homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Which Musicians Are Due For A Reappraisal? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Which Musicians Are Due For A Reappraisal?
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes to CCR. Canned Heat is another.

How Rory Gallagher never gets in the best guitarist lists is beyond me. No one who isn't also a guitarist seems to rate him. Ditto Gary Moore. It seems that my favourite guitarists are Irish. And dead.

I'd also mention The Groundhogs as a great band that were never appreciated, but it's hard to find anyone who has even heard of them.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Laurence
Shipmate
# 9135

- Posted      Profile for Laurence   Email Laurence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Oh and that 4,096-part song-cycle all in the key of G-slightly-flat about the depressed and lonely poet who falls in love with the Miller's beautiful daughter's pet duck...

Ken, you are a very bad man [Killing me]

I must stick up for Schubert though. Erlkonig is a little mini-opera, with the benefit of not having to pay for an orchestra or more than one singer. And the Octet is amazing- almost as good as Mendelssohn's.

Posts: 648 | From: Lincolnshire | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Yes to CCR. Canned Heat is another.

How Rory Gallagher never gets in the best guitarist lists is beyond me. No one who isn't also a guitarist seems to rate him. Ditto Gary Moore. It seems that my favourite guitarists are Irish. And dead.

I'd also mention The Groundhogs as a great band that were never appreciated, but it's hard to find anyone who has even heard of them.

I've heard of The Groundhogs! Anyone who has not heard "Split" has missed one of the best blues/rock albums ever. Hard as diamonds but accessible too (OK, they have a bit of fun with 'Junkman'). Tony McPhee is still a fine guitarist.

Rory Gallagher is one of the best of all time. Clapton, eat your heart out, that boy could play.

btw, what is it about Country music? Most of it is bland pap (IMHO) but rock influenced by it can be superb. I give you Janis Joplin, Lynyrd Skynryd, The Allman Brothers Band and more (but emphatically not The Eagles. Because I say so).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing about country music is that it had a Golden Age in the '40s and '50s, which is what influenced all the rock musicians, beginning with Gram Parsons. And speaking of country-rockers, Mike Nesmith's solo work really deserves to be brought to the attention of the modern alt-country audience. He's a truly brilliant, witty, literate songwriter who (for obvious reasons) never managed to get himself taken as seriously as he deserved.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No.

The thing about country music is its context. I never understood country until I took a trip to the States. The wide open spaces of Arizona with roads where it's 20 miles to the next corner and the only music you can find on the car stereo is the country station. The bars with racks for you to put your guns on before they'd serve you a beer. Spending a night as a guest of the Navajo. Then it made sense.

In the UK we have country without the context. The nearest thing we have are the folk traditions of Scotland and Ireland. In fact Celtic traditional music and country, especially bluegrass, have a lot in common. If you watch BBC Alba (Scottish Gaelic TV channel) on i>player it isnt uncommon to find US country musicians jamming with Scottish traditional musicians. They fit in perfectly.

American folk music has links back to English folk. Country is Celtic. Over time they've both developed in their own way.

In the UK country music in general is due for a reappraisal.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Paul McCartney is due for a reappraisal. Apparently there are still people who don't think he is shit. That is a situation that needs to be resolved, and quickly.
code:

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Terry Scott Taylor

shake it out... and guide my palsied hand

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016