homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Here's a photo of me for your mantelpiece. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Here's a photo of me for your mantelpiece.
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The designs of our political leaders' Christmas cards have been released. Two out of the three designs show photographs of the sender: the Prime Minister's card shows the Prime Minister, his wife and the Olympic Torch on the steps of Downing Street. The Leader of the Opposition's card shows him, his wife and their children.

Am I alone in thinking that it is incredibly narcissistic to send Christmas cards emblazoned with photographs of oneself? It seems to be totally inappropriate for the time of year (if it's ever appropriate at all). Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and is this something that lots of people do?

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be seen as an admission that you are such a nonentity that people need to be reminded of who you are. Which seems to show Clegg in a good light, except that he has some very good reasons for not wanting to remind people who he is. I think it's very wrong of them to have used their families.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I was David Cameron I'd use a picture of Larry the cat. It would probably win me the election ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither of the wives are looking at the camera. And the Cameron card looks like a summer shot, not a Christmas card. At least Nick Clegg has one that actually is a Christmas card.

Yes, Larry the Cat would have been good.

Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh... THAT's who it was... I thought that was Ed Milliband?! I recognise the small fat man with the white beard on the second one.

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglican't:
quote:
Am I alone in thinking that it is incredibly narcissistic to send Christmas cards emblazoned with photographs of oneself?
You obviously haven't been on many American Christmas card lists. But then we do run to narcissists.

However, the Obamas do have a more modest card, if you don't consider a fuzzy, distant White House on it as a sly brag.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never heard of people putting themselves on a Christmas card - very odd!

I love the White House one 'tho.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're an MP you always have to have one designed by primary school children - winners of a competition for schools in your constituency.

No political leader can just nip out and get a couple of packs from Oxfam for the friends 'n' family. It's hundreds and hundreds of cards to party workers, supporters, people who might see their way to giving a bob or two come the next election. The card is to reward/remind the recipient that the Leader is your bestest friend, who holds you in high regard. And the signature is a stamp, btw.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well ... OK. I think this is probably a rant against UK politicians but you're an ingenious bunch of Shipmates. You might just find a serious point to discuss sometime during the next 24 hours, say?

Otherwise it will go to Hell and you can feel really free to tear 'em to shreds.

[BTW I think Cameron and Milliband's cards are glossy, self-serving crap. I quite like the Obama's card. Not very Christmassy, but definitely seasonal.]

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lucrezia Spagliatoni Dayglo
Apprentice
# 16907

- Posted      Profile for Lucrezia Spagliatoni Dayglo   Email Lucrezia Spagliatoni Dayglo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you suppose they include one of those interminable letters about what all the family have achieved throughout the year?

At least they wouldn't be able to exaggerate, too much [Eek!] !

--------------------
Work hard, drink hard, play hard and fall over hard.

Posts: 20 | From: "...an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet ..." | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucrezia Spagliatoni Dayglo:
Do you suppose they include one of those interminable letters about what all the family have achieved throughout the year?

At least they wouldn't be able to exaggerate, too much [Eek!] !

The word you are looking for is "spin".

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Birdseye:
Oh... THAT's who it was... I thought that was Ed Milliband?! I recognise the small fat man with the white beard on the second one.

What, has Frank Dobson made a comeback, then?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
And the signature is a stamp, btw.

Not on the one I got from David Blunkett in c1998 it wasn't- and I'd never met him and wasn't a constituent.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most people in the United States use photos of their families for Christmas cards. Some even send a "Christmas letter," which tend toward the bragging end..."This year Johnny climbed both Kilimanjaro and Everest while maintaining a 4.0 at his Ivy League university" and so on.

Christmas letters are generally seen, if written in that tone, as a bit gauche. But Christmas cards featuring the senders are typical.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
Most people in the United States use photos of their families for Christmas cards.

Really? Most? My collection of friends and relatives must be really odd then, because they hardly make up a fifth of what I receive every year.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
... the Prime Minister's card shows the Prime Minister, his wife and the Olympic Torch on the steps of Downing Street. The Leader of the Opposition's card shows him, his wife and their children....

Perhaps all the cards with pictures of wise men had sold out.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
while maintaining a 4.0 at his Ivy League university" and so on.

[Tangent] What's a 4.0?[/Tangent]

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
quote:
while maintaining a 4.0 at his Ivy League university" and so on.

[Tangent] What's a 4.0?[/Tangent]
Grade point average-- 4.0 is the highest you can attain (straight A's) without extra credits.

(I know there shouldn't be an apostrophe there, but it just didn't make sense without one!)

[ 10. December 2012, 16:01: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with MT on this one. I get 1 or 2 family photo cards (which go in the trash) each year. I get dozens of normal ones that my wife puts on a table for display. I'm not putting a picture of someone else's kids up in my house.

