homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What Facebook tells you about your friends (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What Facebook tells you about your friends
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The question Josephine didn't ask:
What Facebook tells your friends about you?

That I'm troglodyte? Or, that I refuse to submit to being a product for a multi-billion dollar enterprise?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
The question Josephine didn't ask:
What Facebook tells your friends about you?

That I'm troglodyte? Or, that I refuse to submit to being a product for a multi-billion dollar enterprise?
Probably off-topic. But that's what I really object to.
Facebook's customers are their advertisers, and they have the attitude that if they can make money out of it, then they can do whatever they like with what you post. It's an investment decision without concern for morality. Perhaps google once had the motto "Don't be Evil". From the start Facebook has acted as though Google's motto is for wimps.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that made me finally sure I'd never have an account was my daughter's recent irritation with Firefox. She had a Facebook account at university from necessity as that's the way information was disseminated. It was set up with her university e-mail account and when she graduated she deleted, several times over, her Facebook account. It took several goes. The e-mail account went too. She still, over a year later, can't use Firefox without it data mining and sending the information to Facebook.

I'm resigned to having information gathered about my internet use, but I really do not see why I should be giving information that Facebook can use to make Mark Zuckerberg even richer.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
But if you don't say anything, if you don't counter it, are you complicit in their evil? If you don't say anything, and they are left with the impression that you agree with them, does that strenghten them in their views?

In the strictest sense, probably I am giving silent assent if I ignore an opportunity to debate an outrageous view, which makes me complicit in their evil. But really, what can I do except escalate the insanity?

It's kind of like not feeding the trolls or giving glory to vandals (as we say on Wikipedia). Silence by just ignoring and scrolling past is effective. If I get no comment or no "likes" to something I say, then I realize I've been a dud.

I'm more worried over the things in my real life that I ignore: the woman I saw beating her dog with a metal stick outside my apartment window the other day... [Frown]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The thing that made me finally sure I'd never have an account was my daughter's recent irritation with Firefox. She had a Facebook account at university from necessity as that's the way information was disseminated. It was set up with her university e-mail account and when she graduated she deleted, several times over, her Facebook account. It took several goes. The e-mail account went too. She still, over a year later, can't use Firefox without it data mining and sending the information to Facebook.

I'm resigned to having information gathered about my internet use, but I really do not see why I should be giving information that Facebook can use to make Mark Zuckerberg even richer.

There seems to me to be an easy solution to that: remove firefox and either reinstall or install a different browser.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Facebook's customers are their advertisers

This has always been true of every for-profit media outlet. Television network, newspaper, radio station, whatever. The purpose of the clever TV show, interesting news item, finger-snapping pop song, is to draw an audience for the advertisers. Complaints about Facebook from people who still sell their attention to those media outlets ring hollow to me.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's not using Firefox, she's using Chrome, it's not normally an issue - until we were looking up something specific.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

What I'm beginning to find hard to handle is her apparent obsession with the topic of abortion. It seems like 3/4 of her posts are links or repostings of material about anti-abortion campaigns. Many are about people who are 'failed abortions' or who were adopted rather than aborted, and their testimonies.

I have a friend who used to post similar stuff.

One, she has been in my life long enough to qualify as a sort-of sister, two, her actual sister is one of my dearest friends, three, if I am going to rejoice publicly every time Marriage Equality takes a step forward-- and I do, loudly-- then I really just need to be humbly grateful that she keeps me on her list at all, when I think about unfriending her.

And having her on my list allowed me to be current with information when her husband died, suddenly and tragically. Being in a position to immediately offer her my support made all the ranting worth it. Really, like I said, the only thing that will push me to unfriending someone is when I feel like my friendship is not a commodity to them

Plus which, there is no law that says I have to thoroughly read everything that comes across my feed. If I see a link title that I know is only going to piss me off, I avoid it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Facebook's customers are their advertisers

This has always been true of every for-profit media outlet. ... Complaints about Facebook from people who still sell their attention to those media outlets ring hollow to me.
Which is why I no longer post on it.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to admit I enjoy facebook a lot, but my attitudes--and my own use--continue to evolve. I also see some of the stuff which pushes my political buttons, as well as stuff that would have me rising up and hollering "Preach it!" After the election, I do expect to use the "Hide Post" feature less...

