homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Flipping Synod - especially the Lay People! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Flipping Synod - especially the Lay People!
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Goodness. People have been saying to me that liberals in the Church were just as bad as the conservatives. To be honest I never really believed it, but seeing the reactions on the Ship over a mere postponement of the inevitable is sure opening my eyes.

Pity it's not opening your mind. That empty vessel has needed filling for awhile.

As I said to a mate on FB, this all seems very strange from down here. We consecrated our first female bishop, Kay Goldsworthy, in 2008. Frankly, that was way overdue.

[Votive] with all you British mob as you figure out where to go from here.

2008?

Zach is from the Diocese of Indianapolis. By 2008, Cate Waynick had been Bishop of the Diocese of Indianapolis for 11 years. And, yes, Cate is a woman.

I can only assume that in your mind your statement is somehow related to mine.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just saying you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. That's all.

[ 21. November 2012, 03:18: Message edited by: Beeswax Altar ]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can only assume that in your mind your statement is somehow related to mine.
Nobody knows what the hell you're on about.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beeswax: fuck off and die.

Zach: The part that I was responding to (which you somehow left out of your post in response to me) was the reason I was insulting you. Here it is:
quote:
Goodness. People have been saying to me that liberals in the Church were just as bad as the conservatives. To be honest I never really believed it, but seeing the reactions on the Ship over a mere postponement of the inevitable is sure opening my eyes.

In response to a totally understandable outpouring of angst and grief over a bad decision, which may take years to rectify (in which time, some people who wanted to see this change will have died), you posted this.
So no, sweetie, it wasn't because you don't support women bishops. It was because you are a wanker lacking any empathy.
Plus, not posting the above comment which I was responding to, and then crying ignorance, makes you look disingenuous.
And ... I don't like you. I trust all of that is a good enough reason for insulting you.
HTH.

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't post my comment because I know what I posted you twit.

I have plenty of empathy for the supporters of that measure, since I am one of them and all. But there are people talking about leaving the church over this, and hell no I don't feel empathy for that. It is not understandable. We all know full well this just means another vote in 5 years.

I am sorry you are such a hateful shit that you felt the need to hijack this thread over this, Dark Knight.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I usually resolve to not post in the heat of the moment, but it only took me about 10 minutes here to realize that I failed miserably. I apologize for getting upset in public like that. Carry on with the thread.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
< looks around for the peanuts >
Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Running a little low on peanuts. We've got popcorn, cashews, and also a large packet of tamari almonds.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heavens! It's almost as if organized religion is a backwards-clinging bastion of stupidity and blithe offensiveness.

Of course, it's not quite as much of a joke as thinking you need a parasitic organization in order to figure out how to be good people that support each other.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an outsider, I share the disappointment of many Anglican Shipmates.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the Bishops will now be required to strip before all services, just to check one of them isn't a knavish woman in disguise.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are you saying, Chorister? That the Anglican church is essentially an Elizabethan comedy?

Quite apt, really.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Just back from the pub. Grr.

The Kingdom of God is bigger than the stupidity of 6 lay people.

Um, would you care to flesh out exactly why you - an Anglican bishop - can publicly accuse these particular people of stupidity?
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
Whatever Episcopal ministry means, it's got something to do with accepting the authority of those who end up set over you, not 'finding a bishop'.

It also has something to do with us being in communion with each other. Several provinces in the Anglican Communion have female bishops, and they are all in communion with the Church of England -- so the idea that you're going to keep some corner of your church free from the touch of female bishops is laughable. If women are bishops in one province, they are bishops in all of them.

So suck it up, buttercup -- you have female bishops. It's just that none of them are English. Yet.

Given that the Americans had no compunction about consecrating Gene Robinson when the rest of the Anglican communion's bishops strongly opposed the move, making them act in a way effectively denying any acceptance of the wider church's episcopal status, it's clear that this is being proposed as a one way stream; we're supposed to accept that your bishops are kosher, but you don't take ours seriously. So don't be too surprised when you find that actually a woman bishop is not allowed to operate as such whilst in England, so no, de jure, we don't even recognise them as bishops.

