homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hell Thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell Thread
Craigie
Apprentice
# 17364

- Posted      Profile for Craigie   Email Craigie       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live by myself and find going to church difficult because of my rural location, so over the years I have worshipped quite happily by buying Worship CDs and singing along. That was until recently...in order to save money (I am told), some companies are not including the lyrics. [brick wall]
Even worse some are sending me to an obscure website so I can print off the lyrics myself! If I spend £10-15 on a CD I expect to be able to sing along with the lyrics. I do not want to have A4 files of lyrics for all my future CDs. (I live in a one bedroom flat!) So Christian music Companies, if you want people to enjoy your music and not have CDs thrown in the back of a cupboard because its to much hassle to print off, organise and find the lyrics to go with them, stop cutting corners and GIVE US THE LYRICS WITH THE CD!
I consign those idiots who think it is a good idea to save a bit of money by cutting the lyrics to hell! [Mad]

[Worship CDs Without Lyrics]

[ 11. February 2013, 06:42: Message buggered about with by: comet ]

--------------------
The End is Nigh.

Posts: 15 | From: Middle of Nowhere | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm ...

There are other ways to worship rather than simply by singing hymns and worship songs, Craigie. There are plenty of good 'Daily Office' type books, prayer books, liturgies and so on ... and you get words with those too ...

[Big Grin] [Biased]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just imagine all the time you will not have to spend in purgatory for proclaiming the heretical nonsense found in most worship songs.

Fly safe Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Hmmm ...

There are other ways to worship rather than simply by singing hymns and worship songs, Craigie. There are plenty of good 'Daily Office' type books, prayer books, liturgies and so on ... and you get words with those too ...

[Big Grin] [Biased]

Perhaps we could have a whip-round and send him a Rosary in the post?

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realise people still bought CDs...

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, his profile says that he's into leather and bindings, so perhaps he could lash himself with it?

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mortification of the flesh and prayer. Has Hell become holy all of a sudden? [Devil]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Well, it couldn't have become more Hellish than the invocation of worship CDs. So the only way was up after that ...

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
I didn't realise people still bought CDs...

This people does.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the CDs I buy have the lyrics in Latin.

However, you could always buy one by Gorecki - I can let you have the lyrics for free. They go: Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria.... There, that wasn't too hard, was it?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Craigie, BTW, welcome to Hell and the Ship. [Smile]

My, the Denizens are being very hospitable. I'm just not sure if that is a good thing or a scary thing. [Paranoid]

But what the hey! again, welcome!

[ 02. November 2012, 23:42: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
My, the Denizens are being very hospitable. I'm just not sure if that is a good thing or a scary thing. [Paranoid]

Young meat has to be roasted slowly, at low heat.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see. I was afraid of that.

And if it isn't a slowly cooked Crown Roast of Lamb, it still could be lamb tartar. Poor Craigie. [Help] [Votive]

[Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a first world problem to me.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind the lyric sheet, I've heard some which would be improved by omitting the CD.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could always try songs without words for your worship/praying/meditation needs.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Craigie, what the ever loving fuck is the matter with you? Right off the top of my head I can come up with about eleventy-six solutions to your problem that would mean never having to break a sweat. Aside from those, you could do what the rest of humanity has been doing for, oh, bazillions of years and listen to the motherfucking songs to learn your lyrics and melody! Wow, huh? Crazy.

you, my little apprentice whippersnapper, need to get the fuck out of the house more and face real people and the real world. Then you'll have plenty to talk about in hell. Meanwhile, watch and learn or I'll feed you to Sioni.

you precious little tool, you.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Sounds like a first world problem to me.

Like most of the ship's effluence .......

Poor us.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Craigie
Apprentice
# 17364

- Posted      Profile for Craigie   Email Craigie       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your comments! I think I should clarify a few things. Firstly, I like modern worship music, old worship music, hymns and ancient polyphony and liturgical music. I love to embrace all styles and lurch into them as the mood takes. I love having such a wealth of music to enjoy.
I also love using Office Books and modern prayer books.
However, learning the lyrics from just listening to them is asking for problems. I have a slight hearing issue and have tried this before. When I roll up to an actual church and then try the sing the song I've learnt, especially if I have my eyes closed (got to fit in and look holy!) I sing the wrong words or have got the tune wrong. Either way it is embarassing. (I think the penchant of modern worship singers to use loud electric guitars and bass causes this problem and can distort some words!
It is also worth mentioning that I can remember the exact words of practically every worship song I sang in my youth...now I am older I seem to have lost capacity...as Homer Simpson has said in the past, "Every time I stuff something new in there, something else falls out!".
It would be so much easier to just have the lyrics with the CD!

