homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Vicar wears Prada

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Vicar wears Prada
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Druidess Eileen (may her tea light never be dimmed nor her beaker spill) has a link to this Daily Mail story. Is this the new face (or legs) of Anglicanism? What would a woman bishop wear? And will the Daily Mail ever carry proper news stories ...

[ 04. December 2012, 14:23: Message edited by: que sais-je ]

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see what the problem is. She doesn't look outrageous to me. No reason for a priest to look dowdy. Not that other kinds of garb one sees around are necessarily dowdy. She just looks particularly cutting edge.

A former rector of ours used to ride a motorcycle part of the time, and when he did he wore a leather jacket. (He did avoid wearing one with "Harley Davidson" or "Bikers for Christ". [Biased] )

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From the article...‘There is that perception that religion is in a box with everything middle-aged and that everything else is in another box; or (as far as the clergy goes) that God is interested only in middle-aged men.

‘But why shouldn’t a priest be interested in Prada? I dress in a way that reflects my personality.’

[...]

But it would be unfair to suggest that Rev Hitchiner became a priest simply because she thought wearing a dog collar might make her look groovy.Her parishioners say she is hard- working and committed, and as Rev Hitchiner says on her Twitter profile: ‘She loves many things: God, anthropology, The West Wing, good food with good friends, mostly God though . . .’

Sounds great to me.

And "what would a woman bishop wear"? Are we supposed to extrapolate from one woman's clothing choices to all women's clothing choices? You're joking, right?

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Shudder)

Not at the (apparently likeable, competent and stylish) Reverend Hitchiner, but at the coyly patronising tone of the article. Should know better than to follow a Mail link by now. It always leaves me feeling vaguely compromised.

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those shipmates that are Top People, the same story, with photos, was in the Times illustrated weekend supplement last Saturday.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Druidess's closing lines came close to endangering my keyboard:

quote:
I think, at the end of the day, the following question from the Mail is the most important one:

"After all, would a ‘traditionalist’ wear Louboutin leopard print heels?

To which the only answer I can find is, "only on his day off."

[Killing me]
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you who remember the thread about Priests and 'detective' stories, I think she looks how I imagine Merrily Watkins to look! [Axe murder]

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant! She's a scouser too! (Another reason for the Daily Wail to take against her)

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how the numbers of teenage boys in her congregation stack up against the national average!

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Vicar should never wear that kind of dross. They must always shop out of Primark, dress only in M & S black jumpers and have horrid clogging shoes. How dare she wear a hair clip and have a mustard coloured bag - it's just not right. I mean, whats the world coming to when Vicar's express their personality. I tell you, it's the end of the church and wasn't that way in my day. A Vicar should mirror Christ.....but only ever in a dull, non-descript way, and certainly not in a human way.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anybody see her as a - hardly even thinly disguised - heroine in a Susan Howatch novel? One also has no difficulty imagining the usual Howatch raft of competitive middle aged senior male clerics frantically crossing and uncrossing their legs.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
A Vicar should never wear that kind of dross. They must always shop out of Primark, dress only in M & S black jumpers and have horrid clogging shoes. How dare she wear a hair clip and have a mustard coloured bag - it's just not right. I mean, whats the world coming to when Vicar's express their personality. I tell you, it's the end of the church and wasn't that way in my day. A Vicar should mirror Christ.....but only ever in a dull, non-descript way, and certainly not in a human way.

Otherwise us blokes might start getting the sort of fantasies young women of nice family used to get about the curate.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fletcher Christian: you sound uncannily like Anne Reid in last night's Last Tango in Halifax. Or Alan Bennett.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Not:
(Shudder)

Not at the (apparently likeable, competent and stylish) Reverend Hitchiner, but at the coyly patronising tone of the article. Should know better than to follow a Mail link by now. It always leaves me feeling vaguely compromised.

It was the Daily Mail article, not the Rev Hitchiner, that lead to the OP. Someone said the aim of the Daily Mail is to make you dislike groups of people you didn't dislike before. Perhaps women priests are to be added to social workers/Labour councils/benefit claimants/asylum seekers.

Also the DM manages to be unpleasant in various ways then back off: she likes expensive clothes which her congregation can't afford, but as an afterthought they add, neither can she. The strapline's claim of "a most unholy row among the faithful" comes down to "one internet blogger who might be said to represent the ‘traditionalists’ within the Church of England" - or who might not.

I'm interested to see the Times also carried the story - I wonder if their take was similar? I don't like the Times but, unlike the Daily Mail, I don't feel the urge to wash my hands after reading it.

I do have one possible complaint against Reverend Hitchiner: in the second picture she seems to be standing on a polished wood floor - if so those heels will make an awful mess of it.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meercat - I think Merrily Watkins usually looked a little less well groomed than that, and often puffing away on a cigarette!

It isn't just Prada that women vicars might wear, though - I remember a programme on Radio 4, some years ago, where various "unconventional" priests were interviewed. One of them was a young woman (she may have been a deacon at the time) who liked to dress as a Goth, but with the dog collar, and said that she often got the reaction that people thought she was some sort of kiss-a-gram!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:

Unless they are high anglo-catholic, in which case lace is de-rigour, berets of all types are acceptable and you can swing a little smokey handbag........

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Eigon... (who said: Meercat - I think Merrily Watkins usually looked a little less well groomed than that, and often puffing away on a cigarette!)

Well-groomed or not, Merrily appealed to me through the books. Google didn't turn up any images of her, though, so I'll picture her as the Rev we are discussing! [Big Grin]

Best wishes to the Reverend Hitchiner... long may she attract congregations and spread the Word.

--------------------
Simples!

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

And another Priest who attracted attention a while ago (and I believe, due to her post, doesn't always dress 'like a Vicar') is this lady... Joanna Jepson.

http://www.joannajepson.com/home.html

--------------------
Simples!

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016