homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Of yeast, malt, etc.- Any Shipmate brewers? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Of yeast, malt, etc.- Any Shipmate brewers?
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making up a batch of mead this weekend got me thinking- are any other Shipmates homebrewers/ winemakers/ meadmakers/ etc.? Brewed up anything wonderful lately?

[ 01. November 2012, 14:17: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not made homebrew for a while (I have a grapevine outside, here in the North of England, which produces such small fruit lacking in sugar that the resulting brew is almost a sugar-water cop out).

Talking of brewing with yeast plus sugary water, I have Polish friends for whom that is only the beginning...if you see what I'm getting at...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, I love brewing. I've done both full mash and extract with a partial mash.

I've not done any for a while, but I'll be doing a Christmas brew before too long.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
Talking of brewing with yeast plus sugary water, I have Polish friends for whom that is only the beginning...if you see what I'm getting at...

A pity it's illegal here, without a license and commercial facilities. ..

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Yep, I love brewing. I've done both full mash and extract with a partial mash.

I've not done any for a while, but I'll be doing a Christmas brew before too long.

I've not yet done the full mash, mostly extract so far. I'd like to start, though.

[ 30. October 2012, 13:45: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my second year making wine, both times with blackberries from my allotment. Last year's batch was pleasantly and surprisingly dry, and I've managed to keep one bottle to mature. I've still to rack off this year's (which I think I'll need to do in the next couple of weeks) and if it is OK all of it will be kept for a couple or three years.

Last year I planted a grape vine which was labelled as good for table & wine making. This year I had a small but welcome harvest which I made into about 2 cm of grape jelly, and when the crop is big enough I shall no doubt try making some wine with it.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
Making up a batch of mead this weekend got me thinking-

My only, very amateur, foray into boozemaking was a batch of mead some years ago (the recipe from a Dungeons & Dragons book: I'm sorry, I was young [Hot and Hormonal] ) which resulted in a dent in the ceiling and a brew so murky you could almost cut it into slices.
Happy days.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have five gallons of a brown ale with gingerbread spices ready to go into bottles this weekend for a beer exchange I am doing with 9 other local home brewers. (It was supposed to be the 12 beers of Christmas from "Radical Brewing" but we couldn't get anyone to try to turn around a sour beer in a few months, and the person doing the gruit chickened out.)

I also have two and a half gallons of Belgian pale ale going for my own consumption. I used the La Chouffe yeast on that one, and that yeast cake is likely to be used for a table blond, and then nice dark Belgian with caramelized raisins thrown in at the end of the boil.

Currently reading "Brew Like a Monk" and "Farmhouse Ales," and have a Belgian kick in mind. Future plans for this winter include some experiments with the De Koninck yeast strain, to be released on a limited time basis this week- maybe another Belgian pale ale, maybe a Biere de Guarde, or maybe a weird hybrid Scottish ale with fermentation done at the lower end to take advantage of the clean attributes of the yeast- that one I already named "L'isle Noire" after the Tintin comic. And hopefully a few batches of saison using the American Farmhouse strain from Whitelabs (a saison strain blended with some Brett for that nice, dry, barnyard, horse blanket goodness).

I obviously have a patient wife.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

Or a thirsty one?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:

I had a good friend in law school whose grandfather in law was a chemist from the Czech Republic. In his professional life, he had been employed by the government to do fairly interesting work, including apparently some research into lysergic acid diethylamide. All of that experience made him an expert distiller, and he kept his family well supplied. Late at night, the friend would break out bottles of the cleanest, smoothest tasting slivovitz in existence for our enjoyment. Astonishing stuff, and even if you ended up sleeping on his couch that night, you never woke up with a headache.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've not yet done the full mash, mostly extract so far. I'd like to start, though.

You can get great results with full mash as you have full control over the flavour and strength of the beer. The downside is it is very laborious and time consuming. You need to be very accurate with temperatures to ensure you get the result you want and need to set aside an entire day for brewing.

When I brew extract, I tend to use spraymalt rather than syrup. Although it's a bit more expensive, I find it gives a more full bodied flavour. I usually "mash" about 250g of Crystal malt in warm water for an hour or so as this also adds flavour and colour.

So, who here uses sugar when brewing?

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Depends if the kit asks for it...

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

KIT??!!! [Eek!]

Begone you heretick!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please Sir, I'm only a beginner!

