homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Denial of Science (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Denial of Science
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is it that deniers of everything scientific can a) get elected to the Federal Government of the USA, and b) when elected, get a seat on the House Science, Space and Technology committee?

I mean, it isn't just Todd Akin, with his strange view of female biology, who is on this committee. It is also Paul Broun of Georgia:
quote:
All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell. And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior. You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.
and several other Republican representatives.

Is the country going to be reduced to a shivering wreckage of decayed infrastructure and book-burning, or are there enough voters with even a fraction of a clue who could make a difference on this?

I write, not because I am a voter in the US, but because I live in a country that will be severely impacted if the Christian Right takes over down there...

and because our own government has been infected with the "knowledge-is-dangerous" bug by osmosis from the idiot factor south of the border.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the real U.S. exceptionalism.

[ 10. October 2012, 23:53: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted about the same idjit on the Another Damn Fool Republican thread in Hell a few days back.

My theory is that the current political drip-torture of "Government's no good, government programs are no good, etc." has succeeded in making many people believe that their schools are not only terrible, but that they're also all involved in some Giant Hidden Conspiracy Against Real American Values (TM).

We're all back trying the Scopes Monkey thing all over again. Schools (run by the Big Bad Government) teach this science stuff. Science stuff ain't in the Only Book Worth Reading -- The Bible. Worse, We Don't Unnerstand Science Stuff, so it's prolly some Evil Commie Pinko Trick. (It Wuz Them Roosians Who Sent Up that Spootnik thing, y'know, and Them Guys is Commies. Y'can't trust Commies.)

We orta Read The Bible Instead, 'cos We Do Unnerstand That. It's All Right There in Black & White.

It's hard to overestimate the depth of the anti-intellectual streak in the general American populace. Our national devotion to conformity and a sort of cultural orthodoxy coupled with mistrust of government is strangling our ability to innovate, govern, regulate, or create in intellectual and artistic fields.

But hey: we're brilliant at developing complicated-but-sleazy financial instruments.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Republican committee member, Dana Rohrabacher, suggested that a possible solution to climate change would be to cut down the rain forests! Of course, one would have though Rep. Rohrabacher's support of the Taliban would have rendered him electorally vulnerable, but if that's not going to sink him I wouldn't expect scientific illiteracy to do so.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See if you can discuss this without turning the thread into a DH. The consequences of scientific illiteracy in elected representatives is a reasonable Purg thread, provided you stay clear of biblical inerrancy and evolution.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA: Ack! Too Dead Horse there.

[ 11. October 2012, 00:59: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mary EW G
Apprentice
# 17015

- Posted      Profile for Mary EW G   Email Mary EW G   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I like was the guy who stated that winds are natures way of cooling the earth. Win turbines slow them down, thus creating global warming.
Posts: 7 | From: ONtario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those Republican politicos say outrageous, anti-scientific crap for a reason- millions of Americans believe it. It's not just Evolution, but their attitude towards Science in general that annoys me about so many of my fellow Americans. They want simple answers to complex issues, and respond to anyone who thumps a Bible, waives a flag and talks about returning to "true" values. Scientists and other intellectuals tell us that the real world is complex, and that some of the truisms which we held dear no longer work for us. Rather than face that, millions of Americans respond to the anti-intellectual rants of demagogues.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is little understanding of science and a real rejection of science in the general public.

Where I live has the lowest vaccination rate in the country, neither do we have fluoridated water. This is not based on a consideration of evidence and competing theories, but on other things. Some have a belief that there should be a 'natural' approach to the scientific things they do not like. This extends to health approaches as well. But it is not even possible to generalise about the reasons, but science takes a back seat.

We have a whole pseudo-pharmaceutical industry that can point to coincidental examples for its proof, rather than a rigorous study. There are vanishingly small scientifically literate politicians. I remember an environment minister who seemed to equate environmental care with love of furry animals.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
There is little understanding of science and a real rejection of science in the general public.

Where I live has the lowest vaccination rate in the country, neither do we have fluoridated water. This is not based on a consideration of evidence and competing theories, but on other things. Some have a belief that there should be a 'natural' approach to the scientific things they do not like. This extends to health approaches as well. But it is not even possible to generalise about the reasons, but science takes a back seat.

We have a whole pseudo-pharmaceutical industry that can point to coincidental examples for its proof, rather than a rigorous study. There are vanishingly small scientifically literate politicians. I remember an environment minister who seemed to equate environmental care with love of furry animals.