A 4.0 indicates perfect school grades (marks).
A = 4
B = 3
C = 2
D = 1
F = 0

The average of the grades (marks) in all courses yields a grade point average (GPA).

<<GPA cross-post with a certain owl>>

[ 10. December 2012, 16:27: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Most people in the United States use photos of their families for Christmas cards.

Really? Most? My collection of friends and relatives must be really odd then, because they hardly make up a fifth of what I receive every year.
It's about 50/50 at my house. So I am with Bostonman. For me even 20% is safely within the definition of "most" when I am exaggerating to illustrate a point.

It is amazing how many people's children maintain a 4.0 at Ivy League universities. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
I'm with MT on this one. I get 1 or 2 family photo cards (which go in the trash) each year. I get dozens of normal ones that my wife puts on a table for display. I'm not putting a picture of someone else's kids up in my house.

My best friend sent a Christmas photo card a few years ago that is still on display in my living room -- it's s great picture of her and her daughter.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Am I alone in thinking that it is incredibly narcissistic to send Christmas cards emblazoned with photographs of oneself?

No, you're not alone. What makes it even more pathetic is that, no doubt, many recipients will proudly display the card that 'our beloved leader' sent, as some sort of badge of honour. So it is an ego-boost for both sender and recipient. Not so much 'win-win' as 'saddo-saddo'.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it's simply a natural transition. Maybe people don't really celebrate and share Christmas with each other any more as much as use the sentimentality of the "Season" to reach out and make contact. In an increasingly isolated society, a 'here's-what-I-look-like-now' card serves a real purpose.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like seeing how people's kids are growing up through the years. They all go in the trash after we take down all the decorations, but so do the "real" Christmas cards. (Well, the latter into the recycling -- this is Seattle.) It's not that we're a selfish, inward-looking society so much as I have friends from college etc. who live hundreds or thousands of miles away.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing those, is there any Shipmate who isn't glad not to be on their card lists?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Seeing those, is there any Shipmate who isn't glad not to be on their card lists?

Your pronouns have no clear antecedents.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

This is really funny because I thought that most people really preferred the cards with pictures of the family on them. I have sometimes sent them in the past and have felt guilty when I resort to ordinary commercial cards.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:

No, you're not alone. What makes it even more pathetic is that, no doubt, many recipients will proudly display the card that 'our beloved leader' sent, as some sort of badge of honour. So it is an ego-boost for both sender and recipient. Not so much 'win-win' as 'saddo-saddo'.
Charity is twice blessed...

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had Christmas cards made for the last few years with a photo I've taken on the front, and a select few friends get the dubious benefit of a handwritten letter - apparently these are usually quite sardonic and a timely antidote to the usual schmaltz, though that might just be because I'm a grumpyguts at heart.

Two years ago I did put a picture of us on the front (I'd link if it was on my Flickr), but that was because it was funny, with the two of us so wrapped up against snow falling thick and fast, and settling thickly on us, that all you could see was our eyes. Anything less entertaining doesn't go near my cards. As for getting one from a politician, well, I'd save it for when the cat left something nasty that needed scraping up.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Queen does a royal portrait sort of Christmas card, doesn't she?
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
The Queen does a royal portrait sort of Christmas card, doesn't she?

You mean you haven't received yours yet?
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is interesting - I have some friends from the US who always send us a Christmas card with a photo of themselves & children on it. I'd always thought it very odd and rather narcissistic, so it is good to learn that it's not really.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it's so that people know who the cards come from. For some unknown reason we got a card two years ago with a generic Edinburgh in the snow scene, and we spent ages trying to figure out who "Alex and Moira" were.

(For those across the pond, Alex Salmond is First Minister of Scotland)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A nice wintry photo of the houses of parliament would do fine imo. In fact, when we had an MP friend, that's what we received. Posted at the HP, if I recall correctly.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These days I guess there are a lot of folks who'd be less offended at recieving a card with a photo of myself , plus two pages of .... (wait for it) [Projectile] Round Robin , than one featuring the Nativity Scene.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We usually send a store-bought card (almost always religious) and put in a little newsletter with pictures of the kids and some news about them, because a lot of friends only see them once a year or less. I try and make it not boastful, just normall family stuff! Toddlers are too young for grade point averages anyway...
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
This is interesting - I have some friends from the US who always send us a Christmas card with a photo of themselves & children on it. I'd always thought it very odd and rather narcissistic, so it is good to learn that it's not really.

M.

These are the sort of things some people send -- I'm happy to say that I usually receive only four or five each year.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd kill myself before I sent a Christmas card featuring ME, ME, ME! HEY LOOK AT ME!

That said, I have enough little people in my large family that I rather enjoy have pictures inserted in a card before mailing.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gave $10 to Tom Mulcair's (successful) leadership campaign for the federal NDP this year. As a result I am now on his Christmas Card list, I got mine yesterday.

