homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Query

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Query
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Sorry, we do not permit the following HTML tag or attribute: eval'

What does the above mean ? I have written a comment without any tags of any kind.

Are these ( ) banned ?

No idea what eval followed by half a parenthisis means.

Very frustrating as quite along for me post
Please help !

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone who remembers better than me will be along shortly but the simplified versions is:

The software that runs these boards is old, it has some vagaries that nobody found odd (all software had them a decade ago) and that this sometimes turns up these sorts of messages. You can tell they are not that common, if they were some kind grandee would have turned them into something even more opaque than ancient computer speak. A half translation is that somewhere in what you typed in was something the software mistakenly thought was a bit of web page coding.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imersge Canfield:
Are these ( ) banned ?

Things that the parsing engine recognizes as script syntax gets punted hard. This can happen accidentally, generally when set modifiers such as ( ) are placed near programming reserved words.

Try using a different word, or different brackets.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it is a web address for a link - you can use tinyurl to get round the problem.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all very much for this. Trying to understand.

After I made a copy for myself and then removed the brackets and added a low lying comma instead it then went through fine. I had been getting flummoxed, as it wouldnt let me quote directly to show the problem ! Boy was i getting flummoxed ! Afraid of losing what I'd managed to come up with.(my 'deep thought' as they have it) [Smile]

Much appreciated.

--------------------

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to show exactly what you were trying to type without the software throwing a hissy fit, you can enclose it within code tags.

code:
Like this

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
If you want to show exactly what you were trying to type without the software throwing a hissy fit, you can enclose it within code tags.

code:
Like this

Thank you for this. But how do I get or locate such tags like that ?

Sorry to be so higorant.

--------------------

Inger
Shipmate
# 15285

- Posted      Profile for Inger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you click on the little button marked 'code' you'll get two tags you can type between.

Edited to add: if you want to see how other people have done things, just click on the quote marks, as if you wanted to quote the post you're replying to.

[ 20. December 2012, 12:48: Message edited by: Inger ]

Posts: 332 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone change the thread title to reflect more clearly what the Overlords think of Query-ies?

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

quote:
Originally posted by Inger:
If you click on the little button marked 'code' you'll get two tags you can type between.

Edited to add: if you want to see how other people have done things, just click on the quote marks, as if you wanted to quote the post you're replying to.

Many thanks for this. I'll give it a go.

--------------------

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It often turns up with some odd combination of the word 'medieval' (hence the 'eval' bit) and brackets.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(having just tested it, it's when you open a bracket directly after a word such as 'medieval' with/without a space)

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016