homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » All Hands: the 2012 Craft Thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All Hands: the 2012 Craft Thread
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll start by posting Banner Lady's link

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Glory be and thanks to the very patient (and polite) crafters in here who contributed to Erin's banner.

so that we can continue to admire the reptilian glories.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Firenze - I was just about to post that! And thanks again to Banner Lady for organising this and sewing the pieces together.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks brilliant! Well done everyone! Looking forward to seeing close-ups of all the sections.

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's brilliant! I love the "pull up your big girl panties" one, can we see a bit more detail as I can't make out some of the others?

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great title for the thread, Firenze.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some time in the next week I will hopefully have a new camera and will take detailed pics, with explanations and provenance. Please stay tuned! It looks much better vertical, and as I was doing it, it felt very much like I was working on a window into Erin's life. There was great blessing in embracing it like that; because so many of the pieces had an iconic quality, in that there are simply images and words we associate solely with Erin.
And because she is now on one side of the window, and we are on the other

Thank you to Earwig for the lovely panties, bottom left; to Flausa for the poisonous dysfunctional gator-witch gobbling bunnies, top right; to Kitten for the marvellous patchwork piece bottom right; to Why Not Smile for one of the most accomplished applique pieces I've ever seen, centre top; to Boogie for the painted gator top left and the troll in the centre; to Lioplerodon for the hama beaded border on black ribbon; to Mrs.Shrew for the cross-stitch and sequined wording (which you can't really see in the photo, I'm afraid); and to protozoan for the stunning prints of the rat in the pistachio factory (again, you'll have to wait for the close-ups). I am so very sorry that Lamb Chopped's mola alligator is still circling the world. It is obviously lying in wait somewhere, and I sincerely hope it is not lost forever.

Next question: where does the banner go from here?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And of course thank you to those fabulous knitwits: St.Everild and Lothlorian for Great Googly Moogly with gator garnishes! Very clever crafters, all.
[Overused]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brilliant!

Looking forward to seeing more pics!

Weren't you going to send it to Erin's family? Or is my brain fried still?

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, that is fabulous! great job!
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most of my crafting this year will be wedding related. We've got over a year until we get married but will have to get the invites out this year. It's a vintage theme and as we're having a train trip around Europe as our honeymoon it will include travel images. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment but I'm looking forward to doing some designs in the next few weeks. It will be difficult to get simple designs that won't get boring to make!
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Brilliant!

Weren't you going to send it to Erin's family? Or is my brain fried still?

I believe there were three possibilities discussed.

1. Sending it to Simon for his office.

2. Getting it sent through SoF to Erin's family, if they want it.

3. Having it as part of an auction at some point this year to raise funds to keep SoF running, as SoF was so dear to Erin's heart and she put so much of her time into keeping it a fairly safe place to be.

And the Good News is that there has been news of Lamb Chopped's mola alligator. I have suggested to her that when it finally arrives back in either her hands or mine, that it be made into a card to accompany the banner, listing all the contributors and their pieces.

Nice to know that gators always surface sometime....
[Biased]

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sophs, I crafted almost all of our wedding stuff including 150 wedding invitations and service booklets, all the table setting labels and the table plan. Oh, and I also made 5 handbags for my bridesmaids.

Here is a link to some of the things I made.

It was such fun [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I also have some wedding based crafting to do this year, my son and his fiance have set the day for July 28th. I will be making the outfits for their two boys (nearly three and seven and a half months at the time of the wedding), My son wants a victorian themed outfit and would like the boys to match so I have bought some georgeous tweed to make all three of them waistcoats.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Sophs, I crafted almost all of our wedding stuff including 150 wedding invitations and service booklets, all the table setting labels and the table plan. Oh, and I also made 5 handbags for my bridesmaids.

