homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ship's book group thread. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship's book group thread.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having allowed the thread to sail over the horizon, for which I apologise, here is thread mark II.
We had nothing lined up for October (just as well!), but the rest of the year looks like this:

November - The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood led by QLib

December - Jacobsen will lead Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse.

Suggestions for books to read in 2011 welcomed.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Player One" by Douglas Coupland?

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel. A BIG book, but agripping read once you get going.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Player One looks interesting. I can't see a publication date for the paperback.
Wolf Hall is one of those books that I mean to get around to reading;that's one good reason to put it on the book group programme!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tree Bee said:
quote:
Wolf Hall is one of those books that I mean to get around to reading;that's one good reason to put it on the book group programme!
I'd recommend reading it in paperback. The hardback version is a mini-course in weight-lfiting all by itself.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
Tree Bee said:
quote:
I'd recommend reading it in paperback. The hardback version is a mini-course in weight-lfiting all by itself.
How about reading this in January?
Are you up for leading the thread Gussie?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Yep, I'd be happy to do Wolf Hall in January.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Thanks Gussie.

Hence, the programme looks like this:

November - The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood led by QLib

December - Jacobsen will lead Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse

January - Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, led by Gussie.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Our book for November will be The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.
A dedicated thread for discussion will be started soon, either by me or QLib.

I'm currently reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and would like to suggest it for discussion.
Anyone interested?
(edited for spellin!)

[ 31. October 2010, 15:55: Message edited by: Tree Bee ]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'd like to read 'The Help'. A colleague at work whose addicted to her Kindle was reading it the other week, and recommended it.

I've just started reading The Belivers by Zoe Heller. Anyone else think this might be a good choice for next year?

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Our book for November will be The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.
A dedicated thread for discussion will be started soon, either by me or QLib.

I'll start the thread, but not before the 1st Nov. It's a minor superstition: I'm afraid of falling through the cracks in the pavement and being eaten by bears.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm currently reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and would like to suggest it for discussion.
Anyone interested?
(edited for spellin!)

The Help is an excellent book and I wouldn't mind reading it again for discussion purposes.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Thanks, I'll put The Help in the programme for February:

February- The Help by Kathryn Stockett led by Tree Bee.

The Believers by Zoe Heller does look interesting. Shall I schedule it for March? Gussie, as you will be leading Wolf Hall in January, are you happy to lead this too, or shall I appeal for a volunteer?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! Just idly trawling through (I get time off from Purg Hosting for good behaviour) and discovered you'll be reading Wolf Hall. Brilliant book!

If you're into Tudor history fiction, I also recommend the C J Sansom "Shardlake" series. First book "Dissolution" is a very good opener to Sansom's enthralling stories set in Tudor England.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Tree Bee Said:
quote:
The Believers by Zoe Heller does look interesting. Shall I schedule it for March? Gussie, as you will be leading Wolf Hall in January, are you happy to lead this too, or shall I appeal for a volunteer?
I'm happy to lead it, but if someone else fancies leading, I'm equally happy to hand over to them.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Thanks Gussie.
Anyone who'd like to lead the Believers thread, apply here!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Now my course is over, I hope to return to real life (TM).
The Believers is well worth reading and discussing.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything by Murakami? He is available in translation here in the US and has become my second favourite writer after my brother-in-law. I'll give you an opinion of the suitability of his latest book after I get a bit farther along in it. (See Stop: what book are you reading today? thread)

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Let us know how you get on with After Dark Sir Kevin.
Or can you recommend one of Murakami's other books?
Norwegian Wood appeals to me for its Beatle connection!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't sure where to put this but some of you may remember that during the discussion for 'Good to a Fault' earlier this year I found out that a close friend's fiance had been diagnosed with leukemia. I wanted to let you all know that his treatment has gone really well. He still needs to undergo a bone marrow transplant at the end of November - the hospital is using placental blood cells as they did not find a match for a traditional bone marrow transplant, but the doctors are confident that it will be successful. :-)

I'm looking forward to joining back in the book club discussions after an amazing holiday to Ethiopia and Egypt. I think I managed to read about 15 books inbetween sightseeing and visiting people though not the bookclub selections! November's book is too popular to find in the library in time but I'm starting 'Winter Ghosts' early to be ready for December!

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

That's excellent news about your friend's fiance, Mili.Thanks for letting us know.

I'm looking forward to reading the Winter Ghosts next month.I hope it will be an atmospheric seasonal read.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has some horrible weather in it, so approximates to an English Christmas. [Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ζbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Here's a reminder of the forthcoming programme.
Please join in as and when you'd like to.
More book suggestions welcomed.

March - The Believers by Zoe Heller led by Gussie unless someone else volunteers!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

It's almost December, so if you'd like to join in the discussion next month,get hold of a copy of The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bumping up the thread in case anyone needs extra time to read the January book!
A reminder of the forthcoming programme:

March - The Believers by Zoe Heller led by Gussie unless someone else volunteers!