But, as I've said before, and I say again, it's about promises having been made that are now being 'cashed'. Of course given that the US government has pretty much never kept a single treaty that it's made with the people they stole their land from, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised if Episcopalians don't take the idea of promises too seriously. And of course the fact that lots of Episcopalian bishops are divorced and remarried shows how lightly they take the solemn vows made before God in the marriage service.

But there are still a few of us who have this funny idea that a promise should just possibly be binding, even when it's a pain in the neck. Perhaps those promises shouldn't have been made. BUT THEY WERE. They were made to get the priesting legislation through. Now, of course, in the best tradition of the Bureau of Indian Affairs coming in and shredding on all those inconvenient treaties, we see the librul fundamentalists deciding to ignore those inconvenient promises.

So, given that promises are fundamental to civilisation - though the USA is testing the contrary hypothesis - do you believe that promises should be kept, or should I tell your children that their mummy is an untrustworthy fundamentalist? Or does that just go with the fact that she's an American?

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Speaking as a supporter of the ordination/consecration of women, this is one of the best arguments I have heard yet for rejecting the motion in Synod yesterday. If the opponents of the ordination of women are just going to be labelled as 'stupid', then no wonder they have no faith in a 'code of conduct' which hasn't even been finalised.

There has been great stupidity here, but it is in the House of Bishops. If you have a proposal that has overwhelming support in the community that you are supposed to be leading, but you can't get the necessary legislation through the decision-making body, then it suggests a pretty impressive level of incompetence.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
quote:
Just back from the pub. Grr.

Um, would you care to flesh out exactly why you - an Anglican bishop - can publicly accuse these particular people of stupidity?
Oh, please. [Roll Eyes]

Stop with the he-should-be-so-much-wiser-and-more-genteel-than-the-average-Christian stuff. He's annoyed, like many. This is Hell; people rant. Deal.

Or are you going to run and tattle to the UK yellow rags: "Ooooer! Miss! Look what Petey wrote?"

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
daronmedway:

If the incoming archbishop can tweet after the meeting, then pete173 can post on the Ship! Whyever not?

The archbishop-in-waiting tweeted "Very grim day, most of all for women priests and supporters, need to surround all with prayer & love and co-operate with our healing God."

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
I didn't post my comment because I know what I posted you twit.

Well, my response to you was a result of your comment. So you didn't post it, and then pleaded ignorance. That makes you either stupid, or disingenuous. So - which of these dickheads do you want to be?

I promise to despise you equally either way.

quote:

I have plenty of empathy for the supporters of that measure, since I am one of them and all. But there are people talking about leaving the church over this, and hell no I don't feel empathy for that. It is not understandable. We all know full well this just means another vote in 5 years.

Which a long time to face another vote, which may be unsuccessful. That's not even the point. People may say all sorts of things in a rant. Given the circumstances, I would have thought that was understandable.

quote:
I am sorry you are such a hateful shit that you felt the need to hijack this thread over this, Dark Knight.
You're not mad because I am hijacking the thread. Thread's going along fine without either of our contributions. You're mad because I am shitting all over you.

'Hateful shit' is one way of saying it. I prefer 'misanthrope' personally. Kind of stating the obvious, really. I am such a hateful shit that Rook placed me in a semi-final with orfeo a couple of years back for hell hosting duties. Fortunately for me, I won, and orfeo advanced to the final, where the poor bastard must have lost again and is now having to read every word of this shit. [Eek!]

--------------------

----

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
daronmedway:

If the incoming archbishop can tweet after the meeting, then pete173 can post on the Ship! Whyever not?

The archbishop-in-waiting tweeted "Very grim day, most of all for women priests and supporters, need to surround all with prayer & love and co-operate with our healing God."

Numb nuts is not saying he can't post. He is asking him a question about what he posted. Totally legitimate. Pete has made no secret of his RL identity, and I empathise with his frustration, but no reason someone can't ask him a question about that comment.

--------------------

----

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is Hell. A place for venting.

