homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Surviving small Christian denominations (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Surviving small Christian denominations
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome, sandemanian1! We're glad to have you join us here in Heaven for your first post. You can be sure of an especially warm welcome here, if you would like to say hello there.

jedijudy
One of the Welcoming Heaven Hosts

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a Liberal Catholic Church at Gordon - 3 suburbs and about 6 km close to the city than home. They seem to be settled into their own building, and have a full programme of services.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by argona:
That would be Phil Noakes, a distant relative of mine. The last Muggletonian I know of was my mother (died 2001). There was also my grandmother (died 1985). But yes, most people thought the sect was extinct, hence the excitement when the Muggletonian library was found in Phil Noakes' possession on his death. There was eventually a Timewatch about it and though she wasn't mentioned, it was clear they knew about my mother.

I don't know much about their faith. Muggletonians of my family were fiercely anti-clerical, and wouldn't evangelise. They would simply offer people things to read, which they either believed (and were saved) or not (and weren't). They believed that this would determine whether you were of the good seed (Adam's) or the bad seed (Eve's, of course!) When I was eventually given some reading matter, age about 12 I think, each item began with a curse, damning eternally anyone who read further and didn't believe. Immediate panic on my part, until I thought, if I don't believe it, I don't believe that curse either. I read a couple of pages then left the books on the sideboard without comment, and nothing was ever said again.

One day, I'll take a look at that library!

How bizarre - and interesting - that your own mother didn't tell you about her faith. Hard to get my brain around that one.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
The last Muggletonian died in 1979. As they didn't hold with evangelism, that was a possibly foreseeable outcome.

Oh I don't know. The good ol' CofE is still here [Biased]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by poileplume:
We rent out our Anglican church after our service to l’Église Chrétienne Catholique Traditionnelle. They appear to have around twenty members in Canada.

Services conducted each Sunday by the Archbishop and the Bishop. They are most charming and sincere. Seem to be centred on the Tridentine mass in Latin but not hard line like the Society of Pius X. Nice people - do very good business in weddings!

I don't know whether that's the same lot, but the Primate (world-wide) of the Catholic CHurch - Tridentine RIte (I believe that's its name) hangs his zuchetto in an Anglican CHurch in London, Ontario. A friend of mine was until recently the rector there, and he tells me that the group's rites are in Latin, with all the smoke and bells. The said primate is constantly ordaining new bishops to send into mission fields -- apparently the church is expanding wildly in parts of Africa and Latin America.

The said Primate reproached me gravely (but with a twinkle in his eye) for not serving him the chalice at a recent Anglican celebration of the eucharist in the church -- he was there "in choro". I was misled by the outfit, and didn't see him offered the bread, so passed him by. I have since been told that if he is present at an Anglican mass, he does communicate in both kinds.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
John, would that be the Old Roman Catholic Church - Latin Rite? If so, I think they might be in full communion with the Anglican communion..

[ 25. September 2012, 19:16: Message edited by: the long ranger ]

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
The distribution map on the UK Moravian website is interesting. I had thought they had gone to mining communities, and maybe they have to a degree - but it looks like coal mining. There are none in Cornwall, for example. But nor are there any In south Wales.

I do know there used to be a congregation in Crook in County Durham.

Moravian congregations are rather thick on the ground in here in S.E. Minnesota. There are 8 Moravian churches within no more than 10 to 30 minutes from me. It is odd to me to think of them as a small denomination!

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Godric
Apprentice
# 17135

- Posted      Profile for Godric   Author's homepage   Email Godric   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I came across " The Old Catholic Church - Province of The United States" web page and wondered if this is an American version of the smaller denomination under consideration?

Godric [Overused]

I write on funerals and burials at http://godsacre.blogspot.co.uk/

--------------------
I write on funerals and burials http://godsacre.blogspot.co.uk/

Posts: 28 | From: England and Malta | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The quick answer to Godrick at al. is that l’Église Chrétienne Catholique Traditionnelle does not appear to be related to anyone else except some obscure connection in the Congo.

Their web site gives a very convoluted history about a bishop fleeing from communist Hungary to Quebec.

