homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What can we do about racism? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What can we do about racism?
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the election thread, at least one otherwise- respected Shippie has claimed Obama won only because he was black.

quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
So, bullet points please, Why did Romney lose?

P

He lost because he is white. I've kind of scrolled back through, and I don't see anyone even alluding to the reality of Obama's win. He won because he is black, and there were people who voted for him who have never voted before, except maybe in 2008. I personally witnessed a man being turned away after it was discovered he had been purged from the rolls due to inactivity. I just think there were a lot of uninformed voters who knew nothing of his positions on marriage or his foreign policy, etc. They voted for him for one reason.

I'm not saying that's why everyone voted for him. But it is most certainly why he was reelected. I'd think someone here of all places would have the balls to say it.

Please: posters interested in debating whether Grits is right are invited to carry on elsewhere.

What I’d like to address is the fact that Grits observes that racism is apparently alive and well in these United (really?) States. Also on the election thread, posted maps show some congruence between former slave states and non-Obama states:

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Rather gruesome maps of the civil war era and current political voting. Spot the difference?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/63089_10151299959267177_1113898282_n.jpg

There’s even some modest backup elsewhere for this claim that Obama won because of his “race:” (sorry, but I personally object to the claim that Obama is black when he’s the offspring of a black father and a white mother, which in my mind makes him of mixed race, to the extent that there is any “race” other than “human”): It now appears
that some others may agree with Grits.

If American racism, esp. black-white racism, remains a problem in American society, what can Americans do about it? I mean us, individually, not just collectively.

The wide-spread practice of race-based slavery in this country ended 150 years -- some 5 generations -- ago. Widespread legal segregation of the races ended 2 generations ago. When, in the name of peace and virtue, do we move on to actual, practical, real, ordinary, day-to-day integration? And more to the point, HOW?

I say it's up to us as individuals. Gummint hasn't done it. Churches haven't done it. Schools haven't done it. BUT IT MUST BE DONE.

How?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Challenge it wherever we find it.

I was brought up in the most racist country on Earth (imo) - 1960s South Africa. So my racism 'button' is hair trigger.

My MIL was very racist, 99% due to ignorance. I challenged her on even the most mildly racist comments. Over the years she changed her stance completely.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
The wide-spread practice of race-based slavery in this country ended 150 years -- some 5 generations -- ago.

There is a reasonable argument to be made that aspects of the US prison system are very similar. See here. Add in three strikes laws, and steal three cars and you can be enslaved. Now as black americans are disproportionately criminalised ...

[ 11. November 2012, 12:26: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Embrace racists. Include them. Bless them. Love them. Lay our lives down at their feet. For them.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Racism will never be eliminated. It is a facet of our gregarious nature.
It needn't, however, be accepted. By challenging racist attitudes, we can reduce its influence.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's why we'll always have it as we do. By challenging it alone. The English Defense League needs LOVING to the point where it can't be racist, can't BE. Or do we just drive them underground?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are a much better person than I, Martin.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Us' and 'Them' is natural to human beings. We do it all of the time. We feel safe with 'us', while 'they' are the unknown outsiders, maybe even the enemy. There is the key. They must stop being outsiders, and start being fellow human beings: brothers and sisters in the human family. Until everyone is ready to mix with everyone else, the 'ism's' won't be stamped out.

Encourage everything that gets people to mix, whatever their age/ colouring/ background/ religion/ wealth/ political affiliation/ fashion sense, etc: schools, clubs, forums, religious services, you name it. Don't exclude anyone. Make the effort yourself to meet people outside of those you're naturally drawn to, and get to know them.

Discourage any talk of 'them' you hear, and avoid closed/exclusive meetings or try to open them up.

It will take time, but with the will it can be done. The goal is worth it.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

lilBuddha I shake my head in tears. If you could only see - and you're welcome to - what I've just posted on Waving Not Drowning.

And again, tears mate. I'm a HORRIBLE sod. We are ALL at the same level in our inadequacy. We are COLLECTIVE sinners. Hence OUR Father.

I'm burned out and bottomed out with fear and loathing and the ONLY way up is out. Not getting out - although getting out more is essential - but reaching out.

