homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » New ways of being church (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New ways of being church
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the problem with the CofE, it seems to me, isn't so much a clinging to outward and old traditions (as its critics elsewhere may see it) but a lack of confidence in its particular ethos and in Anglican distinctives.

Too many evangelical charismatic Anglicans seem embarrassed by their own Anglican tradition and seem out to disown it. Our vicar is horrified whenever I come out with anything that sounds remotely Anglican in the traditional sense ...

A lot of these New Wine guys strike me as Vineyard, New Frontiers or even Bethel wannabes ...

None of which is anything I'd wannabe ...

The converse may be the case among extreme Anglo-Catholics.

It's a genuine dilemma.

I used to know an evangelical Anglican parish that had a big issue in that once it'd ditched the choir robes and its 'Prayer Book evangelicalism' and introduced drum-n-bass and so on, it couldn't compete with the large independent charismatic church down the road which could do drum-n-bass and so on far much better ... nor with the Methodists up the road who had a nice new, warm building without box pews and who could offer thoughtful, 'low-church' hymns/liturgy in a way that the non-charismatics found conducive ...

It was squeezed from both directions.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that Anglican parishes set out to give crash courses in Lancelot Andrewes, George Herbert, Nicholas Farrar or whoever else we might see as exemplifying key aspects of the Anglican tradition - but if it were less embarrassed about its heritage and trying to be cool and trendy and not doing that very well either ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, we could say that all these 'distinctives' are provisional and if they no longer 'meet a need' then they should be consigned to history ...

Nevertheless ... it strikes me that by their very nature initiatives like Messy Church and pram-services and so on - effective and laudable though they may well be - are short term. Perhaps fluidity is the key.

But I worry about fluidity if it doesn't have a 'core' to it - an anchor in the received tradition.

One could cite the 'semper reformanda' thing but how far do we take that? I've cited the example here before about Sarah Palin's home town in Alaska where there are 70+ churches for a population of about 1500. There must be churches there in someone's front room with about 3 or 4 members ...

What's the point?

Ok - so Judaism has its divisions and distinctive movements - I used to live mid-way between four synagogues of varying traditions in Leeds and it was interesting to see who was going where ...

But all this plethora of new this and new that and emerging this and emerging that ...

I suppose we are in survival and maintenance mode ... but even so ...

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel

This is the second time you have used part of that quote please note what it is in full
quote:
Ecclesia reformata semper reformandasecundum verbum Dei
Roughly translated

The church reformed and always being Reformed by the word of God.

Not a simple matter then of doing what suits the age.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Edward Green

I'm interested in your experience of FE. One criticism I've heard is that it tends to be very middle class. Would you agree? I'm not classist, but there are many parts of the country that'll be ignored by 'new ways of being church' if this is true.

General concerns that the CofE is becoming overwhelmingly charismatic/ evangelical are perhaps also influenced by class and geography. My ecumenical wanderings haven't yielded much in the way of evangelical Anglicanism, which suggests that evangelical CofE congregations are concentrated in certain areas and regions and scarce in others. It would be interesting to see some sort of table or graph that highlighted the national hotspots. Maybe there's a glut of such churches in the South East?

Talking of traditions, I did have an article about cell groups in the sacramental/liturgical tradition. Perhaps this represents the future for Anglicanism of this type?

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Ok, Jengie, fair call ...

I understand the context in which you'd use the term and I wasn't 'getting' at you personally - it's just that I've heard it being used to justify constant innovation, change and flux - admittedly not in the kind of circles in which you move and which you represent.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

@SvitlanaV2 - some time ago I came across a suggestion that the 'Christianity of the future' would be a 'refined form of Catholicism' ie. it would have sacramental elements and a broadly catholic spirituality - but perhaps without the spikey and knobbly bits ...

I was intrigued by this idea.

I do think that base-communities, small groups and so on are going to play a vital role in the future - in whatever tradition and setting we're talking about ... and perhaps some of the neo-monastic groups that have been discussed on these boards before are part of that.

