homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Carolling

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Carolling
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's your favourite carol (preferably one we haven't heard - a thread full of Little Donkey might drive me to suicide). And yes I know it's Advent, but I felt all Christmassy tonight for some reason.

My fav is Suantrai ar slanaitheora with the Wexford carol a very close second.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The choir I sing with have been practising the Welsh carol Tua Bethlem Dref for a concert we're doing on Monday. Unfortunately I can't find a decent recording of it online but it is new to me, and very beautiful.

Also we're doing The Shepherds' Farewell, which I wasn't convinced about at first, but is really growing on me now it's clicked. A lady who sits near me in choir has difficulty singing it without crying.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard that one. Very nice.

I will nominate the Huron Carol which always makes me think of deep and cold snow and short, short days. I did think the nativity story must have been a snowy day until I was older. The link is in Huron (modern people are Wynadot) at start, with some English later on in this one which is the nicest one I found on youtube.

My other very much favourite is Un flambeau, Jeanette, Isabella, which is also available in English as "Bring us a torch, Jeanette, Isabella".

Both of these were staples of my childhood, and probably I like them extremely because of that association.

The two I absolutely cannot abide are Jingle Bell Rock and Felice Navidad (by José Feliciano). Not fond of any Boney M Christmas renditions as well.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
A lady who sits near me in choir has difficulty singing it without crying.

Me too! [Tear] That's been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl.

Break Forth, O Beauteous Heavenly Light has the top spot on my list, though. Our choir is singing that on the 16th for our "Family Christmas" service. They really do sound lovely!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like nearly all the carols I know, except Silent night and O holy night. [Projectile] If I never hear either of them again, it'll be too soon.

My favourite is probably Unto us is born a Son, followed closely by Lo! He comes with clouds descending, for which D. wrote a Seriously Good descant.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sydney Carter's Every Star Shall Sing a Carol. I love the cosmic dimension.

Or It Came Upon a Midnight Clear. To the tune linked here; I hadn't realised until checking on YouTube that there's another, more original(?) tune, which I could probably grow to love.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a great way to start the morning - really gives you that Christmas feeling.

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I like nearly all the carols I know, except Silent night and O holy night. [Projectile] If I never hear either of them again, it'll be too soon.

I like almost all the ones I hear too - too many to be able to name one favourite. There are only about three I don't like. "Silent Night", and "Away in a Manger", closely followed by La Marche des Rois which we learnt at school. We had to practise this so often that I can never hear the original (without words) without immediately being transported back to a classroom of bored teenage girls on a cold, bleak November day, chanting this thing unenthusiastically in unison.

Other than that, just about about everything. Many are lovely catchy tunes (even earworms). The Seven Joys of Mary has been running through my head for a couple of weeks now. I recently discovered the Carol of the Bells, which if sung well, is another good one. Also, the Coventry Carol is lovely, though more lyrical and haunting than earworm material. These are three I only discovered in the past few years.

[ 09. December 2012, 07:02: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sussex Carol

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Birdie:
quote:

Also we're doing The Shepherds' Farewell, which I wasn't convinced about at first, but is really growing on me now it's clicked. A lady who sits near me in choir has difficulty singing it without crying

Is this based on an aria from Berlioz's Faust?!

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"It came upon a midnight clear" with the descant of the angel's song, gloria-ing over the top, which I haven't heard for ages.
And "Three Kings from Persian Lands Afar", sung with "How Brightly Beams the Morning Star".
And "While shepherds watched" sung to Cranbrook.
And "Who can name that bright flame, which the Wise Men saw that night" aka "Star in the South" which we sang at school.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
posted by Birdie:
quote:

Also we're doing The Shepherds' Farewell, which I wasn't convinced about at first, but is really growing on me now it's clicked. A lady who sits near me in choir has difficulty singing it without crying

Is this based on an aria from Berlioz's Faust?!
It's from L'enfance du Christ. I've never heard the whole work, myself, but think I would enjoy that as much as those parts so familiar to me!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember my mother singing this when I was a little girl. The joy of hearing my daughter sing it (about 15 years ago) at her primary school concert [Smile]

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is probably my favorite. Contrary to what the blurb says, this is not Steeleye Span singing - it is Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band. Thanks to Andy Watts of the Carnival Band, I was able to get hold of the music for it, and train a small choir to sing it (with a couple of others). Pure self-indulgence!

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were practising the music for next week's carol service today. I think i actually like all the carols we're singing, but then I like most carols anyway.
Does 'O come O come emmanuel' count as a carol? or an advent song?

