homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The best mince pie anyone can buy (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The best mince pie anyone can buy
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year I want to eat at least one of the best mince pies on the market. So which is it?
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Home made. Made with a dash of brandy and orange zest [Smile]

[ 10. December 2012, 16:31: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Tangent* My parents recently went to a 'Tudor Christmas' Evening and brought home some traditional mincemeat pies which contained minced lamb and dried fruit and they were one of the best things I've ever tasted.*End tangent*

As regards buying, I can't think of a particular brand right now but personally I like them with things like cherries and nuts in because I find some mincemeat to be just too much without more neutral flavours to break it up.

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
This year I want to eat at least one of the best mince pies on the market. So which is it?

When you find out, let me know. I've been disappointed so far with the supermarket brands I've tried.

A good mince pie shouldn't be too sweet, the mincemeat shouldn't be vinegary, the pastry shouldn't be thick and cloying and covered in sugar, and should have a pleasant buttery taste. Filling should not be skimped on and there should not be any nuts in it.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Same here! Orange zest (and a little juice) in the pastry makes a big difference. Home made mincemeat, cooked gently so the suet melts is another plus.

btw, does anyone else make them with a macaroon style topping? Try it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if they're generally available, but Sainsburys here stock Ecclefechan Tarts.

I much prefer them to mince pies.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the best mince pie is not one you've bought. It's a dozen that you've made.
My mum refuses to make any before advent sunday or after epiphany. She makes lots in between!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waitrose in Abergavenny have mincemeat and ginger tarts - open mince pies made with ginger pastry and topped with stem ginger. Mmmmm....
They also have meringue topped mince tarts which look good.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I'll have to see if I can find my grandmother's recipe that started out with "a large piece of roast beef", although I expect it would require some further additions (I like the orange zest idea) to bring it up to standard.
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheesymarzipan:
My mum refuses to make any before advent sunday or after epiphany. She makes lots in between!

Will she adopt me for Christmas?
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You need to add a little grated apple to the mincemeat to make it good. In addition to soaking the raisins in booze. And make your pastry really, really short.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greggs mince pies are excellent - only surpassed by fresh ones made at home.

(Added: it helps that Greggs have moved to opposite the Vicarage side gate... [Razz] )

[ 10. December 2012, 20:01: Message edited by: AberVicar ]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the secret, with home made mince pies anyway, is to make them small - a mere treaspoon of mincemeat in each, so that each mince pie is a mouthful of buttery, crisp pastry with a small burst of ntense mincemeat flavour.

After years of not very satisfactory home made mincemeat, I've decided the way forward is to gussy up a jar of bought - you add more raisins, grated apple, spice, grated ginger, glacé cherries, candied peel and lemon zest and such like, together with brown sugar and brandy. Then you put the resulting mixture back into two or more sterilised jars. I don't know why this is better than purely home made stuff, but it is. (Oh, yes, a good addition is also frozen butter, grated in.)

[ 10. December 2012, 21:53: Message edited by: Niminypiminy ]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your mother's pies are always the best.

My mother used rum, not brandy to preserve the fruit. I think it's better, it is certainly different.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mince pies are scarcer than hen's teeth here. It's my very, very favorite pie in the world! Mom used to make pies with Nonesuch filling. Not bad for store bought. D-U tried unsuccessfully to get one for Thanksgiving. Most places had never heard of a mince pie.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Nonesuch fan here. I use two jars per pie, and add brandy soaked apple pieces before baking.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two per pie is right, Graven Image ! I like the brandy soaked apple idea.

We used to be able to get the boxed version that needed to be boiled with orange juice or apple juice to rehydrate it. Good times.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Costa Coffee do quite a nice one at this time of year, it's an open, flat pie, the mincemeat isn't too sweet and the pastry is nice and crisp.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
quote:
Originally posted by cheesymarzipan:

Will she adopt me for Christmas?
I'm not sure if she makes so many now we've left home. My dad can't quite eat so many on his own.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
btw, does anyone else make them with a macaroon style topping? Try it.

We have frangipane topped pie. Yum. Laziness occasionally dictates making it in one big tin as a cut-and-come-again, although I believe in these parts they should be manger-shaped for true believers.

Re: buying pies. I've not had them, but Lidl has tasty versions of other baked Christmas goods: stollen etc.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lido and Aldi are German so I expect they would have good stollen. Sadly I don't live near a branch.

