homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ship's book group thread. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship's book group thread.
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Discussion for each book usually starts around the 20th of the month so there is time to discuss the book before the next month starts. Whoever is the leading the discussion creates a thread for the book at the beginning of the month and is usually the one who initiates discussion.

So for the May book you would need to finish reading it by around the 20th but the discussion goes on to the end of the month (or even longer if there's lots to discuss)so you would still have time to contribute if it took you a little longer to get finished.

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bump

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mili:

So for the May book you would need to finish reading it by around the 20th but the discussion goes on to the end of the month (or even longer if there's lots to discuss)so you would still have time to contribute if it took you a little longer to get finished.

I just recently finished the book I shall be discussing in May, but I shall be re-reading it in April as it is v. complex and I sorely wish to have some intelligent questions to ask!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just downloaded The Red Tent to my kindle. I know nothing about it, so it'll be interesting finding out.

Do we discuss non-fiction as well? If so I think The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks would be worth discussing.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
Do we discuss non-fiction as well? If so I think The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks would be worth discussing.

I would be in favor of some non-fiction at least occasionally, since I usually find fiction lack-luster compared to my life.

This book looks good, so if we decide to take it on later in the year, I should put myself in queue for a copy in my local library system. This book appears to be quite active and popular!

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we read non fiction too - Mennonite in a Little Black Dress for example,is a memoir.

Shall we read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot in August?

Programme is filling up nicely!Thanks for all the enticing suggestions.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:

Wonderful - I just it requested through my library system:

quote:
Your hold queue position is: 174
[Big Grin]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Scarlet:
quote:

Wonderful - I just it requested through my library system:

quote:
Your hold queue position is: 174
[Big Grin]

Goodness - I wonder how many copies are available? I hope you get it for August!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Here's the updated programme from April onwards:

April - The Red Tent by Anita Diamant led by Gussie or A.N. Other.

May - Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami led by Sir Kevin.

June - Mennonite in a little black dress by Rhoda Janzen led by Tree Bee.

July - Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett led by Golden Key.

August - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot led by Gussie? Gussie, are you up for leading this one too?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

quote:
Goodness - I wonder how many copies are available? I hope you get it for August!

It's for the county-wide library system and there seem to be plenty of copies in circulation. I've already moved up by 30 requests within a week.

Hopefully it will work out that I get the book soon enough for August, but not so soon that I will forget the specifics before we discuss it. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'll take notes...

--------------------
—dialogue from Primer

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fine taking The Herietta Lacks book in August, but I think it's QLib doing the Red Tent next month. I've just started reading that at the moment.

Good news about your reservatin Scarlet. i once worked for a library authority that made draconian cts and we had one copy of each popular book for thousands of users. I hate to think how long some people had to wait...

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Sorry Gussie, I was repeating an error I made earlier and you corrected me then. Sorry.
Corrected programme as follows:

April - The Red Tent by Anita Diamant led by QLib.

May - Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami led by Sir Kevin.

August - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot led by Gussie

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ta for the re-list. Zeke and I may read the Pratchett book: one of our favourite authors.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

It's almost April, so a reminder that next month's book will be The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.
The thread will be led by QLib (Hoping I've got that right this time!) [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bumping up the thread to say that for anyone who would like to make a start on May's book, it will be The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.

The discussion will be led by Sir Kevin.

[ 08. May 2011, 21:22: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bump.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Our programme is looking like this:

May - The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle led by Sir Kevin.

August - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot led by Gussie.

Any more suggestions?

[ 08. May 2011, 21:21: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bump.
And a reminder that The Very Hungry Caterpillar isn't hungry anymore and we are in fact reading Kafka on the Shore instead.Sorry.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had completely lost track of what the "real" May book group selection was. But that was a great discussion on the VHC.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suggest On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks. The bulk of it is set in the USA 1959-60 and the Kennedy-Nixon election forms a backdrop to part of the story. Willing to do this any month except September.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tree Bee--

By any chance, is there a list of books that have already been discussed? Not saying you should take the time to make one! Just wondering if one already exists.

I periodically kick around various book ideas, but can't always remember if they've been done.

Thanks!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Murakami's Kafka on the Shore will be discussed circa 21 May.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
I suggest On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks. The bulk of it is set in the USA 1959-60 and the Kennedy-Nixon election forms a backdrop to part of the story. Willing to do this any month except September.

