homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Strictly speaking (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Strictly speaking
Sleepwalker
Shipmate
# 15343

- Posted      Profile for Sleepwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Louis and Flavia's dance was an amazing performance and a great recreation of the film with a slow sultriness. I would guess Len was marking on ballroom criteria for salsa and suspect that dance didn't meet those requirements enough to get any more marks.

That's where I got confused by Len because it was supposed to be Hollywood night and therefore there were themes involved. Theirs was clearly Dirty Dancing and while Louis could have been a bit more bendy, technically speaking obviously, that wasn't how the dance was done in the film.
Posts: 267 | From: somewhere other than here | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they were equally bad but I'm very pleased with the result.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble with theme nights is there is a tendency to for get it is a ballroom contest. Accuracy of foot work and dance style are still important. As to the Dirty Dancing routine. The dance style in the film is Mambo. Mambo is only one of the ingredients in the 'sauce' that is Salsa. In an attempt to stick closely to the film Flavia over did the Mambo at the expense of the other styles in Salsa.
Well danced though.
I thought Michael should have gone , but Jerry didn't have long to go anyway

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry for the lack of capital letters - the cat is sitting on my "shift" key hand!
i missed last night's hallowe'en special, but judging by the comments on the guardian live blog, i may not have missed much! what did you guys think should i be upset or not (sorry, can't get to the question mark either)

certainly there was much vitriol on the comments section of the blog about the stupidly "staged" vts; i must say i find them a bit tedious, and would much rather have a "here's how they did in training - really!" than staged "sketches"
after all, we're not six years old and easily amused!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was glad to be catching up on i-player and not watching anything but the dances, but the dancing was mostly pretty good. There were a fair few when I failed to concentrate fully mind you.

Guardian blog comments sound about right.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
The trouble with theme nights is there is a tendency to for get it is a ballroom contest.

There's nothing wrong with theme nights, but my comment is the same as last week. There hasn't been enough time for the celebrities to learn the basics before the themed nights started. Later in the series next year please BBC.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I abhor Halloween silliness but really enjoyed last night's Strictly.
Michael Thing was a different dancer this week, so impressive. I enjoyed Denise and Kimberley's routines too.
I hope you've retrieved your hand now Dormouse. [Killing me]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the Halloween night was great - lots of silly fun! I loved Anton cropping up as a monster in Vincent and Dani's routine. Michael Vaughan was A-MAZ-ING, he's suddenly come to life.

I was sorry to see Sid and Ola go - I voted for them but thought's they'd leave. Sid just seemed to be enjoying it all so much, even if he wasn't great, and Ola-chops is justso lovely to watch. Even my boyfriend watches when Ola's on screen, although I think the hotpants helped. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and the cleavage. If you've got it flaunt it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

That's more like it.

No theme this week, what an improvement.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree re the themed eps. OK, Halloween is when it is, but let that be the first themed one, and then leave it a few weeks before you do another theme.

Suspect Richard may be for the chop this time. Fern wasn't great but Artem's lack of upper body attire will ensure they get votes...

Michael was not as good as the previous week, but still loads better.

Denise's simple, beautiful Viennese waltz was enchanting, but I voted for Dani - the jive really suited her.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad Richard made it through, as he's good entertainment - and I'm happy to see Erin progress further - but do you think it should have been at the expense of Colin? I never thought he looked very comfortable, as the height difference between him and Krysyna was so big, but I think he is the better dancer. What do those "who know about these things" think?

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not an expert, just opinionated. [Big Grin] I think the judges often prefer the celebs who are obviously getting into the dance, and really enjoying the experience. Richard seemed very eager to get his dance right the second time, and I think that helped him. I'm sure Colin wanted to stay in, but he always seems very laid back, and I wonder if that hampered him?
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Colin stumbled over a few steps in the dance off so that wouldn't have helped him, especially as Richard had managed to sort his out. But definitely a tight match.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Dear BBC

I know you are getting a lot of criticism at the moment, but can we have Claudia doing the after dance interviews every week. Please.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And no Bruce?

