homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Now Showing: the film thread. (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Now Showing: the film thread.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The infidel - a muslim taxi driver discovers that he was adopted and that he is, by birth, Jewish.

Funny, yet has some serious things to say about interfaith cooperation and the danger of extremists of any religion.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Odd Life of Timothy Green" was a very good movie, IMHO! My friend and I were transported into the story.

Spoilers!!

The story is about a couple who are brokenhearted to find they can't have children. When a child does come into their lives, they have to deal with the relatives who disparage the child and his parents for not being their 'real' offspring.

The interesting thing is that my friend went through that very scenario with her adopted children. She had tears running down her cheeks.

I recommend this movie highly! Daughter-Unit and her hubby were going to see it tonight. I told her they would really enjoy watching it!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eat Pray Love - a woman travels many miles to find herself - through escaping the protestant work ethic through food, mediation and love.

Based on a book - which I have ordered - much food for spiritual chewing.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If your reviews must be so short, could you not at least go the whole hog and give them as haiku ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tchaikovsky ballet,
Ballerina strife - Oscar
performance - "Black Swan."

This could make a game.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re-watched "The Way" last Friday - the camino de compostela narrative. God it's good.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

the clan

about a highly dysfunctional family of Algerian drug dealers. Beautiful scenery, horrible people.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is not a haiku [Waterworks]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm discovering so many fabulous old movies on You-Tube and wondering why I didn't see them at the movies when they first came out. I'm guessing lots of them just didn't come to a theater near me because they weren't about comic book heroes or rednecks with saws.

Another Country (1984) This was wonderful. English public school 1930. I thought it was going to be another A Separate Peace sort of thing but it was quite different. Young boys dealing with self discovery about homosexuality, communism, upper class guilt, the meaning of integrity, etc.

The main character is based on one of the Cambridge Five cold war spies, so I had to watch a BBC documentary about them immediately afterward -- total 3-4 hours of You Tube fun.

Number one reason to watch; Colin Firth and Rupert Everett when they were about 20.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last week, I managed to watch the Portuguese film Sangue do meu Sangue (Blood of my Blood). I have to say that I'm a bit in two minds about it.

One of the things about the film is that it was really difficult for me to understand the Portuguese. At many moments, the family is talking with eachother but I only understand parts of what they're saying. At first, I thought this was because I'm much more familiar with Brazilian Portuguese, but I spoke with a number of people from Portugal who said the same thing.

Apparantly, this is a feature of the film. You're not supposed to understand everything the family says to get a feel about how they're living. I have to say I rather liked that. I wonder how this comes across in dubbed/subtitled versions.

What I also really liked is the portrayal of Lisbon. Some of its streets looked really more like Africa or a Brazilian favela. I sort-of knew that it was like this in parts of Portugal of course, but seeing it gives quite a strong impression.

I'm less enthousastic about the story line of the film. Many of the themes I've already seen in similar films. But I really liked the way it tried to portray the way families live in popular neighbourhoods of Lisbon.

[ 03. September 2012, 11:42: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The Tree of Life - a slow, meditative look at evolution with beautiful footage of growing things, focussing on a family where a father is distant to his sons, insisting that they call him 'Sir' because one of his brothers died at the age of 19. He thinks that sons need toughening up.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
That is not a haiku [Waterworks]

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
The Tree of Life - a slow, meditative look at evolution with beautiful footage of growing things, focussing on a family where a father is distant to his sons, insisting that they call him 'Sir' because one of his brothers died at the age of 19. He thinks that sons need toughening up.

Autumn celluloid
Memory: drowned in the void
Paltry fonts adrift

[ 07. September 2012, 17:12: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Oooh! I'm looking forward to seeing MiBIII!

I saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel with two companions. We giggled and laughed for quite a bit of the movie! There were some poignant moments that gave balance to the story.

I think the message I got is to make the best of your situation, even if it's not quite what you had hoped it would be.

We liked it too!

[Since you were quoting me, I felt I simply had to fix your code!]

[ 10. September 2012, 23:00: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The Ghost (Ghostwriter in the US) - a thinly veiled reference to Tony Blair, a former UK PM is wanted for war crimes and has his memoirs written. A thriller based on a book with a twist at the end.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yes, but is it any good ?

