homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The return of Downton (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The return of Downton
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post, but
quote:
There are too many hints about Mary not being in an interesting condition.
Yes, I noticed that she didn't want to talk about why she'd visited the doctor in the previous episode.

I wouldn't have thought she would be very keen on getting herself in an Interesting Condition after what happened to Sybil...

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I'm loving the way Ethel's coming into her own

I mean Edith. [Hot and Hormonal] Ethel's the disgraced maid. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would there be any question over the baby's baptism? Wouldn't she have to be brought up a Catholic, as it was a mixed marriage?

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only in theory. The trailer for the next episode suggests that she will be baptised RC because the Earl, having insisted on the Harley Street obgyn, is no longer in a position to insist on anything relating to Sibyl and her child. The Granthams don't give a hoot what is required in a mixed marriage, and the baby's father only wants her to be RC because she's Oirish.

[ 16. October 2012, 16:43: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
The Granthams don't give a hoot what is required in a mixed marriage, and the baby's father only wants her to be RC because she's Oirish.

They'll probably have to have a Catholic christening if only to put Lord Grantham firmly in his place. ("Mary, tell your father to sleep in the kennel tonight, I mean dressing room.")

I'm seeing a scenario where mad with grief Branson jumps into the Liffey/has a breakdown and the baby is brought up at Downton, and her cuteness (and resemblance to Sybil) eventually reunites Cora and Lord Grantham.

Surprised at Thomas being so moved by Sybil's death, but nice to see he has a human side to him. Will the new footman sock him one on the jaw and get himself dismissed?

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hurrah for Anna and Bates! That should add a bit of fun to the goings-on downstairs - Bates will probably see pretty quickly what Thomas and O'Brien are up to.

And kudos to Granny for doing what she did, she is magnificent.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To my mind the most interesting aspect of last night's episode is 'What will Daisy do next?' Be fascinating to see how many people want to marry her if she does decide to go and be a farmer...

I did briefly wonder whether Branson would take up the vacant farm that Matthew is agonising over. But the way he was talking suggests that he will tootle off to Liverpool and get a job as a mechanic, contrary to Sybil's wishes.

I also wonder whether the twist to the Bates subplot will turn out to be that he really did murder her after all; once the verdict has been set aside he could go and confess at the top of his voice in the middle of the Old Bailey with impunity, because of the law of double jeopardy.

Mind you, poisoning doesn't seem in character.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just love Maggie Smith as she remindss me of my mother.

Incidentally Maggie is 'Lady Grantham' and not 'Lady Violet' - the latter would imply that she was an Earl's daughter (she might have been), rather than the wife of an Earl or Marquess.

The late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother disliked the term 'Dowager', and had invented for her the novel title of 'Queen Mother' though she was always referred to in private and formally as 'Queen Elizabeth' not 'The Queen Mother'

The reigning Sovereign is simply 'The Queen' NOT 'Queen Elizabeth'

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Incidentally Maggie is 'Lady Grantham' and not 'Lady Violet' - the latter would imply that she was an Earl's daughter (she might have been), rather than the wife of an Earl or Marquess.

It does make it easier for the purposes of this thread, though, otherwise people may assume that "Lady Grantham" is Cora, which could lead to confusion.
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Therefore she is formally: Violet, Lady Grantham. She simply is NOT Lady Violet, who would be a different person entirely, and either a young woman or an aged spinster who was the daughter of an Earl.

The Dowager Countess would freeze anyone at 100 yards who made such an error.

From time to time here in our village we hear of 'Lady Emma' who is the wife of someone knighted on becoming a senior military officer. She is not 'Lady Emma' but Lady Jones. She is not a member of the peeerage.

It would be like (say) referring to a newly ordained assistant curate in speech as 'archdeacon'.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Oz/NZ she's likely to be 'Em'

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

How very presumptuous. [Smile]

--------------------
sebhyatt

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Queen Mother was normally referred to as "Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother", IIRC. the Queen seems to be referred to as "Her Majesty The Queen", and only "Queen Elizabeth" when she is being talked about with a historical perspective, to distinguish her from other Queens and Kings.

And if I had to refer to Lady Grantham face to face, she would probably be "erm [gulp] Ma'am?", as she scares me even over the screen.

Even today, some people with titles are insistent on them being used properly, whereas others do not care, and I don't think this is a generational thing.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
The Queen Mother was normally referred to as "Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother", IIRC. the Queen seems to be referred to as "Her Majesty The Queen", and only "Queen Elizabeth" when she is being talked about with a historical perspective, to distinguish her from other Queens and Kings.

And if I had to refer to Lady Grantham face to face, she would probably be "erm [gulp] Ma'am?", as she scares me even over the screen.

Even today, some people with titles are insistent on them being used properly, whereas others do not care, and I don't think this is a generational thing.

