homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Church worship dress code (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Church worship dress code
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Helping with Sunday School leads me to wear casual clothes so that I can run about with the children. Sometimes the children attend wearing their Sunday best, and then I have to ditch the more lively games. The regulars come in trainers so we can do what we like.

The adults wear whatever they are comfotable in, but always enough to cover the essentials. I've never seen anyone told off for what they are wearing. A funny look might come someone's way, but that would be the height of it I think.

One thing I almost never wear to church is make-up. I put on a smidge of mascara once and a male friend spent so long telling me I looked lovely that I got distinctly uncomfortable.

Cattyish, voluntary hat wearer.

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Percy

It is back to St Paul and his statement that women should have their heads covered. He implies pretty strongly in the same that men should not!

Jengie

Thanks Jengie.

But he was a Jew and Jewish men, at least today, wear hats at worship (I think) . . .

AS did Christian men at least until the 17th century, and possibly until into the 19th.

Mind you, they (men of the upper and middle classes) also wore hats at the dinner table in the 17th century. And if they took off their hats, they were wearing heavy dress wigs. By the 19th they had progressed to taking them off and carrying them inside the house, and not wearing wigs.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't know that John Holding. It does seem to go against what St Paul was requesting! But it's very interesting.

I seem to remember that some -is it some Indian Christians - are barefoot at worship, or at least part of worship.

I suppose what people wear or do not wear at worship is often related to the culture of the place, but may tend to be slightly more conservative.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our cong is mostly people in thier 20's and 30's some of us, like me, are older (40s). We tend to wear ordinary clothes. I have taken to wearing a cap (baseball style) to church. No one has asked me to take it off.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Holjo
Apprentice
# 10912

- Posted      Profile for Holjo   Email Holjo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The most curious rule I have come across as a musician playing in church bands, is where women members / singers were encouraged to wear a version of masking tape across their nipples as the the stage lights had the potential effect to leave our female colleagues somewhat exposed.........totally mad , but true

--------------------
Id rather be fishing

Posts: 50 | From: coming soon to a theatre near you | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Holjo:
The most curious rule I have come across as a musician playing in church bands, is where women members / singers were encouraged to wear a version of masking tape across their nipples as the the stage lights had the potential effect to leave our female colleagues somewhat exposed.........totally mad , but true

You're harking back to the wonders of the cheesecloth era . . . . .

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If our congregation has a dress code I'd love to see a written form, because on a typical Sunday there's everything to be seen from traditional "Sunday-go-to-church" clothes (although that is increasingly rare) to business-casual to jeans-and-tees to...well, two of our more colorful individuals go in for gear like Scottish kilts with tie-died socks (that's the husband). As far as objectionable dress...well, the tweens and teens are usually the ones to push that envelope with pants falling off their fannies (is this ever going to go away?), exposed navels and such...and some of the younger working-class women go in for the skin-tight-mini/makeup-by-the-trowel look (which IMHO is all about taste than morality...in rural America a lot of people gauge their clothing by what they see people wearing on TV shows rather than, say, what might make them more employable or "suburban middle-class" appearing.) I can't think of anyone ever being overtly chastised for what they wore to church; although personally I wanted to throw a robe over the teenager with the tramp stamp and low-rise jeans who used to periodically acolyte for us, who refused to don the appropriate clothing. (Who later came to youth group wailing, I was told, because some of the other girls at school were calling her a "ho": "No one should be able to tell me how to dress! I just want to be me!" Sigh. Why I don't work with yoof.)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
...I have taken to wearing a cap (baseball style) to church. No one has asked me to take it off.

I don't wish to be rude, but why do you wear a cap indoors? Personal taste, I suppose, but it's something I just can't get. Then, I'm the sort of person who quite often- not invariably- takes my cap off when I pop into the corner shop on my way home.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Holjo:
women members / singers were encouraged to wear a version of masking tape across their nipples as the the stage lights had the potential effect to leave our female colleagues somewhat exposed.........totally mad , but true

The maddest thing about this is the idea of 'stage lights' in church, especially focussed on the singers. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
...I have taken to wearing a cap (baseball style) to church. No one has asked me to take it off.

I don't wish to be rude, but why do you wear a cap indoors? Personal taste, I suppose, but it's something I just can't get. Then, I'm the sort of person who quite often- not invariably- takes my cap off when I pop into the corner shop on my way home.
I would no more wear a hat inside a church than I would sit without one in a synagogue. However, an arguement might be made if the cap had no insignia on the front, so that there be no mistaking idolatry toward the Toronto Maple Leafs or whatever the favoured team might be, as the Golden Calf has been replaced as a source of non-Yahwist worship by professional sports.

