homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Church worship dress code (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Church worship dress code
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Somewhat light hearted,

.... And by mistake I posted this thread in Ecclesiantics, thinking how we dressed for worship was probably a worship practice.

So transferring the thread to here [Smile]

Is there a written, or Unwritten, dress code for worshippers at your church? I suspect there is even though we may think there isn't. I also suspect that dress code for worship has changed with society's change on the subject.

I raise this because during a web search for something totally different I came across
This sermon on EWTN the global Catholic network with very clear views on dress code.

Our church doesn't have a dress code but I guess things would be said on too scanty clothing, and I'm not sure about men who kept hats on... [Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All parishioners are expected to wear clean clothes and men shall not wear hats. Even if you are dressed in replica football gear (wihout spikes!) clergy and other parishioners are just happy to see you: that is why we have so many masses on weekends at the cathedral parish here, including two in Spanish.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
( We don't have idiot rent-a-cops at my church, but we do have a 300-pound sacristan who can deal with troublemakers if need be. )

The rector does require that male lectors and EMs wear long trousers and female lectors and EMs wear skirts below the knee or trousers. The choir has no dress code for women who often wear miniskirts if they're young.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My church expects you to show up with clothes on. Though if you DIDN'T, I suspect someone would loan you some. [Big Grin]

I've seen some pretty weird ensembles and nobody batting an eye, which frankly surprises me. Last Sunday I sat in the same pew with my old sea-captain-looking-guy (of quotesfile fame), which gave me the opportunity to realize that he does not in fact stop with the crossdressing below the waist. That was some mighty fine lipstick he had on!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any given Sunday there will be people in suit and tie, dresses, sweat pants, in summer: shorts, T-shirts and thongs*. The main requirement for communion is that there may not be gum in your mouth - yes, this has come up.

*The young people claim thongs are to be called flip-flops and that the word thong means very skimpy flimsies, but I don't agree.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Your young people are correct. At least in this country that's what springs to mind when someone mentions a thong.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only dress code we have for the congregation is that no one should wear skirts that are very short and very tight.(Gender unspecific on purpose. We have had incidents.)

For servers, white longsleeve dress shirt, black pants, socks, and shoes. No jewelry is allowed.
For lectors, only that they should wear something sensible that will allow them to bow to the altar without risking, um, embarrassment. (Yes, we have had incidents in this regard as well.)

But most people tend to dress up a bit- skirts and blouses, dress shirts, slacks and ties, suits and sportcoats occasionally. Some of that is likely tied to class here. We're located in an odd place that lies between wealthy suburbs a couple blocks north and the destitute ghetto a couple blocks south.

Growing up in the poor part of the neighborhood, showing up to church as a male in anything less than a shirt, tie, slacks and shoes was considered beyond disrespectful. I don't think I encountered people dressed casually for church until I attended the first RC mass I ever attended. It was just something we never did. And of course, we also have our own history with church hats as well, something people have written books about.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Years ago when I went to Friends' Meeting, the dress code seemed to be flannel check shirts and shoes like Cornish pasties. And the men the same.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The dress code (though unofficial) is smart casual, although I've fallen out of bed & put on some trackies & gone without getting any hard looks.

On the whole (generalisation alert) I would agree that the poorer the background of the person (in wealth terms) the smarter the church clothes - and of course here in South Africa there is a strong correlation of race & wealth.

Some of the children seem to have 'Sunday best', especially the younger girls (or perhaps they dress like that everyday?!).

The early, more traditional service gets an older section of the congregation who are smarter than the younger lot at the mid-morning service.

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post 
When I occasionally make it to a sunday service the dress code appears to be tweeds and tattershall check shirts, with a tie or cravat for the men. The women are generally smartly dressed, fully sleeved and skirts below the knee, 50/50 for hats. Oddly enough the only person I have seen in a miniskirt and low cut top was a man but fortuantely nobody made a fuss and his dress was far more modest the next week.

Tourists are a different matter though, I recently had to ask a young lady to cover up when she wandered into the church wearing a revealingly low cut t-shirt bearing the slogan "I sold my soul to satan and all I got was this lousy T-shirt". She understood that it would cause offence but was adamant that she had the right to wear what she wanted in church. In the end she threw a plain purple hoodie over the top and all was well.

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of our youth who was scheduled to be doing a reading was intercepted before the service and asked to put a top on over her FCUK t-shirt. That's the only sartorial enforcement I've been aware of in over 10 years at that particular church.

