homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rook and Hell (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Rook and Hell
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This (*) is just one remark too far even in hell - especially for an admin. Comments and action please

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
[QUOTE] Thinking that symbolically eating your dead-jew-on-a-stick cult leader somehow makes it OK to cause suffering is also pretty funny, I admit.

Formal complaint about you and your language arriving in the styx now. Racist and bigoted.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As per Hell rules, it's not too far. Feel free to call him to Hell for it, he wasn't posting officially.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What comet said.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jerrytheorganist
Shipmate
# 4720

- Posted      Profile for jerrytheorganist   Email jerrytheorganist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate to ask this, but how can you tell when he is posting officially as an admin or not since he doesn't use any designator to differentiate between admin posts and shipmate posts?
Posts: 94 | From: Plainville, Kansas, United States | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He will sign his posts as an Admin if he's being official, as we all do. if I post something ending with "Hellhost" you call me to Styx. if I don't, feel free to chew my ass out. same goes for all the staff around here. If RooK hasn't signed his post as Admin, he's fair game. give'em hell.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Racist and bigoted.

What's racist about it?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I can't say anything official here.

Unofficially, though, let me admit that the delicious dead-jew-on-a-stick was actually shamelessly stolen from a now-inactive Admin. One that, in days of yore, made me look like a lolcat in a bonnet by comparison.

Your assumptions about how things should be on The Ship might be flawed.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it is okay to advocate killing Jews in the Hell forum and putting their bodies on sticks like popiscles?

{edit - crosspost}

The inactive admin advocated this, you don't and the reference was a tribute? That the referenced admin is inactive, well, sounds like a good idea.

[ 30. November 2012, 02:43: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Formal complaint about you and your language arriving in the styx now. Racist and bigoted.

Given that I may have goaded RooK into typing what he did, I would like to answer your plaint.

Darn.

Did you know that a sense of humor can be a valuable thing?

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
no prophet: So it is okay to advocate killing Jews in the Hell forum and putting their bodies on sticks like popiscles?
RooK wasn't advocating killing Jews in general, no prophet. He was referring (crudely, yes), as I'm sure you're well aware, to a specific practice within Christendom.

[cross-posted with cross-posts galore]

[ 30. November 2012, 02:50: Message edited by: Mullygrub ]

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
So it is okay to advocate killing Jews in the Hell forum and putting their bodies on sticks like popiscles?

{edit - crosspost}

The inactive admin advocated this, you don't and the reference was a tribute? That the referenced admin is inactive, well, sounds like a good idea.

Is there some bonus in life for taking everything at face value?
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Is there some bonus in life for taking everything at face value?

Requires less of that annoying "thinking" stuff?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you actually think that was what Rook was referring to, then clearly this is NOT a Christian website because obvious references to weekly Christian practices are sailing right over the Shipmates' heads!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
no prophet: BWA HA HA HA HA HA!

Good luck trying choke down that wildly-reaching inflammatory interpretation.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

If you actually think that was what Rook was referring to, then clearly this is NOT a Christian website because obvious references to weekly Christian practices are sailing right over the Shipmates' heads!
What orfeo said, and where were you and ! the last 473 times RooK made this joke?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One person's joke is another's Commandment 1 violation.

Unfortunately- actually fortunately, I am in no position to throw stones.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyway, he wasn't advocating murder as such, just cannibalism. Or, rather, NOT advocating it. Duh.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
.... made me look like a lolcat in a bonnet by comparison.

That's how I shall always think of you from now on.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Given that I may have goaded RooK into typing what he did, I would like to answer your plaint.

Darn.

Did you know that a sense of humor can be a valuable thing?

Yes it is - but it can also be wasted. I do not see any humour in the kind of comment I refer to.

There's no requirement for humour in this circumstance when the original comment is a 1st commandment violation. The fact that Rook has "Admin" by his name seemingly means he can do what he likes when others get called: that's a sense of humour failure in itself let alone the fact that he now admits to plagiarising filth and racism - why, the guy can't even do it for himself!