I think you've noted, though, that such things do tend to be very 'middle class' - which does make me wonder what the church of the future may have to offer those from a different demographic to those it seems to cater for now.

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

I used to know an evangelical Anglican parish that had a big issue in that once it'd ditched the choir robes and its 'Prayer Book evangelicalism' and introduced drum-n-bass and so on, it couldn't compete with the large independent charismatic church down the road which could do drum-n-bass and so on far much better ... nor with the Methodists up the road who had a nice new, warm building without box pews and who could offer thoughtful, 'low-church' hymns/liturgy in a way that the non-charismatics found conducive .

If Anglican churches (at least in England and probably Wales) got on with doing what they are there for - that is, the Cure of Souls (all of them within the parish, or ministry area, or whatever they are now to be called) - and thereby developed in action the core of the worship that sustains their life, they might rediscover something very precious and distinctive.

It could even be a Fresh Expression! [Devil]

Actually, thinking about it: plenty are doing this already. [Overused]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think you've noted, though, that such things do tend to be very 'middle class' - which does make me wonder what the church of the future may have to offer those from a different demographic to those it seems to cater for now.

Living and working now for some years in a context that is emphatically not middle class has made me very sceptical about church-growth and parish renewal initiatives that come from the leafy suburbs. Come to think of it, they all do.

Doing old-fashioned Church well seems to be having some effect here...

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AberVicar:
quote:

I used to know an evangelical Anglican parish that had a big issue in that once it'd ditched the choir robes and its 'Prayer Book evangelicalism' and introduced drum-n-bass and so on, it couldn't compete with the large independent charismatic church down the road which could do drum-n-bass and so on far much better ... nor with the Methodists up the road who had a nice new, warm building without box pews and who could offer thoughtful, 'low-church' hymns/liturgy in a way that the non-charismatics found conducive .

If Anglican churches (at least in England and probably Wales) got on with doing what they are there for - that is, the Cure of Souls (all of them within the parish, or ministry area, or whatever they are now to be called) - and thereby developed in action the core of the worship that sustains their life, they might rediscover something very precious and distinctive.

And plenty aren't. And those of us in the areas where they aren't either have to do something ourselves or give up on the whole thing.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exclamation Mark said:
quote:
What began as fresh and exciting, has rapidly become stale, bland and predictable. It isn't Fresh anymore - it's pretty mainstream when you offer cafe Church, Messy Church, alternative worship etc. within the usual hierarchy or parish set up.

Even the charismatic fresh expressions of house and community churches still follow the old 1970's/80's model "The old churches aren't working: we're young fresh and vibrant: new wine in old winekins - no, new wine in new wineskins." It's all rather passe and it's hard not to be cynical when someone comes to you with what he (it's usually a he btw) says is a new idea. It's hard too not to pick a book off the shelf about Restorationism and ask him to read it to demonstrate that this "new thing" is only "new" to him.

Some personal reflections from practical experience. In 11 years between wood and water - a small area (10 mile radius say) in the SW of England - I saw, on average at least one group a year who told me that God had sent them there to plant a church because the existing ones weren't doing the job. That didn't include the church splits of which they were many of the "me too" charismatic church variety.

None have lasted. The shortest lasted 6 weeks, the longest about 6 years. The damage to existing churches has led to a 30% decline in attendance plus an acceleration of church closures. One or two buck the trend and have grown but they seem a bit more light on their feet to change and relevance. The area is known as a tough area for ministry and many don't last the course. There's high burnout (it was nearly me too) and a lot of moral failure too in the area.

The damage to the witness of the gospel is incalculable.

You are bang on the money here EM. Well stated.

It is interesting in the circles I am around, there is lot's of talk about ''new'' ''fresh'' and even the ''radical''.

Frankly it's all passe indeed. It comes down to (I am speaking about the charismatic churches across England here by the way not one specific church) a large v. v. expensive sound system, lots of bells and electronic whistles and some musical ability and that's in fact about it.

New ways of being church? Not on your nelly.

