homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What Facebook tells you about your friends (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What Facebook tells you about your friends
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're on Facebook, I'm sure it's happened to you. You're skimming through your news feed, looking at pictures of cute kittens, photos from your best friend's cousin's wedding, and YouTube videos of someone's favorite song.

And then you see it. A bright yellow poster with the words, "Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give him a welfare check, crack pipe, a free cell phone, a six-pack of beer, and a pair of Air Jordan's, and he'll vote Democrat for a lifetime."

Or a poster saying that neither Muslims nor people who wear magic underwear are qualified to be President.

Or some other equally ignorant and offensive political message, something you think is entirely beyond the pale.

And you look at the icon next to the post, and you realize that it really is a friend of yours who posted it. It's your neighbor. Or someone you attend church with. A former schoolmate. Someone who, until this very moment, you liked and thought well of.

What do you do? Do you ignore it? Unfriend the person? Comment on their post to explain why they're wronger than a wrong thing? Try to shame them?

When you see them again, how do you deal with what you've learned about them?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happened with one of my friends, they had a link to a Daily Mail article regarding Welfare spongers, I linked to a Guardian one about seriously ill people being chucked off benefits.

Noone took any offence.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a lot of friends who I disagree with, politically. I assume they are being as tolerant with what they are seeing on my (pretty unabashed) feed as I am with them.

The couple times I have drawn the line, though was with a couple family members (unfortunately) who posted blatantly racist and scathingly misogynistic stuff. I just used the settings to remove them from my feed-- unfriending them would have cause a family drama I didn't want to suffer.(And it occurs to me that the reason I haven't gone through this with my friends is that I am lucky enough to know folk who don't do stuff like that. [Big Grin] )

I can cope with he fact that people are going to disagree with me. The only time I have actually taken the step of unfriending someone is

1. I have gotten the feeling that they couldn't care less anyway. That my attempts to interact with them are met with irritation. I won't keep bothering someone who acts like my friendliness is a burden.

2. They start hassling my friends.

I came really close a while back, when someone I consider an acquaintance took a dive at a friend I've had for thirty years. And not just any friend, but one of the coolest guys I know. Luckily for the person in question, my 30-year friend managed to smooth things over.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:

And you look at the icon next to the post, and you realize that it really is a friend of yours who posted it. It's your neighbor. Or someone you attend church with. A former schoolmate. Someone who, until this very moment, you liked and thought well of.

What do you do? Do you ignore it? Unfriend the person? Comment on their post to explain why they're wronger than a wrong thing? Try to shame them?

So they have an opinion. So what? If I agree I sometimes say something or just click the "like" thingy. If not, I just let them say their piece. Well, unless it is really bad. In that case, I sometimes will post an offer to let them buy me a beer in the hopes it will help them feel better.

quote:
When you see them again, how do you deal with what you've learned about them?
Why do I have to deal with it? Is there someone I know that I've mistakenly thought was perfect up til now?

Are you all that certain you don't have facebook friends who think you might be more than a bit wacky yourself?

Surely you don't really think it is your purpose in life to go around straightening out folks all the time.

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:
Happened with one of my friends, they had a link to a Daily Mail article regarding Welfare spongers, I linked to a Guardian one about seriously ill people being chucked off benefits.

Noone took any offence.

Yep, this is a tactic I use, too. I'm not gonna wade onto someone's page and scold them for what they've posted-- not that I haven't done that once or twice, but it never yields good results IME-- but by golly I got a status bar of my own!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you're on Facebook, I'm sure it's happened to you. You're skimming through your news feed, looking at pictures of cute kittens, photos from your best friend's cousin's wedding, and YouTube videos of someone's favorite song.

And then you see it. A bright yellow poster with the words, "Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give him a welfare check, crack pipe, a free cell phone, a six-pack of beer, and a pair of Air Jordan's, and he'll vote Democrat for a lifetime."

Almost verbatim but then I realise it's my first cousin. Mad as a hatter.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you value the friendship of that person more than the issue? Is it a one off or is there a pattern of being an arsehole?

