homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 20th / 21st century 'classical' music (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 20th / 21st century 'classical' music
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be one of those charming tweedy fuddy-duddies who thought that "proper" music more or less died with Mahler and that, after him, the concert-going public were conned into listening to stuff that could have been composed by taking a small chamber orchestra and pushing them down a flight of stairs.

Obviously there were exceptions - usually composers who weren't "real" 20th century composers, like Strauss and Rachmaninov. But normally if a modernish piece turned up on a concert programme, it was there to be endured until we got to the Beethoven.

But in the last few years I've been listening to more and more 20th century music, and I wondered if we might swap some opinions, reviews, and recommendations? And of course, we can argue about who counts as 20th/21st century - I'd put Mahler on one side of the divide, for instance, but Bartok the other, even though their careers overlapped.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Hindemith piano sonatas are eminently listenable, especially Glenn Gould's recording thereof.

I also like Samuel Barber.

And of course there's Ralph Vaughan Williams.

[edited to add]: Oh, and Aaron Copland.

[ 22. November 2012, 23:32: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stravinsky. Always one to draw crowds to the concert hall. Even his 12 tone phase sounds like real music.

Currently listening to Philip Glass's solo piano pieces Metamorphosis. Number 2 is particularly stunning.

And then there's Gershwin's Porgy and Bess as interpreted by Miles Davis, though whether this counts as "classical" is moot. But then I like it where different genres of music collide.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
The Hindemith piano sonatas are eminently listenable, especially Glenn Gould's recording thereof.

I also like Samuel Barber.

And of course there's Ralph Vaughan Williams.

[edited to add]: Oh, and Aaron Copland.

Ditto Barber. I heard his song "Mary Hynes" sung by a small choir a good 35 years ago and was gobsmacked. I have never forgotten that song and the line 'she is a rune'.

Ditto RVW and Copland.

I am very fond of the operas by John Adams, particularly "Doctor Atomic" (go to YouTube and find the aria entitled 'Batter My Heart, Three Person'd God' from "Doctor Atomic" and be knocked out.) He also wrote an extremely moving piece called "On the transmigration of souls" about 9/11.

"Neruda Songs" by Peter Lieberson and sung by his wife Lorraine Hunt Lieberson ... absolutely exquisite. It is beyond sad that both of these brilliant musicians died so young.

Henryk Gorecki's 'Symphony No. 3' with vocals by Dawn Upshaw is haunting, tragic, and stunning.

The opera "Dialogues of the Carmelites" by Poulenc is wonderful.

I could go on. Very fine classical music was written in the 20th century and I am sure it will continue.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mahler's an ancestor of the 20th Century—it's a half-step from him to Schoenberg, another half to his student Berg, a slide to the left to Webern, and, well, you're at serialism then.

Actually, let's start with Webern. Six Bagatelles for String Quartet has more music in four minutes than you'd find in a whole Wagner opera, and, if you have any affinity for the 'cello at all, you owe it to yourself to spend the ten minutes it'll take to hear his Three Little Pieces thrice over. There's not another composer who knows how to use tone color like Webern, and 'celli have such a diverse range here that someone who brings timbre to the forefront, rather than letting it be a side element of orchestration—well, it shows off the instrument incredibly well.

Next up: Iannis Xenakis. Do I like his 'cello pieces? Am I predictable much? Is this rundown going to have much of a theme to it? Are bears Catholic? Does the Pope even go out in the woods? While some of Xenakis's other pieces and orchestral works, especially his musique concrète/architectural works are better known, Kottos and Nomos Alpha are amazing works for the contemporary 'cellist—look them up on YouTube so you can watch Rohan de Seram be awesome; he makes it sound easy, but watch what he's doing with his hands. He's good.