I have a wide variety of people on my facebook list. I've reconnected with friends and acquaintances from high school and college. Often, I've rediscovered why we drifted apart--because we really have nothing in common. Sometimes, I've discovered I like them a lot more now than I did then--and that's been very special.

I have the usual assortment of relatives--including some I've never met in person, but with whom I connected when I began to be interested in genealogy and family history (and if that doesn't say I'm of a "certain age", nothing will). Some of the relatives will take every chance they can to "like" something about Jesus, as though facebook could be an act of worship. Others have absolutely no filters. It's been...interesting. It has particularly been eye-opening to discover family members of my mother's generation who are a lot more earthy than Mother ever allowed us to know.

I have a number of clients and business associates. Since those relationships need to remain cordial, I usually avoid political postings on my page, but not all of them follow the same rule...I hide posts if I need to.

Finally, I have a small number of Shipmate friends. It's been an honor to learn more about them, and I haven't found a one who underwent "personality change" from what I've seen on the Ship--it's been more as though a black-and-white picture went to color.

The variety makes my newsfeed interesting. I do try to make certain I put something up on my page every week or so--if I'm going to enjoy other peoples posts I feel an obligation to contribute from time to time. I do take the attitude of my hip niece, though--this is MY page, and if you post something which isn't appropriate for my mix of friends I will delete it. (That's usually my brother, who has no filters and knows it. A PM when I do it has always kept the feathers unruffled).

As for discovering things about people--I try to remember a lesson from real life. My mother could, from time to time, make a comment that was eye-crossingly racist without realizing it. Her mother was much, much worse. It was simply a part of their upbringing in the South, and it certainly never occurred to my grandmother to question it. It did occur to my mother--and she worked hard not only to have a better attitude for herself, she worked hard to make certain my brothers and I were as free as possible of racist attitudes. I think she had some success, and her children have been well-served by her attempts even when we slipped, and weren't as good as we should have been.

So I try to recognize that even if people haven't fully "arrived" yet, they may already have made a much longer journey than I had to make. If they are open to reason (or Snopes) I'll usually PM first and see how it goes. I try to keep my darker side in PMs as well--not everything in anyone's life is sunny and cheerful, but not everything needs to be broadcast beyond a select inner circle of friends. In spite of that, I have recently been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support on facebook when I was in an auto accident. It is definitely a more positive than negative part of my life.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the Christians I know are raving evo -conservatives. This 'Daily Mail' mentality really winds me up. Anti gay, bigoted, hating the poor as scroungers, etc. etc. Of course they'd deny this, but their posts betray their true feelings.

I find that rational argument is impossible. Do you unfriend them or not ? I'd like to, but on the other hand if you don't engage them and take the abuse you don't challenge them. I most definitely aren't in 'their club'. It leaves you feeling that you are a second rate Christian - until you remind yourself that their attitudes stink and are exactly what Jesus came to challenge.

They are presently getting their kickers in a twist over gay marriage. Pointing out that polygamy and lesbianism wasn't a problem in the old testament is definitely not what they want to hear...

Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I try not to throw my pearls before swine.

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
There are a few people that I am willing to take on on Facebook

[Paranoid]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
fluff
Shipmate
# 12871

- Posted      Profile for fluff   Email fluff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a funny OP. I have a Friend on Facebook - who is as it happens a Baptist Christian - who posts a great deal of material on peace/love/mercy/footsteps in the sand/kittens etc etc.

But this stream of sweetness is regularly interrupted with calls for the castration/hanging/burning/micro-chipping-in-the-head-of pedophiles! She also posts regular anti-Muslim stuff, of a slightly less extreme nature.

We do meet - though not very closely - in "real life" and I've not brought any of these issues up with her. She's always quite lovely. A friend of mine who has thought about these things suggests that this behavior is an example of the disinhibiting effect of posting on the internet - people will say things they might not say face-to-face. It's a bit like bar-room conversation, after a few drinks.

I have to say I have never looked at this woman in quite the same way.

Posts: 109 | From: South England | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016