I heard from a friend who was there that the person in charge of the kids' stream at New Wine once had to have it explained gently that his "bring your daughter to the slaughter" t-shirt was inappropriate.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The church I go to has everyone coming (not the vicar, curates, musicians, etc) dressed in whatever they feel comfortable in and not "formally" in any way. We are never told what to wear. And a man could be dressed in female clothes and a woman in male clothes. Some children sometimes are dressed in angel clothes.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
People used to wear smart clothes to my church - the men with ties and some of the women with hats. I remember when the last hat wearer (a woman in her 40s) joined the choir, so wore a uniform and dropped the hat. Since then, the trend has been towards more casual clothing for anyone not in the chancel or sanctuary, although older worshippers often still tend to wear jacket and tie and women wearing smarter skirts than they perhaps would on weekdays.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dress smart during the week for work and casually at the weekend, including for church. Long shorts (not dress) would be fine, and t-shirt. I wouldn't wear just a singlet alone, though I might wear one to and from church and throw a light shirt over for the service.

I can see myself dressing up for church when I'm older and am not dressing smart during the week!

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Newcomers and visitors to my church tend to dress more smartly than regulars, possibly because it's an Abbey and people think this is what is required of such a place. Older (over 70ish) regulars tend to dress smarter than they would during the week, but most other people wear whatever they feel comfortable in or what will suit their previous/next activity (mucking out stables, fishing, gardening, sailing). I don't recall any cross-dressing occurrences, but I can't see it being a problem. Less than 1% will wear a hat, although that sometimes changes when it gets colder. One of our communion servers (no uniform) occasionally wears a lovely sparkly blouse which picks up the spotlights very well. I wish I could have been at a recent big gipsy wedding (along the lines of the C4 series) because, from what I've heard, regular church dress codes were certainly stretched although everyone was dressed magnificently.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No dress code as such at our place: some wear shorts in summer, which is something i can never bruing myself to do. (In my fogey youth I never felt able to wear plus fours to the college chapel, either, and not because, as you might think, all right minded people would have laughed me to scorn. )
Slight tangent: when we moved to Cardiff from south London some 10 years ago, there was a womens clothes shop in a fairly upmarket (and rather white) suburban shopping street that advertised 'Caribbean wedding wear'. It took me some time to work out that, to my disappointment, this meant what you wear to go and get married on the beach in Barbados rather than the kind of vibrant colours, leg of mutton sleeves and big hats that I'd seen West Indian ladies wearing to weddings etc where we'd come from.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
Is there a written, or Unwritten, dress code for worshippers at your church?

Pyjamas and sometimes a drip-stand.

I'm a hospital chaplain. [Biased]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought the sermon was a bit pompous.

I tend to dress casually because I feel 'at home in the Lord's house'

Most people over 50 dress casually at our place but the teenagers and 20 somethings tend to wear suits.

An odd generation divide.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't say I've been taking notes, but my feeling about our congregation is that there are ethnic differences overlaid on the class ones. White people and Asians tend (with many exceptions) to dress down - jeans and trainers and T shirts quite common; older West Indians tend to dress up, younger ones dress down; and Africans (the majority of the congregation) are very varied. Nigerians will wear shiny colourful robes on special occasions, which can get quite spectacular.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Years ago when I went to Friends' Meeting, the dress code seemed to be flannel check shirts and shoes like Cornish pasties. And the men the same.

Veerrry long flannel check shirts, I presume -- knee length, perhaps?

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile, back at the sermon, I found it interesting that the preacher seemed only to be concerned about women's wear -- no comments that I could see about men arriving immodestly dressed -- in very tight cycling shorts, for example, or without a top on.

Or perhaps he thought that male immodesty is an oxymoron.

JOhn

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Any given Sunday there will be people in suit and tie, dresses, sweat pants, in summer: shorts, T-shirts and thongs*. The main requirement for communion is that there may not be gum in your mouth - yes, this has come up.

*The young people claim thongs are to be called flip-flops and that the word thong means very skimpy flimsies, but I don't agree.

Spike and I do!

Appropriate wear for an evening service perhaps? Just a thong at twilight, or Eventhong.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just finished a stint of sunday cover for a vacant parish. Congregation very predominantly over-60 and lower-middle-class white. Women (the majority) tended to wear pleated skirts and frilly blouses, with fully-permed white hair. The men, dark suits and ties with neatly brushed white hair. They were a very friendly lot so I doubt if they would look down on anyone dressed casually, but I don't remember seeing anyone in jeans. The few children dressed as children normally do these days.

