homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » All Hands: the 2012 Craft Thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All Hands: the 2012 Craft Thread
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My woollen medieval dress is successfully made - and I had a break in the middle of making it to pop round the corner to watch children learning to clog dance at the local craft fair!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations on the dress Eigon.

I've just finished the second of two cross stitch birth samplers. The children were born in 2005 & 2006 and I started them in 2008. [Hot and Hormonal]

I finished the main design work quite a while ago but couldn't work out how to work out the placement of the names and dates and kept putting off thinking about it.

The eldest was thrilled with hers when I gave it to her a few weeks ago. So that made it worth while.

I have learnt that I don't like doing cross stitch very much.

I'm experimenting with surface embroidery which I prefer doing.

Next up is finishing a large number of small knitted ufos which all ground to a halt for various reasons. I'm a beginning knitter and I hit some sort of snag with them all and they got put in the pending bag.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At church we are planning to have a Christmas fair, and was wondering if people had ideas of things that I can make, and that are usually good sellers.
Also I have suggested a few craft evenings before hand, ideas of things that we could do/ suggest to people might be useful as well.

Thanks

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've made these mini knitted Christmas stockings a couple of times for fundraisers: they look really impressive, are dead easy to make (I used to knit them in lectures [Hot and Hormonal] ) and sell like hot cakes.

Mine are here.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Next up is finishing a large number of small knitted ufos which all ground to a halt for various reasons. I'm a beginning knitter and I hit some sort of snag with them all and they got put in the pending bag.

My knitting halted when I started getting eczema on one of my fingers (the one that the yarn winds around). I thought it had cleared, but when I started up again, it returned, this time with a vengeance [Waterworks]

Will I forever be knitting with gloves on?!!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How upsetting. Eczema is very mysterious. Would a small plaster or light bandage round the finger when knitting help?

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theophania:
I've made these mini knitted Christmas stockings a couple of times for fundraisers: they look really impressive, are dead easy to make (I used to knit them in lectures [Hot and Hormonal] ) and sell like hot cakes.

Mine are here.

Oooh - those are gorgeous! I've just clicked on the 'free patterns' link on that site and there are lots of other things that would be brilliant at a Christmas fair - Christmas-themed and otherwise. Thanks for the link Theophania.
[Smile]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made similar one year to hold small tags for gifts. They don't take long and they were very popular.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's where I got the instructions for knitting tiny teddies, although I cheat and crochet the ears to make them nice and round.

Late last night I finished the anniversary blanket. Totally failed to take any pictures, measurements or even count the stripes. Even so, I figure it's about 6' x 4' and contains around 1.5 kilos of cotton yarn. Because the ripple stripes run lengthways and are two rows deep each one took around 2 hours and IIRC there are over 40 of them, maybe even 50 or 60 - I shall have to get my brother and sister-in-law to do a count when they receive it. I am quite proud of it and hope they enjoy it.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
quote:

My knitting halted when I started getting eczema on one of my fingers (the one that the yarn winds around). I thought it had cleared, but when I started up again, it returned, this time with a vengeance [Waterworks]

Sounds like an allergy, to wool or to lanolin maybe. If so, you probably don't want to keep provoking it, it'll get worse. But if it is allergy, and you can identify the offender, maybe using a different kind of yarn would be okay.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there some stuff that's in woolen yarn that isn't in woolen (commercial) garments? Because I wear wool, and it's fine, so I can't imagine it's that. And I've been using E45 with no problems, so it's not lanolin.

So frustrating!

Though I now have a box of disposable gloves to use when cleaning and who knew that Marigolds made industrial strength rubber gloves. I just picked these ones for the nice blue colour. I reckon I saw the "biohazard" symbol on the packaging!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am not a (medical) doctor, but if you want to test the allergy idea in a very rough and ready way, get a piece of that yarn, lay it in the crease of your inner elbow (you know, where the skin is nice and thin?) and put a bandage over it to keep it in place for about 24 hours. If you have no itching, etc. by that point you're probably not allergic (though no guarantees!) and maybe it's just friction or whatever. If you DO get redness and itching, it's likely to be allergy--then try an antihistamine and see if it gets better right away. If it does, well, talk to the doctor, allergy is highly likely. Though you still won't know without further fiddly testing whether it's the wool itself or just something in the dye, etc.