Careful, LK.

Exposing YECs is fine, and there might well be statistical evidence that they are in fact more heavily represented amongst the voters for, and members of, conservative parties such as Republicans in the US, Conservatives in the UK and the Coalition in Oz.

However, when you move on to that territory inhabited by obscurantist radicals such as New Agers, the lunatic fringe of the Green movement, and the DIY health experts who are enthusiastic about natural remedies and paranoid about the medical establishment, you are dealing with people who wouldn’t vote conservative in a fit.

The neat equation of conservative = anti-science then no longer obtains.

This is very threatening to the authoritarian personality, the defining characteristic of which is intolerance of ambiguity.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:

It was never my equation.

Margaret Thatcher is (IMO) a prime example of a disappointing scientifically literate politician.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leaving politicians aside (perhaps in a locked community)...

I think a lot of it is wanting certainty. Science is constantly changing. But if you have a Foundational Belief System (the Bible is a user's manual from God; tradition, scripture, and reason; the primacy of a particular person/institution, spiritual or not; my culture is the best; history happened This Way; my significant other loves me and will always be in my life; these scientific principles are absolute, etc.), then you have something solid to stand on, to hold onto.

If you're someone who depends on certainty, consciously or not, you're apt to get unnerved and upset if someone tries to fracture or remove that certainty.

People in involuntary freefall tend to be very unhappy about it.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do people think of what Neil Tyson says on the subject:

Short clip where Neil Tyson talks about who wants to support science more, Republicans or Democrats.

In short he seems to suggest that because much of Americas wealth depends on scientific research and development and Republicans hate being poor in the end science will always get backed by them.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Oh no... not again!!! [Help] )

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:

It was never my equation.

Margaret Thatcher is (IMO) a prime example of a disappointing scientifically literate politician.

And a good example that conservatives don't have to be anti-science. She understood the ideas behind both global warming and the "hole in the ozone layer" and was one of the main proponents of the treaties that banned fluorocarbons (something that might have led the British press to get the two problems confused for about a decade). Not everything she did was bad.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, as KC points out, liberals aren't necessary pro-science. While I know a few Christian anti-vaccinationists, the most strident anti-vaxxers I know are the crunchy-granola-hippie-peace-freak-feminist mamas (my natural peers, in other words) who profess no ties to organized religion and would vote the straight left-wing ticket on most issues (here in Canada at least).

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is, of course, Bagheot's famous quote

quote:
A constitutional statesman is in general a man of common opinions and uncommon abilities.
Which is quite revealing in this context. Another way of looking at it is that any politician is likely to be keenly aware about the impact of his publicly declared views on his own voting constituency. If denial of particular scientific findings is a vote winner, don't be surprised if politicians go for it.

And underneath that is the more profound question. if politicians these days tend more to be opinion followers, who are the real opinion formers? Who is influencing "common opinions"? Particularly if, in some societies at least, these seem to be science-denying.

Without getting too paranoid about it, there is something to be said for identifying politicians - at least some politicians in some countries - as a secondary source of science denial. Who or what are the first causes of science denial, and who stands to gain thereby?

It's fair to recognise either stupidity or a lack of integrity in politicians re scientific findings, but clearly there are other players involved.

[ 11. October 2012, 10:09: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flossymole
Apprentice
# 17339

- Posted      Profile for Flossymole   Email Flossymole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting and depressing. Are the media the real opinion formers? I find TV programmes about science, though more numerous than they used to be, shallow and irritatingly subject to 'media values' in the way of banal background music, time-consuming and unnecessary artistic camera work and jolly human interest whether relevant or not.
Newspapers aren't much better, even The Grauniad, Independent and Observer which claim to be interested. They are all at they're most underhand when quoting statistics. Is it because media people have studied 'media studies' and mostly gave up science at age 16?(I'm talking about the UK here).
And now for a bit of jolly human interest -
Isn't it amusing that the so-called Big Bang Theory was propounded (on purely mathematical and observational grounds) by Georges Lemaître, astrophysicist and priest and was viewed as 'distasteful' by more conventional colleagues who didn't like the implications of a point of creation?
quote:
All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell.
What an intensely stupid man this Paul Broun must be.
Posts: 43 | From: Derbyshire UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Not everything she did was bad.

Ken, I think you may have just written the most perfect epitaph for The Lady!

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
quote:
Not everything she did was bad.

Ken, I think you may have just written the most perfect epitaph for The Lady!
It can go on her tombstone. Alongside "Licenced for Dancing".

