homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Church worship dress code (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Church worship dress code
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some churches have red as dress code for Pentecost as a bit of fun.

Is this done for any other Sundays. I guess the best on Easter Day is common in some churches - maybe especially black led churches - who do seem more conservative in dress.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are encouraged to wear red for Pentecost, and white and gold for Easter, Christmas and Christ the King. Red is hard for men - not many here would buy a red sports jacket - but white shirts and a gold or bright yellow tie are easy enough to manage.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a good suggestion for Easter, and also for Christ the King. I take it you are Anglican?

I know it was a tradition to buy new clothes for Easter, or at least to make a special effort. I think this is a good idea to mark the special day. After all we often dress up for family events such as weddings or christenings, so why not for The Lord!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Launceston, Cornwall, the children throw stones up onto the statue of St. Mary Magdalene - in a bid to get new clothes. If the stone lodged there without falling off, it was a sign they would soon be given their new clothes. That sounds too easy, doesn't it? But you have to turn around when throwing the stone so you can't see where it lands. (Sounds like a perfect excuse to how a window got broken to me, but there we are - if you visit the church you can see the pile of stones which were successful.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe it was also traditional to have new clothes for Whitsun?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This reminds me of an Emo Phillips sketch about a bunny suit (I suppose it might have been a bit like Comet's Panda suit, on other threads). He tried it on, liked it, asked the sales assistant 'But when would I get the chance to wear it?'
Assistant 'How about Easter?'
Emo Phillips (lugubriously) 'I guess she attends a different church than I do'.
[Killing me]
Or words to that effect.

Mrs. S, racking her brains for the actual words he used [Confused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Sainted Percy
Apprentice
# 17388

- Posted      Profile for The Sainted Percy   Email The Sainted Percy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dress code? Officially there isn't one, practically. enough tweed and pearls to put Country Life to shame.

What an interesting custom! Love 'em.

[ 30. October 2012, 15:20: Message edited by: The Sainted Percy ]

--------------------
Every working man to have a minimum of four hundred a year and every beastly manufacturer who wanted to pay less to be hung.
High Toryism described by Ford Madox Ford

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Percy! I do try to wear a red polo shirt when appropriate, but I have not worn a necktie in this century which is since I converted to Roman Catholicism. I will generally preserve my short-sleeved (Corvette) yellow shirt for Easter.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cthulhu
PRAY TO BE EATEN FIRST
# 16186

- Posted      Profile for Cthulhu   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
CLOTHE YOURSELF IN DESPAIR AS ALL HOPE ABANDONS YOU!

--------------------
I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL. Nothing personal.

Posts: 78 | From: R'lyeh | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Overused]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to The Ship Cthulhu.

I am sure you will fit in perfectly - but perhaps less of the shouty capitals, hmmm?

Firenze
Heaven Host

[ 31. October 2012, 07:26: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We are encouraged to wear red for Pentecost, and white and gold for Easter, Christmas and Christ the King. Red is hard for men - not many here would buy a red sports jacket - but white shirts and a gold or bright yellow tie are easy enough to manage.

We have in the past been encouraged by our priest to wear pink for Gaudete Sunday, to match his nice rose-coloured (pink!) vestments [Smile] .

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Oh my - I wonder how many actually wore pink!

Although we seem to say we are relaxed about dress code I have my suspicion many of us, and many of our churches have a limit. Rome churches have signs up often of no bare arms and no shorts. Although I have not seen signs in churches in England I still feel there are unwritten expectations that form dress codes.

Certainly in some churches that seems true of sidemen and church wardens who dress smartly. I think in some cathedrals sidemen wear morning suits.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
Certainly in some churches that seems true of sidemen and church wardens who dress smartly...

Our Head Usher regularly wears shorts and an Aloha shirt. As does the Senior Warden's husband, and many others.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

A few years ago I attended morning worship at St Paul's Cathedral in London. I seem to remember the sidemen, and I think they were just men, wearing morning suits.

Am I right on that?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Slight tangent: when we moved to Cardiff from south London some 10 years ago, there was a womens clothes shop in a fairly upmarket (and rather white) suburban shopping street that advertised 'Caribbean wedding wear'. It took me some time to work out that, to my disappointment, this meant what you wear to go and get married on the beach in Barbados rather than the kind of vibrant colours, leg of mutton sleeves and big hats that I'd seen West Indian ladies wearing to weddings etc where we'd come from.

Not Albany Road, perchance?

