homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Surviving small Christian denominations (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Surviving small Christian denominations
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
I hadn't realised the Jesus Army still existed, I'd not heard about them recently so in a sense they maybe are a surviving small Christian denomination, even though I'd originally thought of groups that had been around for 50 years or more.

A reasonably notorious shippie was/is an member and an advocate thereof

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

1. I think the Jesus Army were originally Baptist.

2.They may even still be in some way.

1. Yes they were - a village baptist church near northampton. Bugbrooke Baptist Church.

2. No they aren't. They left the BUGB many moons ago and are now no longer a congregational governed church but elder governed.

They have a number of community houses in parts of Northants and own a few businesses including (I think) Towcester Building Supplies.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After the San Francisco earthquake, some people said it was God's judgment on the city for its wickedness. Other people pointed out that churches had been destroyed while bars had not.

There is a funny little poem which unfortunately I cannot locate right now. It asked why, if God had punished San Francisco for being "frisky", He wrecked many churches and "spared O'Brien's whiskey."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

1. I think the Jesus Army were originally Baptist.

2.They may even still be in some way.

1. Yes they were - a village baptist church near northampton. Bugbrooke Baptist Church.

2. No they aren't. They left the BUGB many moons ago and are now no longer a congregational governed church but elder governed. (L*R emphasis)

They have a number of community houses in parts of Northants and own a few businesses including (I think) Towcester Building Supplies.

It's hard to be an Army without a chain of command.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see from a web search that the Community of Christ still exists in some places, and its been around for a century or so now.

The Sutton in Ashfield church says it was founded in 1905.

It's website seems a little shy of mentioning its links with Mormonism. But maybe that's a bit unfair. Maybe they have detached themselves and become a small independent church.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
deusluxmea
Apprentice
# 15765

- Posted      Profile for deusluxmea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I see from a web search that the Community of Christ still exists in some places, and its been around for a century or so now.

I seem to recall a Community of Christ church around the Ryde area of Sydney. A friend of mine who was into Christian City church was asked to perform for them and got a mighty shock to learn about their Mormon roots.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The Quakers survive and make a special contribution.

Are Quakers rare in the UK? Here in Philadelphia they are quite important.

The prep school belonging to our small Swedenborgian denomination, the Academy of the New Church, is part of the Friends League, all of whose schools are Quaker except ours.

And of course Pennsylvania is known as the Quaker State, with a brand of motor oil named after it, not to mention the oat company.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
quote:
In John Dalton Street in Manchester Uk there is New Church House.

Are they Swedenborgians? I ask because the New Church, Swedenborgians website makes no mention of a Manchester congregation.

They are not a group I know anything about, but from the website appear inoffensive!

When I last looked into the topic there were at least three branches of the New Church, all of whom follow Emanuel Swedenborg's teachings. They're all small, but I believe the one based in Pennsylvania is growing in number.
I'm pretty sure the New Church House in John Dalton Street is Swedenborgian and is connected with the branch of the New Church based in the U.K. There are at least three other independent branches based in the U.S., of which two are based in the tiny borough of Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania just north of Philadelphia. Of these two, I believe the General Church of the New Jerusalem is by far the largest world-wide and is the branch to which Freddy and I belong, and yes it is growing, especially in Africa and the Far East.
Just to add to this, there has never been a single Swedenborgian church. Swedenborg never had any followers or started any church. He just wrote books. But he was a famous Swedish scientist and member of the Swedish government, so his books became well known.

After his death readers in a number of different countries soon started groups and churches, but most readers remained within whatever denomination they belonged.

The differences between the groups has mainly been that they exist in different countries, but another major difference is the attitude to what he wrote. Some groups see the books as interesting thoughts and ideas, but don't hold to their claim to be a revelation from God. Other groups take every word as divinely revealed.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I see from a web search that the Community of Christ still exists in some places, and its been around for a century or so now...

Is that the group that used to be known as the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? There was one across the street when I was growing up, and later I noticed it had changed its name.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deusluxmea:
quote:

I seem to recall a Community of Christ church around the Ryde area of Sydney. A friend of mine who was into Christian City church was asked to perform for them and got a mighty shock to learn about their Mormon roots.
Yes, you're right. A quick check on Google maps shows a church at Drummoyne, a couple of suburbs closer to the city than Ryde. There are 2 others in the Sydney area, one about 75 km north, and another about 250 km further north than that. There may be others interstate.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
The Quakers survive and make a special contribution.

Are Quakers rare in the UK? Here in Philadelphia they are quite important.

The prep school belonging to our small Swedenborgian denomination, the Academy of the New Church, is part of the Friends League, all of whose schools are Quaker except ours.

And of course Pennsylvania is known as the Quaker State, with a brand of motor oil named after it, not to mention the oat company.

In the UK Quakers have a strong identity, and a significant historical heritage and influence, but they're relatively few in number now. They seem not to be included in ecumenical gatherings. This is probably because they're no longer identified exclusively with Christianity.
(I've read that American Quakers are more 'orthodox' than British ones in terms of Christian belief, but I don't know how true that is.)

