homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ship-pedia: general questions 2012 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship-pedia: general questions 2012
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why look it up when someone here is bound to know.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Galloping Granny posted:

quote:
Hope this is okay here as it doesn't seem worth starting a whole new thread in Eccles.

Coming from a Presy tradition where at Communion we take a piece of bread from a plate handed round, I went on 1 January to a Union church with a more mixed background, and the minister handed each communicant their piece of bread. Before he commenced the rite, during a music voluntary, he rubbed his hands throughly but not ostentatiously, I assume using a sanitising liquid.

So what does a priest administering the eucharist in the form of wafers do, as far as hygiene is concerned?

Chive responded with one word: Lavabo.

Lavabo, as a rite with water and towels within the context of the Mass, is um ritualistic.

If you saw a minister or priest rubbing his hands together outside of this rite it was almost certainly a hand sanitizer. Most parishes in my diocese have one installed on the wall of the sanctuary (or a hand bottle on the side table) and both lay ministers of communion and clergy use it.

I especially appreciate it when the priest has a sneeze or has the sniffles.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

If you saw a minister or priest rubbing his hands together outside of this rite it was almost certainly a hand sanitizer. Most parishes in my diocese have one installed on the wall of the sanctuary (or a hand bottle on the side table) and both lay ministers of communion and clergy use it.
[/QB]

What we called the Holy Handgel, when we were obliged to use it during the swine flu panic.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep, we do that as well. Embarrassing when the perfumed sort is brought out by mistake.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Coming from a Presy tradition where at Communion we take a piece of bread from a plate handed round...

This gives me the cold shudders. I won't receive the bread if that's going on, because it's way too germy. I would much rather have the celebrant tear me off a piece and place it into my hand, because I know he or she has cleansed his or her hands before beginning. My pew mate, however, has just spent the entire service coughing into her/his hands and rubbing her/his nose with her/his fingers and is now rooting around in the tray trying to grab a piece of wonderbread.

No thank you. Absolutely not.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I bought a pair of pyjamas for my little boy, and the label said, "These clothes are designed to be close fitting to reduce the risk of catching fire." (or words to that effect.) Why?

I can see that having dangly clothing is more of a risk if you're around naked flames or hot plates, but surely you keep a 1-yr-old well away from those things anyway, and they are less likely to get close to them in bed than during the daytime. Is it something to do with airflow?

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would tend to decode that as: we skimped on fabric to make them cheaper to produce. But then I'm cynical.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok

My fluorescent tube light in the kitchen has seriously started flicking. I think it is 4 foot long one (maybe 5 foot) and has been going for around eighteen years without trouble (house was new when I moved in and I have not replaced it).

I need to get it working properly again, what is my best way forward?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Buy a replacement tube to match your existing, most likely. Check length, wattage and end caps match.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That may not work because:

1. The tube may be so old that they don't make them in that fitting anymore (the tube size should be printed on the glass near one end) - I have this problem;

2. It may be the starter that is at fault (this is a small cylindrical object on the fitment, either on its side or underneath the tube when you remove it). It comes out with a little push and a twist - worth replacing anyway as they're cheap.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martha:
I bought a pair of pyjamas for my little boy, and the label said, "These clothes are designed to be close fitting to reduce the risk of catching fire." (or words to that effect.) Why?

I can see that having dangly clothing is more of a risk if you're around naked flames or hot plates, but surely you keep a 1-yr-old well away from those things anyway, and they are less likely to get close to them in bed than during the daytime. Is it something to do with airflow?

When I was a younger and many people had open fires, there was a serious of children hurt when they went too near the open fires in their pyjamas.

I have always thought this labeling of most children's PJ's with some sort of warning against fire came from those days.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Coming from a Presy tradition where at Communion we take a piece of bread from a plate handed round...

This gives me the cold shudders. I won't receive the bread if that's going on, because it's way too germy. I would much rather have the celebrant tear me off a piece and place it into my hand, because I know he or she has cleansed his or her hands before beginning. My pew mate, however, has just spent the entire service coughing into her/his hands and rubbing her/his nose with her/his fingers and is now rooting around in the tray trying to grab a piece of wonderbread.

No thank you. Absolutely not.

That's quite funny as I have always attended Church of Christ or Baptist Churches where we take a piece of bread or cracker each from a plate and even my germophobe Mum has never worried. However we drink the Communion grape juice out of tiny glass cups and my Mum has always had a horror of churches where they shared a communal goblet - even if it was wiped between uses.

I'd be more worried about inhaling germs from a person coughing or sneezing and that's pretty impossible to avoid unless everyone who has a cold or cough stays home from church. Most people try to take bread from the top and only touch the piece they take for themselves. I guess you could get gastro if someone was sick and hadn't washed their hands after going to the toilet but I've never heard of anyone getting food poisoning from bread. (That didn't make your fears better did it [Big Grin] )

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chive:
If you saw a minister or priest rubbing his hands together outside of this rite it was almost certainly a hand sanitizer. Most parishes in my diocese have one installed on the wall of the sanctuary

At a church I was visiting I once saw a minister have a righteous hand-rub with sanitiser, then dried his newly-clean hands on the most bedraggled, festering, breeding-ground-for-bacteria of a cloth I have ever seen.

