homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Apocalypse! Advice issued for the end of the world.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Apocalypse! Advice issued for the end of the world.
Lucrezia Spagliatoni Dayglo
Apprentice
# 16907

- Posted      Profile for Lucrezia Spagliatoni Dayglo   Email Lucrezia Spagliatoni Dayglo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This rather tongue-in-cheek item has appeared on my radar!

British authorities have insisted they are prepared for the looming apocalypse and have issued advice on how to cope.

Have shipmates any more useless advice for the apocalypse!

[Probably best not to paste the whole item as it looks as if this is copyright, so I've put a link in instead. Cheers, Ariel.]

[ 08. December 2012, 08:30: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
Work hard, drink hard, play hard and fall over hard.

Posts: 20 | From: "...an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet ..." | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There were some good ideas on this thread not so long ago, particularly if the advice is Party! (Like there's no tomorrow).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is fast approaching, and me not sure what the Mayans consider good behaviour for a happy afterlife. Or is it only the physical cosmology we are to be concerned with? Best to cover all the bases. Feast, orgy and prayers for the final few minutes.
To whom it may concern, You are the best of all possible god(s). I have been ever so good/naughty as you have prescribed. I look forward to the wonderful delights of your afterlife/getting tortured/being devoured first, as a devoted follower of __________. {Please fill in name(s)}
Sincerely, lilBuddha

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Packing tape on the windows in the X shape.

Also at the moment apocalypse is unleased you should be prepared by holding your nose and sticking out your tongue.

Or at least that's what the Doctor suggested for a nuclear blast.

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keep a few shovels handy. I believe they are very useful for lobotomising zombies.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Olde Sea Dog
Shipmate
# 13061

- Posted      Profile for Olde Sea Dog   Email Olde Sea Dog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stock up on toilet paper, you'll need it.

--------------------
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Posts: 67 | From: The C of Consciousness - California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whisky. Definitely whisky.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Patience. A good book (not necessarily THE Good Book). A change of underwear. Ear plugs. A second opinion.

[ 10. December 2012, 00:54: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The US government, having a less acute sense of irony than HM's, has just plunged its head into the sand.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I realised a while back that I received excellent Apocalypse training from, of all people, the Girl Guides.

All those people who've spent their lives blowing out zombie brains on video games? They gonna get eaten. OTOH, I spent years in the Guides learning useful skills like camping and setting fire to stuff. I'll have no problem heading to the hills. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucrezia Spagliatoni Dayglo:
British authorities have insisted they are prepared for the looming apocalypse and have issued advice on how to cope.

I'm relieved that things have improved since Leicester city council was forced to admit it was unprepared for a Zombie Apocalypse.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
To quell fears, the UK organisations have issued detailed, if tongue-in-cheek, advice.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman advised: "Fit a smoke alarm on each level of your home, then at least you might stand a chance of knowing that the end of the world is nigh ahead of those who don't.

"If you survive the apocalypse you'll be alerted to a fire more quickly should one ever break out."

The AA warned: "Before heading off, take time to do the basic checks on your car and allow extra time for your journey.

"Local radio is a good source of traffic and weather updates and for any warnings of an impending apocalypse. Should the announcer break such solemn news, try to remain focused on the road ahead and keep your hands on the wheel."

[Killing me]

What a country! Yeah, as an official announcement, that probably wouldn't fly here. We have waaaay too many po' mouthed boneheads. There actually would be people listening to their AM stations for news of the Apocalypse. And there really would be a raid in the stores on smoke alarms. Although on the other hand, that might not be a bad thing.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too was a Girl Guide and I am ready for anything, with my copy of How Girls Can Help To Build Up The Empire: the Handbook for Girl Guides (facsimile of the original 1912 edition) to hand. The shovel is in the garage, but I can get to it without going outside the house in the event of a zombie attack.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My advice is to take a good book to read - the queue for passport control to get into Heaven is likely to be very long indeed.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kindle! I've got three versions of the Bible in it plus the LOL Cat version. That's gotta count for something. [Angel]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
My advice is to take a good book to read - the queue for passport control to get into Heaven is likely to be very long indeed.

Go to Hell instead. I'm told they let in anybody.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The great thing about an Apocalypse this close to Christmas is that if you buy tinfoil to make a protective hat, and then the Apocalypse doesn't happen, you can use the foil to cook your turkey in at Christmas.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
The US government, having a less acute sense of irony than HM's, has just plunged its head into the sand.

I was reading, then got a white screen and
quote:
We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by!
I want my money back. It may, regardless of pond/hemisphere differences, be 12.12.12, but it isn't 21/12/12 or 12/21/12 ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh, golly gosh (moderate langauge in preparation) I looked up and saw a meteorite in the night sky. Is this a sign? (I also saw China Airlines Flight CZ321 at 11278 meters on a bearing of ... oh, never mind)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's always this:
CDC zombie preparedness

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
The great thing about an Apocalypse this close to Christmas is that if you buy tinfoil to make a protective hat, and then the Apocalypse doesn't happen, you can use the foil to cook your turkey in at Christmas.