And please join in with this month's book which is the Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse - a relatively quick and seasonal read.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone interested in "The Red Tent"?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
Anyone interested in "The Red Tent"?

Despite that rather gory review, yes, it looks interesting.
It's in stock in my library and cheap on amazon.co.uk.
If anyone else is interested, I'll put it in the programme.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely love the book and read it at least once a year. I'm not quite sure I agree with the review - I didn't feel there was too much "birthing". But YMMV. All in all, a brilliant book.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Fair do's!
I'll put it in for April. Are you leading QLib?

April - The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bumping up as a reminder for those who would like to read Wolf Hall with us in January.

I've made a start already as it's a little chunky!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

bump.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have begun- and am enjoying it hugely!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to lead Terry Pratchett's "Carpe Jugulum" at some point. Maybe June, July, or August?

Thanks!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I'd like to lead Terry Pratchett's "Carpe Jugulum" at some point. Maybe June, July, or August?

Thanks!

Any of those months would do, GK. Pick one!
And thanks to you.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think July would be good.

BTW, "Carpe Jugulum" is especially good for any clergy or potential clergy.
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Thanks Golden Key.

Programme now looks very like this:

April - The Red Tent by Anita Diamant led by Gussie or A.N. Other.

May -

June -

July - Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett led by Golden Key.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Tree Bee said:
quote:
I think it was QLib that offered to lead that, not me.

I was going to suggest David Nicholls One Day, for August as a nice holiday read (for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere of course).

[Fixed link]

[ 17. January 2011, 17:09: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:

Programme now looks like this:

March - The Believers by Zoe Heller led by Gussie.

April - The Red Tent by Anita Diamant led by QLib.

May -

June -

Sorry Gussie - I've altered April's leader.
One Day would be a great book to discuss. I'll add it.

August - One Day by David Nicholls led by Gussie?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

February's book will be The Help by Kathryn Stockett.
I'll start the thread in a couple of days time.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I've just started reading Mennonite in a little black dress by Rhoda Janzen, and it seems a very 'shippy' book.
I'd like to suggest it for later on in the year.
Anyone in agreement?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bump.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Let us know how you get on with After Dark Sir Kevin.
Or can you recommend one of Murakami's other books?
Norwegian Wood appeals to me for its Beatle connection!

Sorry, I've been v. busy these last four months. Norwegian Wood could be excellent, but I actually own Kafka on the Shore. It, as the name implies, is one of his more surreal books: the lead character is a teenage boy named Kafka Tamura. He runs away from home to escape his mother and is pursued by a strange woman several years his senior. There is also a homicide with an unknown victim and perpetrator and cats who can communicate with humans. If I remember it right, it is much deeper than Norwegian Wood. I would be happy to chair the discussion in May or June. I shall reread it starting this weekend as there is a bank holiday on Monday. Let me know what you think, Tree Bee.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

If we get a reply or two from shipmates who would be interested in reading Kafka on the shore then I'll put it in the programme. Thanks Sir Kevin. [Smile]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Appreciate it. It has been translated into English six years ago and was published in 2005, so it should be available in large UK bookshops as well as university libraries.

--------------------

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If we get a reply or two from shipmates who would be interested in reading Kafka on the shore then I'll put it in the programme. Thanks Sir Kevin. [Smile]

I promise to read this one, if we take it on.

Amazingly, it is easily available in my local public libraries, both in Korean and in English.
I no longer live in the hicks! [Smile]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

quote:
I've just started reading Mennonite in a little black dress by Rhoda Janzen, and it seems a very 'shippy' book.
I'd like to suggest it for later on in the year.
Anyone in agreement?

Yes please! It is one of the books I bought with the book tokens I was given for Christmas, and I enjoyed it hugely. I would love to discuss it!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

mimmi
Shipmate
# 15829

- Posted      Profile for mimmi   Email mimmi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be interested in the 'Mennonite in a Black Dress' too, so long as it isn't too long.

I've been strongly recommended the Red Tent so may try that as my first entry to the Ship's book group.

Posts: 91 | From: NW England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Excellent!
So our programme now looks like this:

March - The Believers by Zoe Heller led by Gussie.

May - Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami led by Sir Kevin.

June - Mennonite in a little black dress by Rhoda Janzen led by Tree Bee.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Our discussion of the Help is only just getting underway, - amd tomorrow is March already!
So I've got myself a copy of The Believers by Zoe Heller.
Please join in - the thread for this will start anon and will be led by Gussie.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

mimmi
Shipmate
# 15829

- Posted      Profile for mimmi   Email mimmi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When abouts does the discussion start? I'm thinking of reading the May book as a starter and want to look out for the discussion thread - and be ready having read it [Smile]
Posts: 91 | From: NW England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016