homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ship's book group thread. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship's book group thread.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to lead "Six Of One", by Rita Mae Brown.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Big Russ is available from amazon.co.uk.
Please post if you would be interested in reading it for this group.

I might be tempted to lead the group next year, perhaps in February or March...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Six of One has some very positive reviews here.
When would you like to lead it GK?

Sir Kevin, I'm uncertain about the popularity of Big Russ on this thread.
No-one has posted so far to say they would like to read it.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Six of One' sounds like fun. I'm not sure about 'Big Russ' as I haven't a clue who the bloke is - but if you think it's a good read Sir Kevin, I'd be willing to give it a whirl.
I'm re-reading Nuns and Soliders by Iris Murduch at the moment. It's one of my favourite books, and I'd love to find out what you all think. Looking at the Amazon reviews it appears to be a book you either love of loathe.

[Fixed the link]

[ 26. November 2011, 00:38: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Putting those suggestions together and making a few assumptions we have:

Jan - Rita Mae Brown - Six of One led by Golden Key.

Feb - Tim Russert - Big Russ led by Sir Kevin.

March - Francesca Kay - The Translation of the Bones led by Gussie

April - Iris Murdoch - Nuns and Soldiers led by Gussie.

Gussie that does give you 2 threads to lead in succession. Are you OK with that?

Thanks for these suggestions.
If anyone has any ideas for December - something light, short and festive preferred, there's still time!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fine leading two in a row, but if a few more ideas come forward we could move the Francesca Kay to a bit later when, with a bit of luck, it'll be out in the USA.

How about something very short like Clement Moore's The Night Before Christmas for December?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sir Kevin, I'm uncertain about the popularity of Big Russ on this thread.
No-one has posted so far to say they would like to read it.

For those who don't live in the US, the late Tim Russert was a beloved and erudite television journalist who hosted a Sunday morning political chat show. Big Russ is the story of growing up in a catholic household with a loving, hard-working father who was a World War II vet that held down two jobs to support his family. Big Russ (Tim Senior) reminds me of my father in some ways: Dad didn't like to talk about the War either.

I am reading the book slowly and sporadically, but I shall finish it in late January if sufficient interest is there to make it worth discussing the following month. My wife read it for her church book group earlier this year.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tree Bee--

Sorry for the delay. January is fine.

If you get no other suggestions for a short read for December, you might try the "The Golden Key". It's George MacDonald's wonderful story, and that page has the full text. YMMV.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I like Mr. MacDonald:if December is not possible, I shall abandon Big Russ due to complete lack of interest in the UK and elsewhere. Would February suit?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Sure, Sr K.

2012 programme so far:

Jan - Rita Mae Brown ,Six of One led by Golden Key.

Feb - Tim Russert ,Big Russ led by Sir Kevin.

March - Francesca Kay ,The Translation of the Bones led by Gussie

April - Iris Murdoch ,Nuns and Soldiers led by Gussie.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I have abandoned reading Big Russ for now as I am reading the telephone book, erm I mean Murakami's 1Q84 which is about 925 pages and was originally published in three volumes!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

It's a quick read: I am nearly two-thirds of the way though it. Would this make a good book for February if no one likes Big Russ?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Our first book for 2012 will be Rita Mae Brown's Six of One which be led by Golden Key.
Get your orders in now!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Bump*

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Thanks jj.

Sir K, I'm thinking that you can choose which of your two suggested books you would prefer to lead the February thread with.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I think I'll go with Big Russ because I own it and it's more accessible. 1Q84 is a terrific book, but not everyone's into surrealism and it could be hard to find. I had to wait weeks to get it from the library.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Thanks Sir K.

We'll stay with this programme then:

Feb - Tim Russert Big Russ led by Sir Kevin.

March - Francesca Kay The Translation of the Bones led by Gussie

April - Iris Murdoch Nuns and Soldiers led by Gussie.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

February is on the horizon, so if you are considering joining the ship book group next month, be forewarned that our read will be
Big Russ by Tim Russert and it will be led by Sir Kevin.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anybody suggested the trilogy starting with Equations of Flight by Simon Morden?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone were to, I'd join in as it's sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read. Just need a reason to push it to the top of the to-be-read list.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

No, up to now no-one has suggested it , but you'll do Dafyd.
I'll add Equations of Life by Simon Morden to the programme for May.
Would you be up for leading that thread Dafyd?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'll add Equations of Life by Simon Morden to the programme for May.
Would you be up for leading that thread Dafyd?

Ok. I'm up to lead it.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
UCCLynn
Apprentice
# 16633

- Posted      Profile for UCCLynn   Email UCCLynn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello, everyone!

I am hoping that someone can steer me in the right direction. Where are the threads for the discussions of last year's books? I have gone to limbo with no luck. Specifically, I am hoping to read your comments with respect to the Henrietta Lacks book. I am on the 19th chapter now. A book club that I am in will discuss this book in early march. I thought I might look at some of the questions that you raise, as well as to look at some of your reactions to the book.

I like it very much and am both horrified and not surprised at much that has unfolded.