The EDL are THE POOR. Racism and homophobia are manifestations of POVERTY. Of the lack of righteousness which means SOCIAL JUSTICE. Nothing else. Holiness, righteousness what EMPTY words we hide behind. And fear. Fear that we're not as Holy and as Righteous as God.

Damn right we're not.

There is inequity, fear, polarization, exclusion, elitism, escapism. Broad is the path of destruction TAKEN BY CHRISTIANS.

Me.

We are DAMNED, the apocalypse WILL yet come, if we continue to tyrannize ANYONE with us and them.

Amen come Lord Jesus.

Please!

[ 11. November 2012, 14:47: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember some 15 years ago being at a Christian run International student hostel in central London. At one four person table there was a white guy, black guy, Chinese looking and a South Asian looking guy, all happily chatting together. It would have been wildly inappropriate to say anything at the time, but I was suitably encouraged; it was obviously just natural for this to happen. Which is the point: where it isn't a big deal, racism will tend to fade. The challenge is to find ways to ensure natural social mixing: one of the most worrying trends in the UK at present is the de facto segregation along race lines of SOME northern cities. Can our American brethren point to any evidence about the effectiveness or otherwise of the 'school bussing' projects that were so fashionable in some circles some decades ago?

Overall the lessons of recent history are not terribly encouraging: I'm not aware of any society in the modern world where there is a substantial ethnic minority where this doesn't cause problems. Can anyone point to one? [I'm inclined to suggest Singapore, but don't know enough to be confident about that]. In the Roman Empire, it is sometimes suggested that race wasn't an issue - there are claims that Augustine of Hippo was black - but this happened as a result of the unsubtle long term imposition of a dominant ruling culture in a way that is not generally acceptable today, though France has tried that route in recent years without a great deal of success. Certainly where there is a religious divide along ethnic grounds - as seen in practice in both the US and the UK with white and black churches, not just Mosques - this makes integration a lot harder.

The only example I'm aware of where real integration has been achieved is the US armed forces. There a clear policy of being colour blind in promotions has paid dividends, but this has had the advantage of being in a closed institution with the ability to centrally impose and police colour free attitudes; attempts to impose that sort of control in an open society are probably unenforceable.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing we can do is change the way we interpret data. For example, the data posited in the OP:

quote:
On the election thread, at least one otherwise- respected Shippie has claimed Obama won only because he was black.

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pyx_e:
[qb] So, bullet points please, Why did Romney lose?

P

He lost because he is white. I've kind of scrolled back through, and I don't see anyone even alluding to the reality of Obama's win. He won because he is black, and there were people who voted for him who have never voted before, except maybe in 2008. I personally witnessed a man being turned away after it was discovered he had been purged from the rolls due to inactivity. I just think there were a lot of uninformed voters who knew nothing of his positions on marriage or his foreign policy, etc. They voted for him for one reason.

I'm not saying that's why everyone voted for him. But it is most certainly why he was reelected.

It sounds like initially this data (greater #s of previously inactive black voters coming out to vote for Obama) was presented as evidence of "reverse racism". But another way of looking at it is precisely the opposite-- of evidence that finally, some healing is coming. That citizens who once felt so disenfranchised that they believed there was no point in voting, now feel their vote, their voice, matters. Perhaps it is not so much about who they voted for, but rather simply that they did. That they now feel engaged in the process of shaping the values and direction of the nation. Surely that is a very good thing.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that you need to differentiate what are broadly the three types of racism. Personally-mediated, which is bigoted assumptions about others, stereotyping and discriminating based on race. Then there is internalized, in which people who have historically been marginalized and racially stigmatized begin to believe the stereotypes about themselves and it affects self worth and leads to self destructive behaviors. Finally, there is institutionalized racism where practices, policies and structures social, economic, municipal and political are in place that favor one race (in America that is white) and act as an impediment to others. This can be underfunding of minority schools, racial police profiling, a difference in lending practices etc.
This link uses the example of the Albina neighborhood of Portland to illustrate how segregation and neighborhood disinvestment works. Whites in Albina now brag how they saved the neighborhood from blacks who didn't care (thus perpetuating a completely untrue negative stereotype) without ever acknowledging that they did care but were systematically denied services and investment.
They are three heads of the same beast and just being nice to each other isn't going to solve the whole problem.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Without being nice to each other, to ALL others, we haven't got a hope in hell.

