homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » All Hands: the 2012 Craft Thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All Hands: the 2012 Craft Thread
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Picture now on blog (see sig). Not 100% perfect, but I'm pretty chuffed. SJ calls it her princess dress [Smile]
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's cute, Jenn. Calling it a 'princess dress' sounds like pretty good endorsement.

At the weekend I knitted up and sewed the arms and legs on a tiny teddy for a friend's baby who was dedicated. Gave me a bit of energy for the gigantic ripple crochet blanket I'm working on. Only a month or so (I can probably stretch it to six weeks) to go on that one. Then I'll have to think of something new to do. There are babies being gestated all over the place, so I imagine I'll be able to keep fairly busy on that front.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since I last posted I finished the shawls I made for my sister and her (now) wife at their civil partnership. By a complete fluke the shawls matched the colours of their wedding dresses exactly!

Now am working on a Merlin scarf for my mother's 75th. I'm doing it in silk, as wool irritates her skin, and not in stripes as the yarn I'm using is self-striped in very subtle pale green/pale grey. If only I can get it finished in time, there's only a month to go, and I still have 6 repeats of the pattern left to do...

And then there's also another baby surprise jacket to do before mid-July for one of my children's teachers, who is leaving to have her baby. So much knitting! So little time!

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That Merlin looks light as a feather. Very pretty.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
Picture now on blog (see sig). Not 100% perfect, but I'm pretty chuffed. SJ calls it her princess dress [Smile]

That befits a twirly princess going round and round with skirts flying. Very pretty.

Justine has lots of cute and quick baby things here. Quick, easy and different to make. I've now made five of her aviatrix hats which have always been well received. Last one took just a few hours in smallest size. Some patterns are free, others for sale. She was in Sydney but moved back home to NZ.

Click on PATTERNS in top right.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Help! Heeeelp! I need sock help.

I recently learned to knit, and made a bebby jacket for a bebby. I now want to have a go at socks, and I've found some patterns and got myself some socky needles.

But but but, all the patterns I can find tell you to cast on 40 stitches for the cuff. Really? I have quite chunky little ankles, and that seems pretty skinny.

Do I need a pattern for bigger people? If so, where could I find one that would be ok for a beginner. I've tried on Ravelry but I couldn't see any that looked right. Heeeelp!

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Earwig - for what it's worth, I generally cast on about 72 stitches (in 4ply sock yarn on 2.5mm needles) for the cuff. My ankles are on the chunky side of average, I reckon.

If you're not doing any kind of exciting patterning for the body of the sock, then it doesn't matter whether you cast on the number stipulated: just eg make sure there are multiples of the right number for ribbing.

This may not be helpful...

Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Missed edit window [Frown]

You might find it easier to go for a recipe like this one which gives you free choice over how many stitches, what yarn, etc, but tells you how to cope with them when you've got them.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I use 60-64 stitches with 4 ply sock yarn.

If you find a pattern you like you can often adjust i to fit. eg a purl rib between pattern repeats, or two purls or none if you need fewer stitches.

DOn;t forget that size of needles will change size of sock too. Find a plainish pattern and experiment a bit. SOmetimes I use a bigger needle on cuff and smaller on foot.

After all, who will really be that close to see.

Have fun. POst again with any questions, I know others here also knit socks.

I wear only handknit socks now, my feet love them.

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Theophania and Loth, that's really helpful. Glad I'm not going mad - 40 stitches did seem not enough!

Theophania - I love the sock recipe pattern and will definately give it a go. Will post back with problems or pictures!

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh, I have only ever knitted socks using a loom and I kind of made it up as I went along, as is my wont. Probably not something I should take up right now though, plenty of projects to work my way through.

Yesterday I did a little crochet after work but I spent the work day driving around the country to hold meetings. My supervisor was doing the actual driving so I got all the little bits for a tiny teddy knitted up. Just need to sew on a face, stuff and sew it all together. My tension was a bit tight from being physically tense about dropping stitches while we were on the move, but I don't think it will have made all that much difference.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Earwig, another thought about knitting socks.

When I first started doing socks some years ago now, I remember reading ahead through the directions and getting all uptight about them. They just did not seem to make sense.

Now I think reading through is generally a good idea, but not for socks.

If directions don't seem to make sense, just do them as they say. It will work and you'll feel very clever and pleased with yourself as a heel emerges from your handwork.

Just don't do as I did once when I was very upset about the nasty direction my personal life was heading in. I picked up my knitting, looked at the length of the leg and promptly did a heel. When I was part way down the foot, something felt wrong. I had a sock with two heels at right angles to each other. The sock looked ridiculous and I had wasted a good deal of time.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a metaphor.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
It was a metaphor.