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the relatively new Townend/Getty "Joy has Dawned uppn the world". Some lovely imagery in there. But my fave has always been O Little Town of Bethlehem. It always makes me feel very warm and full of wonder.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
I remember my mother singing this when I was a little girl. The joy of hearing my daughter sing it (about 15 years ago) at her primary school concert [Smile]

I sang this in choir as a wee thing 50 years ago, but with English words. Here are the ones I can remember:

Joyful be, the Child is born
Play little flute, with bagpipes sounding

I loved this song and I had forgotten it. Thank you so much, tessaB, for bringing it back.

My favorite:

O Jesulein suss. This version by Chanticleer is absolutely sublime. Very quiet and moving. Each verse has a different arrangement. The last verse is a knockout; it reduces me to tears whenever I play it. (I am not crazy about the actual video of this, but the music is the thing.)

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love "I Wonder as I Wander".

Unfortunately, every recording I have heard has been done by an adult with a trained voice. I first heard it sung a capella by a child soprano, and I'm convinced that this is how it should be sung. It is too naive for an adult voice.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for 'It Came Upon a Midnight Clear'.
quote:
and man, at war with man, hears not
the love song that they bring:
O hush the noise, ye men of strife,
and hear the angels sing!

[Tear]

Also for pure Christmas karaoke: 'Joy to the World'. You can give it a bit of welly.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huron Carol is by far my favorite (performing it solo in two weeks! Eep!) it feels like Christmas to me here in the snowy north. I also assumed for years that the Christmas story took place in deep snow and deeper cold- the stars were out, to a northern kid that means deep freeze. And they put the family in a shed? They'd freeze to death!

This was compounded by my learning the Christmas Story in Deg Hit'an Athabascan as a very young child. A whole lot doesn't translate. Therefore, the family sheltered in the snow hollow beneath an old spruce, and they were visited by the chiefs of the forest- Wolf, Bear, and Wolverine. And it was Raven who appeared to them.

Colored my view of the story immensely.

I'm also a sucker for O Come O Come Emmanuel, but that's technically an Advent song...?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I love "I Wonder as I Wander".

Unfortunately, every recording I have heard has been done by an adult with a trained voice. I first heard it sung a capella by a child soprano, and I'm convinced that this is how it should be sung. It is too naive for an adult voice.

I've got a recording in just that style. I'll see if I can dig it out and find out where it came from.

This is an interesting point, because the settings, context and performance make the carols for me. Most can be done well or badly, although a competent descant with some welly on the organ is unlikely to go far wrong. When I take a liking to a carol, it's often to a particular recording or setting which brings it to life. Even The First Nowell, which I usually find slow and dreary when sung in church, becomes a very special joy in Victor Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony.

In carol terms, I'm a bit of a tart. I've got all sorts of different albums, and I'm usually looking for more. If I have favourites, they tend to vary with mood, or to relate to specific recordings, rather than the carol in general. The one that's stuck in my head right now is an old tune for While Shepherds Watched, but I've also had an alternative Hark The Herald tune and a traditional West Country setting of God Rest Ye Merry as earworms recently.

I do like Masters in This Hall very much, but I suspect that's because I rarely hear it sung, so there's no problem with overexposure, and when it is sung, it's done well because it's been carefully prepared.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some crackers in Carols for Choirs which I've spent my life wanting to do and never found a sufficiently ambitious choir.

Masters in this Hall
Boars Head Carol
In Dulci Jubilo
et al.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
There are some crackers in Carols for Choirs which I've spent my life wanting to do and never found a sufficiently ambitious choir.

The danger is the ambitious but incompetent choirs. All you need is one overenthusiastic choirmaster who's utterly convinced that he can use 5 quavery, senile sopranos, 2 adequate altos and 3 basses who think they can sing tenor to put on a performance to rival Carols From King's.

CHOIRS: KNOW YOUR LIMITS!

Can't disagree with your listed favourites, but however well a choir sings In Dulci Jubilo, it's never going to be a patch on Mike Oldfield. [Cool]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much for all the recommendations posted already, a few are in my favourites list but there are others I'd never heard of and the journey of carol discovery is a very nice one [Smile]

I find myself singing the Yorkshire Wassail to myself a lot. I particularly like the slightly sombre note the chorus finishes on.

Another favourite for singing (and dancing to) is Angelus ad Virginem It was the first time I'd heard anything in Latin that was so thumpingly joyful (as opposed to reverently joyful).

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always love Cornelius' The Three Kings, (which is not We 3 Kings). It is especially enjoyable when sung by Kings College.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Masters in this Hall

I know this only as a drinking song. Maybe there's 2 with the same name?