--------------------
Love wins

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Embrace racists. Include them. Bless them. Love them. Lay our lives down at their feet. For them.

That, I take it, is Christian Theory. I am wondering , though, whether the racist might receive all this tenderness as positive reinforcement and/or affirmation for her/his racism?

quote:
That's why we'll always have it as we do. By challenging it alone. The English Defense League needs LOVING to the point where it can't be racist, can't BE. Or do we just drive them underground?

And underground, I suspect, is where we’ve driven the personal kinds of racism mentioned below by Art Dunce with more institutional responses.

@Boogie: Has your MIL really changed? Is it possible she’s simply changed in your company, because she’s learned you don’t approve?

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
'Us' and 'Them' is natural to human beings.

I wonder about this. Is it really? I had recent occasion to meet with a colleague in our Early Intervention program. While waiting for my colleague, I observed two moms, each with a toddler, waiting to be seen in our waiting area. The moms (of different races) were not interacting. The two babies went for each other like magnets; they were enchanted with each other. It looked like a case of love at first sight.

Maybe “us and them” is natural, or becomes so, with adult human beings, after negative experiences interpreted as due to “otherness.”

quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
I think that you need to differentiate what are broadly the three types of racism. Personally-mediated, which is bigoted assumptions about others, stereotyping and discriminating based on race. Then there is internalized, in which people who have historically been marginalized and racially stigmatized begin to believe the stereotypes about themselves and it affects self worth and leads to self destructive behaviors. Finally, there is institutionalized racism where practices, policies and structures social, economic, municipal and political are in place that favor one race (in America that is white) and act as an impediment to others. This can be underfunding of minority schools, racial police profiling, a difference in lending practices etc.
This link uses the example of the Albina neighborhood of Portland to illustrate how segregation and neighborhood disinvestment works. Whites in Albina now brag how they saved the neighborhood from blacks who didn't care (thus perpetuating a completely untrue negative stereotype) without ever acknowledging that they did care but were systematically denied services and investment.
They are three heads of the same beast and just being nice to each other isn't going to solve the whole problem.

Thanks for this.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

@Boogie: Has your MIL really changed? Is it possible she’s simply changed in your company, because she’s learned you don’t approve?

She's no longer with us, but I knew she'd changed when I overheard her picking someone else up on a racist comment.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wonder about this. Is it really? I had recent occasion to meet with a colleague in our Early Intervention program. While waiting for my colleague, I observed two moms, each with a toddler, waiting to be seen in our waiting area. The moms (of different races) were not interacting. The two babies went for each other like magnets; they were enchanted with each other. It looked like a case of love at first sight.

Maybe “us and them” is natural, or becomes so, with adult human beings, after negative experiences interpreted as due to “otherness.”

I agree that "us and them" is usually applied in accordance with whatever has been absorbed through influence since birth. I think it is affected too by the level of confidence/ degree of insecurity within a person/ community. It's far wider than skin colour.

Perhaps at birth it's in embryo form, ready to develop, but by observation it's a natural human tendency.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
[QB It's far wider than skin colour.
[/QB]

It is indeed, but colour is the easiest differentiation and the one most difficult to disguise. Therefore will like remain the most insidious version.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very interested in this thread....without going into details at all, our family is currently embroiled in racist nonsense. But because it is my family members (who i love) who are being appalling it is easier to take on board Martin's words.

For how can I do any other?

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This topic brings to mind something that happened last week. I was hanging out chatting with a couple of folks when a new couple came in the bar. He was white, she was black. A couple of regulars and I ended up talking to her for several hours and she told me she had been afraid to come in my bar because she didn't know if we let black people in. [Eek!] . It just about broke my heart that a person should, in this day and age, be afraid to go anywhere because he or she happens to have a better tan than someone else. Absolute BS!