One of my friends from university is a tory, and I have no problem slapping down his Daily Heil articles, because that's what I did when I knew him in person. We argued about politics all the time. Another friend from uni, who I largely agreed with politically, is gay and is determined that anything short of immediate and total equal marriage is a sign of homophobia. I drew attention in my feed to the contrast between the CofE and SEC responses to the same sex marriage consultation, and he condemned both as bigoted. He's not really up for discussing it, and he's fairly anti-religion anyway, so now I tend to hide posts I make from him just to keep the peace. Another friend of mine has a more conservative attitude to homosexuality than I do and we now ignore posts we each make about it because it's not something we can discuss amicably over facebook. In person, perhaps, but not online.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
Another friend from uni, who I largely agreed with politically, is gay and is determined that anything short of immediate and total equal marriage is a sign of homophobia. I drew attention in my feed to the contrast between the CofE and SEC responses to the same sex marriage consultation, and he condemned both as bigoted. He's not really up for discussing it, and he's fairly anti-religion anyway, so now I tend to hide posts I make from him just to keep the peace. Another friend of mine has a more conservative attitude to homosexuality than I do and we now ignore posts we each make about it because it's not something we can discuss amicably over facebook. In person, perhaps, but not online.

I've hidden my posts from people, too. Why give them ulcers? It's social media, not the Bill Mahr show.

There are a few people that I am willing to take on on Facebook, but they are people with whom I have developed a lot of mutual trust and respect-- basically, people who have actively worked enough on the same for me to feel secure that my arguments will be taken with our mutual good will in mind.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
it's not something we can discuss amicably over facebook.

It must be because of the lack of anonymity on facebook that I've never seen anyone get out of line.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happens to me most every day-- often multiple times. Usually I will jump in and challenge it, particularly if it is repeating a known lie.

And, I suppose my friends would say it happens to them all the time (meaning me). I get way too snarky and political and ranting on fb. I did set a goal of limiting myself to just one snarky left-wing political rant per day-- what I refer to as my "daily snark". Having a hard time sticking to that as the election heats up. (Sometimes I have to go back and delete a daily snark to make room for a better snark that comes along).

The above is descriptive, btw, not prescriptive. I offer it as the honest answer to your question, but certainly not as an example to follow. In my defense I can only say that I have never, ever, not once posted a picture of a cat doing something adorable.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pretty much my entire family think nothing of posting offensive racial stuff, either about Obama or illegal immigration. Then there's "the gay agenda"... I haven't been on Facebook for about 2 years though my profile is still up. I keep thinking one of these days I'm going to put a good post refuting the nonsense, but then why bother? Not to mention the holidays are coming and I don't want the awkward family dinner.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had some old acquaintances who were constantly appearing every time I made a post relating to my (liberal) politics. Their comments were always completely sarcastic and mocking of my views. And yet when I posted about my bipolar disorder or when I broke my elbow (including photos of all the bruising), not a peep from these people - which surprised me; both are Evangelicals, one is even a chaplain - I'd have thought they'd express sympathy or prayers or something.

So when I mentioned this, one of them started commenting nicely on some of my more mundane posts or health-related posts, but he still was a bit snarky on my political posts. The other just got huffy about it. When I pointed out to her that I don't post comments on her political views, she told me I do take offense at her views, I just do it "proactively." I can't imagine what that means except perhaps that she was referring to my posting anything about liberal politics.

At any rate, both of them seem convinced now that I'm not willing to think about other views or to engage in debate, which isn't true - but at least it's got them leaving me alone now. [Two face]

As for things my friends post - so far I haven't seen anything truly offensive, thank God. Sometimes I've posted a link to snopes or some similar site to correct misinformation; I always appreciate it when people do the same for me. One friend deleted my comments and kept her wrong info up; that blew me away but I just ignored it.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
I had some old acquaintances who were constantly appearing every time I made a post relating to my (liberal) politics. Their comments were always completely sarcastic and mocking of my views. And yet when I posted about my bipolar disorder or when I broke my elbow (including photos of all the bruising), not a peep from these people - which surprised me; both are Evangelicals, one is even a chaplain - I'd have thought they'd express sympathy or prayers or something.

Yeah, that kind of figured into my Criteria Number 1 with some of the people I blocked or de-friend ed-- not a kind word to offer me, but an opportunity to sneer at a mistake? Right there. An unnecessary political jibe? Can't wait! Unkind remark about a photo? So glad I can oblige!