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Craigie:
However, learning the lyrics from just listening to them is asking for problems. I have a slight hearing issue and have tried this before. When I roll up to an actual church and then try the sing the song I've learnt, especially if I have my eyes closed (got to fit in and look holy!) I sing the wrong words or have got the tune wrong. Either way it is embarassing. (I think the penchant of modern worship singers to use loud electric guitars and bass causes this problem and can distort some words!

A simple solution to this problem would be to avoid churches that go in for that sort of crap and find a place that uses hymn books/sheets and don't go in for ego fuelled Worship Bands.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I love to embrace all styles and lurch into them as the mood takes.

So that's what the awful scraping noise is - Craigie will you please stop bumping my stylus - I'm trying to meditate you know! [Mad]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Craigie
Apprentice
# 17364

How about actaully using your brain and looking at the lyrics to see if they actually give worship to God. It really frustrates me that people write off all modern worship music off because of a perceived bias or false image. There is bad modern worship, there is also good. There are bad hymns and there are also good. Didn't St. Paul say we should test everything, reject what is evil and embrace what is good? I know it's a lot more work to actually engage and make decisions about music based on their actual merits...maybe being a musical bigot who wipes out whole genres of music is much simpler!!!! [Disappointed]

--------------------
The End is Nigh.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all very simple:

You memorise the words Om Nama Sivaiya* and sing that to whatever tune comes along.

*this is the basic song of praise to God for and from the creation in Sanskrit.

- - - -

...and thanks to Ariston for the link to Philip Glass - superb!

[ 03. November 2012, 09:19: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Google not your friend?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Craigie, what the ever loving fuck is the matter with you? Right off the top of my head I can come up with about eleventy-six solutions to your problem that would mean never having to break a sweat. Aside from those, you could do what the rest of humanity has been doing for, oh, bazillions of years and listen to the motherfucking songs to learn your lyrics and melody! Wow, huh? Crazy.

you, my little apprentice whippersnapper, need to get the fuck out of the house more and face real people and the real world. Then you'll have plenty to talk about in hell. Meanwhile, watch and learn or I'll feed you to Sioni.

you precious little tool, you.

She's baa-aaack. [Devil]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think you're answering your own question, Craigie. If you're using resources like prayer books and liturgies then I don't see the issue in CDs coming with no lyric sheet. Heck, you can find the lyrics of every song, hymn, akathist or trisagion that's ever been written online. As Boogie has said.

Just Google them. It's easy.

I must admit that I am also having a problem envisaging your difficulty in getting to church, unless you have mobility issues.

Surely the most out-of-the-way villages and hamlets in Dorset have a parish church. Unless you're commuting into one of the bigger towns then I can't see what the issue is. Do you live on top of some Hardy-esque blasted heath or something?

If your worship tastes are as eclectic as you claim then surely you wouldn't mind a 1662 service, say, at some mildewed and crepuscular parish church down some forgotten dingle or the family-friendly service at your local county town?

I could go all Comet-like but I'm remaining rather welcoming and purgatorial.

The solution is simple:

If the CD doesn't come with a lyric sheet then go online and download the lyrics of whatever hymns or worship songs happen to be on there.

What's so difficult about that?

Alternatively, buy a copy of Hymns Ancient and Modern or something. I don't have that many hymn books in relation to other kinds of book, but we must have about half a dozen of various genres and vintages lying about the house.

I'm beginning to think that you're slightly daft as well as slightly deaf.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would just add if the CD refers you to a specific site for lyrics go there rather than Google as there are a few dodgy lyrics sites that your computer can pick up a nasty bug from, though most are legit.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Gamaliel, not every village and hamlet in Dorset has a church and those that do don't get weekly services any more, necessarily. Last time I looked, the parishes (three of them variously) I used to live in are part of a cluster of 18 churches, grouped into three groups of 6, with two clergy to man the lot. Three of those churches are in towns. That was a year or so ago.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The solution is simple:

If the CD doesn't come with a lyric sheet then go online and download the lyrics of whatever hymns or worship songs happen to be on there.

What's so difficult about that?

Did you even read the OP?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Craigie
Apprentice
# 17364

quote:
I must admit that I am also having a problem envisaging your difficulty in getting to church, unless you have mobility issues.
Do you not think that there might be reasons why I am not going to church? I am an intelligent man, I know how a door works and I am certainly able to use a map! I do have problems but I am certainly not going to share them with an insensitive stranger in hell!

quote:
I'm beginning to think that you're slightly daft as well as slightly deaf.
It seems to me that you are either incredibly insensitive or downright discriminatory towards people who have disabilities!