Yes, great book that I would be happy to re-read. How about October then?
Golden Key, no I haven't been efficient/anal enough to make a list of discussed books.
You could always ask me and I'd try my memory out. I think I could remember any book that we've read while I've been administering the group.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Yikes, it's nearly June. Here's the upcoming programme.

June - Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen led by Tree Bee.

August - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot led by Gussie.

September -

October - Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bump.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Goodness, where did June go?

Anyway, the book up for discussion in July is Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
The thread and discussion will be led by Golden Key.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup. I'll start the thread in a bit. [Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Our August read will be The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. The thread will be led by Gussie.
I've already made a start!

We have no book programmed for September as yet. Any recommendations?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How convenient! I just read it for my church book group. Looking forward to seeing others' ideas.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

The August thread is up and running now so please join in.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I'll think about reading that one. Have heard various media coverage of it. Interesting story.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bump.
Oh, and any suggestions for September at all?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I was wondering about David Nicholls One Day. It's a quick read and the film is coming out in the next couple of weeks as well.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Great suggestion Gussie - it's in.

September - David Nicholls' One Day

October - Sebastian Faulks' On Green Dolphin Street led by QLib.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

September's book will be One Day by David Nicholls.
As the film of the book has just been released I'm guessing the thread will be somewhat of a compare and contrast exercise.
But if you only read the book or watch the film, please join in when the thread appears at the start of the month.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I'd like to suggest When God Was A Rabbit by Sarah Winman.
I've heard good things about it.
Has anyone here read it?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I read it recently. Quite intriguing. I reviewed it on this thread - don't think there are too many spoilers.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

It's nearly October, so slightly advance notice that our next read is:

Sebastian Faulks' On Green Dolphin Street and the thread will be led by QLib.

Thanks for the information and encouragement Chorister,
November's book will be when God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman.
I've just got my hands on a copy so I'll do my best at leading that one.

So, we need suggestions for December's book.
We usually have something fairly festive, fairly short, and preferably light hearted.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

bump.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

After November's book I'm thinking that the book group may have a haitus until there's more interest.
This has happened before and the threads revived successfully, so it's not necessarily a death knell.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Murakami has come out with a new book, a 900-page tome the size of a phone book called 1Q84. Murakami is sort of a facebook friend and I now know that the book originally was published in three volumes in Japan. I am in the queue at the library as I don't even have room for a book that big on my shelves!

Once I get it and read it, I may suggest it as a topic later this year...

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I believe that in the UK it's coming out in 2 volumes, the first one comprising books 1 & 2.
Certainly too daunting for me to attempt.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I was wondering about The Translation of the Bones by Francesca Kay as a possible Book of the Month. It's not out in paperback till next year and I'm not sure f it's been published anywhere other than the UK. Might be one for next year?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
I was wondering about The Translation of the Bones by Francesca Kay as a possible Book of the Month. It's not out in paperback till next year and I'm not sure f it's been published anywhere other than the UK. Might be one for next year?

That looks like a very interesting book.
Definitely one for this group!
I could put it on next year's programme for March or April, as the paperback is out in the UK early February.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Murakami has come out with a new book, a 900-page tome the size of a phone book called 1Q84. Murakami is sort of a facebook friend and I now know that the book originally was published in three volumes in Japan. I am in the queue at the library as I don't even have room for a book that big on my shelves!

Once I get it and read it, I may suggest it as a topic later this year...

I'm 12th in queue for a copy at my local library. If it's 900 pages, I'll doubtfully be able to finish it in the 2 weeks window I can keep the book. No renewals allowed if there are others awaiting a copy. I'll try, though.

--------------------
—dialogue from Primer

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

...and I've just requested a copy of November's book ~ When God Was a Rabbit. It looks fascinating. [Smile]

It should arrive quickly enough for me to join in November's thread.

--------------------
—dialogue from Primer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I am tenth in the queue at my branch library. In view of its size, might it be a good choice for January or February? 1Q84 does seem promising but it will likely take a month to read. Might I suggest Big Russ by Tim Russert for January? I read the first chapter which was a fascinating account of old Mr. Russert's exploits in the last war. I shall read some more today.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I wouldn't be able to get it through my library service but Big Russ is available from amazon.co.uk.
Please post if you would be interested in reading it for this group.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

The next book in our programme is

The Translation of the Bones by Francesca Kay
suggested By Gussie for March or April.

Any more suggestions?
Otherwise we'll be having a small break.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016