My sis and I spent an evening pretty much trash talking each other on FB and loving it-- and the reason we can do this is that we spend a whole lot more time bonding in more socially accepted ways than we do horsing around like that. Pet peeve of mine is when someone rides up and assumes "cheap shot" privileges when they have done no work to earn them. That goes for personal comments and unnecessarily inflammatory political baiting.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
And, I suppose my friends would say it happens to them all the time (meaning me). I get way too snarky and political and ranting on fb. I did set a goal of limiting myself to just one snarky left-wing political rant per day-- what I refer to as my "daily snark". Having a hard time sticking to that as the election heats up. (Sometimes I have to go back and delete a daily snark to make room for a better snark that comes along).

I admire your willingness to be honest about this, but I have to say, unless you post some pretty good other content, one political rant a day qualifies you for my "hide from feed" list. (Which, incidentally, is a nice way of handling this situation. The way I see it, if you are constantly posting political content on facebook, I probably don't want to debate you, because you are either completely set in your views, a troll, or a little of both, and either way it wouldn't be worth the frustration.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

I admire your willingness to be honest about this, but I have to say, unless you post some pretty good other content, one political rant a day qualifies you for my "hide from feed" list. (Which, incidentally, is a nice way of handling this situation. The way I see it, if you are constantly posting political content on facebook, I probably don't want to debate you, because you are either completely set in your views, a troll, or a little of both, and either way it wouldn't be worth the frustration.)
I suspect I am hidden from more than a few people's daily feed, for precisely those very reasonable reasons.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really wish my Facebook friends on both the left and right would drop all the political talk. It is nothing more than sloganeering and does not lend itself to respectful dialogue. I'd say 90% of those who post political items on Facebook are the ones who have made up their minds and are not at all open to real dialogue.

If I had such clarity and were zealous about my politics I would probably try to use Facebook for free advertising for the candidate of my choice. But I do not.

I am not going to defriend anyone for their Facebook idiocy. At least I now know the truth about who they are and where they stand.

I treat Facebook as a venue for generally pleasant and entirely shallow interaction. It's not SoF Purgatory. It's a means for me to distribute photos of the Rudlets and our ongoings to friends and family, or to say "attaboy" or "hang in there" when someone needs it, or to check in briefly with an overly simplistic status update.

I have to manage my expectations of Facebook and my acquaintances.

What do I do? Nothing. Live and let live. I try to remember that everyone is simply doing the best they can with what they have.

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on the friend. I have some conservative friends I enjoy sparring with (and occasionally learn something from) and others for whom I've learned to simply ignore the post because I know from experience that the conversation will only lead to great aggravation for all parties involved.

Besides, I'm sure I have a similar effect on some of my friends.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think whether it's a pattern is a factor.

I have a German-American Facebook friend, who I knew for quite a few years when she lived here in Australia but haven't seen for quite a long time now.

She's Republican, and clearly more conservative than me in many respects. I can handle that.

What I'm beginning to find hard to handle is her apparent obsession with the topic of abortion. It seems like 3/4 of her posts are links or repostings of material about anti-abortion campaigns. Many are about people who are 'failed abortions' or who were adopted rather than aborted, and their testimonies.

I'm seriously considering whether to unfriend her. And this is despite the fact that my own views on abortion are actually rather conservative (the difference being that I don't think my views should be enforceable as a matter of law). I'm just becoming heartily sick of the use of Facebook as a 1-topic political platform, not least for an issue that isn't even a political issue in my own country.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not on Facebook. Is it possible to unfriend someone as to certain topics or certain kinds of posts?

Anyway, the OP problem is nothing new, I get the most extreme right wing anti-anything that isn't his definition of Christian, Obama is a Muslim, etc emails from a guy who in person is sweet, intelligent, talented, outgoing, entertaining, and never mentions politics. You'd think he and his emails were two different people.

Emails -- just delete unread. Can one do that with things others send to a facebook page? Just delete and go on as if those posts never existed?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
So they have an opinion. So what? If I agree I sometimes say something or just click the "like" thingy. If not, I just let them say their piece. Well, unless it is really bad. In that case, I sometimes will post an offer to let them buy me a beer in the hopes it will help them feel better.