I've posted elsewhere on the Ship that I have gotten a bit of a reputation, in circles I absolutely care nothing about, because I let "n... drink in my bar just like regular people" I have been told I should charge black people higher prices than white people so they won't come back. I have listened to one guy wax nostalgic about the days when a black man walking down the street was expected to step off the sidewalk, remove his cap and lower his eyes whn a white woman passed him. Stuff that makes me want to pour bleach in my ears in the hopes of cleansing my brain of this filth.

I can attest that racism is very much alive and well, at least in my part of the USA. It sucks and it makes me feel dirty and sometimes, it makes me despair for the future. But I try, lordy do I try, to do my little bit to combat the status quo.

I do not allow rascist talk. I do not allow anyone to give anyone else grief about skin color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, political affiliations or anything else we flawed humans use to distinguish "us" from "them". You get one warning, then you get asked to leave for the day. So far, I haven't had to bar anyone, and maybe, just maybe, I have helped open a couple of eyes, just a little bit, to the reality of our common humanity.

I may be a dreamer. I may be a wide-eyed pollyana, but I hope I am making some kind of small difference in my little part of the world. And, IMO, that is all any one of us can do.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:
The wide-spread practice of race-based slavery in this country ended 150 years -- some 5 generations -- ago.

There is a reasonable argument to be made that aspects of the US prison system are very similar. See here. Add in three strikes laws, and steal three cars and you can be enslaved. Now as black americans are disproportionately criminalised ...
I take your point, and the link you provide is an eye-opening prod to all of us about the encroaching reality of living within, or at least at the edge of, a police state. That said, I also think it's a subject worthy of its own thread.

I have to confess, in looking at the accompanying photo, I wondered: how many of these women were jailed for reacting violently to abuse visited on them by partners? How many for aiding and abetting, possibly under duress, the commission of crimes engineered by the men they live with? How many for "holding" drugs or pot for boyfriends or husbands?

Sexism may be a larger issue even than racism. And the stark corporate exploitation of the poor is probably an even larger issue than that, given that the U.S. seems busily adding to their numbers.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Segregation may have ended two generations ago, but the US is just getting back to level of racial integration in politics last seen during Reconstruction. That was the last attempt at comprehensive racial integration in US federal and state politics, and it failed by 1900. The last spark of inclusion was North Carolina in the 1890's. Jim Crow didn't spring into existence overnight right after the Civil War.

Right now the US is still burying the ghosts and failures of its political past. Unlike Reconstruction, this attempt looks like it will succeed.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

BessHiggs [Overused]

--------------------
Love wins

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If American racism, esp. black-white racism, remains a problem in American society, what can Americans do about it? I mean us, individually, not just collectively.

Easy peasy, this one.

Shack up with someone of a different race. Then rock-n-roll until it falls off. Recharge and repeat.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting article from NYT.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I had recent occasion to meet with a colleague in our Early Intervention program. While waiting for my colleague, I observed two moms, each with a toddler, waiting to be seen in our waiting area. The moms (of different races) were not interacting. The two babies went for each other like magnets; they were enchanted with each other. It looked like a case of love at first sight.

My wife's experience teaching at inner city (and hence, racially mixed) schools in two different countries would back up your observations, but not your suggested conclusion.

Her observation is that kids of different races interact without a single thought of the differences in how they look until someone (usually but not always a family member) points the differences out to them and teaches them (explicitly or implicitly) that people who look different from them are bad.

What I mean is that this kind of discrimination at the level of personal interactions (to differentiate from art dunce's other manifestations of racism) seems to be learned behavior. The fear of "Other" may be innate, but the perception of "Other" in people of different ethnicity is not.

I find that to be encouraging, because it means that challenging this form of racism in individuals may have some hope of succeeding in the long term.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I respectfully disagree that President Obama won another term simply because he was black. There were plenty of people I knew even on the Left Coast who label him a Muslim, non-Christian Socialist. His color seems to make him an easier target for some to hate.

I think his stance on some issues like Obamacare endeared him to some (like me, and I voted for Bush and McCain in the past 2 elections). I myself do not care about his color. I also grew up in the church he is part of, UCC.org, so I get mildily offended when people don't call him a Christian. I will go on record and say his writing "Present" when it came to voting on partial abortion really, really discouraged me. But I don't forsee a huge fight to push a live birth abortion agenda like others see, so I voted for him.

