homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » People may find your things strange.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: People may find your things strange.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over on the Prayers of the Faithful, thread people request prayers using their ship names. I keep a prayer list in a small book that I use while saying the daily office. Should someone find my small book they would see such things as Bill for healing, and Helen for safe travels, but they would also run across some rather strange names such as Graven Image for support as she looks for a job. Now I know that our dear Lord has this all sorted out but I wonder what someone else might think. Do any of you have anything that makes perfect since to you, but would prove a puzzlement to others?
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right now, I have multiple five gallon buckets filled with bottle caps. I'm saving them for a special project but if you didn't know that, you might just think I have some serious issues. I also have several coffee cans filled with the little tabs from the tops of soda/beer cans. Those I save for someone else, but again it still looks strange.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A collection of fluff on one of our bookshelves - it's cat fluff from our British shorthair. When she moults, boy does she moult, and I keep meaning to try and felt the fluff into something decorative.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often think that if I ever get raided by the police, they'll take one look at my bookshelves and DVD collection, lock me up and throw away the key. [Biased]

I also have little bundles of old nylon guitar strings. They look really useful, but are probably not. I've just seen some tiny animal sculptures made from thin wire, and might have a try at making those.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
theater props. There's a rubber chicken in my kitchen. assorted fake weaponry mixed in with my collection of real weaponry. a rubber skull (life sized) on a shelf. a bright pink dog collar hanging above my desk with a dog toy just beneath it (that the dogs do NOT get to play with, those are mine!). a vase with a false bottom. a bunch of bottles with odd potions labeled on them. two giant bins of costumes and a few masks. a whole wall of costume hats - witch, tricorn, fez, russian beaver hat, sombrero, much much more...

add all that clutter to my book problem, camel statues, and globes hanging from the ceiling, and it might look a little odd to the wrong people.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when we were cleaning out my late great-aunt's house. People kept going, "Why was she keeping this???" I'd bet much of it just wasn't sorted through/thrown away yet.

I think of that often - what people would think going through my stuff if I died (yeah, I'm morbid like that), but it's not enough to make me keep my place neat & organized.

Right now, someone would find a huge box in my apartment full of electronics recycling I keep not managing to get hauled away. Since some of that waste is disassembled (2 computers in particular - I wanted to remove the hard drives), it would probably strike someone as something I had intentionally saved or collected. For some art project? For scrap metals? (Then why did she keep the plastic casing?...)

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
theater props. There's a rubber chicken in my kitchen... a rubber skull (life sized) on a shelf.
... it might look a little odd to the wrong people.

Everyone has skeletons don't they? [Biased] I have a number of them, including a paper skull, all that's left from a life-size paper skellie (Bob, since you ask). When leaving university my Dad brought me home with my gear in the car; I had to sit with the full skeleton on my knee praying not to get stopped on the way.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In college I had a lawn sprinkler on my wall. I suppose it's around somewhere...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Everyone has skeletons don't they?

A baboon skull and a monkey skull ... inherited when my older brother left home for university, I took over his room and the skulls came with it.

[Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a 43-year-old Plymouth convertible on my back patio; it has been there for about 25 years. I taught my wife how to drive in it on our honeymoon. I bought it in 1977. It is light-years too expensive to restore it, so I think I'll advertise it as a parts car in January and try to get rid of it along with some unused building materials.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a few animal skulls (but then, I was once an archaeologist). I also have a random selection of human bones at the top of my wardrobe - I think they were once part of a skeleton for an anatomy class, but I'd rather like to dispose of them, and I can't just throw them in the bin!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking I don't have too many strange things other than an inordinate number of books. Then I noticed the Klein bottle and the railroad lantern on the mantel.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People might possibly wonder about my (working) collection of music books. Some of them exist in several different versions, by various publishers, because of the differences in engraving. For instance, the Schirmer editions of both books of 'The Well Tempered Clavichord' never get played anymore, but the Kalmus editions are played frequently.

Yes, I have been asked why! Several times. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have 7 sewing machines, a large Argon ion laser in the loft and an x-ray box. I'm a part-time seamstress and my other half is a quantum physicist, so not unreasonable.
More intriguing might be that I spent at least 7 years visiting forums whilst using the username puddlepants : ) That used to raise a few eyebrows.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have plenty of space - and fill it! I currently have a collection of empty bottles some of which have had the bottoms cut off. A second microwave for my mini kiln, and a broken vase. The bottles are part of my experiments with fusing recycled glass, the vase though is there because you never know when a prop about brokenness may come in useful...