What I have been told is that there are Old Catholics and Old Catholics. One group has intercommunion with the Anglican Church the other does not.

The ‘one that does not’ group apparently is composed of a series of splinter catholic churches. Apparently someone and sometime ordained a lot of priests, bishops etc. and thereby created all these splinter catholic churches.

Sorry to be vague and also please correct me if I am wrong, just passing on what I was told.

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the long ranger:
John, would that be the Old Roman Catholic Church - Latin Rite? If so, I think they might be in full communion with the Anglican communion..

That's them -- and the Primate certainly is in full communion with us.

John

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

I should have added -- this lot are not at all associated with any of the "Old Catholic" groups that are running around Canada. The last time I looked (but it was a long time ago) the Anglican CHurch is in communion with an "Old Catholic CHurch", which I take to be one with ties to Utrecht. There are apparently other groups which use the name. And I have a memory, which may well be wrong, that we are also in communion with a "Polish National Catholic CHurch".

I'm sure Augustine will be along shortly to correct any of my erros.

John

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

In the 1870's there were five Methodist streams in Canada, the Wesleyan Methodists, the Methodist Episcopals, the Primitive Methodists, the Bible Christians and the Free Methodists. The first four merged to form the Methodist Church of Canada in 1885 and merged again to form the United Church of Canada in 1925. The Freems stayed out of both mergers. They had hopes the United Church merger would boost their numbers but it didn't.

That's interesting. Is there any sign that the Canadian 'Freems' are now looking to merge with another institution as a way of boosting their numbers? Since Canada obviously has a long tradition of ecumenicalism, is there any advantage for them in remaining small and independent?
Sorry, left that hanging. In short, no. The Freem's have a solid connection with their direct counterpart, the Freem's in the US. They aren't merging with anybody.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Light User
Apprentice
# 14254

- Posted      Profile for Light User   Email Light User   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
There are, apparently, two surviving members of the Panacea society - thus says their website. I would describe them as charmingly barking, and well worth reading up (and were you aware that the second coming would be in Bedford?)

AG

Strangely enough, three days after you posted that, the death of Ruth Klein, the last surviving member of the Pancea Society, was announced.

--------------------
Vita brevis, ars longa

Posts: 49 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the long ranger:
How bizarre - and interesting - that your own [Muggletonian] mother didn't tell you about her faith. Hard to get my brain around that one.

I've read that for several decades, one of the reasons for church decline is that many Christian parents have become reluctant to talk to their children about their faith, for fear of trying to influence them instead of letting them make up their own minds. It's also a sign of the extreme privatisation of faith. The Muggletonian position is perhaps a very early and formalised version of this tendency....

[ 29. September 2012, 21:03: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post 
quote:
were you aware that the second coming would be in Bedford?

A stream of eschatological parochialism runs throughout Christian history, from the Montanists' choice for the Second Coming of a little town in the backblocks of Turkey, to George Fox's "Woe to the bloody city of Lichfield!", to the theory of some Australians that God sent the 1974 cyclone on Darwin because of its unique wickedness and its sharing of a name with the proto-evolutionist.

I have to admit that I also find difficult the dominical curses on Bethsaida and Capernaum.

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'The Church of the Lord Jesus - Pentecostal Signs Following' is to be found in rather isolated communities in West Virginia, and in eastern Kentucky and Tennessee.

Their distinctive mark is the literal interpretation of Mark 16:17-18. The handling of poisonous snakes and (more rarely) the drinking of poison is a feature of their worship. As such practices are usually illegal in most ocmmunities, these churches are usually small and in rural areas.

The recent death of a 'Signs Following' minister following his being bitten by a rattlesnake during worship was documented in a photo essay the fall issue of 'Northwestern.'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find this a very interesting thread - but then I would - I started it!

I have been reading through the posts and it makes, for me very interesting reading. What is interesting is how some of these small groups of Christians preserve their identity in the face of a rapidly changing world.

As I was thinking about it I remember hearing Orthodoxy has similar groups too - not surprisingly its probably a feature of faiths.

