homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Let It Snow(Days)! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Let It Snow(Days)!
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is the time for making festive flakes, again. Although some of us cough:MegtheRed, mt, some others, myself:cough flake out of season without a license. [Snigger]

Here's the SnowDays site, and happy flaking to all. [Yipee]

[ 03. December 2012, 12:03: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only person who was unaware of the right-click menu whilst creating flakes? And the progress bar beneath the flake itself?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also also, remember to add "SOF" as your location so we can track your flakes down!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
It is the time for making festive flakes, again. Although some of us cough:MegtheRed,mt,someothers,myself:cough flake out of season without a license. [Snigger]

Lyda*Rose, having seen the white stuff fall in every month (save July), I can tell you that around these parts there ain't no such thing as "out of season" when it comes to snow. You and mt are obviously Great White North wannabees. [Razz]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meg, may I just say your stuff is amazing?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Am I the only person who was unaware of the right-click menu whilst creating flakes? And the progress bar beneath the flake itself?

It took me a while to catch on about the progress bar; my work doesn't challenge the Scissor Police too often. Frankly, as for the right-click, I knew it was there, but I mostly just go back and forth between "check polygon box" and "uncheck polygon box".

I generally use "polygon" alone or "freehand normal" (which takes up a lot of the progress bar) combined with "polygon". "Simplify" drives me nuts- I hate the program making decisions for me!

Thanks for sharing the tip on these for everyone. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Meg, may I just say your stuff is amazing?

This! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] Aw, shucks - right backa atcha

[ 02. December 2012, 10:57: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Lyda ! (You're still the Best). It's amazing and still fun.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear! I can spend hours on here!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is wayyyy too much fun!

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I just discovered the new "Make" button on the flake display. They have a deal with a site called Zazzle and you can get mugs, tees, necklaces, and stickers made of your designs.

I want me a necklace. Now not only a time waster but a money waster, too. Isn't the Net grand? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

But I'm not crazy about the new pop-up ads. [Frown]

But then we've had years of free program and bandwidth use so I mustn't complain.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father is always asking how to remove adverts that appear on various free sites he uses. Upgrade to the pay version isn't deemed an acceptable answer.

says lilBuddha who complained about the orange and white arrow adverts we had here [Hot and Hormonal]
Sorry about that.

but they were very annoying

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda*Rose that site could be addictive. I'm going to have to restrict myself to 3 a day if I'm to finish my shopping before Christmas.

Also it's perfect for someone like me who can't draw.

If i want to find other shipmates flakes do I search for SOF under location?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

That is correct, Huia. Though there are some shipmates who have created flakes without using that designation in the location field, IIRC.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had lost this bookmark, thanks for the link. I have made several and have "located" myself at SOF. I am still Kyzyl on that site.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Huia:
quote:
Lyda*Rose that site could be addictive.
Addictive? You jest. I think that I have flaked in every month this year but November. And in some months I cut more than one hundred designs! [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I don't get anything useful done between now and summer, it's all your fault. I'd never seen this before and now I can't tear myself away...
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see a progress bar. [Frown]

I also don't see GK (Golden Key) flaking this year -- her most recent one is from January.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The progress bar is little dots underneath the flake preview. It is deceptive in that you can make many cuts and not see it move, or a few and see it fly across. My theory is the higher the resolution of your mouse, the more nodes created and the fewer lines allowed. This is negated in polygon mode.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Mousethief - the first flake I caught in the random fall was one of yours with a L'Engle quote, I felt right at home [Smile]

I'm going to have to play with the buttons a bit more for different effects, but a bettersurface on which to mouse might help.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone explain to me how people do the little dots that run around? I've tried my mightiest to get little dots to disappear but I always end up with scraps of leftover dot around the edges.

ETA: Indeed negative flaking completely eludes me. When I "flip" it to negative using the method on the misterX page, I can't make round dots or anything -- the only place that turns white is the space between the ends of my line after it crosses -- not what's inside the circle itself. I appear to be missing something vital but I can't figure out what it is. When I try flipping a lot of times everything just disappears, and doesn't always come back when I flip the other way. I've tried it in Foxpro and IE both, but no difference.

[ 08. December 2012, 18:27: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

If you show me the # of a particular flake so I understand what you are referencing, I will look when next at a computer.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
If you show me the # of a particular flake so I understand what you are referencing, I will look when next at a computer.

11313785 is a good place to start. Although if you can help me figure out negative flaking at all, I would be grateful.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I'll be honest and tell you I've no clue at the moment. I can do simple inverses, but cannot get consistent control working in the negative. My drawing tablet makes it worse. If I work it out, I will let you know.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

The way I make negative flakes is to make one shape in the triangle then make sure the polygon function is unchecked. Then I start a line under and outside the triangle on the left, continue the line under the triangle, and when I get to the right end just past the right bottom corner, I make a loop at the end of the line and then click. It works for me most of the time. Then you can use both polygon and non-polygon as you like to make white cuts.