Definitely.
[Biased]

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

Thanks Loth! A metaphor indeed. [Smile]

I only just read your post, but as luck would have it, I did just that - only read the instructions I needed next. I'm using the sock recipe Theophania posted, and I have done mt first heel turn! Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

My gussets are a bit saggy. But such is life. I'll darn over them when I've finished.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:

My gussets are a bit saggy.

Botox works

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

My gussets are a bit saggy.

Botox works
The voice of experience? [Biased]

Darn those gussets!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

quote:
I have done mt first heel turn! Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

My gussets are a bit saggy. But such is life. I'll darn over them when I've finished.

YAY for the heel turn! Isn't it like magic?

The gussets might cheer up a bit once it's been worn and washed a few times. Knitting is very stretchy and forgiving.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have finally finished Ishbel III, in red, for my friend Rachel to wear in the University Library when it's chilly. I'll get it to her today, and then start a new project. Trying to decide now what that should be. Another shawl (I love knitting in lace weight--so portable, even when it's big)? Another Baby Surprise Jacket? Or something I've never done before?

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

quote:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Pride, coming before a fall. I tried my nearly finished sock on last night, and realised it was far too big. I'd miscalculated the number of stitches I needed to cast on.

I've frogged my whole sock. [Waterworks]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm knitting with Noro Silk Garden Lite - intermixed with some slightly less eye-wateringly expensive Rowan silk-mix yarn. I started with a couple of balls from a London branch of John Lewis, and was trying to find out if the Edinburgh one stocked it.

'Hello, I'm enquiring about a knitting yarn by Noro - silk garden lite.

What kind of light is it?

No, that's just the name. L-I-T-E. You stock other yarns by that maker. I just want to know if you have this one.

I'll put you through to the department.

Thanks.

Hello, Lighting here...'

Eventually I bought some on e-Bay.

However, given the wild variations within shades - and I have 3 - I'm having to knit front and back in parallel to ensure the colours are roughly commensurate. I'm aiming for browns/black, with touches of blue, at the bottom, working up to pinks and greens at the top, via quite a few other colours en route.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
I have finally finished Ishbel III, in red, for my friend Rachel to wear in the University Library when it's chilly. I'll get it to her today, and then start a new project. Trying to decide now what that should be. Another shawl (I love knitting in lace weight--so portable, even when it's big)? Another Baby Surprise Jacket? Or something I've never done before?

Ishbel beret?

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
However, given the wild variations within shades - and I have 3 - I'm having to knit front and back in parallel to ensure the colours are roughly commensurate. I'm aiming for browns/black, with touches of blue, at the bottom, working up to pinks and greens at the top, via quite a few other colours en route.

That's a good tale, Firenze.

I love the Noro colours and loathe the knots. If other brands can get many more metres without knots, why not Noro?

I made a hat for DIL in foresty colours Silk Garden which she loved but I found I had to buy a second skein although theoretically I had plenty according o the label. That was $$$ouch! It was almost AUD $40 a ball. Expensive hat. My gauge was fine, I suspect short yardage in ball.

The other problem I find is that most Noro hurts my arthritic fingers and I can do only a few rows at a time in it.

Such a pity the colours are lovely.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Lite is very much better spun than the heavier version - very few knots and a (fairly) even thickness. Also, the e-Bay purchases were half the shop price - though obviously, it's a bit pig-in-a-poke.

The health problem for me - I expect it would be the same for any yarn - was that knitting was exacerbating the fingertip dermatitis. Answer: cut the fingers off a disposable vinyl catering glove to make individual stalls.

The gloves are a boon for just about any practical activity, btw.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I read:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
knitting was exacerbating the fingertip dermatitis. Answer: cut the fingers off

[Eek!]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had fun crocheting with a vari-coloured yarn last year. I was making a jacket, and wanted it symetrical, so had to work out which balls started with the same pattern of colours to do the two fronts and the sleeves. The end result was worth the extra effort, and won first prize at our local agricultural show.

Can anyone help me on this though? I've been doing some basic needlefelting, and have had the bright idea of making a bookmark. It's got to be an easy shape and have colour worked into it so that it doesn't just look as if I've cut the shape out of bought felt. Can anyone suggest a shape/pattern/template?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
15 years ago, when our previous vicar moved parish, we made a friendship quilt. Loads of people signed patches, and we embroidered over the signatures, and I said "never again".

Guess what? The daughter of Sue, one of our church wardens does patchwork, and Sue, bless her, has roped her in to make a patchwork quilt.

I was off work today and managed to sew over a couple of signatures. My eyes aren't as good as they were 15 years ago, and I've had fune and games threading the needle, but I've now managed tro fine an effective needle threader, but have decided I hate "j"'s.

Ah well, if the secret's kept as well as the last one, they will have a big surprise in September!