I felt like going over and beating him over the head with the microbiology degree I keep in my pocket for just such occasions, but refrained.

Fortunately he wasn't serving.

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
When I was a younger and many people had open fires, there was a serious of children hurt when they went too near the open fires in their pyjamas.

I have always thought this labeling of most children's PJ's with some sort of warning against fire came from those days.

In the US the most common scenario for kids' pjs catching on fire was when they accidentally turned on the stove and then climbed up on it to reach the candy stored in the cabinet above the stove.

I made a point of never storing anything in that cabinet that my children might want.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Note on hand sanitizer: it is a far second to soap and water for efficacy.
Sanitizer may kill some of the bacteria, soap and water removes them. Research appears to back this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the near future priests/ministers will be required to wear disposable gloves under food handling regulations.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

In the US the most common scenario for kids' pjs catching on fire was when they accidentally turned on the stove and then climbed up on it to reach the candy stored in the cabinet above the stove.

I made a point of never storing anything in that cabinet that my children might want.

Moo

In the UK people often have a mirror over the fireplace - so children having been bathed and changed into PJs and trying to look at themsleves in the mirror, could set fire to their PJ's. There were several nasty case when I was a child.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
American senior citzens can get annual or lifetime passes at discounted rates to national parks; does anyone know whether Canadian seniors can get an annual or lifetime pass to American national parks?
I found websites with the passes listed, but can't find a link for feriners to use.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's not linked to the individual institution is it? I see my membership of the Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh gives me privileges in a number of similar Gardens worldwide.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the category of Earth-Shattering Questions of Great Import:

what's the name of that little dent thing below your nose and above your upper lip? I just asked my mom and she called it the "snot runnel" which, I expect, is not the official name.

I suppose I could be wrong...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
American senior citzens can get annual or lifetime passes at discounted rates to national parks; does anyone know whether Canadian seniors can get an annual or lifetime pass to American national parks?
I found websites with the passes listed, but can't find a link for feriners to use.

no idea, but I have a handy-dandy park headquarters nearby, and I can call and ask in the morning if you like.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Martha:

I probably shouldn't even admit this, but I once lit myself on fire in my PJs by climbing ON to the woodstove to speed up the warming process. burned through my mother's quilt, my jammies, and burned my ass. not my brightest moment.

--------------------

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet: It's the philtrum , but snot runnel works too. [Smile]
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

aha! thank you!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
That may not work because:

1. The tube may be so old that they don't make them in that fitting anymore (the tube size should be printed on the glass near one end) - I have this problem;

2. It may be the starter that is at fault (this is a small cylindrical object on the fitment, either on its side or underneath the tube when you remove it). It comes out with a little push and a twist - worth replacing anyway as they're cheap.

I replaced the tube and it still does not work. I fear it is the ballast, which could be more expensive. Do US lights have starters also?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We always replace the starter at the same time as the tube, they;re a dollar or so here, much cheaper than the tube. The flicking, particularly when you turn on is the starter. If the ballast goes, the light won't work at all. If that happens, buy a new modern fitting, no starter, electronic ballast, start instantly.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
It's not linked to the individual institution is it? I see my membership of the Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh gives me privileges in a number of similar Gardens worldwide.

Even if there isn't a formal reciprocal agreement I've found that it's worth flashing a membership card for another like-minded institution (for example National Trust, RHS, even a Blue Peter badge) to see what discount/free entry might be available.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question about glue.

The knob on the lid of my electric kettle came off some years ago. I fixed it with super-glue, and that lasted until recently. Now it has come off again.

Does anyone have suggestions about what kind of glue I should use this time? Should I try super-glue again and reconcile myself to doing it again in a few years?

I don't know what the knob is made of--something relatively heat-proof, obviously.

Any ideas?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Super glue is good stuff but depends on the surfaces being clean and meeting without gaps (unless it's one of the 'gap filling' jel-style super glues).

I prefer two-part epoxy resin for most things. Remember to hold the parts together while they set: masking tape often does this nicely.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
I found websites with the passes listed, but can't find a link for furriners to use.

no idea, but I have a handy-dandy park headquarters nearby, and I can call and ask in the morning if you like.
Thanks, comet, I would like that very much.
I am planning a six-week excursion that will take me through five or six American national parks and even a national grasslands, and it would be wonderful to just flash a prepaid card at each entrance and drive right in.
As for Firenze, I hope some day you get to wander through the Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington/Hamilton Ontario; just watch out for the chipmunk-eating coyotes among the rose gardens.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It would appear the answer is no, SF. Hopefully comet's friend can contradict this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm moving flat soon to a place with a glass-ceramics hop. I've had a gas cooker for a few years, and before that the tradional electric cooker.