That said, his color probably helped him in some people's eyes who are of color for sure. That is a given. But I say to you, Herman Cain is a man of color and he lost. I don't think it really is so simple.

Racism is fought best with education, love and firm defiance. Just like gay rights are being fought for right now. I will now (another self-confession) go on record saying I voted for Prop 8 in California. I regret that choice. I have done a 180 stance on the gay rights issue. I will vote now for letting gays marry. Why? Because I feel God revealed it to me that they need the same rights as straights and they simply don't have them with civil unions. I found this out not only by reading up on the subject (Suze Orman for one explains it well), but because I love some gays that I refused to go to the wedding for. I have sat in their living rooms taking the frustration of not being able to marry while they care for children, older folks.

This is how you make change - being in community and reaching out. You don't do it by yelling, screaming or by posting articles on facebook that are like a red flag in front of a bull. I can't say I have done things the right way, but I can say that racism or any other marginalizing behavior comes from fear based attitudes.

God said love covers a multitude of sins. We need to love those racists, as Martin said.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused] It takes courage to change one's mind.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If there's any truth in the OP, it's worth bearing in mind that people have won US presidential elections for over 200 years because they were white. People who thought that was a Good Thing are just going to have to accustomise to a new reality.

[ 11. November 2012, 23:40: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is true that Obama won because of a coalition of minority groups coming together. White American males tended to vote for Mitt.

This past year whites actually lost their majority status in the US. Many are not ready to accept their new status. I think that is why Republicans tried to suppress the vote, and why they tried to make an issue of "illegal immigration."

Now Republican have begun to realize if they are going to continue to be a viable party, they will have to find a way to appeal to minorities. They can see if they do not reach out to Hispanics in particular Arizona, Texas and Georgia will be in play in the next election cycle.

Obama won because he out organized the Republicans. Republicans kept shooting themselves in the foot by advocating things that may have worked 50 years ago and thinking Americans would go down that old, tired path once again. Times have changed.

Yes, there is still racism in the US. Whenever I see it on other boards I will call it for what it is.

But we have come a long way since Martin Luther King Jr shared his dream at the Lincoln Memorial.

I would not be surprised, though, if next election cycle we will see a Latino American on the Republican ticket. But, just like Jackie Robinson integrated Major League baseball, and Earl Lloyd became the first black basketball player, someone had to be the first to break the color barrier and I am glad it is Obama.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

quote:

And a real generosity of spirit to share the story.

[ 11. November 2012, 23:48: Message edited by: art dunce ]

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
London schools, in which I worked all my life till I retired this summer, have children with over 300 different first-languages. The borough where I spent my last 6 years working is one of the most diverse.

There is racism, overt and subtle. But it's not simple. Just the other day, I was chatting to a black guy selling the Big Issue in my neighbourhood. Big Issue is a magazine which homeless/unemployed/etc people can sell on the street to get some income. So this was a man on the edge. The chat was genial and superficial until I'd bought a copy, then he started to complain bitterly about 'fucking Romanian gypsies' who were taking his business from him. 'Fucking East Europeans, what are they doing here?'

And almost 30 years ago, I put my house up for sale and accepted an offer from an Indian family. When I told my Bangladeshi neighbour, he asked who the buyer was and when I told him, he was appalled. 'Please don't do this. You don't know what this will mean for us.' As it happened the deal fell through and within days, I had an offer from my neighbour's brother.

It's a complex of material insecurity, fear, prejudice, cultural or national hostilities, and a whole load of other things. On the whole, I'd say being the world in a city works remarkably well here, but I wouldn't deny there are many problems. The answer? Just keep on mixing.

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and raise your kids right. keep a diverse circle of friends. your kids will learn to love all types of people, and when they become adults, will be unable to hate.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Raising children without prejudices is one step. However, unless you live in a cloistered environment, they will see the outside world and will be influenced by friends.
My nephew, out of nowhere we could tell, said something to the effect of all bad comes from white people. We had a talk with him, of course, but that came from without the family.

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
The fear of "Other" may be innate, but the perception of "Other" in people of different ethnicity is not.

Where everyone is the same colour, other factors are then used. It does not need to be this way, but often is.