I have made a total of 3 brews, with the 4th to start tomorrow hopefully, in time for Christmas!

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
Making up a batch of mead this weekend got me thinking-

My only, very amateur, foray into boozemaking was a batch of mead some years ago (the recipe from a Dungeons & Dragons book: I'm sorry, I was young [Hot and Hormonal] ) which resulted in a dent in the ceiling and a brew so murky you could almost cut it into slices.
Happy days.

One batch of ours had a bit more yeast still active than we suspected when we bottled it- the cork didn't push out of the bottle, the bottle just exploded. All over the basement.

The rest went in the fridge that day- a great (if unintentional) sparkling buckwheat mead...

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
You can get great results with full mash as you have full control over the flavour and strength of the beer. The downside is it is very laborious and time consuming. You need to be very accurate with temperatures to ensure you get the result you want and need to set aside an entire day for brewing.

I love the ability to tweak recipes, so I'm definitely going to need to get set up for this...

quote:

When I brew extract, I tend to use spraymalt rather than syrup. Although it's a bit more expensive, I find it gives a more full bodied flavour. I usually "mash" about 250g of Crystal malt in warm water for an hour or so as this also adds flavour and colour.

I'm not familiar with spraymalt. Or is that the same as dry extract?

quote:

A bit of lactose in a cream stout adds a bit of sweetness. Other than that, not generally.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
I'm not familiar with spraymalt. Or is that the same as dry extract?

It's in a powder form, so I suppose it's the same thing. It looks and tastes a bit like Horlicks!

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:

If it's good enough for the Trappists, it's good enough for me.

It of course depends on the brew. The current beers in my carboys will only get corn sugar for carbonation, but those saisons and the big Belgian I have on my to do list will definitely be getting a dose of sugar- I don't think I could get an extract beer dry enough without it.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:

Or a thirsty one?
The poor dear has celiac disease, so she can't drink normal beer. I have tried making beers from sorghum syrup, but they tend to have a nasty metallic aftertaste. There is a local brewery that makes a passable gluten free beer, and she mostly drinks vodka when thirsty, so most of the homebrew goes my way. Apparently in Sicily they make beers out of chestnuts, which are supposed to be close to barley beer, but they can be expensive. Maybe I'll give it another go if I can get my hands on some chestnuts.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a gluten-intolerant daughter who loves beer, and I have taught her how to brew. We made a gluten free ale of sorghum and buckwheat (which we malted outselves) and it was really quite tasty. We're going to be experimenting with some other grains soon. Straight sorghum beer is nasty, but using it as a base and adding other things for flavor can work.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
she mostly drinks vodka when thirsty,

For the sake of her liver, have you pointed out that it's also possible to drink water?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Water? Fish fuck in water!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Water? Fish fuck in water!

And it's not an ingredient of beer?
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Well, you do boil for a while. Remember that before there was readily available clean water, beer was your safest option.

It is rather interesting to me that the steps we take to get water safe make brewing good beer harder My first few batches were better than I expected, but still had a off taste that screamed "not commercial." I then had a beer judge point out that you need to remove the chlorine and chloromine from your water to avoid band-aid taste in your beer. Lesson learned, and I now use distilled water for boiling extract beer and use campden treated water for all other brewing related applications. You solve one problem, you create a new one.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on how chlorinated your local water is. Boiling does get rid of most chlorine (it's fairly volatile), but if you aren't fortunate enough to live in Portland, you may need to use bottled water. If I were using distilled, I'd probably want to add some calcium.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently straining off last years blackberry vodka and meribel plum vodka, signalling that it's about time to sample the batch of blackberry vodka and gin from the previous year. Mmmm
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

Blackberry vodka sounds wonderful.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Depends on how chlorinated your local water is. Boiling does get rid of most chlorine (it's fairly volatile), but if you aren't fortunate enough to live in Portland, you may need to use bottled water. If I were using distilled, I'd probably want to add some calcium.

Chloramine is tougher- it is less volatile than chlorine, which the water service likes, but it won't just boil off. That's when Campadin comes in handy- it will pull it right out. Denver has some of the best drinking water in the world, but it uses chloramine, so you can't just use it straight from the tap.

Distilled water works in an extract beer, because the minerals from the mash that the manufacturer did remain in the extract. They say you run a risk of a "double profile" if you use extract and your tap water, especially if you have hard water- you get the calcium from the Briess or Munton's water supply, and the calcium from yours.