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Wow, that sounds like a substantial labour! I am always in awe of embroiderers and quilters as I have very little patience for either craft.

My ripple blanket has taken a bit of a hiatus and that may be a problem. I have probably 5 weeks to get it finished and 9 balls of yarn to get through in that time. So it looks like I will be popping in here with updates so that I can muster some motivation. Since a ball of yarn is about 3 rows (although there's no guarantee I'll finish at the end of a ball), I'm looking at nearly 4 rows a week. Do-able but it really will take a little bit of work every evening and some concerted effort at the weekends.

And, of course, just as the second wedding anniversary I'm crocheting for approaches, my brother and sister-in-law announce that I will be an auntie early next year. So now I'm concocting baby-things in my head. Perhaps I'll take a wee break and knit some baby leggings or something before I ask if they'd like a baby ripple blanket, which would, after all, feel like a breeze following this mammoth construction.

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I was off work today and managed to sew over a couple of signatures. My eyes aren't as good as they were 15 years ago, and I've had fune and games threading the needle, but I've now managed tro fine an effective needle threader, but have decided I hate "j"'s.

I love signature quilts! What a lovely present.

St Gwladys - have you ever come across Spiral Eye Needles? I've never used them but they look great for people who find threading a needle difficult!

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just finished making Carol's Clever Little Shawl. It is currently 'blocking', pinned out damp on the spare bed. Next is to finish off a couple of small items I'm knitting in readiness for the Shoebox Appeal in the autumn, and then it's on to another shawl/wrap/stole.
I went to Fibre East on Saturday and bought a skein each of two lovely yarns, and have a couple of skeins of sugar cane yarn stashed, so I have now to decide what pattern and which yarn.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I've never come across the spiral eye needles or the one second needles - I'll have to have a look and sww if there are any UK suppliers.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

You can definitely get something like the one-second needles in the UK, St G. My mum had a packet a few years ago but I don't know where they came from. They're not too bad to use, you just have to remember to tug on the thread itself rather than using the needle to get things really tight. The eyes do eventually break, but that's the price you pay for being able to thread them quickly and easily.

A quick google reveals that Betterware, John Lewis and Amazon should supply them in the UK.

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I finally finished the rainbow quilt I made me cousin and his wife for his wedding. The pictures are here.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got a couple of knitting-related questions, thought someone on this thread might be able to help.

First, can anyone suggest where I can get some 2.5mm double-pointed knitting needles? I'm in the UK, local place doesn't have (and might struggle to order), have also checked local branch of HobbyCraft to no avail, and HobbyCraft's website doesn't show them as stocking them.

Second, I've got a mitten pattern that calls for 3.5mm needles to do the ribbing round the wrists. Shops have 3.25mm and 3.75mm, same problem as the 2.5mm above when it comes to finding 3.5mm. I have an old pair of Imperial size 9, which appear to be in between 3.5mm and 3.75mm - anyone know if they'd be OK, or if I'm better chasing up the 3.5mm ones?

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
I finally finished the rainbow quilt I made me cousin and his wife for his wedding. The pictures are here.

Auntie Doris x

That's gorgeous!

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
can anyone suggest where I can get some 2.5mm double-pointed knitting needles?...
...if I'm better chasing up the 3.5mm ones?

You will have trouble finding either size in the UK as we don't have needles sizes equivalent to those metric measurements. The 2.5mm don't seem to exist in the US either, according to this comparison website. I'm surprised you have patterns requiring those sizes - or are the from some other place?

Your best bet is to try needles in the sizes either side of those quoted and see which are giving the nearest stitch/row count to the gauge the pattern stipulates.
That is always the best course anyway (or so I am told [Biased] )

[ 17. July 2012, 21:29: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
First, can anyone suggest where I can get some 2.5mm double-pointed knitting needles?

I have three pairs of 2.5mm needles, none of which were at all hard to come by in the UK. I regularly knit slightly thicker socks on them. Here are some possible online sources:

Get Knitted

I Knit London

Loop

Each of these stock a range of different types of double pointed needles in a range of lengths and materials. All of them come in 2.5mm.

Personally I recommend the Kollage square needles as I think their coating has just the right amount of grip for good sock knitting. I also think the square needles tend to make stitches more even. The Knit Pro Symphonie needles are beautiful and nice to knit with, though personally I prefer metal needles as I knit tight and tend to bend (or even snap) wooden or bamboo needles. I know others who swear by them though so go for what you personally prefer.

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

quote:
quote:

Auntie Doris x

That's gorgeous!
Seconded!

I am proving decidedly rubbish since declaring I would put more effort in on my ripple blanket. Not a stitch has left my hook all week. And tonight I have baking to do. At least if it turns out to be a miserable weekend I will have a purpose for hours spent in the house.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
quote:
First, can anyone suggest where I can get some 2.5mm double-pointed knitting needles?