Saul

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Posts: 1772 | From: unsure | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
StA - what I know as "New ways of being church", "Fresh expressions", "Emerging Church" and all the rest of it has bugger all to do with charismatic worship and worship bands. I'd describe all that as one of the "Old ways of being church".

This thread would do a lot better if we agreed on what we're actually talking about.

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

And plenty aren't. And those of us in the areas where they aren't either have to do something ourselves or give up on the whole thing.
And this advances the discussion exactly how?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Well, it explains in part where I'm coming from, I'd hope, in a parish where the church most certainly does attend itself to "the cure of all souls" in the parish.

So horror of horrors, we've had to go elsewhere. Nine years we spent trying to make it work, so don't imagine this was a simple matter of "oh, we don't like it here, let's shop around until we find what suits us."

In the end we had to ask what would help us build our faith and that of our children, and what was becoming pure joyless duty and driving the kids insane with boredom. Fortunately we have found a home in exactly the sort of FE setup that a lot of people on here see fit to deny the value of. For us it's a godsend.

It'd be wonderful if all the parish churches did as you are describing, but they don't, and people like me can't force them to either.

[ 06. December 2012, 15:40: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

quote:

In the end we had to ask what would help us build our faith and that of our children, and what was becoming pure joyless duty and driving the kids insane with boredom. Fortunately we have found a home in exactly the sort of FE setup that a lot of people on here see fit to deny the value of. For us it's a godsend.

It'd be wonderful if all the parish churches did as you are describing, but they don't, and people like me can't force them to either.

I've not come across anyone in this thread denying the value of FE or New Ways of Being Church. There's been plenty of questioning on how far some of them are fresh, new or even Church.

I don't quite see how your first statement stacks up. If your original (home?) parish is doing an excellent job of the cure of souls for all, that is exactly what it means. In what way are you excluded? (in which case it isn't for all) or have you excluded yourself (in which case, prayers and good luck to you, but it that really their fault?)

--------------------

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
My ecumenical wanderings haven't yielded much in the way of evangelical Anglicanism, which suggests that evangelical CofE congregations are concentrated in certain areas and regions and scarce in others. It would be interesting to see some sort of table or graph that highlighted the national hotspots. Maybe there's a glut of such churches in the South East?

I doubt it; you don't say where you are, so I can't drop any hints as to where the Evangelicals are hiding in your area. My suspicion however is that the priests from an Evangelical tradition will be there in many parishes - after all Evangelicals have been providing about 50% of ordinands for many a long year now - but not rushing to impose a particular form of worship on their churches; remember that 'traditional' 'low church' worship, using liturgy and hymns, would have been what any Evangelical parish would have offered until the 1970s. So I suspect they are there - just not obvious!

PS It's always a fun game to go into a church at a time other than a service and play 'spot the party it belongs to'. The missionary societies supported is often a give away. The names of the services can help. Manifestos from 'Open Synod' group is a big give away - or the latest edition of New Directions...

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

I've not come across anyone in this thread denying the value of FE or New Ways of Being Church. There's been plenty of questioning on how far some of them are fresh, new or even Church.

I don't quite see how your first statement stacks up. If your original (home?) parish is doing an excellent job of the cure of souls for all, that is exactly what it means. In what way are you excluded? (in which case it isn't for all) or have you excluded yourself (in which case, prayers and good luck to you, but it that really their fault?)

There was a typo - it should have read "certainly doesn't".

It's hard to pin down exactly what's irritating me on this thread, but there seems to be a quite negative vibe and some of it seems to derive from ignorance about what FE in particular is.

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Well without wishing to stray very far in to All Saints territory, you were very scratchy earlier on, and said so. Perhaps you are bringing your own frustration to the argument instead of letting it develop its own momentum.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if any of the contributors here denied the value of a fellowship in which you and your family have been able to build your relationship with God. As far as I can see, there has been some real effort to look at what FE ought to be offering in order to make a lasting difference, and there has been some concern that people can get so caught up in FE that they throw out the old stuff where it is still working.