[ 30. November 2012, 07:24: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I wouldn't have called a regular shipmate on that one either. Do you get what he was saying?

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fact that Rook has "Admin" by his name seemingly means he can do what he likes when others get called

Please provide some evidence for this and I assure you we will investigate it.

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rook is engaged in trolling, as far as I can see.

quote:

Don't mind me; just rambling and laughing at the impressive display of religious "morals".

quote:
I'm amused by people bumbling around justifications primarily based on "just cause". Because it's revealing about how they probably came to many of their other beliefs.

Although I suppose that Marv's cobra dance of philosophy has caused much of the morality parade to blunder off a cliff. Still, it would be nice to hear even one hand-wringer to summon something like, "I believe that how we treat defenseless entities says something about us".

quote:
How others think they meet their own moral standards is what's funny. "The instruction manual is ambiguous!" is pure hilarity. Thinking that symbolically eating your dead-jew-on-a-stick cult leader somehow makes it OK to cause suffering is also pretty funny, I admit.
He is playing with us because he thinks it is funny. He likes to make deliberately offensive remarks and then stand back and laugh at the reaction.

He might be a wonderful site admin, I've no idea. But his posts tend towards trolling.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Would it be OK if he made fun of Buddhists?
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it is a toughie, but it strikes me that there is an issue about engagement. Having a row in Hell and calling someone names is one thing. But making silly comments with no intention of engaging and only for the purpose of having a laugh is trolling, surely.

The former involves some kind of engagement with individuals and what they're saying. The latter is just a form of stirring for your own amusement.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Would it be OK if he made fun of Buddhists?

Moreover, would it be OK if he made fun of Buddha? Buddhists might be offended, but it was a Hell post, and it wouldn't have been a slight on Buddhism just as RooK's post wasn't a slight on Judaism or Jews; just a remark in bad taste about one guy, who was a Jew.

If bad taste was 10C violation that Zoophilia thread wouldn't have got beyond three posts.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

If bad taste was 10C violation that Zoophilia thread wouldn't have got beyond three posts.

Yes, but everyone else was attempting to engage, albeit on a subject we all found uncomfortable. RooK seems only interested in stirring.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

If RooK wasn't engaging give him shit for it on the thread. Call him to Hell. Send him a pm expressing your dissatisfaction.

He was not posting as an admin. He simply cannot post without the admin thing showing up. RooK is always clear when he is posting in an official capacity. You know this to be true.

If not engaging is a 10C offense most of us should be banned.

IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rook:
symbolically eating your dead-jew-on-a-stick cult leader

Umm, in what way, exactly, is this not a perfectly adequate interpretation of the Eucharist?

Jesus was a Jew, he died on a stick, and the Eucharist represents symbolically his body.

Rook's language might offend you, if you're the kind of person momma still tucks in at night, but then since when did you have a right to not be offended by stuff?

You don't like it? Scroll past.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
quote:
Originally posted by Rook:
symbolically eating your dead-jew-on-a-stick cult leader

Umm, in what way, exactly, is this not a perfectly adequate interpretation of the Eucharist?
If that's all there is to it, why do many of us bother to repeat it week after week?

I find the phrase offensive, as offensive as I would find "shoving your prong up her pisshole" to be a description of the sex act.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I find the phrase offensive, as offensive as I would find "shoving your prong up her pisshole" to be a description of the sex act.

But it is a reasonably accurate description, no? I probably wouldn't use it myself, particularly if I were attempting to engage in the activity it is attempting to describe, but still...

Do you believe you have a right not to be offended?

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a while since we had a ITTWACW

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Humour or intent is both within the mind of the person posting and the person reading. It took two trials to find David Ahenakew not guilty of hate speech in Canada for hate speech about Jews. I suggest more care in what is posted that might attract such legal attention. We've seen care taken to limit possible exposure of the ship to legal action. I think you're damn close here, at least within Canadian law, and I would like to be certain before we simply laugh it all off. It appear anti-semitic to me. Regardless of the spin or sense of humour anyone suggests it intended. And no, I had never hear of this expression referring to crucifixion of Jesus before as a middle aged, well educated western Canadian.