We haven't made mincemeat this year, but we usually use Delia's recipe. Hugal makes 'Hungarian paste' - pastry with a little brandy and cream in the mix.

(Mental note to self: make mincemeat early in autumn 2014 to take to jedijudy during our next Orlando trip...!)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Waitrose in Abergavenny have mincemeat and ginger tarts - open mince pies made with ginger pastry and topped with stem ginger. Mmmmm....
They also have meringue topped mince tarts which look good.

And they taste good too!
Making your own? A friend of mine, Sister Bernadette, gave me a recipe which started: "Have ready a large glass of white wine/gin and tonic/sherry. Take large slurps between each step of the instructions."
I never got to the end of the recipe but ended up very happy before staggering out the next day to the supermarket for ready-made ones.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago one of the newspapers made a comparison of mince pies from different supermarkets. I can't remember the exact outcome, but I think it was a shocker - Aldi or Lidl, rather than M&S or Waitrose. If you're willing to splash out, you could do your own little survey with, say, five boxes from different shops, and see how they compare.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
(Mental note to self: make mincemeat early in autumn 2014 to take to jedijudy during our next Orlando trip...!)

Yes!!! [Yipee]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I'm pretty excited to able to get hold of mincemeat at all. Once again I thank the Almighty for the arrival of Marks & Sparks on the Champs Elysées. I don't think I could even make my own, because I don't know where I'd get suet from. I am going to make my own pastry tho.

On Sunday afternoon some French people are coming round my house to practise the cello. I am going to initiate them into one of the joys of an English Christmas. [Smile]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just had my works do at Jamie's in Oxford (a chain restaurant by Jamie Oliver). The mince pies there were incredible. Seriously not for the traditionalist though, they were done with crispy filo pastry, and fruit all mixed into the layers - more like a danish pastry than an English pie. I loved them!

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Quinquireme
Shipmate
# 17384

- Posted      Profile for Quinquireme   Email Quinquireme   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you make your own, add a couple of egg yolks, some ground almonds and lemon zest to the pastry. Yum!
Posts: 56 | From: SE London | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some TV chefs were making a version with orange zest and juice in the pastry, which sounds worth a whirl.

It's entirely possible I have a jar of mincemeat in the cupboard from last year's good - but unrealised - intentions.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
I think the secret, with home made mince pies anyway, is to make them small - a mere treaspoon of mincemeat in each, so that each mince pie is a mouthful of buttery, crisp pastry with a small burst of ntense mincemeat flavour.

I do something like this for our hot Christmases where we don't need heavy foods for cold weather.
I use puff pastry so that each pie is just one light puffy mouthful.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to say I normally use the recipe on BBC Food for my mincemeat, one year I couldn't get hold of any suet so I used margarine (yes really) instead and the mincemeat tasted the best ever. I always make my mincemeat using margarine now.

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Recipe please?

As a kid I loved mince meat but in recent decades they've gotten sweeter and sweeter, and no longer contain any suet.

[ 12. December 2012, 15:07: Message edited by: Belle Ringer ]

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything without candied peel in it. Candied peel is made by collecting the bits chipped off of Satan's feet when he visits the podiatrist.

[ 12. December 2012, 15:15: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Anything without candied peel in it. Candied peel is made by collecting the bits chipped off of Satan's feet when he visits the podiatrist.

Seconded. Unless you make your own or it is of the very best quality, such as is used in tutti frutti ice cream and costs about Ł5 per 100 grams, replace it with dried apricots.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine. But you have to bid at the church Auction of Promises if you want to buy them. This year they would have set you back a pretty penny - a dozen went for Ł25 by the time the hammer came down. Better settle for these instead.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Agreed - YUK!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
A few years ago one of the newspapers made a comparison of mince pies from different supermarkets. I can't remember the exact outcome, but I think it was a shocker - Aldi or Lidl, rather than M&S or Waitrose. If you're willing to splash out, you could do your own little survey with, say, five boxes from different shops, and see how they compare.

It depends on the paper that did the survey.

The Torygraph says M&S are best.
Grauniad says Waitrose.
Independent say Tesco.

Could it be that the politics of the paper is more important than the flavour when making a decision.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
replace it with dried apricots.

That's going from bad to worse.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that you can make your own pastry fairly easily, perhaps the question should be: 'Which mincemeat to buy?' This year I'm trying Buckfast Tonic Wine Mincemeat for the first time. Will keep you posted as to what it's like.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

Grauniad says Waitrose.
Independent say Tesco.