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
This past year whites actually lost their majority status in the US.

That might be a perception. However, 72% still constitutes a majority.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No - as Paul puts it:
quote:
Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.”
If we are consistently exposed to things that challenge our beliefs with realities that undermine them, then we will tend to succumb to the pressure to conform to those other views, and then rationalise our rejection to make us feel better. This strategy has largely been successful in making the church willing to endorse the unconditional remarriage of divorced people, it's now in process on the gay issue and is even visible in attitudes to child safety and the health and safety culture that swaddles our children in cotton wool. Of course it's nothing new: Eve was deceived because the fruit was 'a delight to the eyes'. It takes courage to resist the crowd; going with the zeitgeist merely requires you to stop fighting and go with the flow, as with dead fish in a stream. [Projectile]

--------------------

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
quote:

No - as Paul puts it:
quote:
If we are consistently exposed to things that challenge our beliefs with realities that undermine them, then we will tend to succumb to the pressure to conform to those other views, and then rationalise our rejection to make us feel better. This strategy has largely been successful in making the church willing to endorse the unconditional remarriage of divorced people, it's now in process on the gay issue and is even visible in attitudes to child safety and the health and safety culture that swaddles our children in cotton wool. Of course it's nothing new: Eve was deceived because the fruit was 'a delight to the eyes'. It takes courage to resist the crowd; going with the zeitgeist merely requires you to stop fighting and go with the flow, as with dead fish in a stream. [Projectile]

Ender's Shadow,

If you want to take issue with what duchess has done, go address her directly, rather than through Doublethink who is a host on this board.

To suggest that gays, lesbians and those who tolerate them constitute "Bad company" shows you up for what you are.

btw, WTF has this to do with Health and Safety? Is this the only pony you've got?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
To suggest that gays, lesbians and those who tolerate them constitute "Bad company" shows you up for what you are.

OK - perhaps I should have expanded my phrasing to be 'LGBT people in same sex relationships and Christians who tolerate their relationships unquestioningly'. A fuller statement of my view is here. But given the way the case was being presented, it seemed clear that those in such sexual relationships were the category being referred to.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
If we are consistently exposed to things that challenge our beliefs with realities that undermine them, then we will tend to succumb to the pressure to conform to those other views, and then rationalise our rejection to make us feel better.

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

It's right to challenge racism wherever it is found, yes?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
If we are consistently exposed to things that challenge our beliefs with realities that undermine them, then we will tend to succumb to the pressure to conform to those other views, and then rationalise our rejection to make us feel better.

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

It's right to challenge racism wherever it is found, yes?

I think we need to watch our own internal reactions aggressively, and beware when we seem to be drifting away from total opposition; whether it is appropriate ALWAYS to publicly express dissent will be a matter for wisdom given the situation, sometimes there are more important matters to worry about. To take an extreme example, if a wife beater is sounding off about how good it is to beat her, or especially when really seeking help to stop, when he also makes some derogatory comments about blacks it's probably not wise to pursue that at the time.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
OK - perhaps I should have expanded my phrasing to be 'LGBT people in same sex relationships and Christians who tolerate their relationships unquestioningly'. A fuller statement of my view is here. But given the way the case was being presented, it seemed clear that those in such sexual relationships were the category being referred to.

You might consider the thread title: What can we do about racism? Personally, I can't see that your comments relate to this issue. Homophobia is a different prejudice, and you are free to have yours attacked elsewhere.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilbuddha:
quote:
Raising children without prejudices is one step. However, unless you live in a cloistered environment, they will see the outside world and will be influenced by friends.

<slight tangent here> Last week my daughter's class at school was learning about Guy Fawkes. The way the teacher put it, Guy Fawkes (and fellow Gunpowder Plotters) were angry with King James because he wouldn't let people be Catholics (it was a bit more complicated than that, but that was the gist). The children then had a class debate about whether or not King James was right. I am proud to report that my daughter was one of those (two, count them, TWO out of a class of thirty) arguing for religious tolerance. But I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when she revealed that she was (apparently) the only member of her class who knew that Catholics are Christians... [Help]
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We fight racism by teaching our children, and nurturing them in an environment where all people are of equal worth as people. We fight racism by standing up to it where we see it. We fight racism (and other-isms), first, by acknowledging our own innate prejudices, and working to remove them.

quote:

That's the hard one- realizing and accepting that they are also people of equal worth, albeit misguided ones. [Overused]

--

I focus on the education part, maybe because it's the easiest one. Adults (me included) are set in our ways, hard to change. Kids aren't born prejudiced- they learn it from the people around them. So we talk, teach, hope, and pray that the next generation will be just a little bit better than we were. Hope springs eternal. It's all we've got.