There's more than just scrolling past. I think we should care what the wider community of casual readers might think and what they might want to do about it.

Judge finds Ahenakew not guilty in 2nd hate trial.

[ 30. November 2012, 12:22: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Look, would people STOP reading this as some kind of attack on Jews?

I thought it was so obvious that it didn't need saying, but apparently it DOES need saying.

The Jew in question is Jesus. Okay? It is a reference to one, specific Jew, and it isn't actually Jews who have a particular attachment to the Jew in question. Seeing as how he founded an entire new religion that they don't agree with.

So call it offensive if you want, or vulgar. But accusations of anti-Semitism over a dig at Christianity are missing the point so spectacularly that it's breathtaking.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is a reference to one, specific Jew, and it isn't actually Jews who have a particular attachment to the Jew in question. Seeing as how he founded an entire new religion that they don't agree with.

<theological pedant tangent. Because I can't help myself>

Those that formed the earliest attachment to Jesus were Jews. Gentile Christianity came later with Paul.

And he didn't found an entirely new religion. He had a specific take on his religion and a new-er religion was founded around that.

As for Rook's comments. He's was just being an insensitive dick. On purpose. Like wot Amanda B. Reckondwyth said.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
<theological pedant tangent. Because I can't help myself>

The pedantry and the inability are both duly noted.

My basic point still stands. A reference to a Jew is not automatically an indication that Jews are being targeted, and it says a great deal about the kind of mindset that has developed in the post-Holocaust era which makes the merest reference to anything of Jewish origin into a cause for some people to hit the panic button.

Never mind the debate about whether people have a right not to be offended. They certainly do not, in my book, have the right to not be offended by things that weren't even about the alleged ground of offence.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My basic point still stands. A reference to a Jew is not automatically an indication that Jews are being targeted, and it says a great deal about the kind of mindset that has developed in the post-Holocaust era which makes the merest reference to anything of Jewish origin into a cause for some people to hit the panic button.

I personally saw the racism and bigotry as directed towards Christians, not Jews.

He was having a fun time taking the piss of the religious before that in the women bishops thread. That line was just the icing on the religious cake.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

quote:
I thought it was so obvious that it didn't need saying, but apparently it DOES need saying.

You're assuming a minimum level of reading comprehension.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
[QUOTE] They certainly do not, in my book, have the right to not be offended by things that weren't even about the alleged ground of offence.

That's your book - others read from a different library like the good post moderns we are.

What, for Rook is truth dressed up as a so called tongue in cheek dig at Christianity, is, for others, offensive, racist and bigoted and they reserve the right to believe and/or respond in that manner.

Who knows? IRL Rook is probably kind to animals, actually likes his parents and goes to church every week? On line he comes across on occasion as someone who is a pseudo troll, delighting in the wind up not the debate. His responses are classically symptomatic of the bully.

[ 30. November 2012, 13:38: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Are you suggesting RooK should not dig at Christianity because you can't take the heat or because Christianity can't take the heat?
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You're assuming a minimum level of reading comprehension.
Exactly.

IMO, as a former believer, RooK's pokes at Christianity are refreshing. I lurked for some time before joining SoF, including while devotedly attending to assorted church duties and swallowing the Party Line whole.

Even then, I found RooK's pokes not only funny, but also educational and thought-provoking. It's useful to be reminded occasionally of just how ludicrous Christian mythology -- oh, excuse me, the Truth -- can appear to those outside the Fold.

If you're within that Fold, it's very valuable to know what you're up again when attempting to evangelize those from beyond the pale, where RooK has staked his personal tent.

Think of "jew-on-a-stick" as a teachable moment for yourself, and unravel that knot in your knickers.

[ 30. November 2012, 14:03: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Porridge is correct.