Masters in this Hall, hear these words today
The beer is mighty fine, and we've all come to play
Drink it up yahoo, drink it up yipee
If you've got to pee, don't do it all over me!
etc.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:
Masters in this Hall

I know this only as a drinking song. Maybe there's 2 with the same name?

Masters in this Hall, hear these words today
The beer is mighty fine, and we've all come to play
Drink it up yahoo, drink it up yipee
If you've got to pee, don't do it all over me!
etc.

The original is actually somewhat seditious in the manner of the Magnificat; the general theme is "hello rich people, God's raised up poor people like me and cast you down."

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the cherry tree carol but i often sing an alternative lyric on the lines of 'Joseph popped her cherry in the land of Galilee.

Sounds rude? Well, i looked it up recently and some suggest that there IS a double entendre intended.

To 'lose your cherry' goes back to a century after this carol, so there may be an overlap. This article explains it a bit.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything new to me.

I first heard "Little Gray Donkey" last year, but it has only one verse so I wrote two more, which means it can't be done in public because it's under copyright and you don't mess with words of a song under copyright.

Recently ran into Gabrielle's message, from about 15th century, so I love it because it's new to me.

I actually heard a Christmas caroling concert last year that did NOT end with Silent Night! Didn't even include Silent Night! Yea!

Funny, I used to love all the traditional Christmas carols, now I'm tired of the same music year after year. Is it because Christmas music starts so much earlier each year, or am I just getting old and have head them all so often cumulatively?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

posted by Leo:
quote:

I like the cherry tree carol but i often sing an alternative lyric on the lines of 'Joseph popped her cherry in the land of Galilee.

Mary eats her cherries in the hymn you quote, after much suggestion about Jospeh plucking it for her. It's not entirely subtle!

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The second verse of the otherwise quite saccharine Candlelight Carol always moves me.
quote:
Shepherds and wise men will kneel and adore him;
Seraphim round him their vigil will keep;
Nations proclaim him their Lord and their Saviour;
But Mary will hold him and sing him to sleep.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One I only recently discovered that is now my favorite is "See Amid the Winter Snow", closely followed by the Holst setting of "In the Bleak Midwinter" (sorry, but the Darke version just leaves me cold). "Jeanette Isabelle" is also lovely.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lately, I've had Artisan's version of Down in Yon Forest on repeat on my MP3 player (they sing it under the title "All Bells in Paradise".) I also love this version of The Seven Joys of Mary.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
The choir I sing with have been practising the Welsh carol Tua Bethlem Dref for a concert we're doing on Monday. Unfortunately I can't find a decent recording of it online but it is new to me, and very beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjOE-336qo

I'm from Wales myself I am, but had never heard of that. I'm into teaching my Polish family and friends carols they don't know, so perhaps I'll try with this [Smile]

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When carol-singing a couple of days ago we did 'While Shepherds Watched' to the 'Ilkley Moor Bar t'At' tune at a rousing tempo whenever we got too cold, as it brings on one of those knee-bend, bob up and down, repetitive dance motions.

Favourite Rutter carol to listen to this year is Dormi Jesu

[Code tidied.]

[ 14. December 2012, 19:04: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

Too late to edit post due to a Rutter-inspired trance and I forgot to preview. The link for 'Dormi Jesu' is here

I also love Noel Nouvelet partly because it's such a good tune, but also because of singing 'Now the Green Blade Riseth' to the same tune (albeit slower) at Eastertide.

Christmas and Easter sharing musical links is something which also occurs in my home parish on Good Friday, when the priest processes the crucifix and intones 'This is the wood of the cross, on which hung the Saviour of the world'. The congregation sings 'Venite Adoremus, venite adoremus, venite adoremus, Dominum' (Adeste Fideles / O Come, all ye Faithful tune). It made me go 'huh?' the first time but afterwards realised it was a poignant inclusion.

[ 14. December 2012, 18:18: Message edited by: Huntress ]

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was born of an English-reared mother and a French Canadian father. Some of my favourite Christmas carols have already been mentioned.

Unto Us a Son is born.
Il est né
Adeste Fideles (Latin please, by preference)
Minuit, Chretiens! (sorry, piglet. The French version gives me tingles) (English - O Holy night which I have only heard massacred.)
Ça bergers, assemblons-nous
Dans cette étable

As I grew older, I still like Past three o'clock.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I was born of an English-reared mother and a French Canadian father. Some of my favourite Christmas carols have already been mentioned.

