homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Leo: Sanctimonious Twat (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Leo: Sanctimonious Twat
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
But i thought you wanted 'fellowship' Or is that only with like-minded people, in short, a church of your own?

It takes two to fellowship. Personally I would be a bit put off by the possibility of a dusty "it's not a membership club" if I ventured to start a conversation.
So you wouldn't have gone to church much before the year 1920. Up to that time there wasn't coffee after mass. People lived in villages and saw each other every working day so they wouldn't linger after mass.
And all was bucolic and peaceful and People Knew Their Place. [Disappointed]

So the Church Picnic is a 20th Century invention? [Killing me]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
quote:
"The Church is the only society on earth that exists for the benefit of non-members.”

quote:
The church isn't a membership club.

I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that these two statements bear little relationship to each other. If nothing else, it seems quite clear that the good Archbishop did indeed consider the church a society (since he labelled it as such), even if its purpose was not aimed inward.

Seconded. Leo, to take that statement from Temple and turn it into a one-liner suggesting that there's something inherently wrong with Christians wanting to meet Christians is perverse.

Although I also suspect it has something to do with your discovery over the years that a very large number of Christians do NOT want to meet with you. You're making a virtue out of necessity.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perpetually Put-Upon, Leo must, even in Hell, instruct us and demonstrate his superior intellect. It's awfully annoying to drop Latin into an otherwise English post - (Lumen Gentium)

And, what please, is CCJ ? I'm ashamed to say that my lumen is feeble, compared to yours, Leo.
See how annoying that is?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pb4S, he wasn't dropping Latin into an otherwise English post but making reference to the document of the Second Vatican Council which he was citing as authority for his assertion. He could, of course, cited it in its full translated title but that would have been rather long and no-one uses the translation of its first two words to refer to it. So, here at least, leo must be acquitted of the charge laid against him.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey leo

Merry Christmas mate, and a Happy New Year.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
So, here at least, leo must be acquitted of the charge laid against him.

I have to say also that, on reflection, giving up on a service that requires hours of preparation and only attracts 30 at a busy time of year when one is a finite resource and getting no support for it is not all that unreasonable.

It was the original brief description that came across as rather arrogant and uncaring.

Likewise there is a reasonable point to be made about the nature of church and fellowship, but that wasn't well captured by a brusque and ill-considered one-liner in all saints.

While I'm on presentational issues, having "jews on our books" does sound unfortunately parallel to "binders full of women".

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Hey leo

Yeah. Bloody oath.

From me too

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
And, what please, is CCJ ?

The Council of Christians and Jews - the oldest interfaith dialogue group in the UK, (in Europe too, i think)

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cosmo was right?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hey leo

Martin, I think I'm in love with you.

Leo, if you don't have much to say on an issue, please don't feel obliged to post on the thread.

An All Saints thread is about support. Discuss the rights and wrongs of church fellowship elsewhere. Adding your waspish comment only serves to make you look sanctimonious.

As I say to my 4th years: "Don't be that guy."

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey Mad Cat, I'm in love with me too, but it's not working out.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Use your left hand.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hey Mad Cat, I'm in love with me too, but it's not working out.

No surprise there.

For the benefit of recent arrivals (and others it would seem) I had better let you know that romances made in Hell are like those made on holidays (what Americans calll vacations). They just aren't a good idea.

Sioni Sais
Kind, informative Hellhost

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Use your left hand.

Quotes file.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re:

"The church isn't a membership club"

Probably it's true, because lots of churches have no members and rather empty. It should be a membership club in the sense that they need to meet at least some social needs.

I'm not very familiar with Leo, though would note that "twat" around here means "vagina". So he's an excessively moralistic, holier than thou vagina? Define "holier" in this context I think.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was once a fairly sensible discussion on the topic of church and relationships, which I think is relevant to the OP in the All Saints thread in which leo made the offending comment.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Re:

"The church isn't a membership club"

Probably it's true, because lots of churches have no members and rather empty. It should be a membership club in the sense that they need to meet at least some social needs.

I'd imagine that churches that have no members are not actually churches at all but are 'closed buildings'.

And what is a 'membership club', anyway? Many people who go to church have plenty of their social needs met in that way. Whereas I know many clubs that certainly do nothing to meet my social needs, or the needs of many others. First and foremost a church should be what it says it is - the Body of Christ. Which can be two people meeting in a front room on a Tuesday night, or several thousand in a cinema.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm not very familiar with Leo, though would note that "twat" around here means "vagina". So he's an excessively moralistic, holier than thou vagina? Define "holier" in this context I think.

Someone who hasn't cottoned on to the use of terms for genitalia as insults. What a knob.

[ 10. January 2013, 16:13: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it worse to be a knob or to be a twat? I can't decide. Oh fuck it.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Someone who hasn't cottoned on to the use of terms for genitalia as insults. What a knob.

Quotes file.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Oh don't be a dickhead. And watch what you're doing with your mouse. Or some thief will quote you.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If Christians huddle together as a group of like- minded, where is the mission ?

And where is the support / strength / shared talent etc to enable mission to happen if they don't?

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016