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

We've had quite good luck with tap water here, though I've also used spring water from Glenwood (local bottler of spring water). Either works well with no off flavors my tongue can detect.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

I must get a batch of White House Honey Porter ready for Inauguration Day...

recipe

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Looks like a fine recipe, not far off from the Porter I brewed last winter, aside from the honey. I wouldn't rack a beer to secondary after five days, but to each his own.

My White Labs Antwerp Ale came in yesterday. This is the De Konink strain, so as I said above, I have Belgian pale ale on my horizon. It apparently gives you light, almost lager-like flavor if you keep it down at 66, but the brewers at De Konink apparently follow the typical Belgian practice of pitching it at 66 and then letting it climb into the 70s. Sounds like a great split batch experiment to me.

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Looks like a fine recipe, not far off from the Porter I brewed last winter, aside from the honey. I wouldn't rack a beer to secondary after five days, but to each his own.

My White Labs Antwerp Ale came in yesterday. This is the De Konink strain, so as I said above, I have Belgian pale ale on my horizon. It apparently gives you light, almost lager-like flavor if you keep it down at 66, but the brewers at De Konink apparently follow the typical Belgian practice of pitching it at 66 and then letting it climb into the 70s. Sounds like a great split batch experiment to me.

I might wait a bit to rack it as well, that seems awfully short to me.

The Antwerp Ale sounds like fun- and a great split batch test. Please keep us posted on how it turns out. Where did you order it from?

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

quote:
We've had quite good luck with tap water here, though I've also used spring water from Glenwood (local bottler of spring water). Either works well with no off flavors my tongue can detect.

Our Portland brewers all use the local tap water, and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

I've also been thinking about making the Honey Porter. We can all do it and compare notes.

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
The Antwerp Ale sounds like fun- and a great split batch test. Please keep us posted on how it turns out. Where did you order it from?

I just got it from the local homebrew store. I requested that they order one for me when it became available this month (it's a platinum strain, so it's only available for two months a year, unless demand causes them to make it a year round offering). That store does a fantastic job of keeping customers happy- they frequently provide free samples from their keg, they are responsive to requests, and the prices are reasonable.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is something I definitely want to get into. I'm still reading books and articles. I'm hoping to dip my big toe in sometime this winter or spring.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
I'm hoping to dip my big toe in sometime this winter or spring.

That improves the flavour, does it?
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Anyone ever intentionally add wild yeast to a beer?

I frequently have two carboys going at a time, and while I play around with the De Koninck yeast in one, I have plans for a few brews using the la Chouffe yeast in the other. I was thinking that it might be interesting to rack off a gallon of those beers into a cider jug that I have sitting around, pitch the dregs of a bottle of Orval or Rayon Vert (a beer from San Diego that also uses wild yeast in the bottling process), and then store it for a month or two before bottling in sparkling wine bottles and aging. I got the idea from an Orval clone recipe (apparently two bottles worth of dregs is all you need for a full five gallons, so yeast cell count wouldn't be a huge concern), and it seems like it might render some interesting results.

Any experience here?

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyone ever intentionally add wild yeast to a beer?

I frequently have two carboys going at a time, and while I play around with the De Koninck yeast in one, I have plans for a few brews using the la Chouffe yeast in the other. I was thinking that it might be interesting to rack off a gallon of those beers into a cider jug that I have sitting around, pitch the dregs of a bottle of Orval or Rayon Vert (a beer from San Diego that also uses wild yeast in the bottling process), and then store it for a month or two before bottling in sparkling wine bottles and aging. I got the idea from an Orval clone recipe (apparently two bottles worth of dregs is all you need for a full five gallons, so yeast cell count wouldn't be a huge concern), and it seems like it might render some interesting results.

Any experience here?

No firsthand, intentional experience (how have I avoided posting on this thread so long?), but lots secondhand, and a bit unintentionally. The first thing is that most wild "yeasts" have more than just yeast—know exactly what's in the bottom of your bottle before you pitch it or make up a starter; oftentimes, that little sour tang is caused by introduced bacteria. While this would be a much bigger problem if you were using, say, a bottle of Cantillion lambic (good Lord, that stuff tastes like a delicious combination of battery acid and a horse blanket), you might want to find out exactly what's in those dregs before you use it. If it's a high bacteria culture (like you would use for a lambic), you're going to want to ferment either in glass, or a dedicated plastic/wood container, since anything that's even mildly porous or permeable is never going to be sanitary again after that stuff.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Yes, the glass cider jug is going to be dedicated to this purpose. I will probably end up buying a dedicated small auto siphon and hosing as well for bottling. My goal (so far) is not to end up with a sour beer, so I am being pretty careful with my dreg selection.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting factoid: if you freeze an alcoholic drink, the water tends to freeze first and the alcohol second.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