Unto Us a Son is born.
Il est né
Adeste Fideles (Latin please, by preference)
Minuit, Chretiens! (sorry, piglet. The French version gives me tingles) (English - O Holy night which I have only heard massacred.)
Ça bergers, assemblons-nous
Dans cette étable

As I grew older, I still like Past three o'clock.

"Oh holy night" makes me want to [Projectile] . It is the most trite load of translatese I have ever heard. The French words are very erm.....French but they have a definite dignity and beauty to them. I shall have to find a choir ready to sing them.

Mind you, as we're doing Quittez, Pasteurs for Epiphany, we might even manage it next year with my smaller choir - here's hoping!

As for my nomination, the Norman tune to Away in a Manger does a lot to refresh the whole thing.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
One I only recently discovered that is now my favorite is "See Amid the Winter Snow", closely followed by the Holst setting of "In the Bleak Midwinter" (sorry, but the Darke version just leaves me cold). "Jeanette Isabelle" is also lovely.

Yes, "See Amid the Winter Snow" is great to belt out the chorus, but I'm unlikely to encounter it in church over here. It is on the CD recommended here by Adrienne to mousethief, which I also ordered and which arrived this week.

It's about time to load up the car with Messiah and start slotting in the carols, beginning with the Advent stuff.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huntress:
When carol-singing a couple of days ago we did 'While Shepherds Watched' to the 'Ilkley Moor Bar t'At' tune at a rousing tempo whenever we got too cold

I shall be singing that version tomorrow at the yearly Richard III Society carol service at his birthplace, Fotheringhay in Northamptonshire.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had Rutter's version of Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day going round my head this week. Which is another one where all 11 verses go right through to Easter.

I've been glad to discover that the SiriusXM radio that came with my lovely new-to-me car has a "Holiday Pops" channel that plays classical Christmas-themed pieces, so lots of carols, cathedral choirs, Anonymous 4, all that good stuff. It's made my winter drives most pleasant.

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While helping decorating The Intrepid Miss. S and her fiance's Christmas tree, I heard 'Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence' by Gustav Holst played - quite straight - on sax. [Angel] Never heard it before, but it was so lovely I made the boys track it down on Soundhound and now it's been my earworm for at least a week.

Mrs. S, wishing she could REALLY sing

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, along the lines of what Moo said upthread, I once heard a gifted 10 year old sing "Come unto him, all ye that are heavy laden" from Handel's Messiah, and it still brings tears to my eyes thinking of it probably 30 years on - her rendition was spot-on, and her voice soared through the church on angel's wings, it just filled the place with unpretentious beauty.

Michael Card has some good songs on his CD "The Promise" I like "Shepherds Watch" Shepherds watch. The songs are not musical and orchestral masterpieces, but could be performed easily in smaller churches; and I find his lyrics to be very poetic.

Thanks for all the links, i shall have to browse through them if I can find some time!

Merry Christmas!

ETA: since I CP'd with a couple others, Ianna, Sirius also has 17 for more contemporary Christmas stuff (not always to my taste, but still good mostly) and 75 for the real long-hair stuff- classical Christmas - they also have jazz and country all Christmas, but I forget the numbers.

[ 17. December 2012, 14:03: Message edited by: TomOfTarsus ]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
While helping decorating The Intrepid Miss. S and her fiance's Christmas tree, I heard 'Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence' by Gustav Holst played - quite straight - on sax. [Angel] Never heard it before, but it was so lovely I made the boys track it down on Soundhound and now it's been my earworm for at least a week.

The tune is Picardy, a French carol tune found in many hymnbooks and dating from long before Holst.. Not sure where/if Holst comes into it. Perhaps in the organ part, or the Amens (why Amen, anyway?). The acoustic just about drowns the choir (just as well, IMO). It is, of course, NOT the choir of York Minster.

Just FYI.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

The tune is Picardy, a French carol tune found in many hymnbooks and dating from long before Holst.. Not sure where/if Holst comes into it. Perhaps in the organ part, or the Amens (why Amen, anyway?). The acoustic just about drowns the choir (just as well, IMO). It is, of course, NOT the choir of York Minster.

Just FYI.

Granted there are much better renditions on YouTube, but the whole words/tune combo is just lovely.

Mrs. S, still wishing

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't say it's my favorite carol but I really like an Italian one called "Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle". It was written by St. Alphonsus Liguori and is often heard at the end of Midnight Mass from St. Peter's Basilica. You can hear it at the link below where the've also posted the lyrics in Italian and English (but turn down the volume on your computer because the music plays automatically).

Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016