Backing off a bit: Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Terry Rieley, and John Adams. American Minimalism—which is a term none of the four likes applied to their music, but realizes that it's how the classifiers class them. While orfeo's a philistine with no taste, I think Glass is pretty good, if a bit . . . overexposed . . . at the moment (I hate to break it to you hipsters, but Glass was popular before I was even born—so no, not even I was listening to him before he was popular, just before he was cool); try his string quartets on for size, or his film scores. The Qatsi trilogy is especially famous; part the last features Yo-Yo Ma. Reich started off with tape loops and stepwise phasing (Clapping Music is especially fun to see live), but, later in life, started working in more complex and layered orchestral forms. Rieley, of course, did In C, which is the minimalist manifesto, and a great way to be sadistic if you're a performer. Nowadays, he's an old hippie who grabs his odd little orchestra and sings about how much he likes to smoke cannabis. Finally, Adams; if you like long, hypnotic, slowly changing, and generally tonal, he's the man for you. Also witty, especially in his more recent (and shorter) work; there's something just happy about John's Book of Alleged Dances.

Back to occasional WTF territory: Kronos Quartet. No, they don't compose, but they work with everyone who does. Emphasis on the "everyone." They've worked with everyone from Philip Glass to Indian pop singers to Bulgarian folk artists to everyone who will be mentioned on this thread to Trent Reznor. Grab Black Angels, crank up the volume, and let your ears rejoice. They'll never be the same again after that opening, "Flight of the Electric Insects."

And finally to "so normalish (but good!), I'm surprised nobody's raved about him yet" territory: Arvo Pärt. There are many things to say, I'm sure someone else will say them, but Kanon Pokajanen may be the most important one.

Oh, and just as a PS: Frank Zappa. His classical works got overshadowed by the pop and the inspired weirdness, but they're very . . . Zappa. You know what I mean.

[ 23. November 2012, 02:47: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wondered if you'd get to Zappa in that list.

I like Arvo Part, but he reminds me of Penguin Cafe Orchestra - those same varying repetitions.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dotting back a bit, there's the under-appreciated George Lloyd (though I'm glad to see he now has his own Society).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooooooh, too much interesting stuff to list. I used to think that music ended with Wagner and that everything after that was a type of regurgitation of his themes and ideas, and to some extent I still believe that, but some of it is glorious.

Britten is both playful and clever. Some of his music is hard on the ear, but I've found the more you listen with care, the more your ear becomes attuned to what he is actually doing and he produced some truly beautiful music.

Glass is good, but I often her too much Wagner in him and more recently he's tread a fine line of self parody and self plagerism.

Jennifer Higdon's City Scapes and Concerto for Orchestra is worth a listen. A curious set of works in a somewhat traditional style on first listen, but rewarding with further listens.

A few people have mentioned Steve Reich, and while I think he is very good, much of his music really must be experienced live. It's a form of musical theatre that can have a truly profound physical effect that can be a little alarming at times.

George Crumb - daring, mad, insane, impossible to listen too. If you want real boundary pushing stuff that doesn't sound like random notes thrown on a page, this is it.

Three more American's worth a listen: Michael Torke (jazz influenced), Michael Gordon (pulsing maddness and white noise player) and Graham Fitkin (strong rhythmic influence)

Michael Nyman - horribly overlooked because of his 'sell-out' to the soundtrack business, but essentially revived an interest in english modern music with his good early works

Anthony Kernis' Symphony in Waves has to be one of the finest and most melodic symphony's written in the 20th century, in an age when symphony's are becoming passe.

Langlais - if you want apocalyptic horror and beauty intertwined on an organ, this is your man.

I think I better stop

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Grammy Award-winning Phoenix Chorale does a lot of Ola Gjeilo's music. Their recording of his "Northern Lights" is amazing. (He worked so closely with the Chorale that he wound up marrying a member of it last spring!)

This summer at the Three Choirs Festival in Hereford, we heard compositions by Dobrinka Tabakova both in concert and at the Evensong which was broadcast by the BBC. Amazing stuff.

And Hilda of Whitby, I also heard John Adams' "On the transmigration of souls" at last year's Three Choirs. It's a moving piece, made more so for this American sitting in an English Cathedral, surrounded by a mostly English audience, and feeling such a sense of sympathy for the tragedy of 9/11.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm partial to a bit of Holst and Sibelius, and some Stravinsky and Part. There's quite alot of 20th/21st music that has to be listened to more than once to 'get your ear in'.

