homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The King of the Geeks

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The King of the Geeks
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Guillermo Del Toro's new film Pacific Rim has just released a trailer featuring giant robots punching monsters in the face, and a guest role by GLaDOS herself!!

For me, this, and his previous work on Hellboy and Blade, makes him a strong contender for the Crown of Geekdom.

However, he faces a mighty challenge, as the other contenders are pretty strong.

Who do you think should wear the crown?

Is it Joss Whedon, lauded for his work on The Avengers, Buffy and Firefly.

Or how about JJ Abrams - for Lost, Fringe, and Star Trek.

Or are you still loyal to the Dark Emperor himself, George Lucas?

Or perhaps your money's on an outside contender. Sam Mendes anyone? Has Peter Jackson done enough?

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ProgenitorDope
Apprentice
# 16648

- Posted      Profile for ProgenitorDope   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to leave some room for Christopher Lee.

Just top of my head, the guy was: Saruman(and served as creative consultant for those movies), a Bond villain, a Star Wars villain, Dracula, a villain in a cheesy Captain America movie from the 70's, in Kingdom Hearts II (a Disney/Final Fantasy crossover video game) and I'm told he released a power metal album a few years ago.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely Leonard Nimoy has to be in the hierarchy somewhere. Not only does he own the iconic role in all of geekdom, he parlayed that role into a lifetime of guest appearances and voice work in science fiction, video games, and TV science and history shows.

Look at it this way- (***Fringe Season One Spoiler alert***) the big twist at the end of Season One of Fringe consisted mainly of the fact that this William Bell character we had been hearing about all season was going to be played by Nimoy. What other actor's appearance would be enough to count as a season finale shocker?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote for Joss Whedon. In addition to the list of movies/TV shows (and we should add "Angel" to the list) he also has carved a respected niche in writing comic books, including X-Men. And in the realm of music, there is the classic Buffy Musical episode.

[ETA: Oh! And "Dollhouse" was his, too]

[ 13. December 2012, 17:34: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is one prolific writer/producer/director made his name on SF and returns to it from time to time.

So for Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, ET, through to Minority report. Not to mention the rebirth of the monster movie that was Jaws that continues with Jurasic Park. Steven Speilberg has to be the King of the Geeks for recent films. Unless success disqualifies him from crown.

Another who is disqualified for being successful is James Cameron who has a good sifi pedigree. He's also disqualifies for Avatar, which was shit.

But even they are insignificant compared to the granddaddy of them all. Undisputed King of the Geek film makers has to be Ray Harryhausen.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016