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Why is it that deniers of everything scientific can a) get elected to the Federal Government of the USA, and b) when elected, get a seat on the House Science, Space and Technology committee?

Denying science isn't restricted to the US. There are UK MPs who believe that homeopathy is more effective than placebo. And that hacks me off because it leads to the misuse of public money.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be interesting, but probably futile, to say to such people: 'The scientific method you deride was also used to design your car and the bridges you drive over. Given the obvious universal mendacity of the scientific community, why do you trust the former not to explode and the latter not to collapse?'

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
It would be interesting, but probably futile, to say to such people: 'The scientific method you deride was also used to design your car and the bridges you drive over...

It might be interesting, but it would be false. Engineering may rely on knowledge garnered via the scientific method, but the approaches of engineers to problem-solving are very different.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
It would be interesting, but probably futile, to say to such people: 'The scientific method you deride was also used to design your car and the bridges you drive over...

It might be interesting, but it would be false. Engineering may rely on knowledge garnered via the scientific method, but the approaches of engineers to problem-solving are very different.

--Tom Clune

I see your point - poorly worded on my part. What about something like: 'engineers working on your car and the bridge you drove over used knowledge gained by the scientific method to do so' ?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Works for me.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am no supporter of the "Christian right", and many of their utterances I regard as claptrap, but I would like to point out that there is a significant difference between "denial of science" and "denial of scientism". It's just such a pity that some people just cannot (or, more likely, will not) acknowledge this distinction.

Perhaps if there was a more intellectually honest approach to science, and its role in our lives and thinking, then we might find less of a reaction from at least some on the Religious Right. After all, fundamentalism breeds fundamentalism.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We have a whole pseudo-pharmaceutical industry that can point to coincidental examples for its proof, rather than a rigorous study.

You must live in my town. Homeopathy?

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
<snip> there is a significant difference between "denial of science" and "denial of scientism". It's just such a pity that some people just cannot (or, more likely, will not) acknowledge this distinction.

EtymologicalEvangelical - what are you defining as scientism here?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't speak for EE, but I would define scientism as the idea that science provides the only worthwhile answers to the only worthwhile questions. Science alone will tell you everything you will ever need to know about the world. An insupportable and virtually nonsensical view, to my mind, but nevertheless one that many scientists slip into, often apparently without noticing.

But I'm not sure that when YECcies get onto government science committees, what's happening is a denial of scientism. I think it's a denial of science.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It would be interesting, but probably futile, to say to such people: 'The scientific method you deride was also used to design your car and the bridges you drive over. Given the obvious universal mendacity of the scientific community, why do you trust the former not to explode and the latter not to collapse?'

I like to suggest praying the car will start instead of turning the car keys in the ignition. Faith in science and engineering is quickly restored. Sometimes you get a bit of nice tap-dancing as well, like "God promised not to intervene anymore" or "We're not supposed to test God like that."

This segment from Rachel Maddow introduces some of the other luminaries on that House Science Committee. (You get a commercial first, sorry.)

Since many of the anti-science beliefs are overtly derived from religious beliefs, there seems to be a real reluctance to challenge them. If one does, the usual response is that freedom of religion means these absurd views are as valid as any others, and secular society is engaged on a war on religion i.e. they're persecuted while being privileged. [Roll Eyes] As others have noted, thse views are often bundled with e.g. believing Obama was born in Kenya, the September jobs numbers were cooked, the polls are skewed, etc. I don't think this is a "conservative" thing. I think it just happens that it's conservatives who currently feel society is slipping from their control.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
But I'm not sure that when YECcies get onto government science committees, what's happening is a denial of scientism. I think it's a denial of science.

IME creationists don't consider themselves anti-science. They think that if science was done properly, then it would show that the world was created like it says in Genesis and the fossils all came from the Great Flood.

In some ways, ironically, they are buying into the belief that science has the answers - if you followed science properly, it would turn you into a fundamentalist Christian.

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flossymole:
Interesting and depressing. Are the media the real opinion formers? I find TV programmes about science, though more numerous than they used to be, shallow and irritatingly subject to 'media values' in the way of banal background music, time-consuming and unnecessary artistic camera work and jolly human interest whether relevant or not.

I can't comment on whether the media leads or follows in public opinion, but they certainly aren't doing much to raise the bar.

