homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What did you do while the Ship went down?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What did you do while the Ship went down?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Created doggerel to mark the occasion, while chatting in the café

The ship went down, one cold dark night
When Kelly took her axe to fix the board
She meant to do a gentle tweak so slight
But her great blunt axe was far too broad

Her gentle tweak made a drastic change
Shut down the boards for hours and hours
Stopped all Shipmates from further challenge
But also stopped all hostly powers

Sorry forgot to say, that's to the tune of O Waly Waly

[ 04. November 2012, 21:49: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went and taught a Bible study at church. Turned out to be a great discussion, too, about what we can do in our community to serve others.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kept hitting refresh.

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Downton Abbey. Last one in the series.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ruudy:
Kept hitting refresh.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was probably asleep/ We keep different hours in this part of the world.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It said 'closed for maintenance' so I imagined Kelly scrubbing the bilges.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cripes, it was only off for a few minutes. How would you have coped when it was off for days?!

Being the good host that I am, I was half-way through checking the Circus posts when Cthulhu ate the Ship (thank God he vomited it back out again, finding it completely indigestible), so I reacted as anyone would when unexpectedly let off work for an hour or so - let out a big WOOHOO! and waltzed off to rediscover what this strange thing called 'Real Life' was....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have news for you. This computer is addicted to ship of fools and refused to connect to the internet while the Ship was down. My other one worked just fine!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Cripes, it was only off for a few minutes. How would you have coped when it was off for days?!

Being the good host that I am, I was half-way through checking the Circus posts when Cthulhu ate the Ship (thank God he vomited it back out again, finding it completely indigestible), so I reacted as anyone would when unexpectedly let off work for an hour or so - let out a big WOOHOO! and waltzed off to rediscover what this strange thing called 'Real Life' was....

It was about 45 minutes! Do not minimize the pain of the addict!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a book. It was weird. There were pieces of paper, all bound up together. They had words on. It didn't have a keyboard. I guess it was a bit like using a Kindle, only fatter and heavier, and without a search facility.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shrugged and went off to make a large pot of rice. When I remembered to come back in, it was there.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like (but not with) Huia, I slept. Gotta love the antipodes.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Wanna know what-the-hell I was doing? I was frantically chatting with Spike as to how to undo the stupid thing I had done, which I will spare you.

I need to have pease on my speed dial.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I browsed polling data on UK Polling Report.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Wanna know what-the-hell I was doing? I was frantically chatting with Spike as to how to undo the stupid thing I had done, which I will spare you.

I need to have pease on my speed dial.

Poor Kelly! [Killing me] [Tear] [Axe murder]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I shrugged and went off to make a large pot of rice. When I remembered to come back in, it was there.

Denial. Or abreaction.

Of course I didn't notice. Really. And no I can't explain why my nails seem a bit shorter now.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Played my ukelele, of course, like Captain Brown of the Nancy Lee.

Reminds me of Julian and Sandy telling Kenneth Horne of their experiences in a sinking ship:

KH: Did you manage to drag yourselves up on deck?
J&S: No dear, there wasn't time, so we just went casual, sweater and jeans.

[ 05. November 2012, 14:51: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched a DVD of Paranormal Activity.

That may seem dire, but the alternative would have been the TV, which is littered to a sickening degree with political drivel. Like, 24 hours a day... [Frown]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to bed. Which is what I should have been doing anyway if I hadn't been tempted to a little look at the boards... So at least I benefited from an early-ish night.
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Scarlet:
I watched a DVD of Paranormal Activity.

Seems like it would be a really good substitute. The ship equivalent of methadone. [Big Grin]

Oh I also was chatting in the cafe, where several other people besides Curiosity Killed composed folk songs in honor of the event. Hopefully they can be nagged into coughing them up.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I missed it completely. if my time calculations are correct, I was bossing around a bunch of lazy actors and making them do scenes over and over and over...

DO IT AGAIN! Only this time, don't suck!

they can't help but love me... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, the song "The Reuben James" about a US convoy boat that was torpedoes in WWII comes to mind.

Tell me what was your thread, did you have a thread on the good Ship of Fools.
Tell me What did you did instead when you lost your thread on the good Ship of Fools

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone go down with the Ship?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
For some reason, the song "The Reuben James" about a US convoy boat that was torpedoes in WWII comes to mind.

I had Woody Guthrie in my head as well -

It was sad when that great ship went down
The cold ocean floor will now be their home

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the Ship go down for a while? [Confused] [Biased]

Nen - a bit busy with life at present. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember a prominent millionaire, don't know who now, was seen standing smoking on the first class deck as the Titanic went down...

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did not notice. Does this mean I have a Real Life'? (TM)

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It never occurred to me that the cafe might still be going when the boards were down.

Fond memories of the liferaft the time the ship was down for aaaaaages....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I had logged in before hand.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Fond memories of the liferaft the time the ship was down for aaaaaages....

I was trying to find that fun thread we had about "What I did while the Ship was in drydock", or whatever it was really called! Good times!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It went down?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Like a toothless-- yeah, it went down the other day, for about a half hour or so.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I had logged in before hand.

Of course you did, so you could chortle with glee as the rest futilely attempted to access the ship.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OH, God, no I was mortified. And everyone there was laughing at me. I mean, really laughing at me. Mercilessly. Smug bastards. [Waterworks]

(The folk song thing was my idea, though. ) [Big Grin]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you think we wrote the doggerel? There was a lot more from other people in there. Riffs on D'ye ken John Peel? and a few other folk tunes. Mine only survived because I wrote it in gedit, the café 255 characters window being not wonderful for playing around.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Doublethink wrote a great "Tom Dooley" parody...

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016