I seem to recall a group called the Milk drinkers, as a small Orthodox group, but can't yet find them throu our friend Google.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
... to George Fox's "Woe to the bloody city of Lichfield!", to the theory of some Australians that God sent the 1974 cyclone on Darwin because of its unique wickedness and its sharing of a name with the proto-evolutionist ...

[Eek!]
... slightly worrying, in that I live in the sub-suburban 'city of lichfield' in the wider city of Darwin [Paranoid]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a fascinating thread. Regarding the Shakers dying out due to celibacy, don't the Jesus Army encourage (I don't think they enforce) celibacy? Yet they are not short of members, and judging by the presence of a young female member of my uni's Christian Union being one, they have plenty of youth presence.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But I wonder how long people stay in the JA for? If it has quite a turnover of members then celibacy and maintaining a roughly level membership need not be in tension with one another.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hadn't realised the Jesus Army still existed, I'd not heard about them recently so in a sense they maybe are a surviving small Christian denomination, even though I'd originally thought of groups that had been around for 50 years or more.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Definitely Jesus Army is still going, doing better than the Methodists in this area. They have taken over the former Methodist Church and turned it into a community centre.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I hadn't realised the Jesus Army still existed, I'd not heard about them recently so in a sense they maybe are a surviving small Christian denomination, even though I'd originally thought of groups that had been around for 50 years or more.

If you had been around a few years ago, you could not have avoided hearing about the Church Army.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

I guess that's. typo for Jesus Army, Moo.

The Christian Community survives, although when it first came in the UK I am not sure.

I have only been to one of their churches in North Yorkshire, it was a curious and accepting place. In
Deed I am not sure whether or not they have another chur h building in the UK.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the Jesus Army were originally Baptist. They may even still be in some way.

Somewhere near Ripley there is alleged to be a separate and minute Quaker Meeting that is committed to true fidelity to George Fox's original Quaker vision. It rejects all Quaker developments since. I suppose one might call them Primitive Quakers.

However, this may be a recent desire to return to the roots, rather than something that has come down unblemished from the C17.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
sent the 1974 cyclone on Darwin because of its unique wickedness

Excuse me ... I resemble that remark [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:

A reasonably notorious shippie was/is an member and an advocate thereof

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

1. I think the Jesus Army were originally Baptist.

2.They may even still be in some way.

1. Yes they were - a village baptist church near northampton. Bugbrooke Baptist Church.

2. No they aren't. They left the BUGB many moons ago and are now no longer a congregational governed church but elder governed.

They have a number of community houses in parts of Northants and own a few businesses including (I think) Towcester Building Supplies.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After the San Francisco earthquake, some people said it was God's judgment on the city for its wickedness. Other people pointed out that churches had been destroyed while bars had not.

There is a funny little poem which unfortunately I cannot locate right now. It asked why, if God had punished San Francisco for being "frisky", He wrecked many churches and "spared O'Brien's whiskey."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

1. I think the Jesus Army were originally Baptist.

2.They may even still be in some way.

1. Yes they were - a village baptist church near northampton. Bugbrooke Baptist Church.

2. No they aren't. They left the BUGB many moons ago and are now no longer a congregational governed church but elder governed. (L*R emphasis)

They have a number of community houses in parts of Northants and own a few businesses including (I think) Towcester Building Supplies.

It's hard to be an Army without a chain of command.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

I see from a web search that the Community of Christ still exists in some places, and its been around for a century or so now.

The Sutton in Ashfield church says it was founded in 1905.

It's website seems a little shy of mentioning its links with Mormonism. But maybe that's a bit unfair. Maybe they have detached themselves and become a small independent church.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

deusluxmea
Apprentice
# 15765

- Posted      Profile for deusluxmea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I see from a web search that the Community of Christ still exists in some places, and its been around for a century or so now.

I seem to recall a Community of Christ church around the Ryde area of Sydney. A friend of mine who was into Christian City church was asked to perform for them and got a mighty shock to learn about their Mormon roots.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The Quakers survive and make a special contribution.

Are Quakers rare in the UK? Here in Philadelphia they are quite important.

The prep school belonging to our small Swedenborgian denomination, the Academy of the New Church, is part of the Friends League, all of whose schools are Quaker except ours.