Just now and again I am maddened into actually saying how daft/arrogant/weird/intolerant etc a Christian viewpoint appears to me, from my preferred philosophy. I don't have Rook's turn for picturesque derision, so it probably escapes notice.

But really, you should see yourselves sometimes.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For fuck's sake, get over your selves. Do you want the return and enforcement of the old blasphemy laws? I realize that our precious new hate speech laws are just the blasphemy laws suited up for the secular humanist religion, but do you really want to go down the words-hurt road on the ship?

Besides, when RooK is in his best, bullying, dead-jew-on-a-stick form, that's when he's at his cuddliest.

Just learn to feel the love, dammit.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I can't think of many other situations where taking the piss out of somebody for being tortured to death is considered funny. I don't see how the fact that it is Jesus being referenced makes it OK. I am really at a loss.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear Hell exists for the purpose of expressing these feelings and then hugging it out with people who share them.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Slugging it out', shurely?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ExclamationMark:
quote:
Who knows? IRL Rook is probably kind to animals...
I have a vague recollection that RooK once rushed a mouse to an emergency vet. The Denizens treasured that one. [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I'm less interested in opinions of Rook than I am in the contents of the phrase and its interpretation. I happened to go to a university meeting this morning, with a particularly dim-witted group, much like me, all PhDs. The phrase had not occurred to any of them, and one of the group saw the possible humourous intent, no-one thought it amusing, and all thought that if would be the matter of a hearing if it came up in a university context. In some parts of the world, by particularly stupidly educated people it is immediately seem as anti-semitic. It is understood that the ship's choir doesn't care.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I find the phrase offensive.

But it is a reasonably accurate description, no?
Actually, no, it isn't.

1. He wasn't dead when he instituted the Eucharist.

2. He isn't dead now.

3. The phrase "dead Jew on a stick" is, in the most charitable interpretation possible, an oversimplification of the redemptive act.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Humour or intent is both within the mind of the person posting and the person reading.

Yes, we realise that some readers are going to be utterly stupid and unable to discern the meaning of anything more complex than "the cat sat on the mat". That's hardly our fault though.

quote:
It took two trials to find David Ahenakew not guilty of hate speech in Canada for hate speech about Jews.
If you can't tell the difference between someone calling Jews a "disease" and someone describing in a humorously precise way what the Eucharistic Feast is then that's hardly our fault either.

quote:
I suggest more care in what is posted that might attract such legal attention. We've seen care taken to limit possible exposure of the ship to legal action. I think you're damn close here, at least within Canadian law, and I would like to be certain before we simply laugh it all off.
FYI, we take threats of legal action against the Ship very seriously. Even when they're couched in terms of "I'd never dream of doing this, oh no, but wouldn't it be terrible if someone did..."

What was said is not against any Ship guideline, and it is not antisemitic by any reasonable definition of that term.

quote:
It appear anti-semitic to me.
Then you're wrong. Others have already explained very clearly why, and if you haven't got it yet I don't see why I should bother trying to explain again.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Styx Host Tiara On

The Styx is for the discussion of Ship’s business. Discussing whether or not such a remark is appropriate for a Crew Member posting on a board where pretty much anything goes along as it’s not illegal in a private capacity is within scope if you stretch a point. But such a discussion would work better as a Hell call.

As this is the Styx, please stick to discussing the behaviour, not the person. The 10 Commandments apply in the Styx and personal attacks are not permitted. If you want to make accusations of trolling or describe another poster as an “insensitive dick”, then Hell is a few boards down.

Styx Host Tiara Off

Tubbs
Styx Host

[ 30. November 2012, 15:32: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In some parts of the world, by particularly stupidly educated people it is immediately seem as anti-semitic.

Your initial reaction was that RooK was "advocat[ing] killing Jews in the Hell forum and putting their bodies on sticks like popiscles". If that utterly inaccurate bastardisation of what was actually said is how you presented it to your university colleagues I'm sure they would find it antisemitic.

If, on the other hand, you gave them the actual comment in its actual context, then I'd have to agree that they're pretty damn stupid.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016