The church I usually attend is in a socially very mixed area; the congregation is predominantly white middle class with a few ethnic minorities and working class people. One or two enjoy dressing up (mostly the men) but generally the dress code is casual to scruffy.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Deep Fried Catholic
Apprentice
# 17328

- Posted      Profile for Deep Fried Catholic   Email Deep Fried Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I raise this because during a web search for something totally different I came across
This sermon on EWTN the global Catholic network with very clear views on dress code.

Salient points:

1) This homily was delivered in late May. In Alabama. If you're unfamiliar with the area, let me tell you, it's HOT there at that time of year.

2) He quotes a papal guideline from 1928 for appropriate fashion advice.

3) He focuses his entire attention on women's attire, and how it becomes an occasion of sin for men.

4) It's an EWTN link - EWTN being the folks who operate a media network so mind-numbingly Catholic, not even the Pope can watch for very long without thumbing the remote and saying, "I wonder what else is on."

Here are my particular objections to this particular homily. First, there are indeed inappropriate forms of dress for Church (swimsuits surely fall into that category). But if he is going to decry any form of comfort wear in a warm climate, including sleeveless dresses, either he needs to crank up the air conditioner pretty high or he's going to find himself one lonely priest when summer kicks in full blast.

Second, modesty is not about how many square inches of skin is being revealed. Modesty is all about one's demeanor. I have seen women at our parish (also in the South) who would not fit his dress code, but are quite modest individuals. Yes, fashion can be an outward indicator of a person's modesty, but in most occasions like this it is an indicator of a person's need to be flippin' comfortable in the heat. I tend to think that if the way another person dresses is an occasion of sin for you, it says a LOT more about you than it does about the other person.

(I think I just ranted there. Sorry, but people who get hung up on outward appearances tend to push my buttons.)

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do not think for a minute that God takes account of what one wears to Church.

But, if worship is "special" then it seeems to me that we should make it something of an "occasion" and therefore dress accordingly.

I cannot imagine Jesus wearing a T shirt and trainers when he went to the synagogue "as was his custom" on the sabbath day.

And I wonder how many shipmates would not dress up were they invited to an audience with the Queen at Buck Palace.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
And I wonder how many shipmates would not dress up were they invited to an audience with the Queen at Buck Palace.

George W. Bush's daughter, Barbara, supposedly showed up for lunch there in jeans, but AFAIK she's not a Shipmate.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Little Weed, my God son, made a habit of coming to Church dressed as a Super Hero. He had a variety of outfits, most supplied by me. I feel a little sad that he has grown out of the habit. But he has a small brother....

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Is there a written, or Unwritten, dress code for worshippers at your church?

Pyjamas and sometimes a drip-stand.

I'm a hospital chaplain. [Biased]

Despite being very thankful not to need a hospital Chaplin, I would like to attend church in my pjs. Especially the 8am service because it'd be easier to go back to bed afterwards!

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wear jeans and a T shirt, but I make sure they are my best jeans.

[Smile]

[ 13. September 2012, 20:11: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This has come into my mind as I've been seeing what some people wear in our church - the Africans often wear their beautiful African clothes, and the Chinese ones and others wear theirs, and so do the Indian ones - I wear my Indian clothes too at times. But it's not mainly "formal" clothes. And hats when it's cold are often, as are extra warm clothes. And shoes are the walking/exercise ones.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On Sunday morning you will see everything from shorts and T shirts, to suits and dresses. Most are some place in between.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It may be just me, but I'm imagining that when Fr Dominic wrote his homily he was getting just a little - over-excited, shall we say? - as he framed his fulsome descriptions of women's thighs, arms, knees and other body parts.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only incident I can recall was of servers and choir members being asked to wear appropriate shoes when robed. This was because we had a couple of youngsters who kept turning up with thongs on their feet - not a good image during the processional. At another church near mine I was horrified to hear of a minister who would take the service in old and dirty gardening clothes and refused to robe at all. His congregation eventually took him to task as they felt he needed to dress properly when he came to work.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have never bothered about any presumed "dress codes" at any church I have ever been to, and never will. And anyone trying to badger me into such a thing would get an earful.

I haven't generally worn my leather to most services, though, as I don't want to frighten the natives. But as far as "formal" "informal" and the like go, I'm quite happy with shorts and a t-shirt most of the time. [Smile]

As for thongs, yes, I'd be quite pleased to attend Eventhong. [Smile]

(And I would think sandals/flip-flips would look more appropriate with robes rather than less.)