A friend who sings in a local Presbyterian choir confirms the necessity for nipple tape, owing to the lighting at that church. Two of us at the table exclaimed that we had no idea that Presbyterians have nipples and were rewarded with a Jenny Geddes glare.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This hat issue is one that causes frustration to our wardens. Being of the older generation they are of a time when men doffed their caps at authority and would not wear them in church.

Those times have long been forgotten by youngsters and youths frequently come into church with hats of different sorts on.

The wardens wage a war against this habit and are always asking the youths to remove their hats; the youths genuinely don’t understand what is going on and feel ‘got at,’ as the wardens don’t feel the need to tell adults that they are inappropriately dressed. So they will often remove their hats, only to put them on again when the wardens have moved on, the wardens then become apoplectic.
The wardens see gross disrespect; the youths feel even more that church is a strange place where they are not welcome.
The vicar has tried to explain that it is a culture difference and not disrespect. However the wardens genuinely can’t see that times have changed. They think it obvious that people know hats are not worn indoors or in church and are taken off as a sign of respect.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a little boy turn up to church today in a Firefighter Outfit. It was pleasing to see that, in case of emergency, we were all in safe hands. [Cool]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
This hat issue is one that causes frustration to our wardens. Being of the older generation they are of a time when men doffed their caps at authority and would not wear them in church ...

You may recall that, in its early years, the BBC decided not to broadcast Royal Weddings or Armistice Day services for fear that they "might even be heard by persons in public houses with their hats on".

Presumably not women ... for no respectable woman would be seen in such a place!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
A friend who sings in a local Presbyterian choir confirms the necessity for nipple tape, owing to the lighting at that church. Two of us at the table exclaimed that we had no idea that Presbyterians have nipples and were rewarded with a Jenny Geddes glare.

We all have nipples. Get over it

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
This hat issue is one that causes frustration to our wardens. Being of the older generation they are of a time when men doffed their caps at authority and would not wear them in church ...

You may recall that, in its early years, the BBC decided not to broadcast Royal Weddings or Armistice Day services for fear that they "might even be heard by persons in public houses with their hats on".

Presumably not women ... for no respectable woman would be seen in such a place!

with or without her hat on...
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A lady removes her hat only in her own home . . . but nowadays it must be added in her own place of business. So unless she owns the public house, she leaves her hat on.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tidy – some a little more dressy (but appropriately) than others.

My only solecism – for a few years in my forties I took to riding a motor bike. Someone objected, reasonably I supposed, that as an elder distributing communion I shouldn't have done it dressed in jeans and biking boots.

GG (Presbyterian)

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This hat issue is one that causes frustration to our wardens. Being of the older generation they are of a time when men doffed their caps at authority and would not wear them in church.

Those times have long been forgotten by youngsters and youths frequently come into church with hats of different sorts on.

The wardens wage a war against this habit and are always asking the youths to remove their hats; the youths genuinely don’t understand what is going on and feel ‘got at,’ as the wardens don’t feel the need to tell adults that they are inappropriately dressed. So they will often remove their hats, only to put them on again when the wardens have moved on, the wardens then become apoplectic.
The wardens see gross disrespect; the youths feel even more that church is a strange place where they are not welcome.
The vicar has tried to explain that it is a culture difference and not disrespect. However the wardens genuinely can’t see that times have changed. They think it obvious that people know hats are not worn indoors or in church and are taken off as a sign of respect.

Has the vicar tried explaining to the yoofs that it is a sign of respect for a man to remove his hat in church, and that at any rate failing to do so causes- unintntional- distress to some other members of the congregation, so in the spirit of respecting tender consciences of others if nothing else, would they be understanding of this and remove their headgear?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

Sorry I should have been clearer it is not regular members but is something that happens actually during baptism services. When the church is full of non members and the vicar is taking the baptism.

The vicar has tried to explain to the wardens, that this is not about disrespect but about culture, these youngsters are several generations removed from knowing the wardens hat etiquette.

The wardens insist that ‘everybody knows you don't wear hats in church’ and have even been known to walk up behind young people and remove their hats for them

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is just not on. I'm a churchwarden and would never remove caps like that - surely it just reinforces negative views of the church?