If they're really expressing an opinion then that's fine. The trouble is that a lot of the posts of the type to which Josphine referred in the OP are simply copied and pasted without any thought whatsoever. The worst are the ones about Muslims trying to ban poppies/Christmas decorations/England football shirts (delete as applicable) for being racist but have no basis in fact. Like Josephine, I am often saddened that it is often intelligent people who get taken in by that crap.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd suggest that facebook is not really about communication but about wearing badges. And to some extent, people post things onto facebook in 'broadcast' rather than 'communication' mode.

My perception is that friends I knew well around a dozen or more years ago drift into facebook friends, whom I barely communicate with at all. I have had a blazing row with someone I knew and liked very much about something they posted about me, which resulted in a broken relationship as I never spoke to them again. In thinking about the episode now, years after the event, I conclude that we had drifted apart but were attempting to communicate as if we were as close as we once were. We were actually different people and had less in common than we once had.

I don't know about how communication works on facebook with people you regularly see as I haven't used it for years.

Twitter, it seems to me, can also be used in a 'broadcast' mode, but is also used by far more people who do not know each other in real life (or not very well), so communication is possible in real time on real issues.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the long ranger:
I'd suggest that facebook is not really about communication but about wearing badges. And to some extent, people post things onto facebook in 'broadcast' rather than 'communication' mode.

That's an interesting thought. I suspect you're right. I know, in some of the communication theory I've read lately, there's significant support for the idea that argument isn't about finding out what's true, it's about defining groups, group membership, and group hierarchy. Facebook posts as "badges" intended to broadcast which group you belong to would fit in with that model pretty well. And it does seem to describe the way many people post.

In fact, it sometimes seems to me that some people want to find an opinion that not only ensures that they are in the "in group," but that people they don't like are in the "out group." So, for example, some religious believers (and non-believers) seem to think that the highest priority is to ensure that they're clearly distinguished from each other. Looking for areas of common beliefs is impossible. If These Folks assert X, then Those Folks will assert Y, not because of the facts or the logic, but simply because they need to prove that These Folks and Those Folks are different.

Are there any opinions, religious, political, or other, that your friends have expressed online that you think are completely beyond the pale? I understand shrugging off some ideas as being mere differences of opinion, or even factual errors, that have no significance to the relationship. But are there opinions that a friend might express, or has expressed, that you find so repugnant that it has caused you to think twice about their friendship?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've at least one acquaintance (friend of a friend thing) who specializes in posting up streams of info about earthquakes, famines and anti-Obama stuff because in his particular line of Pentacostalism he's counting down to the end of the world. So his posts often lead to a tail of 'Hallelujah, brother' and AMENs in capitals with many exclamation marks. Rabidly pro-Israel, anti-Muslim he really pushed my buttons to begin with. Though I wouldn't really reply, except for the things I could affirm or safely and quietly challenge. I don't see FB as a forum for thorough debate.

He has a heart of gold, and does some great volunteer work overseas, and I reckoned that if I didn't have room for him I would probably be just as intolerant, in some ways, as I'm accusing him of being.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd suggest that facebook is not really about communication but about wearing badges. And to some extent, people post things onto facebook in 'broadcast' rather than 'communication'

That's an important point. Someone called Facebook "the world's biggest coffee hour."

We smile, most people smile, most people are polite. Some need a hug, or a poke. We say a few words and then go and smile at the next person. Very public. Twitter seems even MORE open and public, so most people are clean-shaven and have checked their make-up.

The only way to truly communicate is by private messaging.

That's why I too am shocked along with Josephine and others whose friends, neighbours, colleagues, the lady across the aisle at church, the cousin-in-law, and so on who post vulgar, stupid, sophomoric, racist, blatantly unchristian posts and links despising the President, the poor, Muslims, and other Christians.