To her staff Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was always 'Queen Elizabeth' (NEVER 'the Queen Mother') and when addressed 'Your Majesty' in the first instance, and then 'Ma'am' (to rhyme with 'ham') thereafter.

Similarly, the reigning Sovereign has always been simply 'The Queen' or more formally 'Her Majesty The Queen' NEVER 'Queen Elizabeth'. In speech her style is that as for Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

I once made the mistake of referring to HM as 'Queen Elizabeth' to a lady in waiting, and was met with a bemused look as she had assumed that the Queen Mother and Queen Elizabeth I had both died.

I do rather like the archaic mode of addressing the monarch in the third person as in 'the Queen's Grace...'

--------------------
sebhyatt

Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother disliked the term 'Dowager', and had invented for her the novel title of 'Queen Mother' though she was always referred to in private and formally as 'Queen Elizabeth' not 'The Queen Mother'

She couldn't have invented the title 'Queen Mother'. I have before me a copy of the BCP (undated but inscribed 1912) in which the Prayer for the Royal Family includes "our gracious Queen Mary, Alexandra the Queen Mother, Edward Prince of Wales . . ."
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sebby - by referred to, I meant on TV and the like, where I presume they would know the proper formal titles to give them. Some of us don't hang around the royal palaces enough to know what they are called at home, you may be surprised to know. Although I have actually been into the Palace.

The "Your Majesty" followed by "ma'am" I have heard before, and would try to remember if the occasion ever came up. Having said that, I am not especially good at using titles, as I generally prefer to use peoples names. Probably why the CofE and I always struggled.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Edith and Branson could become close and there could be all sorts of arguments not just about class, Ireland and Popery, but the real horror of marrying one's deceased wife's sister.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:

She couldn't have invented the title 'Queen Mother'. I have before me a copy of the BCP (undated but inscribed 1912) in which the Prayer for the Royal Family includes "our gracious Queen Mary, Alexandra the Queen Mother, Edward Prince of Wales . . ."
That is certainly true, but the way the Queen Mother (as we knew her) used it was completely novel. Queen Alexandra in her lifetime was never called 'The Queen Mother' as Queen Elizabeth was depite formal use in the Prayer Book, but simply 'Queen Alexandra'. Queen Mary, although a surviving Queen Mother and grandmother was NEVER so called. She was 'Queen Mary'.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:

That is certainly true, but the way the Queen Mother (as we knew her) used it was completely novel. . . .
Nor I think were Alexandra or Mary known as 'Dowager'. The title we came to love was probably taken up more out of necessity because she had the same name as her daughter and the illustrious Tudor.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

And Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother may have become a more common title, just to clarify the distinction between her and the current queen.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

but again, NEVER used as such by those in royal service, formally, or by those 'in the know'.

The title 'Queen Dowager' was used most certainly of Queen Adelaide (wife of William IV) in the early years of Queen Victoria's reign. As far as I am aware, it is the last instance of that useage.

A number of widowed peeresses have disliked the term 'Dowager' and never used it. An example was the late musician June Aberdeen. She was always June, Marchioness of Aberdeen. In speech 'Lady Aberdeen' as her daughter-in-law.

Interestingly, a few divorced peeresses have reverted to the dowager form but without the 'dowager' of course. Thus (say) Lydia, Lady Taunton.

Referring to the original digression, neither would have been Lady June or Lady Lydia as they WEREN'T those persons.

*peeresses are the wives of peers. Ladies with noble titles in their own right, and not courtesy ones, are peers.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

My point was simply that the 'Queen Mother' title was not one invented for or by the present Queen's mother, and nor was it "novel". It was a title available to her, and a particularly useful one as (unlike Alexandra and Mary) she needed to be distinguished from her daughter.

[ 28. October 2012, 15:23: Message edited by: Corvo ]

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

Yes, I understand your point and agree with it - but there was a novelty in the way it was used and I doubt will ever be used again in quite the same way. It goes somewhat beyond what you suggest.

In short, and not quite the full story, on the death of King George VI in 1952, his vigorous and comparatively young widow, who had been the driving force behind her husband and supported him through the abdication crisis and the Second World War, experienced an acute and quite severe depression.

Queen Mary was still alive and living in Marlborough House, which would have been the natural home for Queen Elizabeth after her daughter's accession to the throne. Queen Elizabeth was offered the more modest Clarence House, and eventually made this her 'court'.

The then prime minister (Winston Churchill) and a few other close ministers were quite concerned about her. This was because of her depressed state, her formidable personality and comparative youth, her incredible influence with her daughter the new Queen, and the fact that although the public were rejoicing in a new Elizabethan age dawning in a grim and ration conscious 1950s, the widow of the late King was a popular figure associated with Britain's recent war victory and very highly regarded, especially in the capital.