I go to a Catholic Church in one of the less affluent suburbs of Cardiff, again there is no dress code, perhaps two or three of the men wear suits or jacket and tie (I am the youngest of these by about 30 yrs). Two of us wear "proper" hats to church, I would say I have the advantage of that other chap by about 40 yrs. Some of the ladies dress up, others don't. I have yet to pesuade my wife and daughter to adopt the mantilla, though on the other hand Christmas is coming up...

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, Percy B, my Dad used to be a wandsman (sidesman) at St. Paul's Cathedral and certainly in his time they all wore morning suits.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Slight tangent: when we moved to Cardiff from south London some 10 years ago, there was a womens clothes shop in a fairly upmarket (and rather white) suburban shopping street that advertised 'Caribbean wedding wear'. It took me some time to work out that, to my disappointment, this meant what you wear to go and get married on the beach in Barbados rather than the kind of vibrant colours, leg of mutton sleeves and big hats that I'd seen West Indian ladies wearing to weddings etc where we'd come from.

Not Albany Road, perchance?

Close. Wellfield Rd. I don't think it's there any more.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
Yes, Percy B, my Dad used to be a wandsman (sidesman) at St. Paul's Cathedral and certainly in his time they all wore morning suits.

Thanks for confirming that Polly. I take it then that (if it still exists at St Paul's) means the Cathedral supply the mourning suits, and so at least for these chaps apply a very definite dress code! I do see people in gowns in some cathedrals in England but they seem to be ushers or guides during the day and not so much during worship, I think.

I don't actually attend Cathedral worship that much so not sure if the sidemen or whatever have a dress code beyond St Paul's.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I have yet to pesuade my wife and daughter to adopt the mantilla, though on the other hand Christmas is coming up...

A nice glass of mantilla is quite a cheering aperitif for Christmas dinner. [Biased]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:

Thanks for confirming that Polly. I take it then that (if it still exists at St Paul's) means the Cathedral supply the mourning suits, and so at least for these chaps apply a very definite dress code!
I doubt very much that the cathedral would provide the morning dress -- anyone asked to be a wandsman would be assumed to be someone who would own his own, for use as appropriate both in and out of church. Some people do own the ourfit, and it is worn -- much less than formerly -- at functions other than weddings.

And yes, it is a class thing, which is why I suspect the people at St. Paul's probably no longer wear morning dress.

John

[ 14. November 2012, 18:48: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
I have yet to pesuade my wife and daughter to adopt the mantilla, though on the other hand Christmas is coming up...

A nice glass of mantilla is quite a cheering aperitif for Christmas dinner. [Biased]
I have only once seen the mantilla regularly in use in a Church of England church, in Cambridge by a young Anglo Catholic lady, many years ago.

Is it found today in some of the rarefied A C shrines such as Bourne Street?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't speak from any acquaintance with the greater Anglo-Catholic shrine churches, unfortunately. However, I have seen a mantilla being worn in earnest here in the UK in a Catholic church, which is almost more surprising. It was in St. Davids Cathedral here in Cardiff, probably about eight years ago now. The lady who wore it is no longer with us and, rather less surprisingly, I haven't seen one since. I think it is ripe for a revival!

On a related note, I always used to get a new set of clothes to wear to Mass on Christmas Day when I was a boy, and I think possibly Easter too. From that I made some sort of mental link between church and new clothes such that even to this day I try and make sure to wear my new clothes to church first.

Whilst I am not slavish about it (there isn't enough green in my wardrobe for that) I do try and pick up the liturgical colours of the day in my wardrobe where possible, so white or gold tie for Easter and Christmas, purple in the tie or shirt for Advent and Lent, white shirt and black tie for Good Friday, etc. Certain people in my wife's choir in her Anglican days used to do the same, those who weren't choosing accessories to match their hoods, of course.

--------------------
Catholic books

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does one wear her mantilla for the whole Mass or just when going up to receive? (And coming back to the pew)
Just heard last week that Maronite women here throw on a scarf "just before". And they will sometimes pass the same scarf to sister or sister-in-law.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

All the time I think.

[Duplicate post removed.]

[ 24. November 2012, 16:15: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
Catholic books

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When a group of us Mystery Worshipped an Armenian Church we noticed that they had baskets of mantilla-type veils which any women with uncovered heads took on their way up to Communion (and removed right after receiving).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One wears a mantilla for the entire Mass. It used to be a women covered her head with a hat, mantilla, or something else, whenever she entered a Catholic church whether or not a Mass was going on.