Though I must admit, I liked TSA's solution, as well... [Biased]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From the OP:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
[qb] So, bullet points please, Why did Romney lose?

P

He lost because he is white. I've kind of scrolled back through, and I don't see anyone even alluding to the reality of Obama's win. He won because he is black, and there were people who voted for him who have never voted before, except maybe in 2008.
So, it's playing the race card if some people chose to vote for Obama because he's black, but it's OK if some people chose to vote for Romney because he's white?

Or have I missed something?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please stick to racism (which is not a Dead Horse) and take any aspects of homosexuality out of this discussion and into Dead Horses.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:

No - as Paul puts it:
quote:

A word in your shell-like ear ...

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And aye Porridge, it's Christian theory because we don't practice it.

So, if we love murderers, as I'm currently called to do, a murderer at least, penitent, broken by it but pret-tee capable of it still, we encourage them in that?

If we LOVE racists, ignore their racism, see why they are racist, understand it, explore it, identify with it, embrace it, as God does our pecadilloes, but first and foremost LOVE them, the tattooed, 'ard as fuck skin 'ead scum-and-proud-of-it I've seen threatening on the streets of Leicester, really LOVE them, just as they are, meet them where they are, may be, like Satan on Judgement day, their hearts might melt a little.

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If we LOVE racists, ignore their racism, see why they are racist, understand it, explore it, identify with it, embrace it, as God does our pecadilloes, but first and foremost LOVE them, the tattooed, 'ard as fuck skin 'ead scum-and-proud-of-it I've seen threatening on the streets of Leicester, really LOVE them, just as they are, meet them where they are, may be, like Satan on Judgement day, their hearts might melt a little.

I agree with all the above except the bolded part. I see no precedent for "ignoring the racism" from Christ's ministry. I see Jesus doing all the other things you mention in reference to sinners-- loving them, understanding them, identifying with them. But I don't see any precedent for ignoring sin. In fact, it seems to me Jesus tends to confront sin head on, in that really annoying socially inappropriate way of his.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

I think we can attempt to look past their racism when it is confined to their thoughts/feelings since we understand that it is really based in fear and we can, as Christians, offer them the possible alternative of perfect love in Christ which casts out fear. But we can never ignore their racism when it is put into action. And we cannot underestimate the damage done when their individual racism becomes an institutionalized racism that destroys lives and robs futures and that will require systematic remedies to correct.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If we are consistently exposed to things that challenge our beliefs with realities that undermine them, then...

... your beliefs are out of line with reality and should be rejected as false or updated to bring them in line with reality.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else see the documentary a few weeks ago about how sitcoms reflected American social attitudes? (It was a British program, but I'm afraid I can't remember the name.) Having looked at how attitudes have shifted in various areas, it concluded that race was still a toxic issue in much of America.

I can't remember all its points now, but it claimed that there hasn't been a TV series that appealed equally to both black and white viewers since The Cosby Show. It pointed out that Friends, set in one of the most racially mixed places in the USA, not only were all the main characters white but non-whites hardly ever appeared. It asserted that, despite their tremendous popularity with whites, shows such as Friends and Sex in the City were so unpopular with black viewers that all-black versions had been made, which then got very high viewing figures for that audience.

I don't know enough about America to know if that program was right or not. However, while I don't want to detract from Martin's excellent points, it seems to me there are wider influences at work in society that go beyond our own personal behaviour.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And aye Porridge, it's Christian theory because we don't practice it.

So, if we love murderers, as I'm currently called to do, a murderer at least, penitent, broken by it but pret-tee capable of it still, we encourage them in that?

This is a gem. I take the ignore part as don't be reactive. Be a calming influence.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016