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seconded!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

Thirded!!

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fourthded!
Claud was so funny last night and there were no embarrassing Brucie moments.
Much better programme. The celebs all pulled out the stops and improved too IMO.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been quite sure about Claudia but she was great last night.
What with Craig and his marking though? I though Louis was better than lots of those he gave more marks to.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only caught a snippet of it on Saturday. What had happened to Brucie?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was due the week of Smudgie. I'm another one who thought it was better without him.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, why did no-one vote for Kimberley?
Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The judges did.

She is safe

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know, but she must have done really badly in the public vote, given how well she had danced earlier.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Perhaps she's not seen as interesting. She seems very nice with Pasha but perhaps they appear slightly dull compared with others. Her position on the board might also be against her.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Dormouse

# 5954

I was sorry to see Fern go, although once Nimble Kimble was in the dnce-off, Fern's demise was inevitable. Had Michael been in the dance off then I suspect Fern would have made it through.

[ 12. November 2012, 14:05: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

The competition is hotting up. Only the good ones - and Vicky P - left.

Although greatly improved from week one, she's possibly the most improved dancer there, but that's not enough. Victoria is lucky there was no elimination in the first week.

Last in the judges voting again, and deservedly so, how long can the public keep her in? To think that at the beginning of the competition I'd tipped her as one to watch, but that was before I'd witnessed her dancing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Michael Vaughan has improved out of all recognition too. He's dancing properly now. I reckon he'd be in contention for most improved dancer too - until his next Latin dance.

Louis Smith isn't improving as much or as fast as the others. He's still relying on the things he was using in week one - great lines and suppleness, engagement with the music and emotional expression, not so much.

[ 25. November 2012, 07:25: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

VP makes me think of bambi: those wobbly, unsure legs.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it me or was Bruce worse than usual last night? I can never decide if his naffness is deliberate or not. As for the dancing I think it's Victoria's time to go - followed maybe by Louis if he doesn't start improving.
It's all abit dull that Denise VO seems destined to win the thing - which is what I would have assuemd if none of them had danced at all.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

That was painful, VP was even worse than last night. You don't do that badly in a dance off and survive she didn't.

As for Brucie, the deliberate naffness ran over into real naffness yesterday. He's still a good performer (they all have poor days) but the week without him was even better than those with.

Its time for Bruce to retire, before he gets any naffer, and we can remember the good performer that he is.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's happened to Brendan this series? He seems almost likeable! [Paranoid]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
What's happened to Brendan this series? He seems almost likeable! [Paranoid]

Well, I read that he's married and his wife is about to have a baby. Maybe that's got something to do with his transformation into Mr. Nice Guy.

Starting to ponder who might make it into the final; currently leaning towards Denise, Dani and Nicky.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just caught up with the last two weeks.

Kylie's number at Wembley cracked me up. Two big blokes in leather shorts holding hands, with Kylie stood in front of them. Best gay wedding ever...!

So glad Lisa is still in. The rhumba didn't suit her but she danced a competent rhumba with plenty of good basic steps, rather than the 'floating around in a pretty dress' nonsense you usually get on Strictly.

Nicky has finally woken up. Loved Karen's 'Josephine Baker' style in the charleston.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Yes, when I saw Kylie's male dancers, my immediate reaction was 'there's someone who knows her target audience'.
I think Denise and Dani will be in the final, with either Louis or Kimberley, though Kimberley's recent appearance in the bottom 2 might mean Louis gets the place instead.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I don't think Louis is improving enough to be a finalist, not a good year for the men, I can't see Michael getting much further, I think Nicky is the best bet for a male finalist, but that isn't saying much.

Shame there is no award for best entertainment. Lisa is walking that.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Nicky is going to have to learn to straighten his legs if he wants to be a finalist. His bent legs worked OK in the Charleston, but it depends on what he's dancing next as to whether it's going to be a problem again.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Two weeks on and his lega are still bent.