It was suggested to her in the first instance that she should take an interest in her regiments. This she did, and it helped 'take her out of herself' as it were, and on the road to recovery. Added to this was the almost immediate suggestion fired by Churchill and others, that she should be 'The Queen Mother' and carve out a specific and supportive role to her daughter. She made this her own, and it was a novelty. A novelty perhaps in the way she used a position that had not previously been a 'Position' as such.

That she was formidable cannot be in any doubt. Early in The Queen's reign, seeing Queen Elizabeth's car drawing up on the sweep at the front of Buckingham Palace (the bit on the other side from the public bit), the Queen's private secretary said: 'Ah, here comes Your Majesty's biggest problem'.

The present Sovereign would do little without asking 'mummy'. When the monarch voluntarily agreed to pay tax, she was nervous lest Queen Elizabeth should find out, as the Queen Mother and the King had negotiated the previous non-taxpaying settlement themselves.

Frequently musing and asking aloud 'but would the King have done that?' after Queen Elizabeth's death, the Queen has become noticeably more relaxed and self confident.

Understandably, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother took her strength from the fact that she had been a Queen Consort and actually crowned at the coronation of her husband, and was the wife of the King to whom both her daughters looked with love and awestruck admiration. She was not the sort of person who could have become retired like Queen Mary - nor did she intend to be.

Despite the novelty of the way Queen Elizabeth fastened onto the idea of making 'Queen Mother' an almost formal postion, it was not a title she relished. Hence her staff, officials and just about everyone else to her referred to her merely as 'Queen Elizabeth'. On state occasions it was customary to refer to her as 'Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother'.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks, folks. Tangents aside, I hope you're all looking forward to the next episode of Downton Abbey tonight? It will be good to see Bates back.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Perhaps Edith and Branson could become close and there could be all sorts of arguments not just about class, Ireland and Popery, but the real horror of marrying one's deceased wife's sister.

If Edith starts writing for the papers there could be a fair few arguments over the breakfast table in that.
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor old 'Mr Barrow', as he is now. Considering he and O'Brien were once constantly in cahoots she seems to have thrown him to the sharks with scarcely a second thought; and all to give her nephew a leg up, presumably. Perhaps he'll move into one of the cottages - right next door to the Bateses?
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Well that was interesting. Rampant gay sex on Downton! Whatever next.

The preview for next week seems to indicate that the house gets into even more chaos next week.

The political manoeuvrings below stairs and above stairs are very different, the ones above stairs being along strict lines, as per the previous discussions in this thread. the ones below stairs are much more like standard office politics today. Is there no escaping it anywhere?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

No, that's human nature. Office politics ye shall always have with you.

I assume we've just seen Edith's New Boyfriend. Will he turn out to be already married?

Best thing about that episode: the baby. Too cute for words.

Nadir of episode: Thomas really believed that O'Brien was telling the truth about hearing James singing his praises to Alfred?

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I assume we've just seen Edith's New Boyfriend. Will he turn out to be already married?

Did anyone else think he was incredibly like whatsisname who jilted her?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, for a moment I thought it was him. Perhaps that was a deliberate choice, he might be Her Type, and then she'll realize that he isn't The Man She Is Still Carrying A Torch For and it'll all fall apart.

Then again, perhaps not.

SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was shocked to find myself experiencing symptoms of sympathy for Thomas! O'Brian has played a long game with devastating results, but this could all end terribly for Thomas. Was anyone else watching the whole slow car crash through their fingers?
Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to The Ship, SyNoddy.

Heaven is, of course, the bestest board, but do check out the others - the rubrics give an idea of their scope and purpose.

Any questions, just ask. Enjoy.

Firenze
Heaven Host

[ 30. October 2012, 09:03: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was feeling annoyed watching Downton yesterday, as I am finding this third series to continue to be good and interesting; I am annoyed because the second series has prepared me to expect cheap soap opera stumbling blocks appearing in the path of our hero and heroines, but they do not.

I have been intrigued to observe the conflict between young Crawley and the Lord over the estate - that was good drama as was the Ethel tea scene last week.

And indeed this series has been so much better written than the second that Thomas has ceased to be a pantomime villain and has become a realised person evoking sympathy.

This third series has been consistently good.

And if people wish to discuss events that haven't been show yet would you put 'SPOILER' before it.

[ 30. October 2012, 13:30: Message edited by: Mr Clingford ]

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't been shown where? If it's been on ITV surely it's fair game? Or are we waiting for it to be broadcast in the US before we can talk about it properly?
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
Haven't been shown where? If it's been on ITV surely it's fair game? Or are we waiting for it to be broadcast in the US before we can talk about it properly?

I mean the 'next week on DA' bit at the end of each episode.

