homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Malware Message when attempting to post

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Malware Message when attempting to post
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I received the following message when attempting to post in Heaven.
quote:
forum.ship-of-fools.com contains content from alancresswell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.
We have already notified alancresswell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on alancresswell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen a similar but not identical message on the blog of a pastor down here.

However, I've posted several times today. The latest was in heaven about a minute ago, and no message at all.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just popped up for me on the "Well that's that then" thread in All Saints.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got the same message. I was on the 'today's active threads' page and tried to click on an All Saints thread. (Which I'm pretty sure does have a post from Alan on it.)

ETA: Same thread as Japes - couldn't remember what it was called!

[ 29. October 2012, 06:27: Message edited by: birdie ]

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same here.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry should add that I PM'ed Alan and will try to alert anyone else around.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, very strange.

A quick look at the content of my webspace and there's only one file new file there - something called google-verify.php. Since I didn't put it there, I deleted it.

I also don't know what part of my webspace is in any sense on the Ship - there's a link to my website on my profile, but that's it as far as I know.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Further probing found my index.htm file also had a recent modification date and was some 4 times the size it should be. So, I replaced it with the copy from my hard drive.

Also, my avatar is from a file on my webspace - which is why the message appears here. My hypothesis is that you'll get the message opening any page which contains my avatar, but no message on pages which don't.

I'm going to assume that even if I've cleared the malware from my webspace, it'll take time before it's given the all-clear. So, for now to save you all getting that message I'm going to switch to a generic avatar (one that's seasonal for halloween!).

[ 29. October 2012, 07:50: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Killing me] [Overused] You are a paragon of class, Alan.

I'm in the middle of cleaning my hard drive just in case, but thanks for the explanation. Hope your end of things works out well.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still getting that screen (Linux and Chromium) on longer older threads if I try to post. It looks as if it's going to take a time to clear off.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I switched browsers and it cleared in the meantime. All is well here now (Firefox, Explorer, Chrome)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I'm still getting that screen (Linux and Chromium) on longer older threads if I try to post. It looks as if it's going to take a time to clear off.

It takes time for the Ship software to change avatars on all pages. It will do it once someone posts on a thread, but if it hasn't been posted on since the change it tends to take a while - though I've never bothered to find out how long.

--------------------

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Linux + Chromium here too, and just had the same message while trying to post to the UBB Practice thread in Styx.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Problem is, Alan, we're not going to post when we get that message. I'm not bothering to work out how to get past it. So it's going to take the Ship updating for things to move on.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...but succesful with Firefox. However, during the time it took to exit Chromium , switch to Firefox, post to the Practice thread, be told to sign in, sign in, post, preview, and post again, the problem may well have gone away.

So this post is probably useless.

Sorry.

(eta: and I got hit by Flood Control too, which added ~120 seconds to the process.)

[ 29. October 2012, 09:56: Message edited by: St. Stephen the Stoned ]

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I'm not bothering to work out how to get past it.

You click on the "proceed anyway" link just below the big green button that says "Go Back".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I blame the Cuban Missile Crisis - there's been a lot about it in the news recently, being as how it's the Anniversary. A pumpkin sounds much safer....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I found the Control Panel option that seems to have updated everything. Hopefully, that should get rid of the malware message relating to my webspace.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got the same message trying to access Ship-pedia.

I chose GO BACK rather than PROCEED.

Good luck tracking the cause of the problem.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Which is interesting, because I have never posted on the Ship-pedia thread (at least not the current version - I have done so in the past). So, what link to my webspace could possibly be embedded in that thread?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I got the malware notice when I posted on the Shipedia thread this morning, but not until I tried to post. The other thread that was giving me the Malware notice yesterday - All Saints, So that's it then - didn't this morning, but I haven't tried posting on it.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
I just got the same message trying to access Ship-pedia.

I chose GO BACK rather than PROCEED.

Good luck tracking the cause of the problem.

OK, I've tracked that particular problem and have taken steps that should eventually remove it. I'm going to check a few things now I know what's causing the problem and make sure that, as far as possible, I've got everything sorted before taking the Ship down for another maintenance (I didn't want to have to do it a second time, avoiding a third time would be good).

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016