Kimberley gets a perfect four tens. Actually I preferred Dani but then the judges are looking from a different angle to the cameras. The standard in very high this year.

Lisa is still fun; I hope she stays to the final as she is the best entertainment on the show. Plus Bruce managed to pull off a joke. A first this season.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see Lisa making the final, much as she's excellent value.

Chez Snags our predictions (hopes in the first instance) are:

- Nicky out this week (yay! please!)*
- Lisa out next
- Louis not quite making the final unless
they feel they must have a chap
- no idea who'll win between Denise, Dani and Kimberley

*Sorry to any fans, but although he's upped his game on the dancing, he's still an irritating twat, and Karen double with bells on.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sleepwalker
Shipmate
# 15343

- Posted      Profile for Sleepwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:

Why not? He is a good dancer and seems to have cracked the performance element to his dancing. To do a rhumba/tango fusion is incredibly difficult, especially given that the rhumba is so fluid. For a bloke to dance with the level of grace Louis showed is amazing and his transition to tango was perfect. He keeps getting scored too low for what he is achieving IMO. I'm convinced he didn't get a 10 from Darcey this time because of the fuss made after his performance last week.

In previous series the judges have acknowledged that this comp is so much harder for the male celebs as they have to do all the leading and they don't have the flowing dresses and stunning steps that the women have to show off their abilities. He was third last night - should have been joint second IMO - and first last week.

I think the top three of last night are the real dancers and should be the couples left fighting it out.

Posts: 267 | From: somewhere other than here | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just don't feel any commitment to the dance coming from Louis. He works hard at getting the technique right, but still isn't bringing his face to the party.
Even his Charleston face looked like a mask he was wearing for the occasion, and I didn't see any improvement last night on earlier weeks.
He's animated enough when not dancing, so why not when he's on the floor?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I just don't feel any commitment to the dance comi
He's animated enough when not dancing, so why not when he's on the floor?

Concentration?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

It could also be that he's performing to the judges, they seem to like it, different camera angles and all that (see above). I have not noticed a camera behind the judges, so we don't get to see what they see.

It's a shame Dani is so short, long limbs help to emphasise the lines of the dance. To me she's the best dancer.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Originally posted by Sleepwalker:

quote:

Originally posted by Snags:

Why not?

I love watching him, and I think he's great, but for me he doesn't quite bring the emotion/characterisation to the same degree as the three best ladies do. Overall I tend to think that Dani, Denise and Kimberley are better/more consistent at the full package than Louis has managed. I actually feel for him, because the other three are basically in performance/character driven careers, whereas all of his professional training will be to keep it stony faced and neutral, so the bloke's got to come from way behind on that side of things.

I'll be sorry to see any of them go once Nicky is out, and the standard does seem to be very high this year.

And I should also point out that I am a complete non-dancer, and a total dance ignoramus. So the above is based on my impressions as a layman across the series, not on any actual technical assessment from a position of knowledge.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I think Louis will make the final. But it must be difficult for him, as said, his gymnastics training has taught him to remain unemotional when performing so he must be finding it difficult. It seems in real life he is relaxed and fun (his imitations were good on ITT) so perhaps what he needs to do is forget that he is performing.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Spoilers for those watching catch up

I'm pleased Denise made the dance off. Not because I want her to go out but so we get to see the dance without the wardrobe malfunction.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Ooh, I must catch up with who is out...

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Lots of debate on Digital Spy about who should have been in the dance off [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Just caught up with the show. A few thoughts:
Louis is hot!
Dani was absolutely wonderful! She looked stunning, it's good they've started dressing her properly and she's obviously lost weight too. my new favourite [Smile]
Lisa was stompy and needs to lift her legs more.

I'm hoping the final 4 will be Dani, Louis, Kimberley and Denise.
Off to watch the Results show.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016