homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ship-pedia: general questions 2012 (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship-pedia: general questions 2012
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. My year-and-a-half old refrigerator suddenly has a lot of condensed moisture inside.

The owner's manual says that this happens in very hot and humid weather; the solution is to reset the thermostat. Unfortunately they don't say whether I should raise or lower it. There are separate thermostats for the fridge and the freezer. I have the fridge set on 40°F and the freezer on 0°F.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Moo

The problem might be your drain line. If it is blocked, or partially blocked, this can lead to condensation.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wipe down the rubber gasket seal around the door too. Some warm water and dish soap will be fine. If that gasket isn't making a good seal, it will let that humid air in.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post 
This question is about a book I read some time ago and would like to read again... but I can't remember the name and Google has failed me so far.

The plot is roughly:

After an apocalyptic event, time starts to go in reverse. Everything that anyone does is in reverse. People are born from the grave and die in the womb. They 'eat' by taking pipes of 'food' through the place from which it normally leaves the body. The reverse is true... the food is 'regurgitated' etc.

That's about all I can remember... can anyone help?

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meerkat,

Sounds like a story from 2000AD when I was a kid, although if I remember correctly there was just one person experiencing time backwards and no apocalypse.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Martin Amis' Time's Arrow fits the premise although not the date.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, bad link. Try this one (and curse the 1-minute edit time coupled with 2-minute flood control [Mad] )

[ETA: [Mad] [Mad] ]

[ 14. August 2012, 12:08: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

Eutychus... that sounds like it, from the 'look inside' link in Amazon... it was a few years ago. If that is the book, I think I'll 'Kindle it'... many thanks. Did you know the book, or is your Googling better than mine??

--------------------
Simples!

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I read a review when it was first published (I'm one of these people who remembers lots of what I read). It didn't make we want to read it in the slightest, but was enough to chime with your post.

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An earlier book with a similar premise is Philip K. Dick's Counter Clock World
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

TurquoiseTastic... having 'looked inside' the book you mention, I found a key word which tells me that your suggestion is indeed the one for which I was looking... thanks (to you and Eutychus).

--------------------
Simples!

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
An earlier book with a similar premise is Philip K. Dick's Counter Clock World

Also the episode Backwards from the 3rd series of Red Dwarf.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A question, I have googled for this and failed and am hoping there is some Thomas Hardy officiando out there.

I remember reading an article which pointed to a seen as I recall in Thomas Hardy when after a days work the labourers put down tools and either sing a hymn or psalm before going home.

Can anyone place such a scene in a Thomas Hardy novel?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No idea about Thomas Hardy, I'm afraid.

Does anyone know roughly how long a ceiling can drip for before it gives up and falls down? I've just had an exciting adventure with a leaky window and an immense rainstorm, and some of the flood has come through the ceiling in a couple of places - one where there was already a crack.

Am I looking at "ceiling will dry out and be fine if I get the window fixed pronto" or "immensely messy plus replastering and bankruptcy"?

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rather depends on what the ceiling is made of and how much water is still in it.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Before you find out, do something about incoming rain (deal with that window, duct tape it if you have to) and see if you can borrow a de-humidifier to stick in the room with the leak. If it turns out to be blessedly minor, you still won't want to have moisture hanging around any longer than it needs to, and creating (horrors!) mold.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched a fascinating programme about dyslexia today and it left me wondering how dyslexia worked for languages with pictorial systems of writing. Do Chinese people have dyslexia in the same way as English readers and writers?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are Chinese dyslexics, but apparently for a different reason.

Here's a somewhat scientifically written report:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2009/10/12/its-all-chinese-to-me-dyslexia-has-big-differences-in-english-and -chinese/

Here's the more fun translation of the same study:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2591/is-it-possible-to-be-dyslexic-in-chinese

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tahts Itnresitng.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fascinating about the Chinese dylexics.

Does anyone know what the theme music for the TV programme Grand Designs is please?

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Does anyone know what the theme music for the TV programme Grand Designs is please?

Well, the details are here

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks alienfrog - I'll have to wait until I can go on-line at the library - I'm on dial-up here.

Interesting that it's been used at weddings, I like it, but wouldn't go that far.

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Thanks alienfrog - I'll have to wait until I can go on-line at the library - I'm on dial-up here.

Interesting that it's been used at weddings, I like it, but wouldn't go that far.

No problem... but I am not an alien frog!!!!! [Biased]

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] What an idiot I am, I have been misreading your name for a long time. I am not dyslexic, but sometimes my brain doesn't work well. One of the men at church suggested I have liquefaction of the brain from the earthquakes and thousands of aftershocks, but I think it's just how I am.

