with them.

You are confusing the limits of science with the God of Dawkins.

quote:

I would also be interested to know if an assumption is made that the students believe in God, i.e. the Christian God.

At my university, anybody may take a Bachelor of Theology. Faith or no.

[ 01. October 2012, 14:06: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say: trust those teaching you. That doesn't mean that you'll end up agreeing with everything each of them says (I'm sure they have different opinions between them), but while you're learning from them, trust them.

On one level, this means trusting that they're not out to destroy your faith, and not being defensive about some (more or less informed) opinion that you hold going into the class. Also, realize that different areas of theology have different methods and while at in the end you want to integrate everything you learn (and integrate it with your faith life), these things might end up being a little separate for a while. Appreciate the academy for itself first, and then learn how it ultimately serves (and fails to -- as a fallen and redeemed thing) the kingdom.

It also means trust your teachers when they tell you what to read. Don't triage readings unless you really need to; but don't feel you have to add a whole bunch of extra stuff unless you're working on a research paper. Hence, I'm not going to give any reading suggestions.

Finally, enjoy it!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I really did mean that about reading suggestions... for about 2 minutes, but now I've cracked. (See what I mean about enjoying it).

Your first priority should be a good one volume biblical commentary. I have the New Jerome and the Harper Collins on my shelf and go to them regularly. That way, any time you're reading a scripture text for a class, you can do it in a more informed way, and without shelling out a ton for a commentary on each book.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard:
A friend of mine put together this advice for exactly your situation. It's worth a look.

That's a really good set of advice.

Although i didn't go to uni as an evangelical, much of it would have applied to me as an anglo-catholic.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:

I am tempted to be very rude about this comment but I'll avoid saying that theology is the queen of the sciences and simply say that theologians are a scarce and precious resource and are much needed in the world. There is so much devious rubbish being presented as if it were orthodox Christianity, by some televangelists who con people out of vast sums and who stir up guilt; and by 'scholars' of other disciplines who get paid vast sums for presenting dubious scholarship as if it were groundbreaking evidence of some 'cover up' that is supposed to 'explode' Christianity.

Ordinary people haven't the time to mug up on theology (work, family, commitments) and they need guidance - many live unhappy lives because there is a mismatch between belief and experience and it is our duty as ministers, as theologically literate, to shepherd them.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:

Indeed - though, in defence of Lion, their books used to be awful and biased but they are now producing some very good stuff.

Just don't put it in your bibliography at the end of an essay.

--------------------

Maureen Lash
Apprentice
# 17192

- Posted      Profile for Maureen Lash   Email Maureen Lash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
York St John University

I am perplexed as to why you have posted an unrelated link to a Mickey Mouse University. What exactly are you trying to tell us?
Posts: 32 | From: Moseley | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016