Being able to wear wool is a good thing but maybe not a sure guarantee in the allergy dept. I have several things where I show no allergic reaction as long as my exposure stays below a certain level. It could be that you're all right to wear wool but not to have it constantly wound semi-tightly around a finger--just as I can enjoy my dog with no problems provided I don't sleep with my face in his fur.

[ 29. August 2012, 02:19: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ecu, can you pinpoint a certain time when it started? eg moving from Australia. Or is it just one brand only? Or one colour? How about alpaca? Does it have the same reaction? In which case it could well be friction.

Try knitting continental style where you scoop the yarn with needle. Lots of videos. Again, this would separate friction and any allergy.

I am somewhat of a yarn snob and enjoy lovely yarns, but the truth is some acrylics are quite nice. All acrylics however, burn my fingers as I knit with them. So I have some justification for my snobbishness.

Hope you work out what it is. I would hate to give up knitting.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Any chance it was amplified by a latex allergy to the gloves?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Mine are here.

They are lovely! Thanks for sharing the link. As soon as I've finished knitting the body warmer I'm making as a Christmas pressie I'll start on those.... perhaps for 2013 though [Smile]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Dr tells me it's pompholyx eczema, which is a mysterious kind of thing. Currently it's doing ok with the prescription steroid cream and me being careful of "my poor delicate hands".

Previous box of gloves I had were disposable vinyl ones. Currently have the blue nitrile ones. No latex anywhere. I've got tubes of E45 scattered throughout the house/car/handbags so I can keep moisturised, and have replaced soap with aqueous cream.

The info I've found online has generally been pretty consistent and sensible sounding, except for the UK Eczema Society which listed homeopathy as a treatment! I tweeted this, and sparked off an argument with a couple of homeopathy apologists [brick wall]

After the current outbreak has cleared, I might have a go at the tape-yarn-in-elbow thing. If I remember right, I think it originally started while I was knitting with a silk/cotton blend.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ecumaniac

I do not know if this is useful but could it be friction related?

I think this would require some enviromental irritant which basically makes you susceptible but then the yarn moving over while knitting creates an extra stress and so the flare up.

I only get very mild stuff but I know at the stage before an out break my skin becomes very rough (no inflamation, redness or such) and I get paper cuts very easily.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to Lothlorien, I spent my fortnight's holiday knitting a large all-lace Brangian shawl in lace-weight merino (Malbrigo lace, for yarn mavens). It's nearly done--just a couple more rows of Chart 3 and the picot edge. Then I'll have three shawls to block on the living room rug--the Brangian, a sky-blue Holden, and a grey-blue 'Age of Brass and Steam.' Whatever next? [Smile]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
a grey-blue 'Age of Brass and Steam.'

That sounds really cool. Link to a photo/pattern?

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having recently acquired a nephew, this sounds like an excuse to start knitting small clothing.

Anyone got any favourite suggestions? I'm thinking more in the jumpers line, and looking at stuff for at least 3months, more likely nearer to 6month (on premise that by the time I've done it, he will have grown substantially). And I don't really do cute.

That said, I am thinking about trying to knit animals - am I being too ambitious, do you think?

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Baby Surprise Jacket. Lots of 'em in different sizes.
After that, I remember knitting a lot of small v-necked fairaisle vests which were fun.
Hats and mittens (to match both of the above).

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
a grey-blue 'Age of Brass and Steam.'