I regularly subject my family and anyone else who will listen to a rant about the dumbing down of TV in North America. As Canadians, we of course get all the American broadcast and cable channels, and we even have a few of our own. Over the years, several cable channels, such as The Learning Channel, A&E (Arts and Entertainment), and the History Channel, began with good quality, reasonably intellectual fare -- documentaries, drama, science, good movies, etc. -- but I guess the market just wasn't there for programs that you need to think about, because all these channels are now dominated by inane and utterly vacuous reality shows. Why learn something or have your horizon broadened when you can watch a junk dealer paw through the detritus of someone's ancient garden shed?

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IME creationists don't consider themselves anti-science. They think that if science was done properly, then it would show that the world was created like it says in Genesis and the fossils all came from the Great Flood.

In some ways, ironically, they are buying into the belief that science has the answers - if you followed science properly, it would turn you into a fundamentalist Christian.

That's one of the reasons I've always found "scientism" to be a fairly amorphous term that essentially means "science that gives results I don't like".

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh, absolutely. It's one of the darkest, funniest ironies of the whole theology / science debate - theologians trying to behave and talk like scientists. Raymond Smullyan, in The Tao is Silent, wrote that the real reason he has no respect for astrology is that modern astrologers claim it's a science. He knows how sciences works, and so he knows astrology isn't one. If astrologers said they were doing magic, he'd have more respect for them, because he doesn't know how magic is supposed to work.

(I'm not sure he's being entirely serious. But then again he might be.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
There is, of course, Bagheot's famous quote

quote:
A constitutional statesman is in general a man of common opinions and uncommon abilities.
Which is quite revealing in this context. Another way of looking at it is that any politician is likely to be keenly aware about the impact of his publicly declared views on his own voting constituency. If denial of particular scientific findings is a vote winner, don't be surprised if politicians go for it.

And underneath that is the more profound question. if politicians these days tend more to be opinion followers, who are the real opinion formers? Who is influencing "common opinions"? Particularly if, in some societies at least, these seem to be science-denying.

Without getting too paranoid about it, there is something to be said for identifying politicians - at least some politicians in some countries - as a secondary source of science denial. Who or what are the first causes of science denial, and who stands to gain thereby?

It's fair to recognise either stupidity or a lack of integrity in politicians re scientific findings, but clearly there are other players involved.

As much as I like Mr. Tyson, I think this trend may well trump his observations.

Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:
And that hacks me off because it leads to the misuse of public money.
This.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk
Denying science isn't restricted to the US. There are UK MPs who believe that homeopathy is more effective than placebo. And that hacks me off because it leads to the misuse of public money.

and one of them has just been appointed health secretary...
[brick wall]

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed...

The exaltation of the empirical scientific method as the only reliable means of arriving at truth, which, of course, implies an assumption that all data must be interpreted in the light of philosophical naturalism. Also it is the tendency to put one's faith in the utterances of scientists - a form of faith as irrational as many forms of religious faith, given that we know scientific theories are subject to change and revision. Such utterances overreach into areas outside the scope of science, such as morality, for example. And, of course, the tendency to confuse scientific theory and scientific fact, the latter being persistently promoted ad nauseam as the status of speculation that, by its very nature, lies outside the scope of genuine scientific verification.

All very tiresome.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The exaltation of the empirical scientific method as the only reliable means of arriving at truth, which, of course, implies an assumption that all data must be interpreted in the light of philosophical naturalism.

[Confused] And who does this? And what do you mean by "the empirical scientific method"?

quote:

Also it is the tendency to put one's faith in the utterances of scientists...

Maybe in oiur grandparents time. If we ever suffered from that its long gone.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

The exaltation of the empirical scientific method as the only reliable means of arriving at truth, which, of course, implies an assumption that all data must be interpreted in the light of philosophical naturalism.

[Confused] And who does this? And what do you mean by "the empirical scientific method"?

quote:

Also it is the tendency to put one's faith in the utterances of scientists...

Maybe in oiur grandparents time. If we ever suffered from that its long gone.

Oh, I definitely have encountered many such. Not within the scientific community, mostly, but among both liberals and conservatives (in different ways).. folks who think that the ONLY valid way to view the world is through (their understanding of ) science. The funny thing is that when you try to explain actual science to many such people, they don't want to listen, because it undermines their view about what science is.

