homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Offer?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Offer?
Ondergard
Shipmate
# 9324

- Posted      Profile for Ondergard   Email Ondergard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can the Anglicans amongst us give an opinion on this question:

is it even theoretically possible, or permissible, for an Anglican bishop to offer a parish to a minister of another communion if he or she should undertake to swim the... well, what would it be? The Thames? The Isis? If it is possible, does the Bishop have to refer it to anyone else outside the Diocese for approval, or can he just (re-) ordain and send the old minister/new priest off to his new pastoral charge?

Posts: 276 | From: Essex | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ondergard, which part of the Communion are you located in?

It would be completely impossible in the Episcopal Church, because of the way we select our parish clergy.

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grammatica:
Ondergard, which part of the Communion are you located in?

It would be completely impossible in the Episcopal Church, because of the way we select our parish clergy.

Should have read your signature before replying. I see that you're in Wales.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on the communion's relationship with the Anglican province in question. Take TEC as an example. If you are Lutheran or Moravian, the bishop could appoint you priest in charge of a church without you even having to be received into TEC. If you are Roman Catholic or Orthodox, the bishop would first receive you into TEC. Everybody else would be ordained first. The diocesan bishop wouldn't have to consult anybody if he or she didn't wish to do so. You would likely have to go through the discernment process. Don't know about England or Wales. I'd be surprised if it was all that different.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
The diocesan bishop wouldn't have to consult anybody if he or she didn't wish to do so. You would likely have to go through the discernment process.

No requirement that the person would have to go through the discernment process, then? I hadn't thought so; I stand corrected. It's become so common these days, when a parish has a vacancy, that I thought it was required.
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bishop can ordain who he likes; no actual way to block that.

A bishop who holds the patronage of a parish can appoint whom he likes (which is the situation in Wales for all churches I believe). In England the parish representatives have the right of veto on the appointment - but if they were in agreement, there would be no barrier. I guess the situation is similar in Wales.

So I suspect the answer to the question is 'yes'. And I can perfectly well conceive of a situation where this would be an entirely appropriate thing to do; for example if the parish concerned were effectively closed, and the minister involved were running an independent church of some kind, then bringing him and his congregation into the Anglican communion by this route seems eminently reasonable. However the more common practice in this scenario seems to be to dissolve the parish and rent the building to this independent group.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of someone who was, until recently, Pastor of an independent evangelical church who was appointed Vicar of an Anglican parish. The difference though was that he had already been ordained as an Anglican priest and had worked as the incumbent of a CofE parish in the past. Had he not been, I doubt he would even have been allowed to apply.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ondergard:
Can the Anglicans amongst us give an opinion on this question:

is it even theoretically possible, or permissible, for an Anglican bishop to offer a parish to a minister of another communion if he or she should undertake to swim the... well, what would it be? The Thames? The Isis? If it is possible, does the Bishop have to refer it to anyone else outside the Diocese for approval, or can he just (re-) ordain and send the old minister/new priest off to his new pastoral charge?

There have been anecdotal examples of that. An appointment in one of our ancient universities recently isn't too distant from that. I know of one of our brethren who was offered fast-track ordination and parish by the local Anglican diocesan (many miles from where I currently serve) but he turned it down. I doubt it's spoken of very loudly though.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ondergard
Shipmate
# 9324

- Posted      Profile for Ondergard   Email Ondergard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I am in Wales - unless someone towed Pembrokeshire over the Irish Sea while I wasn't looking - but don't presume that the Bishop in question either

a) exists in the first place;

b) if he exists, that he's in Wales, or

c) that I'm the minister in question!

I was actually asking having been at The Gathering in Aberystwyth last week, and was just wondering if there needed to be any structural alterations to the C in W, or indeed the C of E, in order for the aspirations of the Commission to swing into action, as there certainly would be in the Methodist Church - and, I suspect, also the URC and the covenanting Baptists - or whether the six Welsh bishops could just get on with it if they felt like it.

Posts: 276 | From: Essex | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I ignored the concept of 'serving your title' which is requires that a priest has been the curate in a parish before being appointed incumbent. It's intended to prevent patrons from appointing unqualified people to be incumbent. I suspect there are ways around it, but it might be a barrier.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016