homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pride and Prejudice and You Tube (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pride and Prejudice and You Tube
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many of us have seen the The Lizzie Bennet Diaries? It seems to me that we could share thoughts and opinions about this series, much like the Dr. Who thread does.

So, do you think that Lizzie translates well to this era? Does it matter that there are two missing sisters? What about Jane and Charlotte? When will Darcy make his appearance?

I want to sincerely thank Smudgie for dragging me into this. It's her fault! [Biased]

I've just watched episode 46. Two episodes a week is a killer! Couldn't Lizzie squeeze in just one more episode a week?

And, if anyone gets sucked in like I did, and you want to get even with me, I don't live in Florida.

So, this is a discussion thread, please no other You Tubes, or my fellow hosts may become peeved at me!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter loves these and watches them the day they come out. I'm only on about episode 12, but I think it works well.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh thank you - these are addictive!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome, daisydaisy! I debated whether I should spread the addiction here, and my evil side won as you can see. [Two face]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My kids got into these but I had to explain to them about Pride and Prejudice. I haven't watched them all in order yet but I've enjoyed the ones I've seen watching over the kids' shoulders -- sometime I mean to sit down and watch them all. I think the story translates pretty well as a 21st-century video blog. I loved the opening with Lizzie's mother giving her the "It is a truth universally acknowledged ..." quote on a T-shirt. Great way to kick off.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like! [Snigger]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just seen the first one and enjoyed it very much, though she seems to fall into the classic error of thinking that to be "in want of a wife" means the same thing as wanting a wife. There was a very enjoyable discussion in a parliamentary sub-committee a coupla years back when someone (a Tory spokesperson, I think), giving evidence, described a colleague as wanting advice. When it later emerged that the colleague in question was being actively unwelcoming to any attempt to proffer advice, the Tory spokesperson was accused of misleading the committee. Not at all, he said, they had merely misunderstood him: the man was in want of advice, even though he himself might not actually want any.

Well, I thought it was funny. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many tops does Lizzie have?
I'm loving this. I think my favourite moment so far is in 1 or 2 where she makes reference to the Bridget Jones movie. Although come to think of it, I have many favourite moments.

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't need another addiction!

YouTube you say? Search term Lizzie?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Belle Ringer, you can get to all the episodes through the link at the top of the page!

I love it when Lizzy portrays her mother! [Big Grin] One wonders whether Mom is really supposed to be a southern belle, or if Lizzie is indicating that her mother is daft enough to show characteristics of certain regional stereotypes? I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Does it matter that there are two missing sisters?

But they are not missing!

Mary has turned into "cousin Mary" - the character still exists, just the relationship has changed.

And Kitty is a kitty - literally.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I did think at the time that Mary had been transposed to cousin-hood. But how could I have forgotten about the kitty? [Eek!]

I guess what I really meant was that there were not five girls living in the Bennet household. Actually, that was quite clever...and more than my little brain could comprehend, apparently!

I learn a lot from my Shipmates! [Biased]

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How many of us have seen the The Lizzie Bennet Diaries?...
And, if anyone gets sucked in like I did, and you want to get even with me, I don't live in Florida.

Last night as I was turning off the computer to go to bed, I thought I'd just take a peak at what y'all are chatting about. 22 episodes later I torn myself away but was too stimulated from all the laughter to sleep, so today I'm barely dragging, and jedijudy it's all your fault and I do (almost) know where you live! [Smile]

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
quote:
Does it matter that there are two missing sisters?

But they are not missing!

Mary has turned into "cousin Mary" - the character still exists, just the relationship has changed.

And Kitty is a kitty - literally.

Ah well spotted - I was just about to retread P&P to remind myself of where cousin Mary fitted in [Hot and Hormonal]
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Ah well spotted - I was just about to retread P&P to remind myself of where cousin Mary fitted in [Hot and Hormonal]

I wasn't planning to go that far; as a teen I loved the book, but when I reread it a decade or two ago I thought their lives terribly empty.

Still this vlog version is delightful, partly because the girls ARE interested in a whole lot more of life than just who they will marry, even if (eye-roll) Mother is obsessed with their getting married. Mom's can be somewhat like that when daughters reach their 20s.

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
...and jedijudy it's all your fault and I do (almost) know where you live! [Smile]

[Snigger] Well, actually it's Smudgie's fault! Where is she, BTW? [Confused]

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

http://www.lizziebennet.com/story/

Tweets between various characters, including early on:

@that_caroline @wmdarcy going furniture shopping shortly
Bing Lee
5 months ago

@bingliest PLEASE don't buy anything without sending me pictures first
Caroline Lee
5 months ago

@bingliest listen to your sister. you have horrible taste in decorating
William Darcy
5 months ago

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

Lizzie answers questions from viewers

http://www.lizziebennet.com/lizzies-first-qa-video/

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I did think at the time that Mary had been transposed to cousin-hood. But how could I have forgotten about the kitty? [Eek!]

I guess what I really meant was that there were not five girls living in the Bennet household. Actually, that was quite clever...and more than my little brain could comprehend, apparently!

I learn a lot from my Shipmates! [Biased]

I live in a household that is fairly besotted with Jane Austen. So the vlog was an instant hit. I have watched them all - including Lydia's vlogs and the Q&As.

My only complaint, as for other people here, is the episodes don't come fast enough.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw the first episode.