I have three pairs of 2.5mm needles, none of which were at all hard to come by in the UK.
My apologies - if I'd thought about it for a bit longer I'd have realised that now needles are produced in metric sizes the gap that used to exist in the old UK numbered sizes would have been filled.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
quote:
quote:

Auntie Doris x

That's gorgeous!
Seconded!

Thirded! Lovely colours and prints, Auntie D
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
quote:

I have three pairs of 2.5mm needles, none of which were at all hard to come by in the UK. I regularly knit slightly thicker socks on them. Here are some possible online sources:
Thanks! I'll have a proper look at those when I'm home. The problem with Oxford is that all the useful shops close down due to high rents...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have you tried ebay? Much as I support local shops, sometimes they don't sell what I want, so I fall back on this.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

Celtic Knotweed - the last 2.5mms I bought were a madly gimmicky set from Regia, stocked by John Lewis, that come as a set of five with little rubber socks to keep them all together / keep the yarn on them. According to the lable they come in 2, 2.5, 3 and 3.5mm. Probably available over the interweb somehow? Or I can post you some from London [Smile]

I have blogged about my growing obsession with mitred square blankets. Now knitting my third...

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Well, I got a row completed over the weekend. It was like pulling teeth. I'm not bored of the project, just finding very little time to squeeze it into. Perhaps a concerted effort this week will help. I'm also hoping that living in a house with a television will give me sitting and crocheting time, but it doesn't always seem to work that way.

And I'm moving house in a couple of weeks. That could seriously eat into my available crochet time. I have previously brought projects all sorts of places with me to get a little done in lunch hours and during miscellaneous waiting times but this is a pretty bulky blanket, not the sort of thing you can carry around easily on the off-chance of some time to add a few stitches. Ho hum.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lost track of how many back to back projects I've done this year - but I am feeling extraordinarily pleased with myself for turning some unwanted white A5 envelopes into snappy little gift bags. I was visiting an office, and rescued a box of them from being thrown out even though they had the logo of a defunct politician in one corner.

I wanted them for a local mission that uses these gift bags - and have saved them at least $50. In the process I discovered how easy it is to make your own gift bags. The trick is to use a box the right dimension for the bag to fold the bottom part (just like beginning to wrap a present). The rest is easy.

It's the simple things that keep me happy. [Smile]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@Banner Lady That's such a good idea! Why had I never thought to make my own gift bags before.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heh. The name of the polly and the Australian coat of arms got folded neatly into the base of each bag. I had to find a box that slid neatly inside the envelope without being too fat. Actually, the envelopes worked really well, because once the end is cut off to make a cylinder of paper, you are left with two nice creases at the centre of each side and that makes it so much easier to push them the opposite way to get that inverted side fold that carrier bags have. Even the envelope flap at the top was handy for reinforcement for the handles. The bit I cut off the bottom got reglued on to the other side at the top so each handle had reinforcement. I used a double hole punch and then knotted in some rafia or ribbon for the handles. The bases need good fast craft glue to make them stick as you fold them, but the bases of the bags were really strong by the time I'd finished.

Yes. This was A Good Thing!

Editing to add I am now going to attempt to make some from old calendar pictures. I figure that large calendars should have about enough paper in them to do this. I'll let you know how I go!

[ 24. July 2012, 01:24: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love this thread!

I am at present making the cake for our patronal, but in due course have a new cassock for the Vicar, a High Mass set and matching cope, some servers capes and some curtains for the Lady Chapel to make.

The cassocks each have 39 buttons, plus 9 more on the cape. And 48 button holes, even though most of them will never, ever be used.

Apart from that, it is going to be a quiet summer.

[ 24. July 2012, 07:25: Message edited by: Anglo Catholic Relict ]

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also, during Lent I painted the Easter candle for my church. If anyone wants to have a go at that some time, I can explain how; acrylic paint mostly.

It has a vine leaf curling all round it, then on the front, in order, a wheatsheaf, Our Lady, the cross and date (as usual), the Agnus Dei and another wheatsheaf, and on the back St Mary Magdalen and the Risen Lord, St Maximilian Kolbe and St Cecila.

It took pretty well all of Lent to do it, but it was good to do. Father likes it, because he decided what he wanted on it; I just did the painting by numbers (ie copying images from elsewhere)

I remembered because it got knocked over 2 Sundays ago, and I spent most of last week gluing it back together again and repainting it.

[ 24. July 2012, 07:32: Message edited by: Anglo Catholic Relict ]

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Managed nearly another row last night. I can do this.

But I just want to go and look at cute little baby things - becoming an auntie could provide a wonderful excuse to get to work on lots of speedy little projects.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016