I don't see why pete173 isn't allowed to be as pissed off as any other Shipmate, just because he is a Bishop. Bishops are people too.

pete173 was far from the only one to be pissed off last night. I was pretty fed up and I'm not C of E. The "scornful wonder" from onlookers over the "by schisms rent asunder" impression is not surprising. Synodical government surely requires the Laity as well as the Bishops and Clergy to factor that into their consciences when voting. There was a lot more going on than the matter of their own strongly held opinions.

However you look at it, this change was blocked by a coalition of Laity votes from folks in otherwise quite strongly opposed strands of the C of E. The members of the groups in that coalition may agree over women bishops but they don't agree on much else. So this was a tactical, rather than a strategic, alliance to block an essentially strategic change urged on them by their Bishops.

Would someone mind telling me what was the perception of the wider common good amongst the blocking coalition? Or the perception of the wider potential damage of continuing to block?

[That question is rhetorical here - I'm going to raise it in the Dead Horse.]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These are two tweets from one of the local councillors I follow on Twitter. He's not a regular church goer, only comes along to civic events - I follow him because I get to see local planning stuff this way. He commented twice on this vote:
quote:
The Church of England has voted against allowing women to become bishops” Today I denounce the Church of England
quote:
So female Bishops don't make sense, but virgin births, resurrections, talking snakes and parting the seas all do?
If that's what a politically active but non-church going parishioner thinks, what hope for the Church of England as an established church? What hope that church buildings that are being kept upright by local community monetary help and encouragement continue to get that support? How many of those who the CofE serve in parishes for weddings, baptisms and funerals will finally decide they want no more of it? What chance of serving the community now?

[ 21. November 2012, 08:56: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IF the CofE wants to continue its crass claims to be an genuinely all encompassing, inclusive, body, then it's got to get used to the idea that this inclusiveness has got to be for everyone, not just at the liberal end of the market. The gays want in - so let the opponents of women bishops stay and be accommodated. Because the alternative is to impose a doctrine test as viscus as the ones that the theological liberals used to complain about.

You know what, I agree. I've long been a champion of diversity in the CofE, but as of yesterday that time has passed.

I now want to see every single bigoted fuckwit who thinks women are icky and can't abide the idea of them ever being in authority to fuck off to Rome where they fucking belong. They can have their little club for bigots with a lovely big neon "no girls allowed" sign over the door, and we can have a church that recognises and accepts the image of God within every human being. They can spend all their efforts in trying to hold back the advance of enlightenment for a few more years, and we can get on with living the Kingdom as fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

I'm sick of appeasing these fuckers, and I'm no longer prepared to just wait until they all die off like the unevolved dinosaurs they are. I'm sick of having to say they have a valid theological interpretation of the ontological nature of the priesthood, or whatever bullshit big words they're using to draw attention away from the "no girls allowed" sign they've got nailed to the clubhouse door. Their theology is sexist bullshit. They are sexist bigots, and I'm all out of shits to give about how they feel about me saying that. I want them the fuck out of my church right the fuck now.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Would someone mind telling me what was the perception of the wider common good amongst the blocking coalition?

They don't have one. They're just trying to keep their "no girls allowed" sign on the clubhouse door for as long as they can.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Marvin, it's not the FiFers, they are mostly dying out or moving away, it's those evangelicals that think that it is reasonable to protest by:

quote:
standing on a 'practising gays out' platform. And someone else standing on a 'only baptise adults' platform. Oh, and someone else standing on the issue of Vestments / Eucharistic Doctrine / outlawing Penal Substitution etc etc.
and
quote:
Similarly the way that the provisions of the Act of Synod have been blatantly ignored <snip> means the level of trust here is pretty low. Then the attempts by those nice men in pointy hats to put some teeth into the protections are shouted down - and today's catastrophe shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Trust the bishops? I'd rather trust a corrupt politician I'd just paid off; <snip>
Now there's an interesting question as to whether I should continue in the CofE given that attitude, but I tend to go for the traditional conservative Evangelical attitude that it's the best available boat to fish from, even if it is taking in water wholesale, ignoring the bench entirely:

Personally I'd prefer those evangelicals who think that the CofE is the best boat to fish from either put up and shut up about what the CofE wants or went off to a church that they agreed with theologically.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
IF the CofE wants to continue its crass claims to be an genuinely all encompassing, inclusive, body, then it's got to get used to the idea that this inclusiveness has got to be for everyone, not just at the liberal end of the market. The gays want in - so let the opponents of women bishops stay and be accommodated. Because the alternative is to impose a doctrine test as viscus as the ones that the theological liberals used to complain about.