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moonrise Kingdom is wonderful but I may be tripping on my own memories of summer camp on Long Island in the same time period. Anderson's obsessions with sibling rivalry and missing parents work better with children and animals then with adults. If you see it, be sure to see the end credits all the way through.

Another film I enjoyed was Beasts of the Southern Wild.. a fantasy set in a Lousiana Bayou which gets flooded. The protagonist is a 6 year old girl who copes with her alcoholic father while dreaming of mammoths.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I recognise that you might not be looking for an actual answer... but, yes, it is. Visually stunning and, even though the twist is quite guess-able, that's OK, because it's realistic and adds to the fun. It may not play well in the US, however, as it takes rather a jaundiced view of the 'special relationship'*.

*There is a place for quotation marks, and this IMHO is one of them. They are not 'scare' quotes, 'k?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aardman's The Pirates! An Adventure with Scientists was the one bright spot in the 12 hour haul from Cape Town. It's wonderfully inventive and silly (and confirms what one always suspected about Queen Victoria).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

I recognise that you might not be looking for an actual answer... but, yes, it is. Visually stunning and, even though the twist is quite guess-able, that's OK, because it's realistic and adds to the fun. It may not play well in the US, however, as it takes rather a jaundiced view of the 'special relationship'*.

*There is a place for quotation marks, and this IMHO is one of them. They are not 'scare' quotes, 'k?

Worth seeing then ? I've always felt very betrayed by Blair, so unsure of how much headspace I want to give to related material. But if it stands on its own merits I might give it a go.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
it does stand on its own merits - and, although Robert Harris, who wrote the original book, was once friendly with the Blairs, I think it's fair to say that this speaks of a certain disillusionment. I doubt if the relationship with the Blairs got any warmer after this - or perhaps I should say it probably didn't get any more cordial - it might have got a bit heated.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Nowhere Boy - about John Lennon's teenage years and the losses, by death, that he endured. The start of The Beatles.

It moved me to tears, remembering the best band that ever was and what formed them.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got done seeing "Melancholia" I have a feeling I will be watching it again, soon. Directed by Lars von Trier.

Briefly, it involves a bride (Kirsten Dunst) who discovers, on the evening of her wedding, that a planet is nearing earth, with the possibility of collision. If you don't like slow paced films, you will probably not like this-- it is definitely not "Armageddon." (To me, this is a great example of how a film can be slow-paced, yet dynamic.)

The narrative centers around the efforts of the Bride, her sister (Charlotte Gainsborough) and the sister's science nut husband (Kiefer Sutherland) to cope with the uncertainty of their future, as the planet looms larger and larger in the sky. Just to add to the portentous, panicky vibe, von Trier chose this soundtrack that evokes the music used in old Universal monster movies-- interesting choice, because that kind of meandering,sentimental music could quickly become cloying,but by adding it in small doses it just adds to the sense of heartbreak and fear these people have.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bump

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like to think of myself as a respectable, middle aged lady - but my Young Man brought over a DVD of Puss in Boots, the spin off from Shrek, a few days ago, and after the film we both spent some time bounding about the living room flourishing swords and having a "dance fight".
It was brilliant - magic beans, geese with golden eggs, honour, betrayal, references to Zorro, and the voice of Antonio Banderas!
And the joke about cats pouncing on little lights (amongst many other good jokes) really cracked me up.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

A friend and I saw 'Hotel Transylvania' yesterday. It was a cute kids' movie that had the adults in stitches!

After centuries of fearing humans (who come at poor monsters with pitchforks and fire) Count Dracula and his 118 year-old daughter find a *gasp* human! Of course, there's a romance in the movie, too. wink, wink

Anyway, for a fun and delightful 91 minutes, I recommend it. And, as a bonus, Beethoven, Bach and Mozart are in the movie, too. Even though they're zombies...

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this at a film festival but it's coming out now. Robot and Frank is a film about an old Jewel Thief with Alzheimer's whose children give him a robot carsetaker.

It's fun. The plot is ok but it's made special by Frank Langella in the title role.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robot and Frank was a great movie. I liked the unexpected little twist that totally took me by surprise. I thought Susan Sarandon was fab in her small role and thought Liv Tyler and James Marsden looked like they could be related.
On a totally different note, I saw Rock of Ages a while ago and thought it was great fun, although very cheesy. I have a soft spot for 80's Rock and thought the cast were all good enough singers. I've never seen the stage show so I have no idea how the film was different from it!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone see "Looper"? I'm wondering if it's any good, since Inception was a bit of a disappointment (though fun to watch).