That is true, as far as my high school chemistry imagination is concerned. It is apparently a little more complicated than that (the alcohol and the water are mixed together well enough so that they don't split perfectly). Traditional American Applejack is made by freeze distilling hard cider, although you supposedly end up with alcohols that are usually removed in heat distillation, which can cause nasty headaches. There is also a German style of Bock beer called Eisbock, which you make by first brewing a Doppelbock, and then freezing and removing some of the water to concentrate the alcohol and flavors.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks as if a little bit of a simmer, to kill off any germs, you know, would remove any methanol, bpt 65C, but I bet a lot of flavenoids would boil off too, leaving ethanol bpt 78.37C and water.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

You are obviously more of a chemist than I. Really, that is half of the fun of homebrewing for me- I was an English major, I went to law school, and I never really applied myself in math or science classes. This is my chance to go back and learn something about math and biochemistry.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freeze distillation is an art form, one not done lightly—and, if you buy applejack in the stores (usually from Larid), it's both very traditional and pot-distilled. I've tried making homemade freezer applejack before using a homebrewed cider; I was neither patient nor foolhardy enough to concentrate it that much, so I can't attest to the effects of extra "heads" and "tails" left over from not doing proper distilling.

And, while Eisbock is great stuff, we can't forget the infamous Tactical Nuclear Penguin and no longer available Sink the Bismark!, both made using freeze distillation. I think a component of Sam Adams's Utopias is freeze distilled as well, though other parts aren't.

[ 10. November 2012, 22:29: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I was chatting to the brewer at Traquair House about Tactical Nuclear Penguin once. He thought it was awful.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{tangent alert}

A friend who spent a year in Antarctica told me that canned beer can be frozen and thawed without affecting the taste. If you pour it into a glass, there will be streaks in it, but if you drink it from the can you won't notice any difference.

When my husband and I used to go camping, I would cook food beforehand and put it in a cooler with many cans of frozen beer on top. After three or four days the beer would be thawed but still cold. Our camping trips lasted about a week, so this worked out fine.

WARNING: If you suspect the beer may still be partially frozen, point the can away from you when you open it.

{/tangent alert}

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I was chatting to the brewer at Traquair House about Tactical Nuclear Penguin once. He thought it was awful.

I'll be honest, the best thing about TNP is being able to say I've had TNP. All those higher alcohols you get in really strong beer that make it taste . . . well, for lack of a better word, bad? Those get concentrated. Some brewers (Belgian monks) manage to cover over/minimize those flavors, but in a Scotch ale, they're part of the style, in small quantities; in TNP, they're the biggest thing you taste.

There's a reason I was hitting the Scotch egg and salmon they served with it.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
{tangent alert}

A friend who spent a year in Antarctica told me that canned beer can be frozen and thawed without affecting the taste. If you pour it into a glass, there will be streaks in it, but if you drink it from the can you won't notice any difference.

I can believe that as canned beer tastes pretty vile anyway.

[ 12. November 2012, 08:11: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't do home-brewing, but my brother-in-law did before he had kids and became a tenure-track full-time college instructor.

I do support our local microbreweries: the last twelve-pack I bought included four varieties. The IPA was good and so was the dark ale. The Hefeweisen was unpalatable and Zeke hated it. As I was already three sheets to the wind I finished her glass. The fourth variety was a Belgian white and was insipid but not awful. Currently I have a quart of adequate mass-produced light beer which is OK with meals but not my first choice for consumption during the cocktail hour!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

That's something that surprised me when I first started homebrewing- I don't buy less beer, really, but I buy *better* beer. We're fortunate to have a ton of local microbreweries here that produce some great stuff; keeps a guy inspired...

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Yeah, the highest alcohol beer contest always struck me as a little silly. I can better appreciate the technical challenge after getting into brewing, but when you reach the point that flavor is sacrificed, it seems like you are missing the point of brewing.

And yes, I also tend to buy "better" beer more often than I used to. Especially at restaurants, where I am more likely to drink beer than wine if the restaurant's selection is decent.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016