I suppose it might be classed as chickVlog, but I like it and am going to watch more episodes.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I'm finding myself keenly watching FB to get told when the next posting is up on YT - yesterday's was the beginning of one of the twists in the plot - I loved the acting out of events by Lizzie & Jane.
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh, you have a lot to answer for, I'm now also addicted! Loving the format, and the way they are adding a twist to bring it up to date.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why didn't I just avoid this thread? Or resist the temptation to just take a look?

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! Thanks guys! Mr Bee had the footie on so I'm up to episode 14.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, confession time - I have never read Pride and Prejudice.

Yesterday, I watched the first four chapters of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. Today, I started reading Pride and Prejudice. And I'm loving every beautifully crafted sentence of it!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I am so evil! Yes I am!

I haven't seen yesterday's adventure, yet. It will be my after-Ship dessert tonight!

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

For those starved of P&P vlogging episodes...

Charlotte (and little sister Maria) Lu have their own vlog now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgM0Y-S2UA0.

Maria is doing an internship working with Charlotte at Mister Collins's web business venture.

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Ok, confession time - I have never read Pride and Prejudice.

Yesterday, I watched the first four chapters of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. Today, I started reading Pride and Prejudice. And I'm loving every beautifully crafted sentence of it!

There is nothing so heartening to read on a religious website as news of a recent conversion.
[Smile]

--------------------

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One episode and I think I'm hooked. [Big Grin]
Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I have now seen all 44 existing episodes, the Q&As and all of Lydia's vlog. So how long do I have to wait for the next one? [Paranoid]

[ 11. September 2012, 14:07: Message edited by: busyknitter ]

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Ah but have you started on Charlotte's vlog yet?
jedijudy

# 333

Thursday. Thursday is like forever away. Advent was like this when I was a kid, even if I didn't know it was Advent. (We did Christmas in the church where I grew up, no Advent, no Lent.)

So, is Lydia a little brat, or what? At least here we kind of have more of a clue as to how 'that' happened!! [Smile]

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
So, is Lydia a little brat, or what? At least here we kind of have more of a clue as to how 'that' happened!! [Smile]

Lydia (the Ly-dee-YAH!) is the little sister you'd love to strangle. All that over-the-top peppiness and posing for the camera. Doesn't take her long to get Wickham's shirt off.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually kind of love Lydia. Bratty, annoying, amoral, and yet there's a kind of sweetness to her too -- I just love the way this actress portrays her. I think she really does bring the adorbs. I loved how shamelessly she got Wickham to take his shirt off. And, of course, I loved it when Wickham's shirt was off.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

Yep I'm with Trudy on both the Lydia and shirtless Wickham questions [Biased]
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Me too - she is well portrayed as a lovable scamp, enjoying every moment of whatever comes her way.
jedijudy

# 333

So, I just did some catching up on the last six videos. RL is so hard on my entertainment options!

Anyway, episode 48...I think that was the one...when Jane shows her true feelings about Bing leaving, was really well done. I had tears streaming out of my eyes.

I think Jane Austen would have enjoyed these! Bring on Darcy!!

--------------------

Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh, these are clever. Only up to episode six but loving it: thank you for the pleasing distraction from the useful stuff I should be doing.
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I notice Lydia has started making videos again. Yay!

I'm wondering how they're going to handle the fact that they've made Lydia a rather sympathetic, though shallow, character here. It's been awhile since I've read the original but I do recall the Lydia ends up with Wickham. In this version, Lizzie seems to feel things are still a bit up in the air between herself and Wickham and might still have some feelings for him, and Lydia as they're developing her here doesn't seem the type to steal a guy her sister still likes, right out from under her nose -- her affection for and loyalty to her sisters seems genuine; she's certainly fonder of Lizzie than Lizzie is of her.

Any thoughts? (Particular from anyone who remembers the original book better).

--------------------
Books and things.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the original book Lizzie is away traveling with her aunt and uncle at the time Lydia elopes. Lizzie hasn't seen Wickham in a while, and she's heard very bad stuff about him from Darcy. She's inclined to believe Darcy, but she isn't sure

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I'm wondering if Lizzie's current visit to Charlotte at Collins & Collins will parallel that visit in the book? If so, should we expect a Lydia/Wickham hookup soon?

--------------------
Books and things.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the book Lizzie visits the Collins and then goes home. Her aunt and uncle pick her up after Lydia has gone to Brighton.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Did anyone catch today's big (semi) reveal?

--------------------
Books and things.

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

Indeed I did. I'm really quite curious as to how they are going to turn around Lizzie's attitude towards Darcy, as her current hatred of him seems so much more visceral than in the original.
jedijudy

# 333

Oh, gosh. I have two weeks-I think-of catching up to do! My days seem to be devoid of actual free time. Must remedy that!

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Oh. My. Gosh!!!! What a smug, condescending Darcy!!! It took ...what?... thirty weeks to see him?

Bravo Lizzie and Darcy!! Loved the snarling! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I loved the appearance of Darcy. I hope the actor has the skills to show a side of himself that will make us want Lizzie to get together with him, but I trust that he will because all the actors in this series have been really good and versatile so far.

--------------------
Books and things.

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

Yup, that was a very good episode. Roll on Monday [Big Grin]
jedijudy

# 333

Don't you just love Fitz? He's cute and funny and loyal! (Whoa, girl; and way too young!) [Disappointed]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Saturday morning is rapidly disappearing. I'm right behind with P&P seeing as I wasn't able to watch it properly when my brother was staying with us, so have been forced against my will to bring my breakfast back to bed and slob in my fluffy dressing gown all morning until I have made it as far as episode 37. Do you think they would accept it at work if I phoned in and said I'd be a bit late?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016