My mother (who loves classical music, but prefers a bit of a tune) has a theory that some of the more atonal stuff (I'm looking at you, Mr Birtwhistle) would make good soundtrack music; that it's more easily understood with visuals. I don't know how true that is for anyone else.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Philip Glass's solo piano pieces Metamorphosis. Number 2 is particularly stunning.

Oooh! I don't know his piano music. Thanks for mentioning it. I like his organ works, especially "Mad Rush".

quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
Henryk Gorecki's 'Symphony No. 3'

And his Miserere for large choir a cappella. I'd like to sing it before I die.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one's mentioned Karl Jenkins (The Armed Man, diemus, Palladio) or Einaudi. Or, for that matter, John Williams, who has written some fantastic music. I love "Jurassic Park", it's really lyrical in places.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah! cross-post! Probably Jenkins' best-known piece is the Allegretto from Palladio, but his music is quite varied. I haven't explored as much of it as I'd like but there are some interesting requiems, other sacred music, and some pieces you might well recognize from elsewhere.

The "Adiemus" collection of choral music is sung in an invented language, the idea being that you focus on the music and emotions rather than a clearly defined verbal expression; some of the pieces sound a bit Enya-ish, IMO. I think he's worth exploring further, but YMMV.

[ 23. November 2012, 17:58: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Langlais - if you want apocalyptic horror and beauty intertwined on an organ, this is your man.

See also Olivier Messiaen. My church is blessed with an organist talented enough to play the 20th century French masters, and while they are usually a bit out there, I always stay in my seat when I see them on the program.

Messiaen's Apparition de L'Eglise Eternelle might be one of the best things ever written.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there's a difference between music you only here on radio/disc and a live performance. I originally heard Lutaslowski's Kadesh for Bartok on the radio and thought it unbearable. A few years later, I heard a live performance at a concert, found it very moving, and enjoyed it. The same with others of that school.

Part has written some very good music and we much prefer him to Messiaen. Copland, Bartok himself, Britten, Sculthorpe, and a whole range of others have written music we like very much. We don't like the minimalists, and think that they and the atonal school are better left as background or film scores. Ravel is (mostly) magnificent, especially the String Quartet. Stravinsky is outstanding. Otherwise, French music for many years has been out on its own limb and best left there. Rachmaninov's music was described in a play we saw as schlag mit schlagobers * but at least you can hear what's in it.

About a year ago, our ABC, the national broadcaster, took votes for the top favourites of the 20th century. Surprise, surprise, the names I've mentioned featured well, and there were no votes at all for composers favoured in a concurrent programme run by an academic....

*whipped cream with whipped cream on top

[ 24. November 2012, 01:05: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I became quite taken by Gerald Finzi when one of my friends performed his Eclogue for Piano and Strings in a concert a few years ago.

It's hard for me to get out of my comfort zone musically. Yet, there are rewards for making the effort (many times.) I remember thinking that 'Eclogue' reminded me of other familiar pieces, especially the strings. The piano jarred me out of that memory and into daring to think in terms of otherness being beautiful in a different way.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
... Messiaen's Apparition de L'Eglise Eternelle might be one of the best things ever written.

D. plays that - it's a v. good piece.

Talking of organ music, Howells' Master Tallis's Testament has a tingle factor that goes off the scale, and his choral music is sublime.

I'd also like to give an Honourable Mention to the Master of the Queen's Music, Sir Peter Maxwell Davies. Growing up in Orkney in the 1970s, I was weaned on Max's music (the part of Widow Grumble in his Cinderella was written for me [Cool] ). It isn't all farts and squeaks; it's often very cleverly written and sometimes very witty (his portrayal of guests at a wedding getting progressively more drunk in An Orkney Wedding, with Sunrise, is hilarious).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Williams.
Paul McCartney. (He's done symphonic pieces.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
James Macmillan and Jonathan Dove for a bit of choral. Lovely stuff.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Thanks, Shipmates. Lots to be going on with - lots of things I'd never heard of.