Sorry.

Huia

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't worry, Huia - with the little green avatar and the fact it starts alien fro -- and finishes with a "g" means that my brain (too used to jumong chunks of text in books) also reads alienfromzog as "alien frog" You're not the only one!!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Don't worry, Huia - with the little green avatar and the fact it starts alien fro -- and finishes with a "g" means that my brain (too used to jumong chunks of text in books) also reads alienfromzog as "alien frog" You're not the only one!!

[Eek!] [Eek!]

[Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]

[Waterworks]

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are thinking of getting a comb binder or wire ring binder machine for larger one off A 4 format books at church - such as large print service / music books of our own.

Anyone recommend a good binder?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A comb-binder means you can continue to add to it. I don't think this is the case with wire-binders.
You can also reuse the combs.
Some people think wire-binders look more professional.

--------------------
Less is more ...

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:

Same here. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone advise on a way of getting dried-on splatters of emulsion paint off a varnished wood floor? (Careless painter, not me!)

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is off the top of my head.

I would try scraping them off with a plastic scraper.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you're reasonably careful and the varnish is very smooth you should be able to use a razor-blade type scraper. Keep the blade very flat to the floor and go in tiny pushes.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Emusion paint (latex, US) is not very penetrative but it might have gripped the varnish. Waiting never helps, but be gentle. Slip a scraper between the paint and the floor and determine if it will peel. You may end up with a dull spot in the varnish regardless.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just been to the optician, and had my contact lens prescription increased. I am short-sighted, and need to use reading glasses with my contact lenses for close-up work.

The optician has suggested that I have contact lenses where one eye is the distance prescription, and the other the reading prescription. She says that my brain would very quickly get used to this, and would adapt to using one eye more than the other for distance or reading, which would mean that I didn't need to use the reading glasses.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Has anyone even heard of it? It sounds like a perfect prescription for a permanent headache to me. They are giving me a free trial starting in just over a week (they hadn't got the right lenses in stock) and I would like to be a bit better informed before I go back. I'm sceptical about it working properly, but on the other hand, if it does it would be far more convenient.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My immediate questions are: How do you judge distances? What would it mean for driving or cycling? I know what it's like if I've only got one lens in (but my sight is appalling)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Drifting Star, way back when I got presbyopia at the tender age of forty, my eye doctor recommended the same monovision contact lens fix. It worked very well for about ten years or so until I had to give up my contacts for other reasons.

The brain does indeed make allowances for the two different sights you are seeing. It seemed I switched effortlessly from far to near sight within a week or so.

If you just sit and look, you can definitely see the haziness of the off eye, in my case, looking to the distance, my left eye was unfocused. And the opposite happened when looking at reading distances. But just general 'going about my business' activities weren't affected at all.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was invited to have that. I'm afraid I just laughed, thinking the optician was joking at first. Then I refused, wondering what the long-term effects of this might be - and what about middle distance: computer use and the like? And how do you choose between eyes?

If you drive you'll need to be able to judge depth (in order to park, see distances from kerb, gateposts etc) and if you're shortsighted you may find night driving less easy, especially when it comes to judging depth. With only one eye in focus I personally wouldn't risk it but you may be able to see more and be more confident.

There was also the day when I was coming off a motorway onto a slip road leading to a three-lane roundabout, and one of my contact lenses slipped out of place with nowhere to pull over and fix it. I got home driving with one eye, but it made me think at the time that if I'd started off with one and that slipped I'd be done for.

When reading I wear reading glasses over contact lenses. At night I just take the lenses out and have ordinary glasses. It's whatever you're comfortable with, really.

Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's very reassuring JJ - thanks. Did you feel that you could see as well for distances as you would have been able to with the basic distance prescription?

CK - the optician seemed to feel that this was a good solution for driving, but I can probably avoid driving if I need to for the fortnight when I'm trying them out.

ETA Ariel - I have been using reading glasses with my contacts until now, because I can read with just the lenses but my distance prescription has increased, and I suspect that means my near vision with contacts is going to be worse.

The prescription she has suggested for my left eye (the one that will be for reading) is the same as it is now, and that is good enough for driving on its own, so the issue of finding myself with just one eye to use while driving shouldn't be a problem.

[ 08. September 2012, 17:44: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Drifting Star, if I remember rightly, my distance vision seemed to have been the same or similar to what it had been before I got the monovision. Which isn't saying much, as my corrected vision has never been wonderful. The joys of having a vertical and horizontal astigmatism in my eyes.