In my patch, I have inherited five church buildings, one of which is home to a still thriving very traditional pattern of Church life. One died as a church years ago, and despite the pain caused in the local community we have been able to close it. My challenge (yes i know it's our challenge, but it's a leadership issue too) is to establish an FE in the outlying areas near the closed church which will not either replicate what has already clearly failed, or replicate what others in the area are already doing. It must be able to sustain the Cure of Souls, so open to all, and needs to be sustainable in its own context.

This is a big ask. Thank God it's in God's hands and not just in ours! [Votive]

BTW - this is what the 'building bridges' is all about...

--------------------

Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, to quote a well known French phrase....

quote:
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Plus of course that there is ''nothing new under the sun'' etc etc etc.

But church can get moribund very quickly and I am surprised to see a very strong glass ceiling in UK churches. Even the very ''successful'' ones can't seem to break into real church growth and this lack of growth is not just in the traditional sector but in the house church/charismatic movement too.

Saul

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Posts: 1772 | From: unsure | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Edward Green

I'm interested in your experience of FE. One criticism I've heard is that it tends to be very middle class. Would you agree?

General concerns that the CofE is becoming overwhelmingly charismatic/ evangelical are perhaps also influenced by class and geography ... Maybe there's a glut of such churches in the South East?

Talking of traditions, I did have an article about cell groups in the sacramental/liturgical tradition. Perhaps this represents the future for Anglicanism of this type?

Church is rather middle class full stop in some areas. Our Fresh Expression is the least Middle Class of the congregations, but in a sense it is more of a Charismatic Church Plant than explicitly a Fresh Expression. There are elements of it that fit the description.

Charismatic Anglicanism certainly seems to be in the ascendency, although plenty of Charismatic Clergy end up way outside their tradition by the time they get to the parish. Not enough suburban shacks to go around. The same thing happened with Anglo-Catholicism of course.

The small discipleship group is very much part of the Sacramental tradition, New Monasticism is a very intentional extension of this which relates to Fresh Expressions.

quote:
Living and working now for some years in a context that is emphatically not middle class has made me very sceptical about church-growth and parish renewal initiatives that come from the leafy suburbs. Come to think of it, they all do.

Those of us in rural ministry would concur. Sub-urban models of church, however old or fresh are different to rural models. One of the villages I serve has a group of young families who have come into the church (see below for un-churched comments), they meet twice a month, once for lay led Sunday Club and once for a very hands on 'Children around the Altar' style Family Communion. I don't care if its a FE or not, but it is very different pattern to 'Minister in Church with us every week'. Equally we run a monthly spirituality group that draws people from a wide range of backgrounds who are committed to a simple rule of life. Influenced by New Monasticism but significantly less intense than some of the communities out there - and the members of our 'order lite' worship in different places and at different times on Sunday.

quote:

It's hard to pin down exactly what's irritating me on this thread, but there seems to be a quite negative vibe and some of it seems to derive from ignorance about what FE in particular is.

I am on the National Rurual FE Round Table. Any negativity or criticism from me should be read as criticism from within rather than without.

The biggest issue I have comes down to limiting FE to the un-churched. Every school in this area is a Church School. The one in my benefice I lead worship in on a weekly basis and treat it as an 8th congregation. One of my villages gets 250 on Christmas Eve for the Crib Service - which is greater than the population of the village! Very few people then are completely un-churched.

The community with our explicit FE is more transient, people come and go. FE style events have been successful, but building stability and community has been far more difficult.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Shipmate
# 76

Funnily enough, I'd very much agree with your last point, as being far from un-churched myself. We were getting very close to de-churched, however.

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Funnily enough, I'd very much agree with your last point, as being far from un-churched myself. We were getting very close to de-churched, however.

Well in a sense when I left my Charismatic Church in my 20's and joined the local more catholic Anglican Church and started an Alt.Worship group I was almost de-churched. Ironically as I type this I have just come back from a Charismatic worship service ...

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Well without wishing to stray very far in to All Saints territory, you were very scratchy earlier on, and said so. Perhaps you are bringing your own frustration to the argument instead of letting it develop its own momentum.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if any of the contributors here denied the value of a fellowship in which you and your family have been able to build your relationship with God. As far as I can see, there has been some real effort to look at what FE ought to be offering in order to make a lasting difference, and there has been some concern that people can get so caught up in FE that they throw out the old stuff where it is still working.