Amanda, thank you for the recommendation of Hindemith's piano sonatas. I found a recording of Gould playing no.1 today, and really enjoyed it.

I've also listened today to Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. So beautiful!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hindemith's organ music is very good too.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CK said:

quote:
I like Arvo Part, but he reminds me of Penguin Cafe Orchestra - those same varying repetitions.
Me too. If you can spare 5:47 somewhere quiet and give it some attention, this is something lovely.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice that nobody has mentioned William Walton yet. Very much a 20th Century composer (died in 1970, I think) he wrote a good deal of music for films (enough to get him frowned upon by some, I guess). Probably best known for his Cantata, "Beshazzar's Feast" and his suite of incidental music to accompany poetry by Edith Sitwell, "Facade", he wrote very much in the tradition of Vaughan Williams and Elgar, being influenced by both. His viola concerto is well worth your time

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd agree with much of what has been said so far: especially fond of the American Minimalists, Messaien, and- not mentioned yet AFAICS but in some ways the daddy of much C20 music- Charles Ives. But if you want to explore the C20 repertoire, about four years ago EMI produced an excellent boxed set called, I think, 20th Century Masterpieces which is well worth seeking out. 16 cds, from Rachmaninov through to Thomas Ades; very good recordings and ridiculously cheap - I believe you can get it for under £25.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd second the recommendation for Walton's Viola Concerto, and also his film music for the Olivier Shakespeare films, which is wonderful. Another viola concerto well worth catching is Bartok's. I went to a concert with it on the programme with very low expectations, but was blown away by it.

Shostakovich's 2nd piano concerto is another wonderful piece. The slow movement is heartbreakingly beautiful.

Another very under-rated 20th century composer I don't think's been mentioned yet is Michael Tippett. The oratorio "A Child of Our Time" is lovely, and he wrote a piano sonata which is harder work but worth a listen.

Finzi's Clarinet Concerto is a beauty (but I'm biased [Smile] ).

If you can get beyond "English Country Garden", some of Percy Grainger's music is fantastic. I'd particularly recommend "A Lincolnshire Posy" - it has been arranged for piano (or is it two pianos?) but the best version is for wind band. Exquisite.

And pretty much anything by Vaughan Williams is wonderful. Try Symphony No 5, which is my favourite - the first movement in particular is beautiful. And "Serenade to Music" (a setting of a speech from "The Merchant of Venice") is gloriously over the top but lovely. There is an old recording of Adrian Boult conducting the LSO in both which was the first vinyl record I ever bought [Smile]

ETA: And Poulenc! How could I forget Poulenc? The flute sonata is worth a listen, and he wrote some fabulous clarinet duets too.

[ 25. November 2012, 20:11: Message edited by: Jack the Lass ]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Today's discovery: Schoenberg's 3 Piano Pieces, op.11. I am hooked! It's a bit like what Ariston said about Webern upthread - concentrated music. So intense. (I listened to Webern's Bagatelles, too - fantastic!)

I don't know what the heck's going on inside my head, but I've had two solid days of "lightbulb moments" with this music....

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Janáček and Martinů. Janáček especially for having written what is genuinely a space opera - called Mr Brouček's excursion to the Moon and into the fifteenth century.

Martinů is a sort of Czech Vaughan Williams in many ways. Lots of folk tunes with titles like 'The legend of the smoke from potato fires' as well as symphonies. Plus some rather strange operas.

Jaakko Mäntyjärvi for having written the only music I've ever encountered that's based on change-ringing: Psalm 150 in Grandsire Doubles (IIRC) and also in Kent Treble Bob Minor. He has some good Shakespeare song settings as well.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shostakovich - just about anything, but my particular favourite is the second cello concerto. If you're looking for a recording, the original with Rostropovich is one of the most stunning recordings of anything, ever.