I remember some TV programme a few years back when that happened to some boys who had ventured into a church. They had just sat down, their baseball caps were snatched off their heads, so they got up and strode out again.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The rule is not about wearing hats, but having the head covered during worship. I hope they are equally diligent at removing toupees from the older men.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

I agree pine marten, that's what i was saying about reinforcing these young peoples notions, that we are wierd people and they are not welcome
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, sorry, I see that now. Though I am of the older generation, being of pensionable age [Cool] but not, I hope, a miserable old bag.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You certainly aren't, Pine.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Thanks! [Yipee]

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I came across a friend's church in the US which has a 'pyjama' Sunday. People attend in pyjamas. I think it's to allow young people who want to lie in to come as they are.

This seems an example of a church suggesting a dress code for a particular Sunday.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We normally have folks dressed in their finest for church. Unfortunately, the A/C hasn't been working most of the summer, and the sanctuary is really hot. The choir are robeless right now, which has never been done before. Some of the ladies are wearing dresses and jackets to look nice, with streams of sweat rolling down their faces. Two of the men are wearing suits. Just looking at them gives me heat rash.

I wish we could have an understanding that nice, summer-weight clothing is a good alternative to fainting in the choir loft. [Frown]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Suitable/appropriate attire for church = seemly.

Agree, most posters more concerned about women's attire than men's - curious?

For weddings, I've noticed that guests (and some brides) are wearing less and less. Strapless dresses for all are now de rigeur: most amusing to watch half the congregation shivering like whippets beause they haven't allowed for being in an unheated stone box and unable to move about to generate heat for 45 minutes or so.

Generally speaking, I'd say that strapless wedding dresses are not a good idea - looks very tacky on all but the very slimmest. [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recall one of my predecessors as church warden getting near-apoplectic at a teenage visitor who was wearing a baseball cap. I didn't think the incident reflected well on anyone.

We're fairly mixed; I often wear precisely what I'd wear to the office, usually golf shirt and maybe reasonably good jeans. Now and then I've worn shorts to church. Some few wear suits, shirts and ties or smart dresses. Kids wear whatever. I've worn my kilt to church, but maybe not this parish, I can't actually remember. I certainly wore my kilt to my wedding at the cathedral.

I remember a baptism where I nearly suffocated in the moth ball smell coming off someone's good jacket he'd got out for the occasion.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

As well as seemly dress it seems to me that some churches have a more specific code. For example I would imagine some -albeit few- churches still require ladies to have their head covered.

In writing this I wondered if any of the women of the royal family had ever been seen in church with their heads not covered. I simply do not know the answer to that one. [Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A warden snatching a hat off someone's head is rude and disrespectful. A man wearing a hat in church is also rude and disrespectful.

I see nothing wrong with the usher quietly, apologetically, asking the young man to take his hat off as he enters; "I'm terribly sorry, but it is our custom to show respect for God's house by removing our hats."

Surely that isn't too awfully weird and unwelcoming. Same goes for another lady quietly asking Miss Trampstamp to cover up a bit. "You're so pretty, I'm afraid it distracts the boys."

I think we sometimes try too hard to make the young people feel comfy. Church isn't supposed to be the same as the pub on Saturday night. It loses some of it's mystique if we make it so. There may be a few young people who refuse to go if they have to wear clothes or whatever but then think of all the ones who won't bother to come back if Church just seems the same as the local hang out, only with a sermon.

Where did we ever get the idea that young people don't like beautiful music or bit of formality and elegance?

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
A warden snatching a hat off someone's head is rude and disrespectful. A man wearing a hat in church is also rude and disrespectful.

I see nothing wrong with the usher quietly, apologetically, asking the young man to take his hat off as he enters; "I'm terribly sorry, but it is our custom to show respect for God's house by removing our hats."

Surely that isn't too awfully weird and unwelcoming. Same goes for another lady quietly asking Miss Trampstamp to cover up a bit. "You're so pretty, I'm afraid it distracts the boys."

I think we sometimes try too hard to make the young people feel comfy. Church isn't supposed to be the same as the pub on Saturday night. It loses some of it's mystique if we make it so. There may be a few young people who refuse to go if they have to wear clothes or whatever but then think of all the ones who won't bother to come back if Church just seems the same as the local hang out, only with a sermon.

Where did we ever get the idea that young people don't like beautiful music or bit of formality and elegance?