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've a few days in London soon and was hoping to take in a good new movie - any suggestions?

Anna Karenina was mentioned to me but it seems to have had mixed reviews.

I guess I'd like something with limited car ulation, like I could just find in the city, rather than nationwide.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
I've a few days in London soon and was hoping to take in a good new movie - any suggestions?

Anna Karenina was mentioned to me but it seems to have had mixed reviews.

I guess I'd like something with limited car ulation, like I could just find in the city, rather than nationwide.

If it's your kind of movie, the new James Bond film Skyfall just opened in the UK. I've not been to see it yet, but I've heard it's the best Bond film yet and it's sure to be in almost every UK cinema now.

Has anyone on the ship seen Skyfall yet?

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just saw The Sessions. It's an excellent film based on the true story of Mark O'Brien, played by John Hawkes, a Berkeley educated poet, who survived well into adulthood the effects of severe polio. He lived most of the time in an iron lung, was almost totally paralyzed yet sensate, and longed for sex and love. With the good wishes of his friend and RC priest played by William H. Macy (who believed that God would give him a "bye") he got in contact with a sex surrogate played by Helen Hunt and began the adventure. It's a film of beautiful humor and pathos.

And Helen Hunt still has a smokin' body, bless her! [Two face]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:
I've heard it's the best Bond film yet

That's one helluva call!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If it's your kind of movie, the new James Bond film Skyfall just opened in the UK. I've not been to see it yet, but I've heard it's the best Bond film yet and it's sure to be in almost every UK cinema now.

We're going to see it tomorrow - my daughter has seen it and loved it, though she's not a Bond fan; my son, who *is* a Bond fan, has seen it and didn't like it... He has given me his DVD of Casino Royale with strict instructions to watch that before seeing Skyfall. Oo-er...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually my request was not about the latest blockbuster but more about as I am in London soon is there a film on there which is not easy to find outside London which is well worth seeing in shipmates opinion?

[Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
Actually my request was not about the latest blockbuster but more about as I am in London soon is there a film on there which is not easy to find outside London which is well worth seeing in shipmates opinion?

It depends what your tastes are, but I personally could be interested in something at the British Film Institute if I were in the vicinity. They're doing "Dark Ealing" in November, and if you like the old Ealing comedies you may like some of these. I'd recommend "Kind Hearts and Coronets" or "Whisky Galore".

However, I did note that you said "new", which these are not - they're classics. I'm sure there'd also be some good international films on in London, if you don't mind things with subtitles.

[ 29. October 2012, 18:10: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Thanks Ariel. I am a novice at finding this sort of thing out. I don't know how to go about finding a good international or modern minority film currently on show in London.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I think of it, here's a link to Time Out's film section, which may help. Worth a browse, anyhow.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second the recommendation of Kind Hearts and Coronets.

It's just a feast of dark comedy and brilliant British understatements.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
quote:

We're going to see it tomorrow - my daughter has seen it and loved it, though she's not a Bond fan; my son, who *is* a Bond fan, has seen it and didn't like it... He has given me his DVD of Casino Royale with strict instructions to watch that before seeing Skyfall. Oo-er...
I really enjoyed it, beautifully shot and probably the best Bond film I've seen. Much, much, much better than Quantum of Solace - certainly up there with Craig's version of Casino Royale.

I can also see why your son might not like it - not much gadget porn I'm afraid.

--------------------

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I'll second the recommendation of Kind Hearts and Coronets.

It's just a feast of dark comedy and brilliant British understatements.

I'll third that recommendation!

Alec Guinness is fantastic in the movie playing several members of the same crazy aristocratic family.

It's brilliant and I don't want to spoil it too much, but one of my favourite movie lines comes from Kind Hearts and Coronets: "I shot an arrow in the air/ She fell to earth on Berkeley Square" [Smile]

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We saw "Frankenweenie", the new Tim Burton animation, last week. It's not as scary as I thought it would be (note: I am a wuss and am scared by most things) and I laughed a lot at the last 20 minutes or so. It took me a while to warm to the style of the animation, but it is very clever and I enjoyed it.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I really enjoyed it, beautifully shot and probably the best Bond film I've seen. Much, much, much better than Quantum of Solace - certainly up there with Craig's version of Casino Royale.