You know what, I agree. I've long been a champion of diversity in the CofE, but as of yesterday that time has passed.

I now want to see every single bigoted fuckwit who thinks women are icky and can't abide the idea of them ever being in authority to fuck off to Rome where they fucking belong. They can have their little club for bigots with a lovely big neon "no girls allowed" sign over the door, and we can have a church that recognises and accepts the image of God within every human being. They can spend all their efforts in trying to hold back the advance of enlightenment for a few more years, and we can get on with living the Kingdom as fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

I'm sick of appeasing these fuckers, and I'm no longer prepared to just wait until they all die off like the unevolved dinosaurs they are. I'm sick of having to say they have a valid theological interpretation of the ontological nature of the priesthood, or whatever bullshit big words they're using to draw attention away from the "no girls allowed" sign they've got nailed to the clubhouse door. Their theology is sexist bullshit. They are sexist bigots, and I'm all out of shits to give about how they feel about me saying that. I want them the fuck out of my church right the fuck now.

That's how I feel as well. Then I remember quite a few of the fuckers are good friends, with whom I would never question my 'communion' otherwise, and then I just want to [Waterworks]

Not very hellish, except that the feeling does leave me deeply torn. And then I get all hellish and want to rip the blinkers from their eyes. Oh fuck. I don't know. [brick wall]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a list of who voted against this?

For me, the critical question is whether, amongst that bunch, there are at least 6 radical WATCH types who aren't happy with the 'respect' language. If so, I seem to remember hearing the group of 6 can re-introduce the measure during this synod with 'non-significant' amended language, such as removing respect. I'm ready to bet there are zero conservative AffCath types who would switch votes in that situation.

Assuming (as I suspect) there aren't 6 such people, the house of laity is shockingly unrepresentative to the extent that we can be certain it's been gamed by politically clever people, and the majority need to play by the same rules. EVERYONE MAKE SURE YOUR DEANERY SYNOD REP FANATICALLY SUPPORTS YOUR VIEW ON WOMEN BISHOPS AND VIEWS THEIR PRIMARY ROLE ON DEANERY SYNOD AS TO MAKE SURE THAT VIEW IS ACTED ON.

Also, we need direct elections to general synod. I see no reason at all why that shouldn't be practical in this day and age.

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Alison Ruoff who has been quoted extensively is an evangelical member of General Synod and voted against

--------------------

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very much in favor of diversity. However, people need to appreciate that about 99% of the church agrees about the extreme importance of the undiluted authority of 'their' bishop. Satisfying everyone is fundamentally impossible; you either exclude the minority who opposed this measure, you exclude the majority who supported it, or you exclude the 99% who want to see bishops having the authority traditionally given to them. That's why lots of very clever people have tried to come up with a solution, and this pigs ear of a measure is the best they could do.

Those who want to avoid a schism, I'd love to be with you, but you're fighting a battle against the axioms of logic.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Leon and Marvin said.

I've been a member of the CofE for 46 years now, and I have no idea how the governance of the church works, how you get elected to deanery, diocese or General synods, or who those people are. I've certainly never been asked to vote for any representative - so to say it fails the Benn test is an understatement.

However, I'm going to make it my business from now on, and if I find I can replace anyone who voted against the Measure, I'm going to make it my business to get them out of that position of power, even if I have to replace them myself.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an interesting situation within the Anglican Communion worldwide, and maybe just as well that the Anglican Covenant wasn't brought to bear, as it could have been used to put considerable pressure on the C of E. But ultimately it's not going to be a communion breaking situation for the communion; however, very soon difficulties will arise. In the western world as clergy numbers decline there will be an increased number of clergy coming in a type of 'missionary' situation from overseas. All well and good; but the issue may be that they have been ordained by a woman Bishop and their ministry won't be accepted. The irony of that is that the parts of the communion that do have women Bishops were in some cases C of E mission fields, and its quite telling that even though such places are often more socially conservative, they have a better understanding of the image of God in all people. It's embarrassing to a very large chunk of the communion; but we'll get over it. We were in communion with you before this mess and we'll be in communion with you after.

