homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Church and Parliament (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Church and Parliament
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mudfrog:
[qb]
They wouldn't know how to do it anyway.They don't own appropriate buildings, all the gear and experience needed for such an even. They surely would have to call on Anglican expertise to help, tell them what to do, or most probably take over the job. Let's face it, the Baptists, for instance, don't know how to do coronations.

Arguably a point to their credit, theologically speaking.
We like to think so...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bax
Shipmate
# 16572

- Posted      Profile for Bax   Email Bax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has been a fair bit of grand-standing from politicians about the women bishops vote. e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20433152

But imagine if parilament DID actully wade in and make the CofE appoint women bishops*

Would this be any different to Henry VIII making the church accept him as its supreme head in 1534?

What if parliament got a taste for for intevening in church matter and insisted on gay bishops, gay marriage in church or decided that reading St Johns gospel is not allowed "because it's anti-Semitic"...(to make up a few random examples...)

*Despite all the speeches I find it hard to beleive that Parliament would actually intervene, but no politicain is going to pass up the chance for a nice sound bite, with no risk of any cost...

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh for fucks sake - how many times ? Dead Horses is over there => USING IT WILL NOT RENDER YOUR POSTS INVISIBLE, NOR GIVE YOU PUTRID COOTIES

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bax
Shipmate
# 16572

- Posted      Profile for Bax   Email Bax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bax:
There has been a fair bit of grand-standing from politicians about the women bishops vote. e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20433152

But imagine if parilament DID actully wade in and make the CofE appoint women bishops*

Would this be any different to Henry VIII making the church accept him as its supreme head in 1534?

*Despite all the speeches I find it hard to beleive that Parliament would actually intervene, but no politicain is going to pass up the chance for a nice sound bite, with no risk of any cost...

OK.

I broke the rule by mentioning a "dead horse" topic leading to another member to draw a conclusion as to what my view the dead horse in question might be (I now more fully understand the epithet "Dead horse")

Therefore I withdraw the examples I, foolishly, gave and merely ask:

"What if parilament interevened in other areas of the churches life with Parliaments agenda, rather than any though of the bible/tradition/reason that traditionally underpins the way the CofE consdiers such matters?"

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016