Thank you,

Lynn

Posts: 27 | From: Central Illinois, USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

We read the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks last August.
I guess it's now in Oblivion but I can't work out how to find the thread.
I also have this trouble when I want to read old book group threads.
Usually someone kind and knowledgable posts a link.

The upcoming programme now looks like this:

March - Francesca Kay,The Translation of the Bones led by Gussie.

April - Iris Murdoch,Nuns and Soldiers led by Gussie.

May - Equations of Life by Simon Morden led by Dafyd.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
August 2011 Book Group - Henrietta Lacks

I live to serve ~ [Cool]

Enjoy! (Actually, I had the last post on the thread - what a good book) [Smile]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Scarlet:
August 2011 Book Group - Henrietta Lacks

I live to serve ~ [Cool]

Enjoy! (Actually, I had the last post on the thread - what a good book) [Smile]

Thanks for being kind and knowledgable! [Smile]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'm reading Hilary Mantel's Beyond Black at the moment. It's one of the best and scariest books I've read in an age. Not sure if people on this forum would want to read it as it's about a spiritualist medium, but I think it could promote some interesting discussion.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh Beyond Black looks good, I'm going to get a copy!
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Beyond Black does look intriguing.
What makes me want to add this to our programme is that the amazon reviews are almost evenly spread between one and five stars, so the discussion should be interesting.

I'll put it in for June.

Gussie, you're busy already with leading 2 other threads that I hesitate to ask you to lead another one.
What say you?

Upcoming:

June - Hilary Mantel, Beyond Black.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beyond Black is excellent. It was Radio 4's book of the week some time ago and I heard bits of it, but not enough to know what happened, so went out and bought the book.

I think I read it in one sitting. It is fascinating: very, very dark with moments of hilarity.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meant to say, in theory I'm happy to lead the discussion of Beyond Black, but I'm aware that Life might take over. (It has a habit of doing that.) You're welcome to put me down to lead, but if anyone else has a burning desire to do so, I won't stand in their way!

--------------------
Captain Jack Sparrow

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Birdie it would be great if you could do 'Beyond Black'. I'm happy to be back up if you have to drop out at the last minute.

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

It's a deal. Now I just need to find my copy, which I think is in one of the boxes in the garage marked 'we will be moving some time in the next millenium, really we will'. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Captain Jack Sparrow

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Cheers guys:

Upcoming:

June - Hilary Mantel, Beyond Black led by birdie.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

UCCLynn
Apprentice
# 16633

- Posted      Profile for UCCLynn   Email UCCLynn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very belated thank you to Scarlet for posting the link to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks! I haven't been online much lately and I hadn't noticed the link.

Thanks again!

Posts: 27 | From: Central Illinois, USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

As I am RC and of British and Irish ancestry, Kay's book fascinates me. I read part of the first chapter on Amazon and have ordered it from my local branch library: I should have it on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm hoping I can finish it within three weeks.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thanks for reminding me Sir Kevin, I've posted up a thread about it so people can get cracking.

I'll be interested to see what American members of the group make of it - it seemed very 'British' to me on a first reading.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Has anybody suggested the trilogy starting with Equations of Flight by Simon Morden?

Oh, I've been meaning to read one of his books for awhile, and having missed the last few book group threads, that would be a good time for me join in.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

In the March book group thread the question was asked how books are chosen for our discussion.
I welcome any suggestions for suitable books.
These should ideally be widely available, either to buy, download or borrow.

Books that inspire an enthusiasm among shipmates are more likely to appeal to a larger number.

Threads that work best are led by someone who knows the book and can draw the discussion out.
It helps if the book is in some way controversial.
Nothing worse than everyone agreeing!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Am I the only one who has heard the dramatization of Three Men in a Boat on Radio 4extra? It is fairly well-done, but the episode of the pineapple tin, with illustration in my first edition, was far funnier in print. Long-time readers may remember the discussion I led one or two years ago...

I likely did a good job because it is by far and away my favourite novel.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bumping up as I had a sudden panic this thread would sink while I'm Down Under.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

A heads up that April's book will be Iris Murdoch's Nuns and Soldiers.
The thread will be led by Gussie.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bump.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I'd like to facilitate a discussion of Terry Pratchett's "The Thief Of Time". One of his best, IMHO. It's got everything.
[Yipee]

I was thinking of July, August, or September...

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Last time we read a Pratchett we got a good response, so pick your month Golden Key!

Current programme looks exactly like this:

June - Hilary Mantel, Beyond Black led by birdie

Not many shipmates can get hold of a copy of Nuns and Soldiers, so if you have any interest in reading this, or any other Iris Murdoch, please join in if you can.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ok, Tree Bee. I'll do Terry Pratchett's "Thief of Time" in July, then.
[Smile]

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suggest Andrea Levy's The Long Song for August.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
I suggest Andrea Levy's The Long Song for August.

Looks interesting, you're on.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Pass - no interest. I shall try to locate the Pratchett.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Pratchett's not till July Sir K.

Forthcoming programme as follows:

June - Hilary Mantel, Beyond Black led by birdie

July - Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time led by Golden Key.

August - Andrea Levy, The Long Song led by QLib(?)

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016