Can I continue to use my pans on the glass-ceramics surface? Most are fairly recent, and I don't have a wok.

As I don't want to be a hob knob, I'd be grateful for any comments. Thanks muchly.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In addition to the above: What's the general approach to using a glass-ceramics thingy? Cooking times, intensity, handling? Is it more energy-efficient than the traditional electric ones? Any experienced users out there?

Thanks. [Smile]

[ 15. January 2012, 07:52: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can use the same pans. The thing to be aware of is that you can't control the heat as immediately as you can with gas. With gas, turn the dial up or down and the heat level changes pretty much instantly. With electric, there's quite a lag time. So, this'll mean that it takes a little while to heat up when you first turn it on (increasing cooking time a tad). More importantly, if something is boiling over, don't just turn the heat down, but move the pot off the heat as the heat won't cool down instantly.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And,keep the cook top clean, as well as the bottoms of your pots and pans. The ceramic top cleaner does a nice job, but it does take some elbow grease.

I've had mine for about eight years, and love cooking on it!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tried one once at a friend's house and couldn't get on with it. It's personal preference, but I like to be able to see whether the rings are on or not - it's easier to burn yourself accidentally.

Meanwhile - I'm guessing that Freeview digital TV requires "software updates" of some kind? I've found that if I use the TV daily I don't generally have problems getting programmes, but leave it for a few days and reception is awful and needs a "warm-up" time of at least 20 minutes before it stops being pixellated and staccato. Is this normal?

[ 15. January 2012, 20:16: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I tried one once at a friend's house and couldn't get on with it. It's personal preference, but I like to be able to see whether the rings are on or not - it's easier to burn yourself accidentally. [...]

Thanks all! - Encouraging. I may PM you peeps and/or certainly get in touch with the manufacturer: they will have more details on cooking prodecures, beyond the cleaning and the technical details. Will have get used to it in any case, as it comes with the new flat... [Biased]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

You need to make sure that the bottoms of your pans are flat. If they're warped, they won't work so well.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mother had one - she thought it was great, unless you spilled anything on it. If you didn't clean it up straight away it tended to stick like super-glue. She used a razor to clean really stubborn marks. It did seem to be more work that I'd like.

--------------------
Less is more ...

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
... I don't want to be a hob knob ...

[Killing me]

I've been used to ceramic hobs for ages - my parents still have the one they got about 25 years ago and my last house had a built-in one. When we replaced the stove in our present house we got one with a ceramic hob and I love it.

As for cleaning - the cream cleaner seems to work pretty well, especially if used in conjunction with a thing called a Scrunge - I find that their claim not to need chemical cleaners is bollocks, but together they work (and ceramic hobs are much easier to clean than radiant rings - there's nowhere for bits of food to fall).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone with an Android phone tried to put the "digital copy" of a triple-play or Double play DVD onto their phone?

I know that if you use iTunes then the "e-copy" code is essentially a voucher to download the film from the iTunes store for free, but how does it work for Android phones ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel about glass-ceramic hobs:
but I like to be able to see whether the rings are on or not

My mum's has a little set of warning lights that tells you if the hob is still hot, even though it has been turned off.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One thing you have to watch out for with glass tops is spilling sugar on them. Most stuff will come off with the cream cleaner or a blade if it cooks on, but burnt on sugar apparently eats into the surface and just won't come off.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I noticed today that there is no Wiki page for Robert Jay QC, currently of the Leveson enquiry. There is a broken link (red) from the Enquiry's own page, so there was one once.

Is it reasonable to assume that someone, presumably Robert Jay himself, has had it deleted? I didn't know that that was possible - does anybody know what the Wiki rules are on this? I can't work it out from the Wiki deletions guidance page.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No. Red links means that someone thinks there should be a page. I have created one or two on Wiki. I rarely edit there, only when I am correcting errors I know full well to be wrong.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Jengie.

In that case, as I would expect there to be a page for a high profile person like him, does that mean that a mechanism exists to prevent one being opened? Is there some method of telling the Wiki organisation that he doesn't want to feature therein, and they would be obliged to comply, and could I theoretically do that do that also, for myself (not that that is a situation likely to arise!)? Or might it be that because he is a big-shot Brief they would choose not to argue about it?

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is a maths question that may be based on a misconception.

If you have a ship travelling at eight knots in one direction, and another ship next to it travelling in exactly the opposite direction also at eight knots, then the relative velocity of them is sixteen knots, right?

Is there a way of calculating and expressing their relative velocity at a given time if one is travelling at an angle of, say, 15 degrees relative to the other? (Still at eight knots each.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually ignore that question. I've found the answer here.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Towards the end of last year I came across a 50p piece with a 2011 date, with the 2012 Olympic logo and a depiction of two hockey players on the "tails" side. I thought that there might be a series of commemorative coins depicting different sports so I kept it, anticipating a few more. I haven't seen a single one.

Does anyone know if there if a series that I just happen to be missing, or is it a one-off?

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

You mean these?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016