[tangent] I remember how amazing it was wearing my contacts the first time and discovering that the trees had leaves on them! [/tangent]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Drifting Star, I have, like JJ, had monovision contacts for several years, and it has worked very well for me. The brain adjusts very quickly to it. I will say that I remove my contacts and switch to my glasses by early evening, but that's more a habit from my many years of hard or gas-permeable lenses. I will also switch into my bifocal glasses if I'm going to have to do several hours of reading. But for all the activities of daily life -- driving, working, housework, using the computer, gardening, whatever -- the monovision lenses have been just fine.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to be in London at the end of October for a few days. I'd like to try to see if I could find a good play to see. Is there a what's on website that goes far ahead with listings?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
I have to be in London at the end of October for a few days. I'd like to try to see if I could find a good play to see. Is there a what's on website that goes far ahead with listings?

This would appear to be what you're looking for.

Google. Friend.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Thanks Mamacita.

I'm glad to be able to go into the two week test with more belief in the plan. I was a bit put off by the way the optician left the room to get me some lenses for distance, and then turned around and said 'I tell you what, I could give you different prescriptions in each eye...' which really sounded as though she had just come up with the idea. I'm very pleased to know that it does have a background!

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
[tangent] I remember how amazing it was wearing my contacts the first time and discovering that the trees had leaves on them! [/tangent]

That is exactly what happened to me when I was 16 and had my first glasses! I honestly didn't know that it was normal to be able to see the leaves.

--------------------

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you don't have much astigmatism, ask your optometrist if you might be suitable for multifocal contacts. They generally have concentric areas with distance and near focus, which allow much better depth perception than monovision. There can be a slight trade off in the visual acuity in some light conditions, due to pupil size variations, but I tend to find my patients are much more satisfied than with monovision if they have a suitable prescription.

An option if you choose monovision is to get specs for driving if you're having depth perception issues to correct your reading eye back to distance. That can be very useful for night driving.

(I am an optometrist, but please seek the advice of your practitioner didah didah).

Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone tried haybox cooking? Any do's or don'ts?

Made your own haybox? Any tips?

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They showed haybox cooking on this week's instalment of The Wartime Farm, which is still on I-player. A very informative programme.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

That was what gave me the idea... just wondering if it would be practical to set something up before I left for work. It might be overcooked by the time I got back.
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To go back to the contact lens question, I have worn just one contact lens for quite a while. I wear a contact lens so I can see distance but am able to read and do close work with my un-contact lensed eye. I have never had any problems at all - my brain adjusted immediately.

I started it because I resented having to wear reading glasses when wearing contacts, when I didn't need them if I wasn't wearing contact lenses.

I checked with the optician, who told me it was a viable strategy (and I'd just thought it was a good idea!).

If I'm driving, though, I wear glasses.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why does the sky inside a rainbow appear lighter than the sky outside it?

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Thanks mertide - I will keep that in mind if I don't get on with the new lenses, which are being fitted tomorrow. I only have a small amount of astigmatism in one eye, but I do have larger than normal pupils, which sounds as though it may be a problem. (Sorry for the delay replying, I've been in a place where there is no internet. [Eek!] )
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
To go back to the contact lens question, I have worn just one contact lens for quite a while. I wear a contact lens so I can see distance but am able to read and do close work with my un-contact lensed eye. I have never had any problems at all - my brain adjusted immediately.

I started it because I resented having to wear reading glasses when wearing contacts, when I didn't need them if I wasn't wearing contact lenses.

I checked with the optician, who told me it was a viable strategy (and I'd just thought it was a good idea!).

If I'm driving, though, I wear glasses.

M.

Thanks M - my optician was the one who thought I shouldn't have to have the inconvenience of reading glasses with contacts and suggested the solution. I'm afraid that my brain will rebel and refuse to co-operate, and just give me terrible headaches, but it does seem to have worked for all those who have tried it!

I only just need the reading glasses when my lenses are in now, and not at all with my uncorrected eyes, but my prescription is going up quite a bit (my last optician behaved so weirdly that I put off being tested for much longer than was sensible) and I assume this will make the reading glasses more necessary with the straight prescription. It will be brilliant if I don't need them at all.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Why does the sky inside a rainbow appear lighter than the sky outside it?

Here is a good explanation! And this tells about the lightness inside the rainbow and some other interesting things about bows!

I saw a magnificent double rainbow on the way home tonight. They are such beautiful things!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016