homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Regrets? What's on your top ten?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Regrets? What's on your top ten?
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The British Heart Foundation have published a survey of regrets. Their answer to regrets is to take more holidays. What's your top regret and how did you get over it?

Brits’ top 10 lifetime regrets:

1. Not travelling more and seeing more of the world
2. Not keeping in touch with more friends from the past
3. Taking too little exercise
4. Not saving enough money
5. Taking up smoking
6. Not working harder at school
7. Choice of career
8. Wasting years with the wrong partner
9. Eating unhealthily
10. Not asking grandparents more about their lives before they died.

Here's the BHF page.

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sticking at my music lessons. I've started singing lessons recently though, and it's great [Smile]

Cattyish, cover your ears.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for you, Cattyish. My wife has regretted dropping out of dance classes when she was in Middle School, and finally started taking them again about a month ago. She is having a blast.

My old high school choir teacher is proud of me because I have kept up with singing in choirs for my whole life, which I think was what she hoped some of her students would end up doing. Just as long as you keep that part of your brain engaged.

I did quit piano in middle school, and have recently decided that when my Grandmother finally has to downsize, I am going to ask for her piano so that I can get back into it. I was pretty good back then, and I think I could get back there if I set a good practice schedule for myself. Last time I was fooling around, I discovered that my sight reading skills are still pretty strong.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's funny, but I've lived for the last few years doing my best to T.O.T.A.L.L.Y reject hopesanddreamsforthefuture as well as ruminating upon the past (life events equaling relative personal devastation, et cetera [Roll Eyes] )... such that, now that I pause to think about my regrets, there are none.

Today.

I'll think about it over the weekend, and I'm sure I'll come up with something [Big Grin]

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Top regret? Not coming out as trans when I was a teenager and first realised I was — which would have been early enough that I'd have avoided too many physical changes and wouldn't be fighting what nature has done to my body. There's not a day goes by when I don't cry over that.

Close second are doing a PhD and buying a house (which I attempted to do at the same time). I haven't finished the thesis after 6 years, and I'm in a very bad state financially, and need to rent out three bedrooms of said house to afford debt repayments and bills. If anyone knows of someone who wants a room in Coventry starting next March or September, send them my way!

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My biggest regrets are:

1. Not paying enough attention in my composition classes.
2. Having a closed mind to so many things.
3. Not leaving home and therefore not experimenting with sex drugs and rock and roll in my late teens/early 20s (now I'm in my mid thirties and in a place where experimentation would be difficult)
4. Not pursuing relationships.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regrets. I've had a few...

A big one is not having the b*ll*cks for a one year placement in Denmark, and instead spending a year in Stockport.

The economy was slow, and duties ended up including the polishing of the company cheeseplant.

This was nearly 25 years ago. Don't get me started...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016