I don't get it.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

If they're really expressing an opinion then that's fine. The trouble is that a lot of the posts of the type to which Josphine referred in the OP are simply copied and pasted without any thought whatsoever. The worst are the ones about Muslims trying to ban poppies/Christmas decorations/England football shirts (delete as applicable) for being racist but have no basis in fact. Like Josephine, I am often saddened that it is often intelligent people who get taken in by that crap.
"The worst" is in the eye of the beholder. I have friends that copy and paste things from the left about their opponent of the day. I think they have been taken in by crap but they don't. So, what do I do? I don't worry about it. It is probably more likely to be hit by lightening than it is for the one vote of my lefty friend to go against who I am for or for my one vote to cause it to go against him. I do prefer my friends feeling comfortable enough around me so they can just lay it out there.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the culture is different here, but the people I know tend to use fb to keep each other up to date on what they've been up to, post photos etc. I haven't really come across the soap box type or the purgatorial discussion type at all. I think I have one friend who posts a few too many motivational type photos, but they are well-meant and inoffensive and I can easily scroll past them.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow I have acquired 179 FB friends, but only two are campaigners (Indians of Oaxaca and the other runs the local Hollaback campaign) and a third posts very annoying inspirational material. I occasionally get an e-mail petition and then grumpily let people know that they have no effect and why not write a letter to their MP or to a minister (no postage, and non-campaign letters cause them great trauma).
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Are there any opinions, religious, political, or other, that your friends have expressed online that you think are completely beyond the pale? I understand shrugging off some ideas as being mere differences of opinion, or even factual errors, that have no significance to the relationship. But are there opinions that a friend might express, or has expressed, that you find so repugnant that it has caused you to think twice about their friendship?

Well in my case what happened was that my friend told me something, I disagreed and then he decided that because I disagreed with him, I was actually disagreeing with God.

I take/took that kind of thing quite personally.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
Maybe the culture is different here, but the people I know tend to use fb to keep each other up to date on what they've been up to, post photos etc. I haven't really come across the soap box type or the purgatorial discussion type at all. I think I have one friend who posts a few too many motivational type photos, but they are well-meant and inoffensive and I can easily scroll past them.

Same here. When I say friends I mean "about two".
98% of our use is for what you describe.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Well in my case what happened was that my friend told me something, I disagreed and then he decided that because I disagreed with him, I was actually disagreeing with God.

I take/took that kind of thing quite personally.

You don't have to go online for that. You don't even need electricity. A stick or rock and a bossy attitude is sufficient.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

quote:
You don't have to go online for that. You don't even need electricity. A stick or rock and a bossy attitude is sufficient.

Not sure what your point is here: something was said to me on facebook that made me break the relationship. That was what Josephine asked me.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
there's significant support for the idea that argument isn't about finding out what's true, it's about defining groups, group membership, and group hierarchy.

This is the central operating tenet of most human interaction. That and knowing how to manipulate it.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:

Not sure what your point is here: something was said to me on facebook that made me break the relationship. That was what Josephine asked me.
Oh. It was the statement about disagreeing with me means disagreeing with God. That one's about as old as mankind.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But haven't you ever wondered how you could stay friends with a racist? Even before Facebook?

A dear little old granny auntie type that you thought was sweet for years and have given lifts to, kind of know her relatives, etc., suddenly spills forth noxious, racist sentiment about, say, the President of the United States.

Does this not change your view of Granny Auntie?

A cousin or choir member whom you thought "a good guy" suddenly reveals misogynistic remarks--and you somehow immediately know that now arugment will change their little minds.

Suddenly the girl from down the streets posts increasingly homophobic links on Facebook.

Doesn't that change your ideas of these people?

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
PerkyEars

slightly distracted
# 9577

- Posted      Profile for PerkyEars   Email PerkyEars   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finding out where my friends stand religiously and politically is a way to become more tolerant. If someone I like and respect in RL posts a view I'd previously considered the preserve of arseholes, then I might take a second look at that assumption. I've changed my mind in real life on issues (largely moving from the left to the right) through this - seeing intelligent people holding views I'd previously dismissed out of hand. I've also been saved by my left-wing, non-christian friends from lapsing into too much bigotry about 'the left'.

On the other hand if it's a view I'm really happy to dismiss out of hand, and expressed in a particularly offensive and simplistic way, and I don't want to look at it over my morning cuppa, then I'll just 'hide post'.

I've recently deleted most of the old friends I havn't seen in ten years. It seemed pointless and unhealthy to keep those friendships on facebook life-support when I'd rather concentrate on people I have an active, real connection with.

I will sometimes link to an article or post that expresses my views. It is a way of being 'out of the closet' with who I am and what I think. Certain topics though, I've learned generate too much bad feeling. Parenting choices is a good one to avoid - worse than religion or politics for getting people's hackles up!

