homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Odd Characters in your Nativity Scene

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Odd Characters in your Nativity Scene
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have any odd characters in your home nativity scene?

We have a wooden scene that was carved by my wife's grandfather. Last year, while we were decorating the house, I put the tree ornament that looks like our dog in the middle of the nativity scene. It started as a joke, but then we decided that we liked the idea of our Tuesday keeping the holy family safe. So it stayed, and we intend to add representatives of any dogs that we may own in the future.

Anyone other than the standard cast of characters in your home nativity scene?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a home nativity but my church does a nativity play without rehearsal and some rather odd characters turn up at the stable. This year we had a dragon, a rabbit and a fireman as well as the usual shepherds, wise men and the little girls in fairy outfits being angels.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if you have a dragon in a wooden stable full of straw, then a fireman is a wise decision....

I can just imagine it. Aaachoo. Oh shit. Sorry. Everyone, back to burning bulls. We'll try again when dragons are extinct.

I have some friends where our Christmas tradition, well mine really, is to hide baby Jesus somewhere in their lounge.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My home nativity group is carved wood figures (Haitian mahagony). Characters are Mary, Joseph, Babe-&-cradle (one piece), 1 shepherd, 2 sheep, cow, donkey, 3 kings.

To which have been added over the years carved African animal figures (in roughly the same scale), so there are now leopard, black elephant, lion, and what is perhaps an eland?

Someday I'll find an angel figure that maybe matches.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours has a reindeer, which is at least a bit Christmassy, if a little unlikely for the noughth century holy land.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend gave me a Nativity from Alaska. It has a moose, a bear and a wolf. The stable is an igloo. It stays on my china buffet all year!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not an addition but a subtraction: we did have one toddler at a Crib Service a year or two back who picked up Jesus and walked off with him (we got him back at the end of the service).

I'd love there to be a Dinosaur ... Or Three Little (amazingly kosher) Pigs ...

I did hear of a "dare" placed by a member of the chorus at Sadler's Wells theatre back in the 1960s, when singing in "The Mastersingers". The theatre had a rather small stage, and he bet that he could come on in the final crowd scene carrying a complete set of golf clubs and that no-one in the audience would notice.

It was an easy victory.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our nativity is white ceramic so when someone gave me a white ceramic Santa this year he seemed to fit right in. He stands respectfully off to the side, behind an angel. I figure he's the ghost of Christmas future.
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a turkey in mine! And it was actually marketed for Nativity scenes. I had no idea that turkeys were all that common in Bethlehem circa the year 0 A.D.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My nativity set started when I bought just the holy family from an Ecuadorian craftsman. I didn't have money or room in my suitcase to get a full set.

Over time, I've cobbled together stand-ins for the accoutrements. The role of Wise Men is performed by 3 owls (one ceramic, one plastic, one plush), tiny hedgehogs stand in for sheep, and there's a German shepherd. I have a plush Totoro as the angel, and there is also a random tiny plastic monster from a KinderSurprise egg paying homage.

I love it--reminds me of a Christmas Pageant in its mash-up of reverence and randomness.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We happen to have two smallish bird statues (?) in the house, and the nativity scene got set up right next to them. They look like giant dinosaurs about to eat the Holy Family.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a Peruvian nativity scene which I purchased several years ago in San Antonio at a huge market where there were lots of vendors from Central and South America. The nativity set is ceramic, all one piece, and all the people are in indigenous dress. The scene is covered with a blue dome with cut-out stars and has room to put a votive candle behind the Holy Family. But the best part is the Baby Jesus is being visited by a sheep and a llama.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought for sure this thread was going to be about the Caganer typical of traditional Catalan nativity scenes.

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago I remember seeing a delightfully odd mishmash of a Nativity scene on someone's front lawn here in Atlanta, GA. There was the usual suspects: Mary, baby Jesus, Joseph, the wise men, and angel or two and then there was an inflatable Santa Claus that tipped over next to the manger (too much Christmas cheer?), some reindeer, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny, and a statue of Elvis Presley! I thought it was great because I know that some people in that neighborhood are intolerant Southern Baptists and I pictured them having fits every time they saw that particular Nativity scene. [Biased]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One year in church, our littlies made a crib scene, doe some reason it included a crocodile...
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours is set up on a shelf already populated with ornaments this year, so the shepherds are in a field of elephants. They have also recently been joined by a plastic giraffe, escaped from Noah's ark.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ruudy:
I thought for sure this thread was going to be about the Caganer typical of traditional Catalan nativity scenes.

That was part of my inspiration, as well as the subject that got me to look beyond the Mystery Worshiper reports on the Ship.

The other half of my inspiration was the rambling sermon that the priest at my parents' church gives every year, in which he (a dog lover) mentions that there must have been dogs at the manger. Our dog has been a real "kingdom of heaven" parable; she looks like a 50 pound geriatric mutt, but to us, she is a source of much love and care.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Ours is set up on a shelf already populated with ornaments this year, so the shepherds are in a field of elephants. They have also recently been joined by a plastic giraffe, escaped from Noah's ark.

In previous years, there was a train passing through. The train done gone, as the song has it.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our set is missing Joseph but has a random women who I figure is the midwife. So Mary has a chat to her over the crib. Joseph has obviously nipped out to get nappies...
Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have the traditional Nativity set,which we have had for 25 years, plus a caganer that was bought in Fuerteventura in 2000, and a penguin, which has been a regular fixture since the youngest child was very small. It makes us smile [Smile]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The school in my parish had a Gruffalo in its nativity play this year. Apparently he sneaked in with the sheep...
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the sermon at our Christmas Eve service we learnt that 54% of children now believe Father Christmas was present at the birth of Jesus.

The oddest character in our Nativity stable one year was our ginger kitten. It decided to curl up and go to sleep in there before we got around to putting the model characters in position.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016