In my patch, I have inherited five church buildings, one of which is home to a still thriving very traditional pattern of Church life. One died as a church years ago, and despite the pain caused in the local community we have been able to close it. My challenge (yes i know it's our challenge, but it's a leadership issue too) is to establish an FE in the outlying areas near the closed church which will not either replicate what has already clearly failed, or replicate what others in the area are already doing. It must be able to sustain the Cure of Souls, so open to all, and needs to be sustainable in its own context.

This is a big ask. Thank God it's in God's hands and not just in ours! [Votive]

BTW - this is what the 'building bridges' is all about...

Best of luck. Sorry for earlier getting hold of the wrong end of the stick.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks everyone for your very kind replies to my mumblings and ramblings. Over the years I've seen a fair few FE developments as (past) national chair of a denominational network of such things.

It's a live issue for me at the moment - that is, the real need of running a FE in the same community as the exisitng church. Messy church, cafe, coffee shops, schools work, prayer on the streets is all happening. But to remain vibrant and to speak into people's lives, noen of it would work within the existing church - nor should it. How we run two "streams" or "expressions" side by side in one relatively discrete geographical area is the real challenge.

I'm really only commented on FE and not emerging/emergant/post emergant church. I've not come across much of this even in a large urban context and cerytainly not in the previously very rural ministry. A l,ot of this, ISTM, is small "interest groups" that can be very emphemeral and which make few demands on those who attend. It doesn't much resonate with what I understand of what the church should be - welcoming and winsome to all, permanent (cos that's when it affects the world around it) and which recognises that belief does require some propositional statements and responses.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Sorry missed edit window - I can't type that fast].

It doesn't much resonate with what I understand of what the church should be - welcoming and winsome to all, permanent (cos that's when it affects the world around it) and which recognises that belief does require some propositional statements and responses.

Interesting post from AberVicar (thanks) about the cure of souls in a "parish". I find that a lot of Anglican churches seem to assume this - rather less actually do it. Some just seem to see the parish and its inhabitants as a cash cow resource to maintain the building. (Notice I said some - and it's IME!). There are many honourable exceptions of course.

Tbh in a previous ministry we found that as a (non Anglican) church, we stood in that position for many people in the village. We did a lot of funerals (always no charge) and a considerable amount of the work in a (church) school. In the local area we weren't the only non anglican church working in that way - and it is recognised as a very traditional area between wood and water.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saul the Apostle:
Church can get moribund very quickly and I am surprised to see a very strong glass ceiling in UK churches. Even the very ''successful'' ones can't seem to break into real church growth and this lack of growth is not just in the traditional sector but in the house church/charismatic movement too.

Sociologists and historians suggest that churches go through certain stages, don't they? Some blame evangelicalism's drift away from doctrine into morality. Church hagiographers tend to complain that the spiritual passion and fervour of the first generations of church planters or founders tends not to be replicated in succeeding generations.

In terms of church growth, I've read that some churches do grow, but reach a certain point and find it difficult to grow further. For the largest churches, the explanation is that growth above a certain number (say 200 people) requires a different set of skills from church leaders, and they probably don't have these skills to acquire them. A new form of church management is also required when you have a 'megachurch', which may be difficult to put in place if your denomination normally organises congregational leadershipb tightly along particular lines. One Anglican commentator said that no CofE vicar gets to grow a congregation to significant levels by obeying the rules!

Another piece of research I look at suggested that people often evangelise amongst their family and friends; but once you've exhausted them, what do you do next? Even Alpha has failed to draw in complete strangers, on the whole. Practising Christians often end up with fewer and fewer non-Christian friends as time passes, which means they have fewer opportunities to evangelise.

There are many reasons for the stultification of churches in the UK. The Bible surely provides many answers, although we rarely look to the Bible for help on church growth issues....

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Most church-growth pundits I've come across are always referring to the Bible. Whether they do so in context, of course, is another issue ...