It was such fun [Smile]
Auntie Doris x

Oh my word, those handbags are amazing. Do you sell your creations or is it just for gifting?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

It was such fun [Smile]
Auntie Doris x

Oh my word, those handbags are amazing. Do you sell your creations or is it just for gifting?
I have never sold any, always gave them away but have decided to create a stash pile with the view to doing some farmer's markets in the summer. I have no idea how to price stuff though!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Details, details, as promised!

When I find somewhere big enough to hang it, I'll take a couple more vertical pics of Erin's memorial banner for us all.

--------------------

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful!!! Y'all are sooooo talented!

These days I am mostly making cat and dog beds and blankets for the local humane society and things for Siamese Rescue (see sig) to sell, including these and these. Making this stuff does not require huge amounts of skill, but it does raise money for Siamese Rescue.

I am also planning to make all the window treatments for my sister-in-law's new house. As all she wants are drapery panels, this will not be hard. They're scheduled to move in sometime this spring. I already have all the fabric.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

When I find somewhere big enough to hang it, I'll take a couple more vertical pics of Erin's memorial banner for us all.

Thanks BL! It's great to see all the contributions. Loved them!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Banner Lady (and all who contributed) - that is so many kinds of amazing there isn't even words.

--------------------

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow! thanks all you talented shipmates!

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
wow. that's amazing. Erin I suspect would get all misty if she saw that. (though likely not admit it unless under duress)

what a beautiful tribute - you all are amazing.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Whoa. We have some serious talent on the Ship! I love Loth's knittygators! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Love the banner it is amazing.

This year as part of my new years resolution I AM going to knit myself something. I need to brave a bigger project, I can knit well but always do small projects (last year managed two toddler jumpers, tea cosy with picture on it, gloves for me, hat, scarf with picture on it, oh and dolls clothes.) This year I am going to be brave and make something bigger, possibly a jumper ready for next winter. Feel that I may need some encouragement to keep going as I have a short attention span!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
Feel that I may need some encouragement to keep going as I have a short attention span!

Knitting is inherently boring, so I get past it by using colours. Either a variegated/painted yarn, or, more frequently, assemble odd balls of approximately the same weight/composition and knot them up into a colourway. There are some
Kaffe Fassett patterns - the poppies for example which looks complicated but is just two contrasting balls, one for the background, and one for the flowers.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a problem that needs solving. My God daughter gave me two small hand embroidered pieces, which are important to her, but are the work of a nine year old in a household where there is no tradition of female handicrafts. What knitting, sewing, crocheting, embroidery and so on gets done, is normally done when I am around. I a pretty sure she made them herself.

Now I would like to take the pieces and do something with them so she can see I am pleased with her work. My initial idea was to make a cushion with them as in sets, any other ideas?

Secondly there is a problem with them being done by a nine year old. She has not understood the need to have a border. I therefore have very little spare fabric (typically double row of aida) to work with around the design. Any suggestions how to over come this?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Fusing and gimp, Jengie.

--------------------

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

If there's not much border could you use them as applique patches? i.e., applique them onto a larger piece, that you can then turn into a cushion, bag, whatever...

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could mount them on a larger piece of fabric, I suppose.

I've been knitting a very simple jumper for what seems like a Very Long Time - I've just finished the second panel, so I've now got front and back, and the sleeves are integral. It was supposed to be batwing, but it's ended up as two rectangular pieces, with a big of a border each end for the end of the (short) sleeves. So, do I just sew it together and forget about the waistband, or does it really need a waistband?

Meanwhile, I've decided I really need a new bathroom mat. I made a small mat some time ago by lucetting wool into loose cords, plaiting the cords and then weaving them onto a peg loom. It's lovely and chunky, and sits by my bed. The bathroom mat will be at least twice the size (about a yard wide and maybe half as much again long). It will also use up vast amounts of my wool stash! So I've started using the lucet now - but it's another long term project.
A lucet is a medieval tool, basically a handle with a crescent shape on top to loop the wool round in a figure of eight - then you pass the lower loops over the top loops to make the chain/cord. It's a fun one to do for historical re-enactment, and easy to teach - you can even do it round your fingers, without the tool.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Use fraycheck so the edges don't unravel and then applique them onto another cloth. I'd sugest satin stitch (if that's the right word for it?) all around the outside, in a complementary color.