Instructions.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan_of_Quark:
There's always this:
CDC zombie preparedness

Or, if you like, in graphic novella form...

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Instructions.
For a moment I was expecting instructions on how to cook a turkey.

Seems to me the Ship has missed a marketing opportunity here. We could've been churning out SOF anti-apocalypse tinfoil hats by the thousand.

--------------------

ProgenitorDope
Apprentice
# 16648

- Posted      Profile for ProgenitorDope   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(1) Cardio, (2) Double tap (3) Avoid bathrooms (4) Seatbelts.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has the world ended yet? Is there a way of telling the difference between the endless void of eternal nothingness and a typical Friday in December?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Why, this is Hell nor are we out of it

[ 21. December 2012, 07:02: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just realised that it won't end today but tomorrow as we're in different time zones. An extra day!
That's assuming it all goes down at midnight.

[ 21. December 2012, 07:35: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I never did! Last time we had an apocalyptical scenario like this I just happened to be in the one place thought to be safe, (Iona). I'm on sacristy duty this weekend, so if The End Of The World could kindly hold off until approximately 2 pm this afternoon, I shall be safely ensconced in church setting up. With a plentiful supply of candles, bibles, incense, linen which could at a pinch be utilised should the heating systems fail. Food provision? No problem! I have access to the secret stash of sweeties that are handed out at the monthly All Age Service birthday slot.

Oh, and I'm an ex Girl Guide and proud patrol leader whose group was awarded the Wooden Spoon for Best Cooks, District Camp, Shere 1972. I'm sorted. [Angel]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How can we tell whether we are in the same time-space continuum we were in yesterday, if the new one and the old one are identical?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
I'm on sacristy duty this weekend, so if The End Of The World could kindly hold off until approximately 2 pm this afternoon, I shall be safely ensconced in church setting up. With a plentiful supply of candles, bibles, incense, linen which could at a pinch be utilised should the heating systems fail. Food provision? No problem! I have access to the secret stash of sweeties that are handed out at the monthly All Age Service birthday slot.

Probably safe from zombies, too.

Or is it vampires?

[Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:
I'm on sacristy duty this weekend, so if The End Of The World could kindly hold off until approximately 2 pm this afternoon, I shall be safely ensconced in church setting up. With a plentiful supply of candles, bibles, incense, linen which could at a pinch be utilised should the heating systems fail. Food provision? No problem! I have access to the secret stash of sweeties that are handed out at the monthly All Age Service birthday slot.

Or is it vampires?

[Confused]

Never mind Zombies or vampires! That list of essentials pretty much guarantees I'm safe from my family too [Snigger]
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:

Or is it vampires?

[Confused]

Never mind Zombies or vampires! That list of essentials pretty much guarantees I'm safe from my family too [Snigger]
I said "sweeties," you two, not garlic!

Mind you, chewing on a few cloves of that would have much the same effect.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sweeties? Garlic? Makes no difference.

It's the bibles, candles and incense that keep me safe from my family...

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We can always rest in the assurance that if anyone 'knows' when the End will come, then that is when it will not, and these posts show that just about all Shipmates agree.

We are told that it is not known even to the Son, but only the Father.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is anyone there, or am I the only one left?
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Just popping back to check, and yes, it is just you. Should not have been napping.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd forgotten this was upon us. I do hope it holds off till after midnight. We have friends coming round to a meal and it's sherry trifle for pudding. I'd hate it to go to waste.

Nen - domestic goddess.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently the 'yoots' are taking this as a very good excuse to have an Apocalypse Party.

Then again, I think I remember a Party thrown because of Thursday following Wednesday. Or something like that.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Sweeties? Garlic? Makes no difference.

It's the bibles, candles and incense that keep me safe from my family...

[Killing me]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lucrezia Spagliatoni Dayglo:

I'm relieved that things have improved since Leicester city council was forced to admit it was unprepared for a Zombie Apocalypse.
This seems a little unfair on Leicester city council, they did say that they could use elements of their emergency plan ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So when is the world next scheduled to end? I was washing my hair and missed it this time.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
So when is the world next scheduled to end? I was washing my hair and missed it this time.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some 'old calendar' Mayans. If they do exist, you've got about a week and a half until the next end of the world.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had assumed it was really just that they ran out of space on their calendar. A few thousand years in the future should be enough for any calendar designer really, you have to stop somewhere.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
Could this be the end of End of the World predictions ?

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Could this be the end of End of the World predictions ?

If not, can we predict when end of the world predictions will end?

--------------------

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally asked by Chapelhead:
quote:
... can we predict when end of the world predictions will end?
When ...

... this ...

... thread ...

....ends?

[Help]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Good point. Let's close it and find out.

Firenze
New Heaven and New Earth Host

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016