Posts: 532 | From: Bristol | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
But haven't you ever wondered how you could stay friends with a racist? Even before Facebook?

That's sort of what triggered this thread for me. A very dear friend of mine has decided that he cannot morally allow racist or misogynistic or homophobic remarks to pass unchallenged. Doing so makes him, in his mind, complicit in the unjust social structures that allow the bigotry to continue, and to do real harm to real people.

As a result, he's found it almost impossible to be on Facebook.

And I've found myself wondering what the moral limits are to tolerating intolerance or immorality. I've had a couple of people unfriend me (and one even blocked me) because I said positive things about Planned Parenthood. That made me, in their minds, a baby killer, a supporter of infanticide, a deeply evil person.

I don't want to live in a filter bubble, where the only opinions I ever hear are opinions I already agree with. I think it's important, for many reasons, to hear and understand what other people think. Even when I think that what they think is reprehensible. How can you counter it, if you don't know anyone thinks that?

But if you don't say anything, if you don't counter it, are you complicit in their evil? If you don't say anything, and they are left with the impression that you agree with them, does that strenghten them in their views?

I've been thinking about it a lot. And I wanted to know what other people thought, and how others deal with it.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
I'm not on Facebook. Is it possible to unfriend someone as to certain topics or certain kinds of posts?

In theory. I have installed an add-on called Social Fixer that is supposed to filter out posts with certain terms in them. I have added terms likely to be used in political posts (Obama, Romney, Democrats, Republicans, etc.) to my filter, and have not seen that it works particularly well. But people are working on it.

I see spirited defenses of political positions on my facebook feed, but rarely do they cross lines. That said, I know from other Purgatory discussions that I frequently see innocent political argument where others see dog whistles, so maybe I would be surprised by what others see from some of my facebook friends.

--------------------

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Facebook is really superficial to me and I try to just read it that way. At the moment, most of my friends are polarized on the opposite political spectrum than I, and are in a faith I no longer adhere to. (Of course, I'm in the closet still about the faith issue, so even I treat fb as just surface chatter).

I've had a long-time friend be cruel to me on fb over my illness, but I already knew she can get mean and nasty at times, so we just ironed it out in a little online cat fight and carried on.

I did refuse to friend my sister because she treats all methods of communication (text, letters, private messages) as weapons, so I just ignored her, knowing I would be wounded sooner than later.

I survive by taking fb with a grain of salt. The line I draw would be "personal injury", not their differing world views or stances.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a (very) sparing user of FB.

If one of my 'friends' posts a remark that I consider beyond the pale I hit the comment button and say 'Bollocks'

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may sound somewhat startling coming from me, but I use my Facebook page primarily for family and church, and have a picture of a church as my "avatar" so appreciate decorum in what is posted or linked to it.
A year or so ago, a woman from a church I formerly served discovered my Facebook page and asked to be friended, when I did so, her adult daughter, who I also knew fairly well from ministry, did the same.
Then, her daughter began posting comments laced with the "F-word" and containing TMI regarding sexuality and its practices.
I am not certain what her mother felt about all of this openess, but I quickly blocked the young woman from posting or linking anything onto my Facebook page, although she still shows up in my (fairly brief) list of friends, so others can read her "top ten ways to assure yourself of daily orgasms" type posts if they click her link.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mostly use FB to promote my business and keep folks up to date on all the doings at the bar. As a result, I have rather a large (IMO) number of "friends", most of whom have opinions drastically different than mine. That being said, I tend to avoid commenting on or posting about anything political or religious simply becsuse so much of my life is lived out in the public view, I prefer to keep some aspects private.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Facebook tells me that some of my friends are political idiots.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
As a result, I have rather a large (IMO) number of "friends", most of whom have opinions drastically different than mine.

Are you and your friends not both of the same opinion that they should come by your place and drink beer?

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think that's an important question. I remember being shocked many years ago finding out in a casual conversation that my landlady - who was so generous and hospitable to me - would as a matter of course turn away black applicants for her rooms. I remember saying to her that in another era she might've also refused me a room as I was 'Irish'! But I still continued to like her tremendously and recognized the kindness she could display, even though I could never have agreed with her view.