--------------------

If only.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I think we're entitled to talk about that. It lasts barely two minutes and is public viewing, and I think it can fairly be considered a fit topic for speculation on this thread. If you decide not to watch that part of the programme, that's your right, but I don't think speculating about the brief glimpses we see needs spoilers. We don't actually have the details fleshed out - and in some cases people guess wrongly anyway - so aren't giving anything away that isn't already in the public domain. IMO.
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather late to the party I know, but I'd not seen series 1, so now have it on D.V.D. Anyway, anyone know if entails still happen?

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
Rather late to the party I know, but I'd not seen series 1, so now have it on D.V.D. Anyway, anyone know if entails still happen?

They're very rare indeed these days. They can be broken fairly easily. It's been impossible for a very long time to take away the power to sell the land and transfer the entail to the proceeds. And they're not very flexible or effective for tax planning.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watched the Christmas special episode this evening.

Dear me. [Eek!] [Waterworks]

Nen - traumatised.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I must say I hadn't expected that until just before it happened. It's always a giveaway when someone starts telling another character how much they love them.
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much as I have enjoyed Downton Abbey, I'll have to resist reading this posting as it contains too many spoilers- we haven't got the new series yet although I think we will do so later in 2013.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Watched the Christmas special episode this evening.

Dear me. [Eek!] [Waterworks]

Nen - traumatised.

I know the feeling. Not sure where it is going to go next.
Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

The set-up for Matthew's death was soap opera at its worst.

But the special was an enjoyable bit of nonsense to enjoy, especially without adverts on demand.

On to Series 4!

--------------------

If only.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
The set-up for Matthew's death was soap opera at its worst.

Oh, right... are we allowed to give spoilers as spoilery as that? [Eek!]

I disagree, actually - I thought it was quite well handled. Mary was still slightly offish and Matthew was as wibbly and affectionate as I'd have expected from someone as adoringly in love as he is. I only started to guess with the camera angles of him driving along with that soppy grin on his face. Then disbelief set in. They wouldn't, would they? No, surely not. But it looks as though... no... Oh cr@p...

I guess we are quite sure he's dead?

Nen - clutching at straws.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's not exactly been a secret that something had to happen!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, it is a discussion thread, the repeat episode has been shown on TV, the internet and Twitter have been full of "OMG"s, and it would be unfair to expect people not to discuss a stunning final episode at all.

I only twigged just after the adoring "I love you so much" speech when he got into the car with a soppy grin on his face. This is the man who recovered from being completely paralyzed and in a wheelchair but I think Matthew genuinely has had it - the actor playing him wanted to leave the series.

However, they could have waited until war broke out and got him killed parachuting into France or something.

[ 28. December 2012, 12:40: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I am embarrassingly uninformed, nor am I a Facebooker or Tweeter so I didn't know the actor wanted to leave the series. [Hot and Hormonal] No more illusions that he might not be dead. [Roll Eyes] I think it'll lead to more great storylines, I have every confidence in the writers. [Smile]

Nen - in recovery. [Biased]

--------------------

Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the thing about these soaps is they are largely built around the question of will she/ won't she marry him/go to bed with him. Therefore successful marriages (especially among the young, given that older people aren't 'romantic' in soaps) are rare and ultimately doomed. You see, old Mary is now free to hate/love/marry/not marry/bed/not bed some new bloke - and I guarantee she will. The chance of her deciding to live as a chaste widow for the rest of her life is zilch - it wouldn't make 'good' TV.

And yes, I am a cynic.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sighthound:
You see, old Mary is now free to hate/love/marry/not marry/bed/not bed some new bloke - and I guarantee she will.

Well, she won't have any freedom if social media has its way - she's already been paired off with Branson. (Either that or the two children will be married as soon as old enough.)
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
quote:
You see, old Mary is now free to hate/love/marry/not marry/bed/not bed some new bloke - and I guarantee she will.

Well, she won't have any freedom if social media has its way - she's already been paired off with Branson. (Either that or the two children will be married as soon as old enough.)
Surely not. She is his deceased wife's sister. It may have been lawful by the 1920s but it wasn't approved of.

Anyway, isn't the Hon Rose going to set her cap at him?

The two children will come of age about the right time to be killed in the 2nd World War. Perhaps baby Sybil will be parachuted into France as a spy.

Edith is all set to shock everyone by going Bohemian and living in sin.

It is getting into soap territory now.

Also, would people of that class, yet alone any class, have hugged each other when the Granthams said good-bye to the Flintshires? I don't recollect that coming in until about 20 years ago.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
quote:

Well, she won't have any freedom if social media has its way - she's already been paired off with Branson.
I'm sure both of them will be married off in the fullness of time, though not necessarily to each other. It would make things nice and neat, mind you. [Smile]

Nen - who enjoyed Topless Tom Branson. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016