Don't forget the mantilla is a traditional garment in Spanish/Hispanic cultures that was worn outside of church.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
From that I made some sort of mental link between church and new clothes such that even to this day I try and make sure to wear my new clothes to church first.

An interesting quirk, which I confess that I share (not because of childhood experience parallel to MM, however). An isolated but harmless bit of OCD, or is it perhaps not so uncommon?

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now I've stopped work, my skirts and jackets would never get worn at all if it wasn't for Sundays and church. So, even though I go straight into the choir vestry and put on a cassock, I get dressed up to go to church in the first place. (And then try not to spill coffee or Sunday lunch all down them, so they are still clean for Evensong.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our music group, by which I mean the pianist and I (guitarist), turned up to play this morning wearing coordinating T-shirt/scarf combos this morning. This has happened before with three of us arriving in liturgical purple.

Does anyone else have this weird psychic power (you'll have to imagine the Twilight Zone theme I'm afraid; I have no idea how to type it [Biased] )? Also, is there a part of the church year covered by teal?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Also, is there a part of the church year covered by teal?

Ask Rev Barbie at St Barbara's by the Sea, Malibu, California...she set up a Facebook page when she was "ordained" a couple of years ago.

[ 26. November 2012, 03:37: Message edited by: Galilit ]

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was a little bummed today at mass when I remembered Advent's liturgical color is violet/purple and I could've worn a favorite violet tie but didn't. I wore a red knit tie with blue specks instead. Then I remembered red with blue is supposed to make purple so then I felt a little better.

In the modern Roman Rite, the story of Joseph and his brothers (Gen 37:3-4, 12-13a, 17b-28a) is read on the Friday of the second week of Lent.* This would be an appropriate occasion for the pious and well-dressed gentleman to wear this garment to mass.

*Also another liturgical season for me to wear that violet tie.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:

I have only once seen the mantilla regularly in use in a Church of England church, in Cambridge by a young Anglo Catholic lady, many years ago.

Is it found today in some of the rarefied A C shrines such as Bourne Street?

I follow a blog of an Anglo-Catholic family in the US who wear and sell beautiful mantilla veils here. I particularly like the 'eternity' style and am tempted to adopt a mantilla for church, but sadly the family in question donate a portion of their profits to an anti-choice charity so I can't buy from them personally. Time to whip out the sewing machine perhaps!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, men wore head covering at the time of Jesus. Tradition said a man could not walk more than four cubits without his head being covered. It was viewed as a way of honoring God.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

That's very interesting Gramps, and perhaps points to the significant point that dress code and tradition are closely related, and tradition binds us a little more than we think.

Of course many churches don't have a policy on dress. But some churches I have visited do say no shorts or naked arms - I noticed many churches in Rome following this a few years ago.

And of course isn't there scriptural precedent about dress code - in the guy that turns up in the wrong dress for the wedding. (I hope I got that right, my scriptural knowledge is not as good as it should be - can u help me out!)

The alb is said to be the base robe of Christians, the robe of the baptised. But to what extent was it ever worn by lay people - what dress code governed its use? Certainly I haven't seen anyone in the pews wearing an alb as usual dress.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some of us "getting older" women have commented to each other that wearing a skirt to church is just a habit from how we were reared. I have younger friends who don't own a skirt, I wonder if that kind of clothing will disappear completely in another generation.

Most women wear nice pants suits, Episcopal. Half and half nice clothes and daily jeans in Methodist. Daily jeans & t shirt in the non-denominationals I visit. In any group, a few older men in a suit and older women in a skirt.

I am likely to wear a jeans skirt and nice T shirt. I do watch out for what the shirt says, if anything. But I do that other places too, I don't wear one chorus' t-shirt to a different chorus' rehearsal, nor my "one nation under surveillance" t-shirt through airport security. And "my other shirt is the proper liturgical color" wouldn't make any sense in a non-denominational church.

Hats on boys? I am reminded of the line "the young women don't wear hats and the young men often do" in Mrs Beamish

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see we've spent 3 months now cogitating, in an increasingly sporadic manner, on 'church dress'. The disconnect between sequential posts in some instances make it more of a communal blog than a discussion.

Maybe time to hang this one in the wardrobe. And to emphasise that a good thread needs either a simple but well-defined topic (reading, gardening, cooking) for which there are an infinite number of relevant posts, or spark a discussion where posters can engage with and develop a topic until such point as the subject has been thoroughly run round the block and reaches a natural conclusion.

Firenze
Policy-promulgating Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016