Schism isn't the way either, nor leaving. I think it's a wake up call to be honest. Firstly, it has revealed a fatal in how the synod operates and it will need revision. Secondly, the church has essentially let the minority voice rule the day. I know that synod is difficult for people to attend who have family jobs etc; (maybe move it to a series of evenings) but if these things are truly important to people then they will have learnt the hard way that you cannot sit back and just hope that the right thing will happen - you have to be actively in it and part of it.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister:
quote:
All the Bishops will now be required to strip before all services, just to check one of them isn't a knavish woman in disguise.
[Killing me] [Waterworks]

Well, that would certainly make the Church more relevant. In some ways.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

However, I'm going to make it my business from now on, and if I find I can replace anyone who voted against the Measure, I'm going to make it my business to get them out of that position of power, even if I have to replace them myself.

Quickly, here's how it works.

Diocesan synod runs the diocese, and can be ignored (today).

The house of laity of General Synod is elected by the house of laity of deanery synods. This is the sole interesting job done by deanery synod; their meetings are otherwise interminably dull.

You have been at deanery synod elections; they happen at APCMs. However, you may not have noticed, as they're usually unopposed (due to a shortage of people who want to sit through interminably dull meetings).

To make matters even worse, deanery synod members are ex-oficio PCC members, so you get a dull meeting to go with your interminably dull one.

I suspect that candidates for general synod may disguise their extreme views at hustings, but I don't have proof of this. To be safe, vote only for people who make their support for women bishops clear, and ignore any doubts you might have about whether those people are really Christians.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Isn't it too obvious to say - find a male bishop? It's not like the church is going to be swamped by women bishops (unless they are better qualified for that position).

Huh? Whatever Episcopal ministry means, it's got something to do with accepting the authority of those who end up set over you, not 'finding a bishop'. And a lot of the issue about the inadequacy of the provision for opponents is that there was perceived to be no guarantee that their concerns would really be respected. The unambiguous imposition of female priests on recalcitrant parishes and dioceses in the TEC despite many promises to the contrary when the legislation was being passed there means that the libruls have NO credibility when they line up saying the same nice things over here. Similarly the way that the provisions of the Act of Synod have been blatantly ignored (an advert for a vacancy in see that was honest enough to admit no opponents of women priests would be considered, for example) means the level of trust here is pretty low. Then the attempts by those nice men in pointy hats to put some teeth into the protections are shouted down - and today's catastrophe shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Trust the bishops? I'd rather trust a corrupt politician I'd just paid off; as Heinlein comments, a corrupt politician has to stay bought, once he's taken the money (that degree of credibility is all he's got to sell), whereas people with 'principles' have a remarkable ability to interpret those principles in accordance with the prevailing winds at the time. Now there's an interesting question as to whether I should continue in the CofE given that attitude, but I tend to go for the traditional conservative Evangelical attitude that it's the best available boat to fish from, even if it is taking in water wholesale, ignoring the bench entirely: “What’s the difference between Jurassic Park and the Church of England? Well, one’s a fantasy land populated by dinosaurs . . . and the other’s a blockbuster film.” Let them play in their fantasy land of synods and the House of Lords; and if we're lucky they'll keep their mouths shut.
That leads me on to the PEVs, aka "flying bishops" which were created to cater for parishes, laity and clergy who were opposed to the ordination of women. Could they not become reserved posts for men, so that those in the CofE who find the concept of women clergy altogether too much could have their wishes fulfilled?

Then again, that may have been what the opponents of women bishops at Synod were holding out for, which on the grounds that PEVs exist is understandable, if plain wrong.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
'Hateful shit' is one way of saying it. I prefer 'misanthrope' personally. Kind of stating the obvious, really. I am such a hateful shit that Rook placed me in a semi-final with orfeo a couple of years back for hell hosting duties. Fortunately for me, I won, and orfeo advanced to the final, where the poor bastard must have lost again and is now having to read every word of this shit. [Eek!]