That sounds really cool. Link to a photo/pattern?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-age-of-brass-and-steam-kerchief

The link will be infuriatingly long, I fear, but here it is.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In between many craft projects for various organizations, I have finally got around to putting a 'new' outer cover on my favourite padded Japanese jacket. I wore it so much that it was disintegrating. Then I remembered a roll of antique silk I had picked up in a second hand kimono store in Tokyo four years ago (when I bought the jacket). It was a long kimono that someone had cut out wrongly or incompletely, and I got it for $5 Australian. It was exactly the right amount for recovering the jacket, and I was even able to lengthen it as I went. Hoping to finish it completely today. WOOHOO! Two bits of useless stuff now made into one useful item. Yay!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That's such a good feeling to have, Banner Lady. Well done.

I have to investigate my quilted silk jacket which is a good deal older than yours. Last year I patched the lining under the arms and also reinforced cuffs with some ribbon which was all I could find to use at the time.

Last Friday evening when it was well below zero and snowing in Bowral, I put my hand into one pocket for my gloves. Ooops! my finger went through pocket lining and made a hole. I haven't had a good look at it but think it won't be an easy mend.

[ 08. September 2012, 01:22: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Due to a bad back I've been really struggling to use the sewing machine, but today I managed it for nearly an hour, string piecing for a stacked coins stripe quilt for a friend. I'm planning on a wind strip of the stacked coins off center with a navy background. The bulk of piecing is now done so I'm feeling very proud of myself!
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ecumaniac, my mother gets eczema on her hands from knitting - and ropes when she's sailing / windsurfing. She wears cotton gloves on her hands to protect them, and heavy duty rubber gloves over the top for the sailing.

I haven't been knitting enough and certainly not using wool to get that form of eczema, but it's another reason I don't knit in wool which both my daughter and I react to if we wear it next to skin, nor can we use creams containing lanolin. Latex rubber gloves aren't good if you're allergic - I can't do them either, or most washing up liquids.

E45 cream is lanolin free, isn't it? As are the Vaseline creams. Favourite cream currently is coconut oil.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had to give up on any yarn that is at all textured. I can just get away with working cotton and cotton mixes. I have vats of Diprobase in the house, and tubes in my handbag and spongebag.

Racing to complete a picture jumper before I go away on Sunday. The front is a stand of trees and beyond them a lake and hill. Back, just the one tree (having run low on the trunk/branch colour). Sleeves ditto. The ground and trees are in a variegated yarn which has a colour way from greeny-yellow through grey to blues and navy. Four other shades of blue and lemon. It looks slightly weird, but not unconvincing.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
It looks slightly weird, but not unconvincing.

[Killing me] I hope you will share a photo.

How do you get on with bamboo yarn?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The trouble with bamboo is, that while it is soft and drapes well, it drops dreadfully. I have a jumper in it that is steadily migrating into a dress.

I'm hoping this tendency may be kept in check in this instance by the admixture of other, firmer yarns.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The picture knit.

Hopefully that link is visible.

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very impressive Firenze

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This afternoon I made a little grey felt cat brooch (OK, it was from a kit, but you have to start somewhere, right?) and I am quite pleased with it.

There was sufficient in the kit to make 2 brooches, so I'm going to look for some vivid green beads for the eyes (instead of the black ones that were in the kit) because I have grey cats with vivid green eyes IRL, and it will be cool to have a matching brooch. I'll probably give the one I made away as a present.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze, that is stunning! Very lovely!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Stunning indeed... And it must have taken ages!
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been making some cards.

Here is the front of a card for each of my fellow students as we are licensed as Readers on 6th October. This is the back

This is a Thank You card.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Stunning indeed... And it must have taken ages!
Not really. On and off, 4/5 weeks maybe. I do this stuff because it is actually quicker than plain knitting (because more interesting).
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ElaineC, the recipients of your beautiful cards are very fortunate! I have a dear friend who makes specialized cards like that, and I am always so pleased to get one! (It makes me feel special!)

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
The picture knit.

Hopefully that link is visible.