Seconding the recommendation for Peter Maxwell Davies. We did the whole O Magnum Mysterium and I loved it.

Frank Martin - the Mass for Double Choir (kind of off the beaten track, but very lovely).

Steve Reich - Tehillim (amazing piece, but I've never been brave enough to attempt it) and Music for 18 Musicians. Both pretty accessible, and I prefer Reich to Glass.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a ridiculous Ralph Vaughan Williams fan, and I love Sibelius, too. Glad Janacek and Martinu were mentioned, and for those who prefer more tonal sonorities, I'd remind everyone of Respighi.

LOTS of great recommendations in this thread. Kudos, All.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
And pretty much anything by Vaughan Williams is wonderful. Try Symphony No 5, which is my favourite - the first movement in particular is beautiful.

Symphony No 5, along with lots of Vaughan Williams' other works, has what has always struck me as a particularly cinematic sound. John Williams meets English folk music. I guess it makes sense, as Vaughan Williams was a pioneer in the field of movie scores.

(The satirical paper "The Onion" runs weekly horoscopes, and I remember one in particular that made me laugh but probably left a lot of readers with a confused look: "Gustav Holst will appear to you in a dream and refuse to leave until you agree that John Williams has been ripping him off for years." Ripping off is an exaggeration for comedic effect, but I think you could probably say something similar about Vaughn Williams' influence on John Williams.)
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Janáček and Martinů. Janáček especially for having written what is genuinely a space opera - called Mr Brouček's excursion to the Moon and into the fifteenth century.

Did you just write that paragraph to show off your code kung fu? Impressive.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
I'm a ridiculous Ralph Vaughan Williams fan, and I love Sibelius, too.

Yes, I had a Sibelius obsession at one point. Shostakovich is good too. There's one of his waltzes, from his Jazz Suite, that haunted me for years as an annoyingly catchy earworm before I finally caught it on the radio and was able to give it a label at last.

Also thanks to the radio I fell completely in love with Albeniz's "Asturias (Leyenda)" which I hadn't heard before. This is sometimes played as a piano piece, sometimes as a guitar piece, either way it's beautiful - passionate, moving, the kind of thing you have to immediately listen to again once it ends.

I also like Erik Satie's piano pieces, which have a sort of fin de siecle, quiet, delicate melancholy about them: quite evocative of the late Victorian Nineties.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I fell completely in love with Albeniz's "Asturias (Leyenda)" which I hadn't heard before. This is sometimes played as a piano piece, sometimes as a guitar piece, either way it's beautiful

Thanks for putting a name to that, it as one of my favourite pieces of guitar music.

[You're most welcome. Unmusical code tidied up as well.]

[ 26. November 2012, 18:40: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Is Xenakis's Nomos Alpha supposed to be funny? Cos I laughed, twice. In a good way. It just struck me that there were these kitsch, jokey little passages in it here and there.

Oh, and I listened to some Penderecki today - [Eek!] It turned out the bit I listened to had been used in The Shining. It fitted. But even in that bizarre, alien soundscape there's something attractive, something worth sticking around for.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Is Xenakis's Nomos Alpha supposed to be funny? Cos I laughed, twice. In a good way. It just struck me that there were these kitsch, jokey little passages in it here and there.

I don't think so, but I think I know exactly which passages you're talking about. Some of those sounds are just so . . . strange . . . that they sound like old-time radio sound effects. Cool, to be sure, but it's hard to take anything that sounds like a slide whistle seriously, even if you know how damn hard that is to pull off.

ETA: I looked it up. Turns out, even the Wiki knows about it. No, humor sounds like the last thing this piece is supposed to evoke.

[ 27. November 2012, 02:09: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
It's nice to see you posting again, The Riv! [Big Grin]
[/tangent]

Here, I disagree with my fellow Host! Erik Satie is good only in very small doses. Once a year. Maybe. [Biased] IMHO, of course!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Here, I disagree with my fellow Host! Erik Satie is good only in very small doses. Once a year. Maybe. [Biased] IMHO, of course!