Similarly, I remember a long-ago home communicant who at times was only slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun. We did have some discussion about some of her views - but I wasn't there to lecture so much as to befriend, so I wouldn't have gone 'purgatorial' on her! Besides, more detailed and earnest conversation wasn't really possible until she felt comfortable with me in her home, sharing communion. I took her communion for some years, starting out wondering if I would ever even get to like her - and finally leaving the area very sorry to say 'goodbye', and feeling considerable affection for her.

And some people I know who I otherwise respect and genuinelly like very much indeed, have had the most intransigent and negative views on women and homosexuals. But because I had to relate to them on many levels, including the personal and pastoral, I could never reject them as beyond the pale no matter how much we disagreed.

Maybe having gone through some of life trying to work out how to live with each other in our imperfections, FB isn't quite so tough in that respect.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To take a very extreme example, I simply could not be friends with someone who thought all women who get raped are asking for it. On the other end of the spectrum I have friends who sincerely (albeit foolishly) believe certain political/financial courses of action will result in prosperity for all. Somewhere in there is a line, fuzzy and jagged, between agree-to-disagree and hit-the-road-Jack.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

originally posted by Josephine

A very dear friend of mine has decided that he cannot morally allow racist or misogynistic or homophobic remarks to pass unchallenged. Doing so makes him, in his mind, complicit in the unjust social structures that allow the bigotry to continue, and to do real harm to real people.

As a result, he's found it almost impossible to be on Facebook

The attitude of Josephine's friend seems odd to me. Does he escape his complicity in the way the world is by not logging onto Facebook ? I don't mean that to sound as sarcastic as it does but the same people write the same things whether he reads them and ignore them or does not read them at all, so I don't see why the distinction should bear much moral weight. I don't think the writers can even tell whether he has read them or not, though I could be wrong as I am no Facebook expert. But if they can't indeed tell, silence can hardly imply consent.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
As a result, I have rather a large (IMO) number of "friends", most of whom have opinions drastically different than mine.

Are you and your friends not both of the same opinion that they should come by your place and drink beer?
In general yes, but judging from the massive amounts of Natural Light I sell, we do not share an opinion on what constitutes an acutal beer [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
quote:

In general yes, but judging from the massive amounts of Natural Light I sell, we do not share an opinion on what constitutes an acutal beer [Big Grin]
Veritable Philistines.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That's sort of what triggered this thread for me. A very dear friend of mine has decided that he cannot morally allow racist or misogynistic or homophobic remarks to pass unchallenged. Doing so makes him, in his mind, complicit in the unjust social structures that allow the bigotry to continue, and to do real harm to real people.

As a result, he's found it almost impossible to be on Facebook.

And I've found myself wondering what the moral limits are to tolerating intolerance or immorality. I've had a couple of people unfriend me (and one even blocked me) because I said positive things about Planned Parenthood. That made me, in their minds, a baby killer, a supporter of infanticide, a deeply evil person.

I don't want to live in a filter bubble, where the only opinions I ever hear are opinions I already agree with. I think it's important, for many reasons, to hear and understand what other people think. Even when I think that what they think is reprehensible. How can you counter it, if you don't know anyone thinks that?

But if you don't say anything, if you don't counter it, are you complicit in their evil? If you don't say anything, and they are left with the impression that you agree with them, does that strenghten them in their views?

I've been thinking about it a lot. And I wanted to know what other people thought, and how others deal with it.

This xkcd comic sums up my attitude. I use Facebook for reasonably close friends and I don't want to be friends with people who have views I find abhorrent. I have also blocked/unfriended parents who only post soppy/ gross updates about their offspring.
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I actually kind of get the updates about kids. I have a few friends who live far away from their parents (in my sister in law's case, across the Pacific), and Facebook is the best way for them to keep grandma and grandpa up to date about what their grandchild did today. Posting every day might get a little excessive, and I wouldn't want too much information about where my kids were online, but I would rather put up with pictures of your kids acting cute than the picture you re-posted from your favorite candidate's page.

(I can also imagine that the internet is a life saver for stay-at-home parents on days that they do not get out to play group. You have to have some interaction with the real world to stay sane.)

[ 11. October 2012, 22:28: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016