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
QuietMBR
Shipmate
# 8845

- Posted      Profile for QuietMBR   Email QuietMBR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wear clothing. People appreciate that.

--------------------
"My Jesus would never be accepted in my church...the blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpets." Todd Agnew

Posts: 298 | From: Middle Atlantic, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I might put on a nice shirt. But I'd wear my jeans and tenis. Then again, she ain't my queen.

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Meanwhile, back at the sermon, I found it interesting that the preacher seemed only to be concerned about women's wear -- no comments that I could see about men arriving immodestly dressed -- in very tight cycling shorts, for example, or without a top on.

Or perhaps he thought that male immodesty is an oxymoron.

JOhn

I've spent a lot of time studying this, and I'd say about 98% of the sermons, tracts, and Bible teachings I've gathered on the concept of Modesty in Dress focus on women's clothing. The 2% that applies to men is usually "Don't wear ratty clothes with corporate logos."

Anyway, at my shack, to quote a country and western song, "Come as you are, there ain't no dress code".

[ 14. September 2012, 04:06: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I would not! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

Different meaning on either side of the Tasman, but to wear no more than that, while climactically and geologically more appropriate on this side of our ditch, might raise eyebrows, inter alia, either side.

I have no idea on the other hand what flimsies are - except by context. And context is everything.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post 
A friend of mine is a tour guide in a medieval church and runs tours up the tower on certain days. We were talking about this thread last night and she told me of a conversation she heard when she opened the door to the rather steep spiral staircase. Two girls in their early 20s were arguing about who should go first as neither was wearing underwear and their skirts were a little on the short side. In the end it was decided that it was OK for one of them to go behind the other because at least she had waxed.
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back in the 60's when ladies wore hats, gloves and coats to church my Mum went one cold wet Sunday night with her overcoat over the the not so Sunday best clothes she had been wearing during the day as she could be bothered changing and 'no-one will know'. On arrival she was asked to play the piano as the usual pianist wasn't coming. I can still see her discomfort at the piano at not taking off her coat. These days the clothes she had on would be been more than acceptable.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am not entirely sure why it's not thought appropriate for lay men to wear hats in worship. It does seem to be an unwritten code that lay men shall not wear hats.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Percy

It is back to St Paul and his statement that women should have their heads covered. He implies pretty strongly in the same that men should not!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's really just a social convention. This became a huge bugaboo in my cong. a few years back. Pre-JFK, American men famously wore hats-- which means the "builder generation" knows "the rules" about hats. But the boomers grew up w/o hats, thus no reason to learn the rules. A few years back when hats suddenly became the fad among teens, they started wearing them to church. Their boomer parents had no knowledge of The Rules, no reason to know they shouldn't wear them there. The older members of the church were shocked and appalled-- and quite judgmental re: both teens and parents.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Percy

It is back to St Paul and his statement that women should have their heads covered. He implies pretty strongly in the same that men should not!

Jengie

Thanks Jengie.

But he was a Jew and Jewish men, at least today, wear hats at worship (I think) . . .

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by QuietMBR:
I wear clothing. People appreciate that.

When I was interviewed for my job at my church, I asked about proper office attire. My boss (who is also my rector and someone I'd known before that as well) answered "clothes." I've tried to follow that rule.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Percy

Jengie

Thanks Jengie.

But he was a Jew and Jewish men, at least today, wear hats at worship (I think) . . .

Well this is what he writes in 1 Corinthians 11:7-10 (NIV because I am lazy, bold mine)
quote:

A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own head, because of the angels.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is becoming increasingly common for young men (and some old ones too) to wear hats in church.

It seems churlish to tell them off or ask them to remove them, especially when they present themselves at the communion rail.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Percy

Jengie

Thanks Jengie.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Percy

Jengie

Thanks Jengie.

While he was a Jew Paul was a Roman citizen, so it is likely that in addition to being bald (as stated in scripture) he cut his hair short and went bare-headed.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

On an aside I hadn't realised that St Paul was bald.

I've wondered before about men and hats in church. I've never understood why Jews and Muslims are in favour and Christians are not. Mind you as Leo says there is slippage in this dress code among Christians of today!

A simple question - did the Jewish men of the time of Our Lord cover their heads in the synagogue? - indeed did the Lord, I wonder.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016