A bit like the icing on a cake, you wouldn't want it at every meal, but nice now and again when you're in that kind of mood.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaron Copland. "Fanfare For The Common Man", "Rodeo", etc.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Messian can be funny as well. The movement in "Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant Jesus" where he does the creation of the Universe always makes me giggle - the Big Bang on solo piano.

I don't think anyone's mentioned James MacMillan yet. I love his church music but my favourite piece of his is "Tuireadh".

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps one should include Leonard Bernstein's "Mass".
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

In all humble seriousness, Why?

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:

In all humble seriousness, Why?
I don't know the Mass, but I've liked the Bernstein I've heard - the orchestral arrangements from West Side Story and bits of Candide. (It might just be me, but I found that once you know that one of the characters in Candide has had her buttock bitten off by a shark, it becomes the only thing you can remember about the whole opera.)

Now, has nobody mentioned Ligeti? I've just listened to Lux Aeterna and it's exquisite.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
I'm a ridiculous Ralph Vaughan Williams fan ...

There's nothing ridiculous about liking RVW - his music is wonderful. My Better Half has made an organ transcription of the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis and it's utterly spine-tingling.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:

Oh, yes! And there's a film of a performance of it. (It's a symphony, and a mass, and musical.) Powerful stuff, IMHO.
[Cool]

--------------------

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Oh, yes! And there's a film of a performance of it. (It's a symphony, and a mass, and musical.) Powerful stuff, IMHO.

I agree. They did it at the Proms this summer.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parts of Bernstein's Mass are indeed very good. But the imitation pop music is really embarrassing.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I posted before, I forgot the major Russians - Prokofiev and Shostakovich. His Preludes and Fugues are a masterwork of the very highest order.

In thinking of the music of the 20th century, we tend to forget that that is when people such as Respighi, Puccini, Vaughan Williams and others wrote most of their compositions. Our first thoughts are of the atonal school and then the silliness of musique concrete (not sure how that translates into English, if at all) and the more conventional composers are thought of as belonging to a previous age.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
My Better Half has made an organ transcription of the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis and it's utterly spine-tingling.

Any chance we can get a recording of it?

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
In thinking of the music of the 20th century, we tend to forget that that is when people such as Respighi, Puccini, Vaughan Williams and others wrote most of their compositions. Our first thoughts are of the atonal school and then the silliness of musique concrete (not sure how that translates into English, if at all) and the more conventional composers are thought of as belonging to a previous age.

1. Musique concrète doesn't translate. Or, I suppose it does, but it's one of those "translate it and people won't know what you're talking about" things. As for calling it silly, them's fightin' words. Give me early Steve Reich over the uninspired schlock Brahms wrote any day.
2. Requisite grumbling about the term "atonal." All sounds have tones, right? Still, fine, that's another Term Only Pedants Object To For The Sake Of Objecting—but, well, pedant.
3. The more "conventional" composers do (usually) belong to a previous age—or, rather, the reactionary Brahms tradition of making it a point to write music that never evolved beyond where Beethoven left it, besides the occasional dash of nationalism. Now, sometimes that "dash of nationalism" leads to interesting things, especially when the Russians start writing music using their native octotonic scales (hel-LO Petroushka!), but most of them were reacting against that foreign European conservationist/conservatory tradition Brhams started anyway.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am completely and utterly drawn in by the music of Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996).

Rated by a number of commentators as one of the great symphonists of the century. I started with the symphonies, I now have the string quartets, the works for violin + piano or violin solo, some other chamber music, and a large-scale work for string orchestra. And a whole lot more on the shopping list.

I was sufficiently annoyed and not being able to find a decent list of just what he had composed that I went and made one. And then put it on Wikipedia! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
While orfeo's a philistine with no taste

Oi! You might at least NOTIFY me when you're slapping me around like that, instead of waiting for me to stumble across it days afterwards!

EDIT: Plus I really, really like lots of cello music. So if I have no taste, and I like cello music...

[ 30. November 2012, 00:42: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016