I've never figured out any rhyme or reason in this program why an action will work 90% of the time and squick out at others. I must lack a certain logic neuron. But I do know that when you have the flake in negative and a cut you make doesn't appear, I undo it and then try to make the cut from another direction. Like if I cut the failed shape from the top counterclockwise, I'll undo it (you have to undo it or it will invisibly screw up future cuts there) and try it from the bottom clockwise. It's another trick that usually works for me.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It's very frustrating. Positive flaking always works no matter what direction you draw in. Have you figured out how to make the dots move, i.e. how to erase a dot once you've drawn it, Lyda*Rose?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

'Fraid not, mt. I agree that negative flaking can be a pain in the butt sometimes. But somehow, the more I've done it, the more instinctively I've gotten it right. And when it's working I really like the results.

Mind you, I never have been able to get the flashy, animated thing going including disappearing dots. And I love those. [brick wall]

[ 09. December 2012, 08:20: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's what I've figured out with the flashy animated thing: if you make a straight cut in polygon mode (curved cuts work too, of course; I just don't use them as often) that goes all the way across, the cuts you've made will inverse, assuming that the positive/negative values on both sides of the cut are the same. That is, if it's empty on both sides or full on both sides, it'll work; if it's one one way and the other the other, it'll just make a cut. This also works for cuts made inside the flake, or that don't go all the way across, I think; just watch where the vertices of your cut are, and things should work.

Do this often enough, and you'll get flashy flakes.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I've tried and tried to eliminate circles and can't do it without leaving slop around the edges. I have to think I'm not using the right method, but what that method might be, I have no idea.

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief, I just wanted to say how pretty and complex I found the flakes that you've made (even if you haven't figured out all the tricks).

BTW this is addictive.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
Mousethief, I just wanted to say how pretty and complex I found the flakes that you've made (even if you haven't figured out all the tricks).

BTW this is addictive.

Thank you, and ain't it just!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

OK, who put the Dr. Bronner screed on one of my snowflakes?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

If it was someone here, I wish to thank them. I was only peripherally aware of Bronner's products and just read a bit about him What a delightfully crazy person.
My bet is Ariston. The clue is in the name.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That was my guess, too. [Big Grin] Although it could be Amazing Grace...

Just wanted to add-- there is such a warm and snuggly feeling you get when you search "SOF" and see your friend's names drifting by on pretty things. It's like getting a little bitty Christmas card.

[ 10. December 2012, 05:23: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

While that sounds exactly like something I'd do, it wasn't me this time! Trust me, I would be taking credit for it if it were.

--------------------

Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you - such a wonderful addition to my list of ways to procrastinate... [Roll Eyes]
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Has anybody else gotten any comments from Better Homes and Gardens this year? I haven't seen any.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, finally got with the program and did one. (GK, from SOF)

Question: I can't make out people's names, because they're in red on a dark background. Is there anything I can do about that???

kthxbai [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Never noticed the colour scheme before. I've no issues with reading the names, could it be your monitor is set too dark?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks! Brightening it helped. I usually keep the brightness way down, 'cause I'm sensitive to light. But maybe I can manage while I'm reading flakes.
[Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

You've received comments from a magazine, MT?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
You've received comments from a magazine, MT?

No, BH&G used to have their own snowflaking web page that was somehow tied to the same flake database as SnowDays. So sometimes you'd see flakes on SnowDays that were from the BH&G site, and sometimes people from BH&G would comment on our flakes. You'd get an email and click on the link, and instead of opening SnowDays it opened the BH&G page.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Oooh. I do not give my e-mail to Snowdays, so do not know of comments unless I check a flake.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Yeah, you used to be able to embed Snow Days in your own site, so GH and others had it.

lilbuddha--

I usually put my e-mail address in the box when making my flake. I've never had any problem with it. No one but Snow Days can see it. They'll just send you a note and link when you get a comment. FWIW.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

My experience is the same. I've never gotten any spam as a result of SnowDays, and nobody else can see the email addy except their computer.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Oooh. I do not give my e-mail to Snowdays, so do not know of comments unless I check a flake.

I get enough e-mail as it is. I just search my name for flakes from the last week so I can give my thanks to friendly critiquers. Actually I also enjoy the occasional anonymous adolescent who says something like "I hate your flake!"; I give rein to some G rated creativity in reply. [Two face]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

On a recent flake I made with a quote from Freddy Mercury, some young punk (I assume by the text-message spelling and lack of capitalization) asked me if I even knew who Freddy Mercury was. I replied, I've seen Freddy Mercury live in concert twice. Have you? The punk has not yet responded.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Should have said, "He's a bloke what made American cars, innit? Dodge brothers, Henry Ford, Freddy Mercury..."

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016