I've seen many more middle aged people in tracksuits in church than I have young people in very casual clothes.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I only started going to my church last week and there was a problem with the boiler so everyone had to keep their coats on during the service. However from what I could see, it was mostly 50+, lower-middle-class people in slacks or calf-length skirts with a blouse for women, smart trousers with shirt but mostly no ties for men. One slightly younger couple (40somethings I think) wore jeans and fleeces. I was in a dress and thick cardigan with Dr Marten boots. All acolytes/servers/readers in robes.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Casual. But this is

a) Australia, and
b) tropical Australia

[Cool]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the rare occasions I wear headgear (and it will be either a sun-hat or a woolly hat) I instinctively take it off on entering any building. I am sure I must have had it drummed into me when I was a child that boys and men do not wear hats indoors.
Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

No, no, no.

A man wearing a hat in church is interpreted as disrespectful by you because of your particular cultural experience. There is nothing inherent to "hat wearing" itself that makes it rude or disrespectful. It is considered "rude and disrespectful" only because "we" have decided it is.

Now, if everyone knows that, then the hat-wearer is consciously choosing the flaunt the social norm, which could be considered rude or disrespectful. But, as noted above, "everyone" doesn't know that. Particularly young people who were raised by a generation of hatless parents. Here in L.A., hats have been so few and far between for more than a generation that there simply has been no reason to pass along that bit of social dogma.

I do agree that the quiet request you suggest seems perfectly reasonable, as long as you don't assume that "everyone" would automatically know that hat-wearing is "disrespectful". Treat it as an educational issue, not a heart issue. Although I'm not quite sure why it should be all that important in the first place.

[ 10. October 2012, 03:15: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Once the whole matter of covering/ uncovering your head was core to social interaction. Now it's as peripheral as the proper management of the bow or the curtsy.

It wouldn't be the first time or only example of the church insisting on forms and conventions which just have the rest of society going Eh?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus:
On the rare occasions I wear headgear (and it will be either a sun-hat or a woolly hat) I instinctively take it off on entering any building. I am sure I must have had it drummed into me when I was a child that boys and men do not wear hats indoors.

I think there are exceptions for cowboys and orthodox Jews.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who was it who wrote 'American detectives never remove their hats/ When investigating murders in other peoples' flats.' But I'm sure that was a long time ago.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Who was it who wrote 'American detectives never remove their hats/ When investigating murders in other peoples' flats.'

Spike Milligan.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Thanks, I'd forgotten. I wondered if it was James Thurber but realised he probably wouldn't say 'flats.'

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Other Half once attended a church service dressed as Mephistopheles. And yes, he was allowed to receive communion.

In our church the only dress code applies to servers and choir members - and provided what you are wearing goes with your robes from the ankles down (no trainers or other scruffy footwear, preferably not jeans although noone will chew you out if you're wearing them), nobody inquires too closely into what you are wearing underneath... I must admit, I've been tempted to wear a swimsuit occasionally in summer. Not this summer though.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nothing wrong with clean trainers under robes - I gave up black shoes in favour of trainers when our curate did.

I don't want to stand out as different do I?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Nothing wrong with clean trainers under robes - I gave up black shoes in favour of trainers when our curate did.

Please get out the smelling salts for Miss Amanda!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
we're very laid back up here. t-shirts, flannels, jeans, carhartts, and variations on the practical boot theme are standard. a dress would look out of place except on a high holiday. most attendees at weddings and funerals will also be dressed in "practical" clothes. I attended one this summer in a dress and Xtratufs and fit right in.

which gives context to: my former priest is a really brilliant man. Transcendent moments in the pews regularly. amazing guy. BUT - he wears grandpa sweaters over the rattiest jeans possible with converse tennies in the summer and shoe packs in the winter. I always loved spotting the frayed cuffs and untied sneaks under his robes.

he also use to smoke rollies right after the service. total class act. When he took over our (fairly urban, therefore slightly more buttoned up) parish, there was some scandalized little old ladies! it's been 20 some years now and he's universally adored, ratty sneaks or no.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm free when he leaves [Biased] . Though I don't do rollies, these days.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
neither does he, anymore. I suspect you'd fit right in, Zaps.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa - check the weather reports [Smile]
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes! It's cold there in mid-summer! (A refreshing change from my neck of the woods at that time.)

We may possibly get to wear choir robes this Sunday! [Yipee] It was all the way down to 67.9 F this morning! WooHoo! Plus, a new AC is being installed in the sanctuary. 90+ degrees is a bit warm for semi-formal wear.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I was hurrying on my way to an appointment this morning and as the first snow of the season began to fall, a man in a toga was seen exiting S Patrick's basilica with other worshippers. At least he was not wearing a baseball cap.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016