And of course Pennsylvania is known as the Quaker State, with a brand of motor oil named after it, not to mention the oat company.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
quote:
In John Dalton Street in Manchester Uk there is New Church House.

Are they Swedenborgians? I ask because the New Church, Swedenborgians website makes no mention of a Manchester congregation.

They are not a group I know anything about, but from the website appear inoffensive!

When I last looked into the topic there were at least three branches of the New Church, all of whom follow Emanuel Swedenborg's teachings. They're all small, but I believe the one based in Pennsylvania is growing in number.
I'm pretty sure the New Church House in John Dalton Street is Swedenborgian and is connected with the branch of the New Church based in the U.K. There are at least three other independent branches based in the U.S., of which two are based in the tiny borough of Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania just north of Philadelphia. Of these two, I believe the General Church of the New Jerusalem is by far the largest world-wide and is the branch to which Freddy and I belong, and yes it is growing, especially in Africa and the Far East.
Just to add to this, there has never been a single Swedenborgian church. Swedenborg never had any followers or started any church. He just wrote books. But he was a famous Swedish scientist and member of the Swedish government, so his books became well known.

After his death readers in a number of different countries soon started groups and churches, but most readers remained within whatever denomination they belonged.

The differences between the groups has mainly been that they exist in different countries, but another major difference is the attitude to what he wrote. Some groups see the books as interesting thoughts and ideas, but don't hold to their claim to be a revelation from God. Other groups take every word as divinely revealed.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I see from a web search that the Community of Christ still exists in some places, and its been around for a century or so now...

Is that the group that used to be known as the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? There was one across the street when I was growing up, and later I noticed it had changed its name.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deusluxmea:
quote:

I seem to recall a Community of Christ church around the Ryde area of Sydney. A friend of mine who was into Christian City church was asked to perform for them and got a mighty shock to learn about their Mormon roots.
Yes, you're right. A quick check on Google maps shows a church at Drummoyne, a couple of suburbs closer to the city than Ryde. There are 2 others in the Sydney area, one about 75 km north, and another about 250 km further north than that. There may be others interstate.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
The Quakers survive and make a special contribution.

Are Quakers rare in the UK? Here in Philadelphia they are quite important.

The prep school belonging to our small Swedenborgian denomination, the Academy of the New Church, is part of the Friends League, all of whose schools are Quaker except ours.

And of course Pennsylvania is known as the Quaker State, with a brand of motor oil named after it, not to mention the oat company.

In the UK Quakers have a strong identity, and a significant historical heritage and influence, but they're relatively few in number now. They seem not to be included in ecumenical gatherings. This is probably because they're no longer identified exclusively with Christianity.
(I've read that American Quakers are more 'orthodox' than British ones in terms of Christian belief, but I don't know how true that is.)

Most British people know of the Quakers not because of their theology, but because of their past contribution to British business and banking, and because of their commitment to social welfare issues. My city, Birmingham, saw the creation of Quaker businesses that are now world famous (e.g. Cadbury's, whose main product is chocolate, and Lloyds Bank), and there are Quaker-founded institutes of adult education. Bourneville in Birmingham is a desirable suburb founded by the Quaker Cadbury family, and it has a distinctive atmosphere and look. But it was never created for the 'Quaker community', but for the employees of Cadbury's, most of whom weren't Quakers.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are less than 20,000 Quakers in the UK [Frown]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
In the UK Quakers have a strong identity, and a significant historical heritage and influence, but they're relatively few in number now. They seem not to be included in ecumenical gatherings. This is probably because they're no longer identified exclusively with Christianity.
(I've read that American Quakers are more 'orthodox' than British ones in terms of Christian belief, but I don't know how true that is.)

Most British people know of the Quakers not because of their theology, but because of their past contribution to British business and banking, and because of their commitment to social welfare issues. My city, Birmingham, saw the creation of Quaker businesses that are now world famous (e.g. Cadbury's, whose main product is chocolate, and Lloyds Bank), and there are Quaker-founded institutes of adult education. Bourneville in Birmingham is a desirable suburb founded by the Quaker Cadbury family, and it has a distinctive atmosphere and look. But it was never created for the 'Quaker community', but for the employees of Cadbury's, most of whom weren't Quakers.