Excuse me while my world crumbles around my ears. I'll be in the corner munching on a few peanuts that spilled out the gap at the back of the counter.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, the bishops accuse the laity of stupidity but expect the laity to trust them? As Chapelhead says, I wonder why they don't.

Why there were bishops abstaining yesterday, I've no idea. I sympathise with the Bishop of London if he is suffering from a highly debilitating, contagious illness but, otherwise, where was he?

The pain of those disappointed by yesterday's vote must be great - the trads have been there before and know how much it hurts. (I can't remember a vote in Synod going 'our' way before!)

But this was not a vote about the admission of women to the episcopate: it was about this piece of legislation - which was bollocks.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
So, the bishops accuse the laity of stupidity but expect the laity to trust them? As Chapelhead says, I wonder why they don't.

But this was not a vote about the admission of women to the episcopate: it was about this piece of legislation - which was bollocks.

This.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why there were bishops abstaining yesterday, I've no idea

Not that it would have made any difference either way.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Leon*:
I suspect that candidates for general synod may disguise their extreme views at hustings, but I don't have proof of this. To be safe, vote only for people who make their support for women bishops clear, and ignore any doubts you might have about whether those people are really Christians.

OK - so it's better to vote for someone on the one issue of women bishops, ignoring the fact that they don't believe a single line of the creed?

It's worth expanding this discussion to point out that the elections for General Synod are done on the Single Transferable Vote system. The simplest way to view this is that the voter gets to put the candidates in order of preference. If their first choice is eliminated as having the least votes, then their second choice 'counts'. So you can be very discriminating in the order that you use, though I tend to agree that manifestos do tend to be lacking in detail. However there are hustings, and I imagine most candidates next time will offer an email address for questions etc etc. Of course the core problem is having to be a Deanery Synod rep; as previously mentioned, the dreary evenings in dank church halls were definitely a low point in my Christian life, though there's no actual need to attend. Actually you won't be entirely surprised to hear that I did tend to try and stir things up [Devil]

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Isn't it too obvious to say - find a male bishop? It's not like the church is going to be swamped by women bishops (unless they are better qualified for that position).

Huh? Whatever Episcopal ministry means, it's got something to do with accepting the authority of those who end up set over you, not 'finding a bishop'. And a lot of the issue about the inadequacy of the provision for opponents is that there was perceived to be no guarantee that their concerns would really be respected. The unambiguous imposition of female priests on recalcitrant parishes and dioceses in the TEC despite many promises to the contrary when the legislation was being passed there means that the libruls have NO credibility when they line up saying the same nice things over here. Similarly the way that the provisions of the Act of Synod have been blatantly ignored (an advert for a vacancy in see that was honest enough to admit no opponents of women priests would be considered, for example) means the level of trust here is pretty low. Then the attempts by those nice men in pointy hats to put some teeth into the protections are shouted down - and today's catastrophe shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Trust the bishops? I'd rather trust a corrupt politician I'd just paid off; as Heinlein comments, a corrupt politician has to stay bought, once he's taken the money (that degree of credibility is all he's got to sell), whereas people with 'principles' have a remarkable ability to interpret those principles in accordance with the prevailing winds at the time. Now there's an interesting question as to whether I should continue in the CofE given that attitude, but I tend to go for the traditional conservative Evangelical attitude that it's the best available boat to fish from, even if it is taking in water wholesale, ignoring the bench entirely: “What’s the difference between Jurassic Park and the Church of England? Well, one’s a fantasy land populated by dinosaurs . . . and the other’s a blockbuster film.” Let them play in their fantasy land of synods and the House of Lords; and if we're lucky they'll keep their mouths shut.
That leads me on to the PEVs, aka "flying bishops" which were created to cater for parishes, laity and clergy who were opposed to the ordination of women. Could they not become reserved posts for men, so that those in the CofE who find the concept of women clergy altogether too much could have their wishes fulfilled?