And that's not including the eggboxes and other assorted things I claim to keep for children's craft (even if they have been there for 2-3 years so far...)

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
I have plenty of space - and fill it! I currently have a collection of empty bottles some of which have had the bottoms cut off. A second microwave for my mini kiln, and a broken vase. The bottles are part of my experiments with fusing recycled glass, the vase though is there because you never know when a prop about brokenness may come in useful...

And that's not including the eggboxes and other assorted things I claim to keep for children's craft (even if they have been there for 2-3 years so far...)

I have collection of empty bottles too, for slumping in my small craft kiln ( I also have a microwave kiln which I use for jewellery).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent....

What kiln do you use for slumping? I am currently looking at getting one but the size I can stretch to would not be enough for full size wine bottles....

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I've only got a little sc2 so can only do small bottles and jars - cue me buying miniature bottles of wine [Smile] So I can do recycled spoon rests but not serving trays/cheese boards. Mostly I do jewellery, candle holders, bowls etc. I've only had it a few months. I still use the microwave kiln for some jewellery as it has instant results.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Books. There are books everywhere.

Some one asked me if I was a teacher- he could not imagine why anyone would have all these books without a reason. And to be fair to him. only one bookshelf has fiction. All the others, in my study, living room, bedroom, landing and kitchen are non fiction.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a collection of memorabilia from the 1851 Great Exhibition, but most of my junk is unidentifiable - a legacy from ebay, where my favourite search terms are "unknown" and "mystery item".

I briefly owned a "leather" bottle, fashioned from a scrotum, but I felt this would better enhance my father's collection.

My long-suffering wife is generally understanding, but drew the line at an elephant's foot umbrella stand, a cast-iron tortoise spittoon, and an eighteenth century prosthetic arm....complete with rusting hook. There's no accounting for taste - or (in her case) the lack of it.

Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder:
Books. There are books everywhere.

Some one asked me if I was a teacher- he could not imagine why anyone would have all these books without a reason. And to be fair to him. only one bookshelf has fiction. All the others, in my study, living room, bedroom, landing and kitchen are non fiction.

But this is supposed to be about strange things! There's nothing strange about lots of books!

What I can never comprehend is a home with one bookcase -- most of which contains knick-knacks instead of books. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Weeder:
[qb] Books. There are books everywhere.

What I can never comprehend is a home with one bookcase -- most of which contains knick-knacks instead of books. [Disappointed]

I once attended a party at the house of a couple in my volleyball group. Being the unsocial person, after a while I wanted to browse their books. Careful and tactful search showed they had a bible and the newspaper as the only reading matter in the house. I recall breaking out in a cold sweat on discovering this.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
But this is supposed to be about strange things! There's nothing strange about lots of books!

Or, just as bad, arranged by colour (blue in the dining room, green in the hall, any other colour not welcome), with knick-knacks arranged along the edge in front of the books, so that the books are completely inaccessible without dismantling everything. My mother-in-law, in case you were wondering.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:

....a cast-iron tortoise spittoon ......

One of these on Antiques Road Show last month. Ł4k

Fly Safe Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last time we moved house, one of the removal men said "Why have you got all these boxes marked Books? Are you an accountant?" I said "No, they're books to read". He said "Blimey! Hear that, Bill? they're ordinary reading books!" and Bill said "Blimey!"
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
Last time we moved house, one of the removal men said "Why have you got all these boxes marked Books? Are you an accountant?" I said "No, they're books to read". He said "Blimey! Hear that, Bill? they're ordinary reading books!" and Bill said "Blimey!"

Some years ago, when bf and I were moving from respective flats to new house, the removal men came for my stuff first, because I had the teensy 2 room place one flight up - whereas flat no 2 was both large and at the top of 90 stairs.

'Look at all them books!' they said when they saw my shelves. Oh dear, I thought. Oh dear. Oh dear.

[ 20. November 2012, 13:23: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two of my dearest friends have two bookcases. One holds an ancient encyclopaedia. The other hold a small assortment of books about cats, and cat ornaments. Whenever I visit, I bring an assortment of books to read. I can deal with no computer, but not with no books.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Unda Maris
Shipmate
# 4983

- Posted      Profile for Unda Maris   Email Unda Maris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to skeletons (of course), I once heard someone who had to transport a skeleton across town and wanted to carry it as a motorbike pillion. To turn a few heads, I suppose.

They couldn't do it, though, as they couldn't find a crash helmet to fit!

--------------------
Competence costs extra!

Posts: 66 | From: Solihull - the centre of England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once here in Mozambique, a friend asked me to take a full-sized dress-doll with me when I was driving to another city. The doll wasn't exactly in one piece anymore, so there were various loose limbs in the back of my pick-up truck.