I don't think this is limited to one of the other side of the isle. I think it's a result of piss-poor scientific education in many of our schools, which significantly dumb down science to the point that it fails to convey the actual basic principles. it's taught as a "this is true, memorize this fact, memorize this method and you will know all that is knowable", without much in-depth follow up. We know (from, as it happens, scientific studies) that people naturally tend to belive what they hear first, and any subsequent contradictory information tends to be examined against that initial belief before being accepted or rejected by the brain. sometimes that's instantaneous, particularly when the brain has a lot of information on a subject to compare the new information against, but in some people it's very hard to displace the original info. and many people's first exposure to science is so dumbed down that it is mis-representing information rather than just simplifying it. and this is what sticks with them.

It also doesn't help that many teachers of science in our schools do not have a strong science background themselves. they may have studied a bit of science, but didn't really focus on it (there are places that require a HS teacher of science to have a science degree, but most do not). when you have someone with a somewhat limited understanding of science teaching kids, using textbooks that are FILLED with errors/misrepresentations/overgeneralizations, it's inevitable that their students, if they do not go on to study science at a higher level, have a rather warped idea of what science is. then, depending on their other underlying beliefs about the world, they either reject science altogether, or put their trust entirely in science (which they don't really understand).

clearly this does not apply everywhere to everyone. But I think it's a rather high percentage of folks in the US.

Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
And, of course, the tendency to confuse scientific theory and scientific fact, the latter being persistently promoted ad nauseam as the status of speculation that, by its very nature, lies outside the scope of genuine scientific verification.

One page in and we've already arrived at "only a theory", a (usually deliberate) attempt to confuse the scientific use of the term with the vernacular use. And what does it mean that "scientific fact . . . lies outside the scope of genuine scientific verification"? You'd think that if a fact lay outside the scope of science (e.g. the Beatles are better than the Stones, or vice versa) it wouldn't rate the descriptor "scientific".

--------------------

Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
And, of course, the tendency to confuse scientific theory and scientific fact, the latter being persistently promoted ad nauseam as the status of speculation that, by its very nature, lies outside the scope of genuine scientific verification.

One page in and we've already arrived at "only a theory", a (usually deliberate) attempt to confuse the scientific use of the term with the vernacular use. And what does it mean that "scientific fact . . . lies outside the scope of genuine scientific verification"? You'd think that if a fact lay outside the scope of science (e.g. the Beatles are better than the Stones, or vice versa) it wouldn't rate the descriptor "scientific".
scientific fact and scientific Theory are not mutually exclusive terms. Fact is something which is observed. Theory is an explanation for what is observed. Law is a precise, usually mathematics description of how a particular phenomenon occurs under very specific conditions.

Something can be all of the above: an observed fact, consistant enough to be a Law, with a Theory about WHY it works that way. Gravity is a good example: there is an obsrved fact.. things fall down. there is a law that describes how strong gravity is under given conditions (how fast the apple falls, for example). and there are several theories describing why the heck the apple falls at a certain rate.

All three are valid. gravity is a fact, and there is both a Law and several theories about it.

Unfortunately, way back in elementary school, when we were first introduced to science in a very over-simplified way, our teachers usually told us that first you have a hypothesis (educated guess) then when there is some proof about it, it becomes a theory, and once it's proven enough, it becomes a law. law is then seen as = proven fact.

A theory never becomes a law when it's "got enough proof". They are two different things.

Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flossymole:
And now for a bit of jolly human interest -
Isn't it amusing that the so-called Big Bang Theory was propounded (on purely mathematical and observational grounds) by Georges Lemaître, astrophysicist and priest and was viewed as 'distasteful' by more conventional colleagues who didn't like the implications of a point of creation?

If you want to follow that human interest element then there are a couple of other nice points. One is that Lemaître publically criticised the Pope (which for a Catholic of his generation was a considerable act) when the Pope said that the Big Bang theory implied a point of Creation and hence provided scientific evidence for a Creator. Lemaître stated that the move from the "primordial atom" (his term for the super-dense start of the universe) to a point of creation (let alone a Creator) was to go beyond what science could state.

The alternative theory at the time (until the discovery of the cosmic microwave background made it untenable) was a steady state theory in which the universe is continually 'topped up' by new material produced at an undetectably slow rate. This was very popular with Christian theologians because it fitted their ideas of a God who continuously holds all Creation in being, rather than the Deist Creator who lights the blue touch paper and retires.