I can also see why your son might not like it - not much gadget porn I'm afraid.

I enjoyed it too, and it certainly looked beautiful. My son's favourite is Casino Royale, and he didn't like Skyfall as it harked back too much to old Bond. I understand to an extent his objection now (bit like ClassicWho v NuWho I suppose), and did feel that the characterisation was a little lacking. And Sévérine seemed a bit pointless. But Javier Bardem was an interesting villain - though again my son felt he was derivative of the Joker. Oh dear, he really ought to get a job as a film critic, he can talk for England when he gets going...<sigh>

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw Skyfall last night and loved it! I don't like old Bond, but I did love Casino Royale. Skyfall was a big old silly action romp with plot holes you could drive a lorry through, but the characters were good and strong. Craig plays Bond as a bit of a git, which I think the character is. But MAN is he easy on the eye! (Earwig fans herself. [Hot and Hormonal] )

SPOILER-PANTS and maybe triggery for some people

But Bond, honestly?! You work out a woman has been forced into the sex trade at the age of 12 or 13, is being held against her will by a baddie, and then you sneak up on her in a shower for sexy times? Shame on you. [Disappointed]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wondered what Shipmates would make of the exchange;

"I prefer you without your biretta"
"I feel naked without it"

We liked Skyfall - very character driven, although lots of nods to previous films. Did not see that ending coming!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw Cloud Atlas. I very much enjoyed the book but found the movie to be less than satisfying. The pace and structure of the book and its mixing of genres made it an interesting read. The movie is hacked into frenetic scenes that cut back and forth and I believe if you hadn't read the book you'd have no idea what was going on. Hugo Weaving has become a caricature of sneering villain, Tom Hanks accents/prosthetics are laughable and Halle Barry is plain awful. Jim Broadbent was marvelous as was Ben Whishaw. Their parts of the movie I enjoyed (although the story was changed in unsatisfying ways). I left thinking that instead of a movie Cloud Atlas would have made a better HBO series perhaps. Oh we'll.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

- Posted      Profile for Ramarius         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Been trying to find a site that lists all the allusions to previous Bonds. Anyone have a link?

--------------------
'

Posts: 950 | From: Virtually anywhere | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Saw the new thriller Argo at the weekend - based on the true story of how Canada and the CIA managed to rescue 6 US embassy staff from Iran during the 1979-81 hostage crisis by faking a Hollywood movie production.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, though the tone was really strange at times. It had three different strands: Washington (where it played like a tense political thriller), Hollywood (where it mocked the film making business) and Tehran (where it became an incredibly suspensful spy flick). While it wobbled a little bit (and played a bit fast and loose with the actual history), it was a good rollercoaster ride of a film.

Has anyone else seen it?

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
I saw Cloud Atlas. I very much enjoyed the book but found the movie to be less than satisfying. The pace and structure of the book and its mixing of genres made it an interesting read. The movie is hacked into frenetic scenes that cut back and forth and I believe if you hadn't read the book you'd have no idea what was going on. Hugo Weaving has become a caricature of sneering villain, Tom Hanks accents/prosthetics are laughable and Halle Barry is plain awful. Jim Broadbent was marvelous as was Ben Whishaw. Their parts of the movie I enjoyed (although the story was changed in unsatisfying ways). I left thinking that instead of a movie Cloud Atlas would have made a better HBO series perhaps. Oh we'll.

I thought they worked hard to make the book more accessible than the movie was -- draw a lot of lines for the viewer that in the book you had to figure out for yourself. And it seemed they added a lot more chase/action/explosion/gunfight scenes to make it more "Hollywood." But then it's been a long time since I read the book so I could have forgotten a lot of that stuff. I had forgotten a lot, but many things did come back to me as I watched.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw "Lincoln" today. Very good. All-star cast. Really felt like I was back in that time.

Do mind the (US) PG-13 rating--there are some graphic depictions of the Civil War.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My nephew and I had a Judi Dench day when I was in UK - his wife was away so on the Saturday we went to the flicks to see Skyfall and then we went to his place, where I was staying, to watch The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - two cracking performances from a great actress - and my first Bond movie since the '60s!!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016