homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hell Thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell Thread
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell is, however, a good place to find out what happens when you try passive aggressive moves to amuse yourself.

Personally, I don't like modern worship music. This is probably because it is hard to sing, or it is too . . . something . . . for me. If you like it whatsyourname, more power to you.

However, if you are going to do a lame rant to set people up for giving you your jollies by playing the "I'm disabled" card, you might want to try a more introspective style of worship.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Craigie has her/his chosen likes in music and worship styles (perhaps quite different from mine) as is his/her right. She/he says difficulties in getting to a worship place of choice are involved and that's nobody else's business. Questioning that is just plain rudeness. (Sure, this is Hell and insults are fine, but even in hell there may be aspects of a person's personal situation that ought better be left alone.) Also, the OP did not seem troll-like to me.

Why not direct ire at the money-grubbing capitalists who constantly devise ways to provide less service for more money. The music "industry" is one of the more flamboyant examples of the evils of mega-corporate capitalism, and i've found that those who make religion the milieu of their marketing hustle tend to be as lacking in ethics, if not more, as their fellow hustlers.

[ 03. November 2012, 16:54: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
you, my little apprentice whippersnapper, need to get the fuck out of the house more and face real people and the real world.

He lives in Dorset, so I can assure you he is taking the appropriate course of action and staying in doors, thereby reducing the chances of being stuffed into a wicker effigy and set on fire.

I live there too, and I survive on my cunning and a set of flame-proof overalls.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Craigie,

Others have filled you in on many of the features of the Ship of Fools in general and this place in particular, but if sympathy, empathy, support and healing prayer are needed, then All Saints is where you want to be. Not here.

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't think having printed lyrics which come with the CD will solve all your problems - I learnt years ago that most of the enclosed lyrics have more mistakes in them than the partially-sighted drunken chief scribe of Forde Abbey's Psalter. And that's saying something.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I see. I was afraid of that.

And if it isn't a slowly cooked Crown Roast of Lamb, it still could be lamb tartar. Poor Craigie. [Help] [Votive]

Hey!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Craigie:
quote:
Is Google not your friend?
Why the hell should I fire up by laptop and search online everytime I want to use a CD. Bearing in mind I would have to search for each song which hardly adds the the seemless worship time I had in mind! Apart from the time it takes, the presumption I have a computer with me all the time at home, there is the cost in electricity and the environmental impact.
I return to my original point...it is much easier to include the lyrics with the CD. Christian CDs have had lyrics included since the 80's and before on records and tapes. The only reason I was given from the company for the lack of lyrics was that it cost them more to include them. In other words they will sell the CD at the same cost (note that the savings they make don't get passed on) and as a free gift you can use your laptop and waste time, energy and increase your carbon footprint. I would rather pay a £1 more to have the lyrics.
I would also point out that Christian artists have in the past become popular because Christians have sung along to their music. If publishers are putting their music out there without lyrics then they are doing these people a disservice. [Disappointed]

Hang on, do you physically use your CDs on your laptop - as in, you haven't uploaded them to Media Player/whatever program you use? Obviously you'll have to waste time faffing around then, when you could just create your own playlists beforehand which would play seamlessly. Or if you want new music, use a service like Spotify or even youtube playlists. Unfortunately I think you have to choose between the quality of music on CD and the ease of digital music. As for lyrics, the bonus with downloading them in pdf format or whatever is that the font size etc can be changed. I always struggled to read lyrics that came with CDs. I think technology would improve your experience, not harm it.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
I survive on my cunning and a set of flame-proof overalls.

Hope they are damn good overalls. [Razz]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Hang on, do you physically use your CDs on your laptop - as in, you haven't uploaded them to Media Player/whatever program you use? Obviously you'll have to waste time faffing around then, when you could just create your own playlists beforehand which would play seamlessly. Or if you want new music, use a service like Spotify or even youtube playlists. Unfortunately I think you have to choose between the quality of music on CD and the ease of digital music. As for lyrics, the bonus with downloading them in pdf format or whatever is that the font size etc can be changed. I always struggled to read lyrics that came with CDs. I think technology would improve your experience, not harm it.

I realize I'm old and all, but I suspect Craigie uses an actually CD player. you can see them in museums - big boxy things with speakers. they require no use of computers at all. kinda nifty if you're into retro.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hang on, do you physically use your CDs on your laptop - as in, you haven't uploaded them to Media Player/whatever program you use?