--------------------

Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

- Posted      Profile for Ramarius         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've recently finished the year long Mission Shaped Ministry training course for FE. I'd highly recommend it. I was particularly struck by the emphasis on building Christian communities for the un-churched and de-churched as a defining feature of any FE. Every success in your enterprise KLB....
Posts: 950 | From: Virtually anywhere | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
Personally I have no hesitation in arguing that meetings in home during the week should have a higher priority that the Sunday gathering;

For what purpose? I'm asking because these are totally alien to my experience. And I think I'm relieved about that-- and not just for the time commitment, because I speak as someone who attended or officiate at daily evening prayer for several years and wish there were an opportunity to do it again. I'm impressed by the commmitment and dedication of those who do this sort of thing, but how can it be required, and by the same people who probably diss the Catholics for speaking of "mass obligation"...?

What goes on in these cell meetings? One hears horror stories about how they can be thinly disgused brainwashing sessions done by lay leaders in a strict hierarchy leading up to the head honcho. It would take something like that, I'd think, to cause people to leave the church as walking wounded and spend years after as "recovering Christians," of which there are millions. Assuming that the proceedings are more benign than that, what are they?

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
Personally I have no hesitation in arguing that meetings in home during the week should have a higher priority that the Sunday gathering;

For what purpose? I'm asking because these are totally alien to my experience. And I think I'm relieved about that-- and not just for the time commitment, because I speak as someone who attended or officiate at daily evening prayer for several years and wish there were an opportunity to do it again. I'm impressed by the commmitment and dedication of those who do this sort of thing, but how can it be required, and by the same people who probably diss the Catholics for speaking of "mass obligation"...?

What goes on in these cell meetings? One hears horror stories about how they can be thinly disgused brainwashing sessions done by lay leaders in a strict hierarchy leading up to the head honcho. It would take something like that, I'd think, to cause people to leave the church as walking wounded and spend years after as "recovering Christians," of which there are millions. Assuming that the proceedings are more benign than that, what are they?

I think the priority of the midweek 'cell' meeting depends on the mission of the church. In my own experience, the most successful cell meetings were based on the 'mission group' concept. Essentially, a group within a church decide who they want to reach with the Gospel, and whom they want to reach them with. The broup's focus may be geographical, a people group, a marginalised group in society, or based around a particular style of mission. Since people come together around a common vision, rather than being arranged as a group by the church hierarchy, the risk of brainwashing and damage is very much diminished.

The genius of the Fresh Expression approach is that it values a 'mixed economy' of church expression. I can think of many reasons why a service of daily evening prayer could be an ideal mission expression, as well as providing vital opportunity for spiritual engagement for time-pressured people. I can personally think of a number occasions when I've been working away from home when the chance to drop into a church for prayer has been a literal Godsend.

--------------------
'

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Alogon, in many, if not most evangelical settings the small, mid-week group meetings are where the instruction, teaching and catechesis takes place. Sometimes well, sometimes badly, sometimes indifferently.

At best, I think it can serve a useful purpose for many people - and Enders Shadow clearly feels that they should be a priority as far as he is concerned. The problem is, I suspect he'd expect it to be become a priority for everyone else as well. He often appears very critical and rather dismissive of churches that don't go in for that sort of thing.

In some ways, these groups play a similar role to that of the 'spiritual director' in more Catholic or sacramental circles. And I'm sure there are both good and bad examples of those.

My brother-in-law and other strong, but increasingly broader, evangelicals still value groups of this kind very highly. I don't, although I would have done at one time.

I can't really see why they should take priority though. Mind you, if you have a very low approach to the sacraments then it's probably inevitable - nature abhors a vacuum - that you're going to find some alternative and sacralise that. In some circles they appear to have 'sacralised' the mid-week meetings in the same way as they have 'sacralised' the so-called 'worship time' (as if the whole thing isn't a worship time).

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I can see the point Ramarius is making but I feel uncomfortable with the terminology. A 'cell' is where they look you away ...