Normally in this country, the police puts up many road blocks where they want to search the contents of your car. This time, I so wanted that they'd look in the back. But alas, they didn't [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a great thread. I am quite a horder too.

I justify it by calling stuff found objects !

I am a sucker for anything interesting or strangely facinating.

I have a number of teapots and all kinds of stones and bark.

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Rhythm Methodist said

quote:
most of my junk is unidentifiable - a legacy from ebay, where my favourite search terms are "unknown" and "mystery item".
Ooooh, you bad man. That's planted a seed in me which didn't need planting.

I love old shite, especially value-less old shite. I go right off things which later turn out to be 'collectible'. But around here, people sometimes do me the favour of stealing such items, like my petrol pump.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When people come into our living room the first thing they notice is the books over flowing, the second thing is the teapots on every available surface and then, once they sit down their eyes wander to the plant pot full of tea strainers sat on the fireplace opposite the copper bucket.

Why, they ask, would anyone want or need 30 odd plastic tea strainers from the asda smart price range.

To go with all the teapots of course.

This generally bemuses them until I explain that we have a huge collection of china for our wedding in May.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Less easy to explain is my collection of stones with holes in.

Visitors seize instead with relief upon the sight of the neat row of Devon Buses, or the groups of little pottery houses. At least those are normal.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

You mean there are people who don't collect stones with holes in them? Shame on them.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have 68 old cameras (OK, 67 plus a new one, plus the crap one on my phone).

I also have a collection of coffin furniture and two photos of Edwardian funerals.

For some reason, one starts more conversations than the other...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We call them bricks [Razz]

To be collectable stones, especially pebbles, have to have a marbling pattern to them. And small. Except for the ones which are flat enough for skimming, as these are always skimmed, no matter how beautiful the patterning.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a large collection of assorted wine-bottle corks on my kitchen counter. I plan to make a hotpad out of some of them. They need to be decanted into a large bucket so we can do more sophisticated cooking.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I have a large collection of assorted wine-bottle corks on my kitchen counter. I plan to make a hotpad out of some of them. They need to be decanted into a large bucket so we can do more sophisticated cooking.

My wife and I kept a champagne cork (or Cava when we were poorer) for each wedding anniversary in a special box. It filled up after about 20 years so it was divorce or dump the corks. We're still married.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Did they have holes in them before you collected them?

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife disposes of anything and everything in her periodic Angel of Destruction moods.

Last week she informed me she had disposed of “those old roots in peat moss” in my workshop. “They are called dahlias” I told her.

Nothing is safe chez nous.

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

My wife and I kept a champagne cork (or Cava when we were poorer) for each wedding anniversary in a special box. It filled up after about 20 years so it was divorce or dump the corks. We're still married.
My family uses the corks from celebratory bubbles and each member there writes a prediction. eg birthdate if there is a pregnancy, exam marks or whatever suits the occasion. We do this only for the bigger occasions so not too many corks. Minor birthdays etc are marked but corks are pitched.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a shelf covered in balls of wax. Everytime I get a nice waxed cheese or descnd to the level of eating mini-babybels I roll the wax into a ball and roll the balls together until they are in the golf-tennis ball size. I then inscribe the rolling date on them and place themon the shelf.

Apart, that is, for the browny-yellow one. That was from a competition I had with my drinking buddies to create the largest ball of earwax (inspired by Father Ted). I kept going after the weigh-in with mine and now I have seven years of my earwax in one fist-sized lump.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:

now I have seven years of my earwax in one fist-sized lump.

Waaaaay TMI.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester
Ooooh, you bad man. That's planted a seed in me which didn't need planting.

I love old shite, especially value-less old shite. I go right off things which later turn out to be 'collectible'.

It took me years to come to terms with the fact that my tastes extended way past traditional antiques, and into the realms of "value-less old shite" - as you so aptly put it. I find beauty in strange places, and I'm sometimes even moved by objects which saner people would not afford a second glance.

The current love of my life is an old explosives chest - a crusty old Victorian thing made of steel banded, 2 inch thick wood....immensely heavy. Having finally got it home, I was overwhelmed by the compulsion to see if I could fit inside and close the lid. I later phoned my father to tell him of my acquisition of this incredible artefact. He interrupted me with, "Can you fit inside it, son?" It seems
there may be an hereditary problem!

Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Machine Elf:
quote:

Did they have holes in them before you collected them?
Yes. That is why I collected them. (rather like why you buy Polos, not just any old mints)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One does?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016