As a bonus human interest point. Fred Hoyle, who was a leading proponent of Steady State cosmology coined the term "Big Bang" as a derogatory reference to the theory of Lemaître, it happened to stick. He was also a strident atheist, the Richard Dawkins of his day, and admitted that his dogged adherence to steady state theory (even before the CMB it was in difficulty because the very successful theory of stellar nucleo-synthesis that Hoyle had developed couldn't account for the abundance of helium) was partly because the Big Bang had a start to the universe that implied a Creator (the same mistake the Pope made). The bonus point is that Hoyle and Lemaître were the best of friends.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyuta:
scientific fact and scientific Theory are not mutually exclusive terms. Fact is something which is observed. Theory is an explanation for what is observed. Law is a precise, usually mathematics description of how a particular phenomenon occurs under very specific conditions.

Or, as I've always explained it, a scientific law is a summary (usually in mathematical terms - although a statement like "without the application of work, energy flows from a hot body to a cold body" is a law that isn't mathematically expressed) of observations in stated conditions. The associated theory is that under the same conditions you can expect any new observations to fit the law.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

quote:
Originally posted by Anyuta:
I don't think this is limited to one of the other side of the isle. I think it's a result of piss-poor scientific education in many of our schools, which significantly dumb down science to the point that it fails to convey the actual basic principles. it's taught as a "this is true, memorize this fact, memorize this method and you will know all that is knowable", without much in-depth follow up.

clearly this does not apply everywhere to everyone. But I think it's a rather high percentage of folks in the US.

I think it applies in Oz.

I talked to a few science teachers some years ago on this, and they offered that hardly any secondary school science teachers would know anything of philosophy of science or scientific methods.
For my own A level in 1965-6, an extra-curricular session explained it as a form of naive inductivism.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

In fairness, the latest GCSE science specifications do now include something on the methodology, purpose and limitations of science.

--------------------

Flossymole
Apprentice
# 17339

- Posted      Profile for Flossymole   Email Flossymole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell
quote:
As a bonus human interest point. Fred Hoyle, who was a leading proponent of Steady State cosmology coined the term "Big Bang" as a derogatory reference to the theory of Lemaître, it happened to stick. He was also a strident atheist, the Richard Dawkins of his day, and admitted that his dogged adherence to steady state theory (even before the CMB it was in difficulty because the very successful theory of stellar nucleo-synthesis that Hoyle had developed couldn't account for the abundance of helium) was partly because the Big Bang had a start to the universe that implied a Creator (the same mistake the Pope made). The bonus point is that Hoyle and Lemaître were the best of friends.

That's better than nice. [Cool]
Posts: 43 | From: Derbyshire UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps if there was a more intellectually honest approach to science,

This ranks as one of the most stupid things I've read today. (ETA: if you mean that science isn't being honest; if not, just ignore this.)

If there was anywhere near as much honesty demonstrated by the anti-science fools and liars (see OP link) as among proponents of actual science, there could be a proper discussion.

As it is, public understanding of science and consequently public policy debate are reduced to the level where people telling the truth are all one one side and can't compete because the other side can just say anything they like to convince their idiotic audiences. See OP's link to some mouth-breather US politician.

[ 13. October 2012, 14:07: Message edited by: Clint Boggis ]

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Clint Boggis -

I think the content of your post rather confirms the suspicion I expressed in what I wrote. Heavy on special pleading, extremely light on evidence and coherent argument.

Good try, though.

It really is not a lot to ask for people to make a distinction between "evidence" and "interpretation of evidence", and to analyse and validate the presuppositions that influence their interpretation. That is something called "intellectual honesty" - something sorely lacking in certain academic quarters.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Anyuta
Theory is an explanation for what is observed.

True.

But this is not the definition of theory:

The only possible explanation for what is observed.

Sadly that is the way the term is often used in practice.

There can be a number of different competing explanations for the same phenomena, and therefore it is absurd to assume that only one explanation is valid (and therefore promoted to the status of 'fact'), in the absence of the falsification of its rival(s).

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
There can be a number of different competing explanations for the same phenomena, and therefore it is absurd to assume that only one explanation is valid (and therefore promoted to the status of 'fact'), in the absence of the falsification of its rival(s).

First off, if the explanations are mutually contradictory it would be absurd to assume that more than one is valid.

To take an historical example that's not a Dead Horse, EE's proposed methodology would be incapable of deciding whether Newtonian gravitation or Cartesian vortices or invisible crystal spheres are responsible for the motion of the planets. They all explain the same phenomena, and none of them are falsified, but Newtonian mechanics explain the system better than the other two rivals mentioned and either alternative would be incompatible with a Newtonian system.

To add my own definition of theory to the contention, I'd say it's "the best available explanation that covers all known data", with the caveat that "all known data" is a sizable enough sample to support generalizations.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016