Then again, that may have been what the opponents of women bishops at Synod were holding out for, which on the grounds that PEVs exist is understandable, if plain wrong.

Problem comes a bit down the line, when the flying bishop is a man, but it turns out that he was ordained by a bishop who themselves was ordained by a woman bishop who of course, what with having labia and tits on whatnot, can't be a real priest so can't validly ordain anyone.

You'd end up having male clergy having to carry around an Apostolic Succession Pedigree document. It'd be like Crufts.

Not to mention perfectly barmy.

[ 21. November 2012, 10:53: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

quote:
OK - so it's better to vote for someone on the one issue of women bishops, ignoring the fact that they don't believe a single line of the creed?

It's always better to vote for someone on the basis of their opinions on the important issues that are likely to be considered by the body that's being voted for, rather than a completely different set of issues that are more important in the grand scheme of things. I don't expect the 2015 synod to consider revising the creed, therefore that isn't an election issue.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, for God's sake!

Justin has two choices: withdraw now or (and I'd LOVE to see this) consecrate a woman suffragan in the chapel at Lambeth as soon as he's enthroned and dare the EA/FIF et al to do anything...

Seriously: Bugger Synod.
Stop the special provisions NOW.
Lose the flying bishops PDQ.
Get Parliament to pass enabling legislation and consecrate a woman NOW.

If EA and FIF don't like it they can leave - join the Southern Baptist Convention or Exclusive Brethren or Rome or whoever.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
You'd end up having male clergy having to carry around an Apostolic Succession Pedigree document. It'd be like Crufts.

Look, there's probably already a fault in the line of apostolic succession, somewhere between Saint Peter and that bloke in 1773 who'd done a spot of usury on the side.

I keep coming back to the monarch. The Anglican Church is an established, State church. Unless Jonathan Rhys Meyers steered me WAY off course (and I'd follow you anywhere Jonathan...), Henry VIII made it QUITE clear that HE was the head of the Church of England, not some bishop.

Which means that the Church of England has had a female leader for a huge proportion of the last couple of centuries. Victoria and ER II between them have been in charge for 123 of the last 175 years. You'd bloody well think someone had noticed by now.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Oh, for God's sake!

Justin has two choices: withdraw now or (and I'd LOVE to see this) consecrate a woman suffragan in the chapel at Lambeth as soon as he's enthroned and dare the EA/FIF et al to do anything...

If EA and FIF don't like it they can leave - join the Southern Baptist Convention or Exclusive Brethren or Rome or whoever.

Yes. Except these people are still family. Can we survive another round of estrangements, as happened 20 years ago? We lost a lot of beloved siblings, etc.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes. Except these people are still family. Can we survive another round of estrangements, as happened 20 years ago? We lost a lot of beloved siblings, etc.
Still family maybe BUT, as many respected psychotherapists will tell you, there are families where relationships are so toxic that the best thing for all parties can be if the "we're family, we must stick together" nostrum is ditched.

I'd suggest that the CofE is at that moment now.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better Together.

Thurible

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

quote:
Better Together.

Thurible

Another attempt to wish AffCath out of existence. Ooops!

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by DunkDuffel:

I'm trying to be neutral but I really don't understand why this group haven't taken up the Pope's generous provisions for the to join the Ordinariate.

Because they're Anglicans?

Thurible

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad I'm not at work today. It means I might get through the day not having to acknowledge to anyone that I'm an Anglican priest. Today, I'm ashamed to be.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Still family maybe BUT, as many respected psychotherapists will tell you, there are families where relationships are so toxic that the best thing for all parties can be if the "we're family, we must stick together" nostrum is ditched.

I'd suggest that the CofE is at that moment now.

My biological family is a bit like that. We exchange Christmas cards and meet at weddings and funerals, and we manage not to fight at either though a fair amount of sniping goes on at other times.

We're still family though, and anyone on the outside had better not assume otherwise.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, for God's sake!

Not in a little Chapel. From the Chair of St Augustine in Canterbury Cathedral. Preferably during the enthronement service whilst everyone is watching.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016