Although the Quakers are a fairly small denomination, they still have a broad coverage. There are at least four Meeting Houses in this city.

They also run schools with a high reputation.

I understand though that there's a certain amount of tension between those Quakers that are still specifically Christian, and those that would possibly class themselves as benevolent universalists.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Religious Society of Friends is included in Churches Together in England, after some discussion by other members, having been included in the previous British Council of Churches. I see from Wikipedia that the new body included the Catholics as full members, which they had not been in the BCC.

I do remember that Quakers had some concern about the exclusion of the Unitarian Church, a founder member of the BCC from the new body, and were not sure about the rightness of being members when the Unitarians were cast out. The issue was a credal one.

The national membership is not always evident in local ecumenism (it is where my meeting is), I see from a document Quakers in Local Churches Together.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

They also run schools with a high reputation.

Having been to one, you will excuse me for honking in derision. There was, however, universal rejoicing when the games master shot himself in the eye with the starting pistol.

I have to say that the only spirit that ever visited me in a Quaker meeting was the Oh God of How Much Longer?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I have to say that the only spirit that ever visited me in a Quaker meeting was the Oh God of How Much Longer?

AG

This reminds me of the situation in schools where a child would complain of something, which others found interesting, being boring. The most recent example being of a child claiming that swimming was boring. The others explained that he always said that when he didn't like things.

There are two sorts of being bored in my opinion - one when the activity is lacking stimulus, the other when the person concerned has brought their own boredom to the party. People who are not in Meeting of their own choice may well be in the latter camp. Even some who have chosen may be one some occasions. But that doesn't mean the Spirit isn't there. And when there is a truly gathered Meeting, that presence is irresistable.

[ 11. November 2012, 07:27: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Not everything suits everybody - have you ever tried meditation, if so did you find it useful ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Having been to one, you will excuse me for honking in derision. There was, however, universal rejoicing when the games master shot himself in the eye with the starting pistol.

I wouldn't have thought a Quaker school would have a starting pistol.
quote:

Plenty of people have expressed similar sentiments about school chapel in CofE, RC and all manner of other sorts of schools over the years. It's hardly fair to blame the Quakers alone for boring the spotty generation.

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Does anyone know if that 7th day baptist church in Tottenham is still going. Now there is a survivor from the 17th century, and a lone survivor in England I would think.

It was old dissent and kept Saturday as the Sabbath - which would mark them out well from other churches, except the seventh day Adventists of course.

It's listed still on finda church but v little details and I can't find a website.

Anyone know more about them. It would be fascinating to know how children are brought up in that tradition.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is the Seventh Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower still going?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
People who are not in Meeting of their own choice may well be in the latter camp.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, Penny S. As someone who pretty much only sits still when they are eating, reading or sleeping, I found silent assemblies and meetings intolerable. Whilst I have the greatest of respct for what the Quakers do, wild horses would not get me back in a meeting. I have similar views on meditation - give me a task that I can get lost in and maybe I will find an inner calm and contentment. I certainly need it at the mo.

As, however, I am in danger of making this a me me me thread, I'll just note that Karl's link made me ROFL.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to this paper Seventh Day Baptists seem to be well and truly dead. It is a genuinely a non-conformist history paper and therefore although a history it has none of the neat lineage that we associate with text books. Rather what it covers is a complicated pattern of alliances and disputes going over three centuries.

It also appears that while churches bore the label Seventh Day Baptists, there was no such denomination. Rather they tended to be members of the bigger Baptist Union

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Yes that paper does suggest that.

However our friend Google suggests early notice of their demise may be unfounded BUT more recent reports may be true. This website suggests the church is alive and well.

I even came across photos of people standing outside a large house with a church notice board outside. However nothing recent, suggesting it may now be closed. Anyone know?

I wonder if the church had appeal to people from the Carribean where the 7th day Adventists are strong.

Whatever they are the only Saturday as sabbath group associated with a main stream denomination I have ever heard of.

I have yet to hear of 7th day Anglicans [Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But the link to the church website itself is dead.

I think that as this thread is not so much in its seventh day as its fifth month, we might give it a well-earned rest.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016