homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What's in a (Papal) Name?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What's in a (Papal) Name?
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably a strange question, but I have a book at home about the history of the papacy, and I am fascinated by some of regnal names that popes have chosen in the past.

I know that the earliest popes did not change their given or birth names on their accession to the papacy, and that the custom started in the 10th. Since then, a new pope's choice of name often shows in what direction he wants his papacy to go, or which one of his predecessors he wants to honour or emulate, e.g. taking the regnal name Pius or Gregory might denote that a new pope would be a traditionalist or a conservative.

Why have there not been any popes called Urban, Innocent, Boniface, Gregory or Clement or Stephen in the last 200 or more years? Why did these regnal names fall out of favour? If any future pope were to choose a name such as Innocent or Urban what sort of papacy might we expect to see?

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably any new Pope Urban would want to show that he was down wid da yoof...
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always thought that I'd quite like to take 'Innocent Pius' were I to be elected.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to go to names that really fell out of favor for a while, how about John? We had 22 of them in the first 1300 years, but had to wait over 600 for another. I rather suspect John XXII and the Babylonian Captivity had a little something to do with that—oh, and nobody really wants a name that's already been used by an antipope.

Personally, I'm waiting for Hilarius II.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Presumably any new Pope Urban would want to show that he was down wid da yoof...

[Killing me] Very good!

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
who will dare to be Pius XIII?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarumriterules
Apprentice
# 16032

- Posted      Profile for Sarumriterules   Email Sarumriterules   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or Formosus? The last (and only) one got dug up a year after his death and was put on trial by his successor for being unworthy of the Pontificate. Tricky.

--------------------
Liber Sapientiae 1:11

Posts: 13 | From: Kent | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

Personally, I'm waiting for Hilarius II.

A (rather pagan) uncle of mine wrote a song once about Pope Hilarius. It began, IIRC

quote:
My name is Pope Hilarius
My jokes are many and various.
And all day long fresh tricks I plan
Up there inside the Vatican.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarumriterules:
Or Formosus? The last (and only) one got dug up a year after his death and was put on trial by his successor for being unworthy of the Pontificate. Tricky.

Oh they just want to do that to faded out-of-date dead DJs these days.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always thought Joan was a lovely name for a pope...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pasco
Shipmate
# 388

- Posted      Profile for Pasco   Email Pasco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
who will dare to be Pius XIII?

(Psst, I'm Under Suspicion) XII

[Helping ‘Im To Lead ‘Ere Reich]

[Razz]

Posts: 997 | From: Domiciling 'ere, living locally. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pasco
Shipmate
# 388

- Posted      Profile for Pasco   Email Pasco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I've always thought Joan was a lovely name for a pope...

"I'm Pope (Joking Only, Am Not)" - ?
Posts: 997 | From: Domiciling 'ere, living locally. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016