This may surprise you, but there are still those of us who listen to CDs without any form of personal computer involved whatsoever. We have these bits of equipment called "stereos".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
beacha to it, Mr Big Bad Ray Gun. [Razz]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear God, Marvin and Comet are channeling each other.

I hope it doesn't lead to dancing.

x-post.

[ 03. November 2012, 23:49: Message edited by: Patdys ]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One Infernal Dance coming right up.

No lyrics. But a damn good piece of music.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:

I realize I'm old and all, but I suspect Craigie uses an actually CD player. you can see them in museums - big boxy things with speakers. they require no use of computers at all. kinda nifty if you're into retro.
Well yes, but I was referring to his comments on having to turn on the laptop every time he wants song lyrics. If the laptop is on already why use a stereo...? May as well just use the laptop for everything involved in the worship session.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of lyric sites are crowd-sourced, meaning they are not the author's definitive version. They may include inaccuracies, although crowd-sourcing (as in Wikipedia and the like) does lead to refinement and accuracy over time.

For the particular genre, hymns/worship songs that are still in copyright are difficult or even impossible to find publicly available online.

I too like to see lyrics and texts in the media that I buy, which is primarily physical CDs. We have to specify our audio and video separately for contents insurance; the general policy caps claims at $2,500, and we probably have around 10 times that.

Only yesterday I was playing my two disc (vinyl) copy of Handel's Israel in Egypt, and I did refer to the sleeve notes in the box.

Typically I have found that "Best of" compilations don't include lyrics. perhaps they assume that you already own the original albums. In that case, why do I need to buy the frigging compilation?!

The album is an art form, with cover art, sleeve notes, lyrics, acknowledgements and a label/CD surface deign, alongside a carefully selected and sequenced track list, perhaps with bonus tracks. Downloading individual tracks does away with much of that.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Click here to download the Mondegreens of your selected song"

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Various questions in Ecclesiantics about liturgy. A liking of the letter "E" (say, in the signature and various things on her/his profile). A rhyming (kind of) of her/his name with two names of a former shipmate that I have in my head at the moment.

[Paranoid]

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not very good at hell posts (I rarely make them). But I can't help chiming in here all purgatorial-like.

I agree that the CD company is just being cheap and there's no excuse for them not including lyrics in a CD that presumably is meant for people to sing along to.

That said, I have in the past printed lyrics off the internet and folded them into the CD jewel case. That does require some work, getting the lyrics on a small enough sheet of paper to stuff it in there, but it's a possible if second-rate solution.

You could also limit your purchases to CDs with songs you already know. There are lots of CDs out there with collections of old familiar hymns.

Taizé chants are also fairly easy to pick up, although some are in Latin and other languages.

Otherwise, if I were you, I'd sing along to what I did know, and pray/meditate while listening to the other songs. That might be the simplest thing to do. Who knows, you might pick up on some of the lyrics and melodies by specifically not trying to do so. But at least you could use those musical interludes to be quiet and receptive or something, whatever suits your own spirituality.

[ 07. November 2012, 20:26: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilyswinburne
Shipmate
# 12934

- Posted      Profile for lilyswinburne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is a "worship CD"?

Any examples?

Posts: 126 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilyswinburne:
What is a "worship CD"?

A CD (you know, those little round shiny things that you put in a stereo and they play music) with worship songs (you know, those things we sing in church) on it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
A CD (you know, those little round shiny things that you put in a stereo and they play music) with worship songs (you know, those things we sing in church) on it.

What do you mean "we"?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
What is a "worship CD"?

Do these discs play music, or do they play the sort of thing that goes under the name of "worship song" and which I understand is used in some churches?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:
What is a "worship CD"?

Do these discs play music, or do they play the sort of thing that goes under the name of "worship song" and which I understand is used in some churches?
You'd probably need to check the lyrics on the enclosed insert to ascertain that. If the lyrics aren't included, you can usually go to some obscure website and print them off yourself.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, passer. I note, with some bemusement, that you haven't bothered to read page 1. Had you done so, you would not have repeated the advice already given.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess* is that was Passer's point. A sort of joke, if you will.

* I'm charitable like that.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Pete - I was merely attempting to complete the circle, suggested by the posts preceding mine, and returning the thread to its OP, à la Ouroboros, before you send it trip-trapping to the depths. [Biased]
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016