Most British people know of the Quakers not because of their theology, but because of their past contribution to British business and banking, and because of their commitment to social welfare issues. My city, Birmingham, saw the creation of Quaker businesses that are now world famous (e.g. Cadbury's, whose main product is chocolate, and Lloyds Bank), and there are Quaker-founded institutes of adult education. Bourneville in Birmingham is a desirable suburb founded by the Quaker Cadbury family, and it has a distinctive atmosphere and look. But it was never created for the 'Quaker community', but for the employees of Cadbury's, most of whom weren't Quakers.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are less than 20,000 Quakers in the UK [Frown]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
In the UK Quakers have a strong identity, and a significant historical heritage and influence, but they're relatively few in number now. They seem not to be included in ecumenical gatherings. This is probably because they're no longer identified exclusively with Christianity.
(I've read that American Quakers are more 'orthodox' than British ones in terms of Christian belief, but I don't know how true that is.)

Most British people know of the Quakers not because of their theology, but because of their past contribution to British business and banking, and because of their commitment to social welfare issues. My city, Birmingham, saw the creation of Quaker businesses that are now world famous (e.g. Cadbury's, whose main product is chocolate, and Lloyds Bank), and there are Quaker-founded institutes of adult education. Bourneville in Birmingham is a desirable suburb founded by the Quaker Cadbury family, and it has a distinctive atmosphere and look. But it was never created for the 'Quaker community', but for the employees of Cadbury's, most of whom weren't Quakers.

Although the Quakers are a fairly small denomination, they still have a broad coverage. There are at least four Meeting Houses in this city.

They also run schools with a high reputation.

I understand though that there's a certain amount of tension between those Quakers that are still specifically Christian, and those that would possibly class themselves as benevolent universalists.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Religious Society of Friends is included in Churches Together in England, after some discussion by other members, having been included in the previous British Council of Churches. I see from Wikipedia that the new body included the Catholics as full members, which they had not been in the BCC.

I do remember that Quakers had some concern about the exclusion of the Unitarian Church, a founder member of the BCC from the new body, and were not sure about the rightness of being members when the Unitarians were cast out. The issue was a credal one.

The national membership is not always evident in local ecumenism (it is where my meeting is), I see from a document Quakers in Local Churches Together.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

They also run schools with a high reputation.

Having been to one, you will excuse me for honking in derision. There was, however, universal rejoicing when the games master shot himself in the eye with the starting pistol.

I have to say that the only spirit that ever visited me in a Quaker meeting was the Oh God of How Much Longer?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

I have to say that the only spirit that ever visited me in a Quaker meeting was the Oh God of How Much Longer?

AG

This reminds me of the situation in schools where a child would complain of something, which others found interesting, being boring. The most recent example being of a child claiming that swimming was boring. The others explained that he always said that when he didn't like things.

There are two sorts of being bored in my opinion - one when the activity is lacking stimulus, the other when the person concerned has brought their own boredom to the party. People who are not in Meeting of their own choice may well be in the latter camp. Even some who have chosen may be one some occasions. But that doesn't mean the Spirit isn't there. And when there is a truly gathered Meeting, that presence is irresistable.

[ 11. November 2012, 07:27: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Not everything suits everybody - have you ever tried meditation, if so did you find it useful ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Having been to one, you will excuse me for honking in derision. There was, however, universal rejoicing when the games master shot himself in the eye with the starting pistol.

I wouldn't have thought a Quaker school would have a starting pistol.
quote:

Plenty of people have expressed similar sentiments about school chapel in CofE, RC and all manner of other sorts of schools over the years. It's hardly fair to blame the Quakers alone for boring the spotty generation.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know if that 7th day baptist church in Tottenham is still going. Now there is a survivor from the 17th century, and a lone survivor in England I would think.

It was old dissent and kept Saturday as the Sabbath - which would mark them out well from other churches, except the seventh day Adventists of course.

It's listed still on finda church but v little details and I can't find a website.

Anyone know more about them. It would be fascinating to know how children are brought up in that tradition.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is the Seventh Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower still going?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
People who are not in Meeting of their own choice may well be in the latter camp.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, Penny S. As someone who pretty much only sits still when they are eating, reading or sleeping, I found silent assemblies and meetings intolerable. Whilst I have the greatest of respct for what the Quakers do, wild horses would not get me back in a meeting. I have similar views on meditation - give me a task that I can get lost in and maybe I will find an inner calm and contentment. I certainly need it at the mo.

As, however, I am in danger of making this a me me me thread, I'll just note that Karl's link made me ROFL.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to this paper Seventh Day Baptists seem to be well and truly dead. It is a genuinely a non-conformist history paper and therefore although a history it has none of the neat lineage that we associate with text books. Rather what it covers is a complicated pattern of alliances and disputes going over three centuries.

It also appears that while churches bore the label Seventh Day Baptists, there was no such denomination. Rather they tended to be members of the bigger Baptist Union

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Yes that paper does suggest that.

However our friend Google suggests early notice of their demise may be unfounded BUT more recent reports may be true. This website suggests the church is alive and well.

I even came across photos of people standing outside a large house with a church notice board outside. However nothing recent, suggesting it may now be closed. Anyone know?

I wonder if the church had appeal to people from the Carribean where the 7th day Adventists are strong.

Whatever they are the only Saturday as sabbath group associated with a main stream denomination I have ever heard of.

I have yet to hear of 7th day Anglicans [Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But the link to the church website itself is dead.

I think that as this thread is not so much in its seventh day as its fifth month, we might give it a well-earned rest.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016