Maybe you should trust that most normal people when they say they have a difficulty getting to church have a genuine reason, and maybe they don't want to make a bloody big issue about it because of the kind of insensitive claptrap that comes out of the spewing recesses of supposedly caring Christians! [Projectile]

I would like nothing better than to be an active member of a local, loving and caring fellowship or church of any denomination. Sadly, at the moment that is not possible. My hope is that one day it will be...probably by moving!

--------------------
The End is Nigh.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

You tell em!

Idjets.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Craigie
Apprentice
# 17364

quote:
Why the hell should I fire up by laptop and search online everytime I want to use a CD. Bearing in mind I would have to search for each song which hardly adds the the seemless worship time I had in mind! Apart from the time it takes, the presumption I have a computer with me all the time at home, there is the cost in electricity and the environmental impact.
I return to my original point...it is much easier to include the lyrics with the CD. Christian CDs have had lyrics included since the 80's and before on records and tapes. The only reason I was given from the company for the lack of lyrics was that it cost them more to include them. In other words they will sell the CD at the same cost (note that the savings they make don't get passed on) and as a free gift you can use your laptop and waste time, energy and increase your carbon footprint. I would rather pay a £1 more to have the lyrics.
I would also point out that Christian artists have in the past become popular because Christians have sung along to their music. If publishers are putting their music out there without lyrics then they are doing these people a disservice. [Disappointed]

--------------------
The End is Nigh.

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do have problems but I am certainly not going to share them with an insensitive stranger in hell!
quote:

Maybe you should trust that most normal people when they say they have a difficulty getting to church have a genuine reason, and maybe they don't want to make a bloody big issue about it because of the kind of insensitive claptrap that comes out of the spewing recesses of supposedly caring Christians!

People are being very polite to you in deference to your (apparent) newness. I think you're a troll, so feel free to fuck off.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Craigie
Apprentice
# 17364

quote:
People are being very polite to you in deference to your (apparent) newness. I think you're a troll, so feel free to fuck off.
The deinition of a troll is as follows:-
"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

I am certainly not this and in fact I was reacting to this kind of behaviour towards me. I was having a genuine rant about an issue that frustrates me, hoping to have a groundswell of equal frustration from others and certainly did not expect someone to attack me personally in a discriminatory fashion. I would also point out that your response would come under the definition of a troll...it seems you have fallen upon you own sword. [Killing me]

--------------------
The End is Nigh.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Why the hell should I fire up by laptop and search online everytime I want to use a CD.
Because you want to sing along to it? Have you thought about having them ready in advance of your worship time?

People have far, far worse situations to adapt to!

It won't be long before CDs are obsolete - will you then trot along to hell again for another pointless rant?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
I return to my original point...it is much easier to include the lyrics with the CD. Christian CDs have had lyrics included since the 80's and before on records and tapes. The only reason I was given from the company for the lack of lyrics was that it cost them more to include them. In other words they will sell the CD at the same cost (note that the savings they make don't get passed on) and as a free gift you can use your laptop and waste time, energy and increase your carbon footprint.

Let's face it. EVERYBODY is doing this. Virtually every company I deal with is saying "oh dear, we don't want to have to mail stuff out to you, can't we just email you instead and then if it's important you can print it out yourself". The whole goal is to spread the cost out to each individual customer/user, rather than have them bear the centralised cost.

(And my response more often than not is: no, you freaking well can't email me instead. Emails are like flies to be swatted. I like getting tangible letters in my letterbox, if you actually want me to pay attention to your messages that's the way to do it.)

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Let's face it. EVERYBODY is doing this. Virtually every company I deal with is saying "oh dear, we don't want to have to mail stuff out to you, can't we just email you instead and then if it's important you can print it out yourself". The whole goal is to spread the cost out to each individual customer/user, rather than have them bear the centralised cost.

The government is doing it too - schools are no longer sent paper copies of govt documents unless they specifically ask for them (and pay, I think)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
It won't be long before CDs are obsolete - will you then trot along to hell again for another pointless rant?

If Craigie doesn't, I bloody well will. Every time I've done a direct comparison, I've come to the same conclusion: that the quality of music downloads is shit.

Add to that the fact that downloads create more market barriers (ie I can easily buy a CD from the UK or USA of music that was never released in Australia, but can't purchase from the iTunes stores in those countries), you're going to have to prise my CD collection from my cold, dead hands. And even then I'll probably still rise up and flay you.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

I would like nothing better than to be an active member of a local, loving and caring fellowship or church of any denomination. Sadly, at the moment that is not possible. My hope is that one day it will be...probably by moving!