The photo is a snowy picture of the Peace Tower (big central tower with the bells) on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. A picture the Ours d'Outremont* and Catherine Mulcair (in black and white) is inside.

*Bear from Outremont

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gave $10 to Tom Mulcair's (successful) leadership campaign for the federal NDP this year. As a result I am now on his Christmas Card list, I got mine yesterday.

The photo is a snowy picture of the Peace Tower (big central tower with the bells) on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. A picture the Ours d'Outremont* and Catherine Mulcair (in black and white) is inside.

*Bear from Outremont

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It honestly never occurred to me before this thread that people would take photo cards as narcissistic. In our farflung family they are one of the chief ways of keeping in touch with what so-and-so looks like now (since we haven't seen him/her since the last funeral, hopefully some years in the past!) and in fact the cards are always focused on the children of the family, usually leaving out the parents. (who needs to look at us anyway, I'd rather they think of me as so much younger and prettier) [Biased]

We don't generally send cards to people we aren't close enough to emotionally to WANT to see (and keep) their photos--no "who the heck is this?" here. IMHO sending cards to mere acquaintances is a business practice (I know, YMMV).

We could certainly buy cards in a shop. But IME those get glanced at for two seconds and laid aside. Basically just long enough to identify the image (usually banal) and read whatever signature there might be, or possibly brief message. Whereas the photo cards (because we ARE close to those people, and interested therefore) get looked at and discussed for minutes, not seconds.

Having said all that, I do think it is horrid for people to send any kind of card, photo or otherwise, with a completely preprinted message and signature, even--not the least bit of handwriting, no personal note at all. Except in the obvious exceptional cases.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the round robin thing very subjective. If it's from someone I know well, I love them because I love to see how their kids are growing up and what they've all been up to. Sometimes there are quite major updates there, too. It's a pretty efficient and friendly way of keeping everyone in the loop. And, of course, the news is spun to be a bit more positive, though Granny's death, or Uncle Fester's illness might be referred to. But for something like a Christmas communication, I can understand why my friends mightn't want to go into details of the horrible divorce or recent cancer treatments though some do share fairly honestly.

But I think you can always spot the boasters. If by year four Disney hasn't made a film of their life, you know that that perfect Stepford family who mail you every Christmas with the news of their latest Nobel Prize award must be a little less perfect than they seem!

As for photos of the sender on the card itself. I so do not want a photo of a politician on a Christmas card! What the hell could be less festive?! However, people I know wearing Santa hats and antlers on the dog - no problem. Though snowy church scenes and robins are my favourite!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
It honestly never occurred to me before this thread that people would take photo cards as narcissistic.

It strikes me that defining things you're not familiar with as narcissistic is far more self-regarding and vain than sending photos of one's family to loved ones.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I find the round robin thing very subjective. If it's from someone I know well, I love them because I love to see how their kids are growing up and what they've all been up to. Sometimes there are quite major updates there, too. It's a pretty efficient and friendly way of keeping everyone in the loop.

I'm glad you do Anselmina . As do many people of course .
Hope you know I was just having a giggle about round robins.

Just cos my own achievements wouldn't fill one side of a postage stamp, that is indeed no reason to knock the achievements of others.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago, our vicar used to send a card featuring a portrait of himself to every house in the Parish. It really did look narcissistic, although I suppose there might have been people who didn't know what the vicar looked like, who might have found it helpful in a 'WANTED' sort of way....

Many people tend to use facebook for this these days, so I'm not sure why they would also want to send a card of themselves.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Many people tend to use facebook for this these days, so I'm not sure why they would also want to send a card of themselves.

"Many" perhaps -- but not all of us.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

Just cos my own achievements wouldn't fill one side of a postage stamp, that is indeed no reason to knock the achievements of others.

indeed not. Especially not the achievements of those who achieve loads of stuff and still have time left in the day to write round-robins in December.

--------------------
Damien Hirst

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

Because not everybody in the world is on facebook? Just a thought. There's also the question of privacy ("if you want it to be private don't put it on the internet") and not everybody wants pictures of their minor children up on the interwebs.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I am going to start off by saying I am a person who is 1.) probably shittier than most at sending Christmas cards, and as such 2.) does not get a whole lot.

So, quite honestly when I see the strong language aimed at people who send pictures and round robins and such, I think, "Wow, it must be nice to get so many cards and letters that you can critique them like that."

For me a card or a letter gets the same response-- "Wow, something cool to read! From a person who apparently likes me!"

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love getting Christmas letters from friends and relations. I read the letters, and I am delighted to know that Penelope is on the track team and Millicent is taking harp lessons and Ludwig got braces. I like it when my friends include pictures of their kids or grandkids. And if the card *is* a picture of the kids, that's cool, too. We tape the cards on the pantry door as a little bit of Christmas decor, but the real joy, for me, is the letters.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016