Alternately you could really blow her mind by having them custom framed, and work with the shop to deal with the border issue (mats?). I did this with some embroidery for my husband.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is the year when I Make Stuff, rather than moaning about not making time to make stuff. So, have spent the holidays using up a load of my Gedifra colour stash making diagonal, short-row Mobius scarves, which have gone to members of family silly enough to admire them while I was knitting them. Am about to start on a cowl for me, using a gorgeous skein of Malabrigo Rasta in deep reds that I was give last Christmas. Pattern has been mailed to Kindle. Not sure why I let craft stuff go these last couple of years, even a few rows at bedtime is hugely relaxing. [Smile]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
...really blow her mind by having them custom framed, and work with the shop to deal with the border issue (mats?). I did this with some embroidery for my husband.

Or even just starch them really well, and have mounts cut professionally - you can then get away with cheap ready made frames.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well this is embroidery by a nine year old, she is not untalented but has nobody to encourage the talent and I would feel sorry for the framer who tried to frame them professionally.

I have taken Banner Lady's suggestion of fusing and gimp well Wonda-web and ribbon. It has worked. Rough edges are now hidden and the embroidery securely attached to the fabric.

Now all I need to do is unearth my sewing machine and actually make up the cushion cover.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin] Back in the days when we (almost) had more money then sense, we shocked a local framer by having her do a manila envelope. It had a beautiful drawing on it--executed in M-and-M candies. Seriously. The artist was one of our young men who had landed in prison, come to faith, and had done this artwork with the only materials available to him.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Firenze but I want it to be winter/ Christmas themed I think.

Adrienne how do you get patterns to your kindle?

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the openfronted, waterfall/drape front type cardigans that are so fashionable now. I have seen knitting patterns for them, but I can't knit! I've seen a crochet pattern for a jacket made of motifs, but I don't particularly like motifs. Can anyone help?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

St. Gwladys I'm guessing the answer that you are not looking for is learn to knit. [Snigger]

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I love the openfronted, waterfall/drape front type cardigans that are so fashionable now. I have seen knitting patterns for them, but I can't knit! I've seen a crochet pattern for a jacket made of motifs, but I don't particularly like motifs. Can anyone help?

In all matters such as these Ravelry is your friend. Totally worth signing up if you have anything more than a passing interest in knitting or crochet.

A quick search suggested:
Elsa Waterfall Cardigan (which I think is made of motifs, but doesn't really look like it.)

Boboletta (which isn't motifs, so might be more your sort of thing.)

Crochet Lace Wrap Top

There were others, but I couldn't find easy links to the patterns for them. If you don't like those, I would suggest looking at how the ruffle bit on the front is done and altering a standard cardigan pattern to add the ruffle, which wouldn't be too hard.

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thanks Firenze but I want it to be winter/ Christmas themed I think.

Adrienne how do you get patterns to your kindle?

If you have a pattern in pdf format, you can email it to your kindle using your kindle identity @free.kindle.com - you will probably have to log into your kindle account first on Amazon to enable your email sending address to be accepted by your kindle.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or, of course, attach the kindle to the 'puter using the natty white USB cable and copy the pdf to the kindle document folder.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Thanks Firenze but I want it to be winter/ Christmas themed .

We are possibly at cross purposes. I was thinking of the interesting aleatory effects of using one or more prepared colour ways - the actual pattern or motif you apply them to is secondary. The point is they address the boredom issue because you don't know how it is going to turn out until you knit it.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Or, of course, attach the kindle to the 'puter using the natty white USB cable and copy the pdf to the kindle document folder.