As with any supermarket, though, there's a bit of difference between the Value/Basic Mince Pies and the Finest/Best Mince Pies. We don't know what they sampled for the purposes of the survey - I think we should be told.

Personally I prefer puff pastry. They usually skimp on the filling in shortcrust ones, and you get more pastry than mincemeat. The M&S lattice ones are nice, though.

(Somewhere out there is the Perfect Mince Pie and I'll just have to persevere until I locate it...)

Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made these mince pie cookies last weekend, with doctored Cross & Blackwell mincemeat (all I could find in the States) and they were absolutely yummy. All the best bits of a mince pie - very buttery, crisp pastry, and the mincemeat flavour, with a lot less faff. Small cookies worked better than larger ones - one or two bites - because they are so very rich.

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe not for the best mince pies, but last year I made a Mince Pie Icecream Triangle Log. (recipe and photo here)

Delicious. And during the year, I won a photo competition with the picture of it!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Purely in the interests of research, I'm eating one of Sainsbury's Orange & Cranberry mince pies. Definitely an acidic note to the mincemeat and a strong orange flavour. But obviously I'll have to do comparison tasting with the brandy flavoured ones, plus an Ecclefechan tart to give a definitive ruling.
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the best mincemeat recipe I've found after a lot of experimentation. Wonderfully moist and boozy. Doesn't much matter what the pastry's like with this inside it! I do like a frangipane or crumble topping though as it's lighter. Or even marzipan.

Hettie Potter's Suet-Free Mincemeat

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:

Grauniad says Waitrose.
Independent say Tesco.

Could it be that the politics of the paper is more important than the flavour when making a decision.

Sounds like a good survey to take part in. How many of each do I need to eat to make sure its statistically valid?

[ 15. December 2012, 09:43: Message edited by: Truman White ]

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
This is the best mincemeat recipe I've found after a lot of experimentation. Wonderfully moist and boozy...

Hettie Potter's Suet-Free Mincemeat

The recipe says "very alcoholic apple flavour actually as it contains both cider and brandy." Showing my ignorance: it has only a few tablespoons of brandy, is that the "lots of alcohol" or is the cider alcoholic? (I guess some liquor stores might have hard cider?)
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belle Ringer,
To me the word "cider" means it is alcoholic. Otherwise it's known as sparkling apple juice.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the States is the only place where "cider" is assumed to be non-alcoholic (though, usually, also spiced, and, just as often, hot).

The States is also a mince pie desert. I think I've only ever had them once, at an archer's Christmas party when I was studying in Oxford. Seeing as that party ended in me stumbling down High Street with a bowl of mince pies with a paper crown and eye patch from a cracker before losing my taste for ruby port forever . . . well, yeah. I think it's high time I had more mince pies.

One problem ruling out homemade, though: my mother absolutely hates mince pies. Can't see the point, just has bad memories of them, even ones made from good recipes. While I realize any mince pie she would have had would almost certainly have been hooch-free, her position on mincemeat pies is unequivocal. How do I get my mince pie fix before/during my time at home for Christmas without violating her "no making mincemeat in my kitchen!" rule? In other words, can you get good mince pies in the mid-Atlantic?

Please help. There may have been only one good thing to happen that night, but that part needs to happen again.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Heating - and spicing - cider sounds mildly evil to me. But then I like a very dry cider, preferably a varietal like Katy. At 7.4% ABV it's quite strong - most commercial UK ciders would be in the 4 - 5% range.
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I think the States is the only place where "cider" is assumed to be non-alcoholic (though, usually, also spiced, and, just as often, hot).

Cider didn't count as alcohol when I was at Taize about fifteen years ago.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

When I was a kid you'd buy a jug of "apple cider" meaning apple juice with the "meat" of the apple in it, not clarified juice, let it sit a bit and have hard cider. Now they put something in it to prevent turning.

Last night I surfed about cider and saw that in USA it used to be the most popular workman's drink, no one is sure why it is uncommon anymore, prohibition was anti all alcohol so it wouldn't be that. One page thinks the beer industry worked to kill the cider industry, beer being the primary competitor.

What's the alcohol percentage of standard cider? I have some "hard cider" from the beer section of the grocery, it's 3.2. That doesn't sound boozy enough to be a good preservative or get people interested in the booze aspect of mince pie.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016