Firenze that reminds me of a wonderful jumper my dear lamented MiL made for me - it had a Lake District scene on the front, with mountains and lakes and a house, and lambs frolicking. We had to buy enough wool for two, and when she handed it over to me, she said 'S, if any of your friends want one like this ....

...tell them to knit it themselves!'

Later, Mr. S saw someone else wearing one, and he came home to tell me he'd seen someone else wearing my jumper - but she had 'fatter sheep on broader fields!'

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

the phrase remains in our collective vocabulary to this day and I still have the jumper.

Mrs. S, cherishing the frolicking lambs!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Frolicking lambs sound fab!

Today I have accidentally started a sock yarn blanket. It's clearly going to be a work in progress for several years...

jedijudy

# 333

bump

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Frolicking lambs sound fab!

Today I have accidentally started a sock yarn blanket. It's clearly going to be a work in progress for several years...

Have fun with it. Years sounds about right. I decided to make a sock wool blanket once with individual small fish. I did about ten when I realised just how many ends there would be to weave in and how many fish to stitch together. I now make small shawls from sock wool if I get too much hanging around.

I've just finished a very soft and snuggly cowl with i-cord around top and bottom edge for stability. Picture
here . Much too big for me but DIL pounced on it. It's Swan Island organic merino and baby alpaca, dyed with natural dyes. It was supposed to be fingering weight but to me it was not much more than laceweight, so I used two skeins together. Blissfully soft.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That cowl looks lovely and very cuddly! I so wish I could knit but I never learnt as a child (my mother had early onset arthritis so didn't knit). I also have arthritis now so will stick to sewing.
These last 2 days I've made a wallhanging to try out a new patchwork technique - a Convergence quilt. Must get round to updating my much neglected blog.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
That cowl looks lovely and very cuddly! I so wish I could knit but I never learnt as a child (my mother had early onset arthritis so didn't knit). I also have arthritis now so will stick to sewing.
These last 2 days I've made a wallhanging to try out a new patchwork technique - a Convergence quilt. Must get round to updating my much neglected blog.

I have arthritis too and knitting is a form of exercise for the fingers. Over time, I have learnt what size needles and thread suit my finger. I can't knit with artificial fibres, my fingers burn and the lack of elasticity in the yarn hurts my hands. I take regular breaks and make things like socks on four needles instead of a long circular as the format forces me to stop and change needles. I do need to be careful how I sit too or will end up with aching shoulder. You will find videos online which start from very basic.

Do none of your friends knit?

Thanks for the comments on the cowl. The wool was beautiful to knit with. Organic and natural dyes made it very soft.

[ 10. October 2012, 09:28: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have finally finished the bedspread I started in March [Smile]

I did take a break from it in August/September as I was bored with sewing crochet squares together but finally tackled it and finished sewing it together at 1.30am (this morning!!!)

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Many happy and cosy nights.

I've only recently retired from active service the granny squares blanket my s-i-l crocheted some 30 and odd years ago.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I have arthritis too and knitting is a form of exercise for the fingers. Over time, I have learnt what size needles and thread suit my finger. I can't knit with artificial fibres, my fingers burn and the lack of elasticity in the yarn hurts my hands. I take regular breaks and make things like socks on four needles instead of a long circular as the format forces me to stop and change needles. I do need to be careful how I sit too or will end up with aching shoulder. You will find videos online which start from very basic.

Do none of your friends knit?

Thanks for the comments on the cowl. The wool was beautiful to knit with. Organic and natural dyes made it very soft.

My neighbour is a keen knitter (and also possibly a shipmate!). Perhaps I should give it a go.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Been busy cutting up pieces today to make a circle dance quilt in pastel shades, based on this http://www.backporchdesign.com/templates/l_circle_dance.jpg

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

40 7 inch drunkard's path patches sewn today, 40 more to do tomorrow...

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Been busy cutting up pieces today to make a circle dance quilt in pastel shades, based on this http://www.backporchdesign.com/templates/l_circle_dance.jpg

Ooh, nice!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heavenly Anarchist! Lovely to see you posting again! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016