So what's with the broken ankle?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The deinition of a troll is as follows:-
"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

I am certainly not this and in fact I was reacting to this kind of behaviour towards me. I was having a genuine rant about an issue that frustrates me, hoping to have a groundswell of equal frustration from others and certainly did not expect someone to attack me personally in a discriminatory fashion. I would also point out that your response would come under the definition of a troll...it seems you have fallen upon you own sword. [Killing me]

The speed of your response upon getting a nibble confirms my suspicion.
Inger
Shipmate
# 15285

- Posted      Profile for Inger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not into buying hymns on CD, but I'm completely on the side of Craigie in calling to Hell cheapskate CD producers of whatever kind who won't include texts with their disks.

Not everyone has access to the internet even today. I would resent a CD of, say, Schubert songs that came without texts.

Posts: 332 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How about actually using your brain and looking at the lyrics to see if they actually give worship to God. It really frustrates me that people write off all modern worship music off because of a perceived bias or false image. There is bad modern worship, there is also good. There are bad hymns and there are also good. Didn't St. Paul say we should test everything, reject what is evil and embrace what is good? I know it's a lot more work to actually engage and make decisions about music based on their actual merits...maybe being a musical bigot who wipes out whole genres of music is much simpler!!!! [Disappointed]

I've heard this defence of modern Christian music that it 'gives worship to God' before. It is, all too often, a cover for mere repetition of a selected translation of scripture and that which reads well off the page usually, no, almost invariably, makes for dull, contrived and downright bad songs!

Lyrics are but a part of a song. I'm not surprised you get the tunes wrong; many of them are counter-intuitive and, and .... (cont'd on Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns, p94).

Let me save you time and money: sample the songs on-line, buy only the tracks you want and that should save you a small fortune.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

passer:
quote:
The speed of your response upon getting a nibble confirms my suspicion.
Nah. Sounds like a typical newbie who has wandered into Hell without his asbestos undies.

I liked the touch of ITTWACW, too.
quote:
insensitive claptrap that comes out of the spewing recesses of supposedly caring Christians!
Craigie, dear heart, you are in Hell. Along with groundswells you'll find gopher holes. Ya just gotta deal. I thought it rather foolishly intrepid to make a whole "Today I consign to hell..." thread when there is a perfectly good thread already open on which to post a concise rant, but now you've got your party. Enjoy.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You really aren't worshipping with music unless you have learned to sing all the Psalms in their original Hebrew.

Anything less than that is just dicking around.

Or, find God however you can find God and take comfort in that.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It seems to me that you are either incredibly insensitive or downright discriminatory towards people who have disabilities!

I must have missed where you mentioned disabilities. Your OP said you couldn't attend church "because of my rural location."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

I must have missed where you mentioned disabilities. Your OP said you couldn't attend church "because of my rural location."
trip-trap, trip-trap.....
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I'm so naive. [Frown]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

No, I'm not insensitive to people with disabilities, nor am I insensitive as to reasons why people might choose not to attend church regularly - that's up to them. I was only engaging with the OP (which I did read, by the way, Evensong) which suggested that it was the rural location that was the issue - and yes, I would bow to Curiosity Killed's local knowledge on this one ...

If you'd have said that you didn't want to attend church regularly partly because of location difficulties and also for personal reasons you didn't want to share then I'd have understood that and been cool with it.

As it is, you posted something that sounded rather lame to myself and various other posters here - such as Boogie.

And as this is Hell it's the place where people get insulted. I post differently here to how I would post in Purgatory or Heaven (during my rare visits there) or any of the other Boards.

Stick around and you'll hear a mantra in Hell that runs 'This is not a Christian board' - there aren't just Christians here, there are Buddhists, atheists and sometimes the occasional Muslim or Jewish person.

So don't get all morally outraged about supposedly caring Christians on a board like this. It's 'The Magazine of Christian Unrest'.

That doesn't mean that posters don't support each other - there are threads and boards for that. Hell isn't one of them.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

That doesn't mean that posters don't support each other - there are threads and boards for that. Hell isn't one of them.

Exactly.

In fact, if you pop back to Ecclesiantics, Craigie, you will see that I suggested an online Church which does live services every Wednesday.

What confused me is that you said the reason you couldn't get to services was temporary and due to a broken ankle. Here the story seems to be rural location and/or disability.

[ 03. November 2012, 16:28: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016