I can see the point, too, about dropping into a church to pray and that being a Godsend if you are working away from home. I've often done that if a church is open during the day - even if it is just to sit and contemplate in silence for a few minutes.

I've been working in London for a few days a week recently and when I've been there on a Monday evening I've often dropped into a Compline service at 10pm in a residential setting.

Whether I'd be as keen to go along to a house-group or similar if I were working away, I very much doubt ... although if I were there all week for weeks on end I might value something like that ... although the standard evangelical house-group holds little appeal for me these days.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can see the point Ramarius is making but I feel uncomfortable with the terminology. A 'cell' is where they look you away ...

It is also the basic building block of a large living organism, AKA the Body of Christ, as someone wrote above that the church should be.
So I can understand why the term would be used if one believes in an important role for such small groups.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alogon, in many, if not most evangelical settings the small, mid-week group meetings are where the instruction, teaching and catechesis takes place. Sometimes well, sometimes badly, sometimes indifferently.

At best, I think it can serve a useful purpose for many people - and Enders Shadow clearly feels that they should be a priority as far as he is concerned. The problem is, I suspect he'd expect it to be become a priority for everyone else as well. He often appears very critical and rather dismissive of churches that don't go in for that sort of thing.

In some ways, these groups play a similar role to that of the 'spiritual director' in more Catholic or sacramental circles. And I'm sure there are both good and bad examples of those.

My brother-in-law and other strong, but increasingly broader, evangelicals still value groups of this kind very highly. I don't, although I would have done at one time.

I can't really see why they should take priority though. Mind you, if you have a very low approach to the sacraments then it's probably inevitable - nature abhors a vacuum - that you're going to find some alternative and sacralise that. In some circles they appear to have 'sacralised' the mid-week meetings in the same way as they have 'sacralised' the so-called 'worship time' (as if the whole thing isn't a worship time).

I've leapt up the candle and have gone from a MOTR, gently evangelical Anglican place with fortnightly Eucharist to a liberal Anglo-Catholic shack with full-on sung Eucharist every week. Interestingly I have found myself missing small groups which are as you say, a large part of evangelical church culture. We've got something not too dissimilar at the chaplaincy at uni which fills the gap without me having to attend an evangelical church (and we don't have any kind of small group arrangement at my church), but it is interesting that I apparently feel the need for both smells 'n' bells and small groups. The mixed economy of FE does seem very inspired in light of that.

/former FE sceptic

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Thanks Jade Constable - I suspect I would feel the same if I climbed further up the candle. At the moment I'm teetering somewhere in the middle which probably means I'm losing out at both ends. I no longer have the small-group interaction at one end and I only occasionally have the full on candle-lit 'hit' at the other ...

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Interestingly I have found myself missing small groups which are as you say, a large part of evangelical church culture.

The small group, be it lay guild, rosary circle or shared rule was very much part of the catholic tradition too when it was growing. Sadly it has been lost.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:

It is also the basic building block of a large living organism, AKA the Body of Christ, as someone wrote above that the church should be.
So I can understand why the term would be used if one believes in an important role for such small groups.

Do new monastics have cells?
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Sort of. 'Chapters' and such. Or so they might have been called at one time.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

They have chapter houses or rooms for formal discussion or business meetings. They might also have cells to sleep and be alone. The only modern, functioning religious house that I've seen inside to any great extent is Saint Norbert Abbey in DePere, Wis. Their chapter room is just east of the church proper-- separated, as I recall, only by a hallway going north-south which leads to the many cells around the arms of the building. These are like individual college dormitory rooms, except narrower and more austere.

Using the word "cell" in prisons quite deliberately derives from the monastic model. The ideal (dating from the nineteenth century) is that prisoners will spend time in the penitentiary meditating on their offenses in order to repent and emerge as better people.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think, Alogon, that Ramarius is thinking of 'new monastic movements' - the sort of quasi-monastic networks such as The Northumbria Community etc.

They aren't actual monks, but they do take a 'rule of life' and so on.

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

And yes we may have cells. Certainly at college we were encouraged to form cell groups. Although mine is scattered to the four winds.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016