I have found some frustration in both these methods. They work and they don't work and sometimes they work after a dozen attempts. I have also opened from Word a pattern from my knitting folder and then saved it as a PDF and sent it. Be aware also that graphs don't always translate well into kindle format.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Firenze definitely thinking that either a picture of some kind on it, or lots of cable etc is the way to go. Nearly finished my current project so need to decide soon. Might be brave enough to pick a plain jumper and work out a picture myself to go on it.

--------------------

Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
quote:
... how do you get patterns to your kindle?

If you have a pattern in pdf format, you can email it to your kindle using your kindle identity @free.kindle.com - you will probably have to log into your kindle account first on Amazon to enable your email sending address to be accepted by your kindle.
Yes, this. But it also converts Word and other formats to pdf automatically. I think you do have to go into Amazon account and enable it, even if it tells you it is enabled already - I had a load of trouble at the start, but it works fine now. I don't think it would replace a print out for me for a complex chart, but for a quick reminder or something straightforward I love it.
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Picked a pattern, bought the wool, from the lovely wool shop down the road, who said to bring it in if I get stuck as they will help me understand what I should be doing. I've gone with grey for the main colour and either red or pink for the pattern (going to ask my flatmates opinion, then the shop said I could return which ever one I didn't need.) Will have to see how I get on with it.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a little knitting splurge in the weeks before Christmas, which I may or may not have mentioned in last year's thread.
There was a camel fora friend whose nativity set had none,
a pair of hand puppets for my grandsons, fingerless mitts for my DiL, and Hello Kitty mittens for my granddaughter.

I now have two BSJs on the go, for babies expected in the coming year. It's three years since I last had a new baby to knit for, so I'm enjoying getting my head round that pattern again.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Love your camel. BSJs are great. A shapeless lump of knitting turns into a jacket with a few well placed seams. I've also done the February baby sweater from Elizabeth Zimmermann. Be careful if you do that one. It's easy but buttonholes are not mentioned and it's easy to get to bottom of yoke and have none.

Last year was my year of fingerless gloves. Made lots as gifts, different patterns and all well received.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a yen to do some redwork -- redwork dish towels or potholders. (We actually could use some new dish towels.) I have a few flour-sack towels I could embroider, but they seem so flimsy...not quite what I had in mind. I do have the the iron-on retro designs, though. So one of these days I can get going on them.
Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Like I've said on my blog post here I want to try crocheting. Any hints? Is it hard? Have I set myself a truly impossible target?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Like I've said on my blog post here I want to try crocheting. Any hints? Is it hard? Have I set myself a truly impossible target?

It's easier than knitting - until you reach shaping. And so long as you keep an eye open for the number of stitches in a row (where you put the end stitches), or your squares will go peculiar.

There is only one tool to manipulate - which is why I started on it instead of knitting, which I could not manage when I was a child. Make it a fairly thick hook to start with, and fairly thick, but plain, yarn. Use space dyed yarn for colour changes at the beginning, so you don't have to join yarn. It's quite easy, neater than knitting, but save it to learn later.

Use an instruction book with photos, not drawings. The stitches look much more complicated than knitting stitches, especially when drawn, but are really quite easy to find your way through. I expect there are some Youtube videos to help, too.

Another advantage is that when the phone rings, or other interruption strikes, it doesn't matter if you stop mid row. You won't get a hole, as you would in knitting.

Don't start with granny afghan squares with corners to turn. Start with a scarf which has straight rows. If it goes slanty because of getting where you put the end stitches wrong, it's a design feature.

You aren't limited by the size of needles, so you don't need to make things in pieces like a dress pattern, but can make them in the round, with no seams.

Happy crocheting.

Penny

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loads of Youtube stuff available. Though the first one I watched looks as though it will produce a slanty piece by not doing a linking stitch at the start of a row. Hmm.

Penny

[ 11. January 2012, 12:53: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016