homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bastard Politicians Using Our Festivals for Propaganda

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bastard Politicians Using Our Festivals for Propaganda
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you watch the London fireworks ? Played audio music track, ostensibly a run-thru of 2012. OK fine if you must. But they played soundbites from Boris Johnson and David Cameron.

They actually ended the London New Years Fireworks with David Cameron's voice saying, 'Britain, we did it right'

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Can the grasping shits not leave anything untainted ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I think that was Seb Coe, from the closing ceremony of the Olympics. As visceral as my loathing of the Tories is, we can let this one go...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may chill out slightly, however there was definitely a Cameron soundbite in the middle and I don't think Boris Johnson should have been in there either.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

(Alternatively, maybe I shouldn't OP, when I have imbibed more than my usual amount of spirits ...)

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They played sound bites from the year just finished. Naturally the political leaders made speeches in the year and bits were included. If they hijacked anything then they hijacked the Olympics.

However, at the time I heard the message rather than the speaker and thought they were right - the country did a brilliant job with the Olympics although YMMV. I am pleased they included these words and again I didn't think about who said them but what they said which was spot on.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how many of the displays between 1997 and 2010 used sound clips from Bliar or Brown...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I wonder how many of the displays between 1997 and 2010 used sound clips from Bliar or Brown...

Quite. Much as I despise Cameron and the Party he represents, he is the Prime Minister so it seems entirely appropriate that they should be trotting out soundbites.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do I suspect that if Labour were in power and they had read out some of Milli-Boy's sixth form poli-sci essays, then this thread wouldn't be here?

Besides, what's the point of us having power if we don't use it to rub our opponents noses in it from time to time.

Having said that, I didn't watch it. We watched Transformers 3 with Jooles at midnight. Quality!

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Why do I suspect that if Labour were in power and they had read out some of Milli-Boy's sixth form poli-sci essays, then this thread wouldn't be here?

Because, deano, whereas as you and I think that Labour are merely unrealistic, mistaken and foolish, Sioni, Doc Tor and Doublethink despise and loathe us and believe that we are acting in active bad-faith to achieve wicked ends.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
quote:
Originally posted by deano:

Because, deano, whereas as you and I think that Labour are merely unrealistic, mistaken and foolish, Sioni, Doc Tor and Doublethink despise and loathe us and believe that we are acting in active bad-faith to achieve wicked ends.
I can't speak for Doc Tor and Doublethink but I wouldn't accuse David Cameron and his pals, or you and deano of acting in bad faith. I believe you guys, and the Cabinet, to be entirely sincere, but I do think that some of you act out of selfishness and/or greed, to achieve short-term ends.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
...but I do think that some of you act out of selfishness and/or greed, to achieve short-term ends.

I don't see how you can call that good faith if that's how you see it.

(Personally I think there are many who vote conservative in good faith and some in the party with good faith. But I don't include Cameron or Boris in that group).

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
[QUOTE](Personally I think there are many who vote conservative in good faith and some in the party with good faith. But I don't include Cameron or Boris in that group).

I don't know whether to feel pathetically grateful or patronised by the condescending possibility that I might be in the number of the "some". BTW, what evidences causes you not to include the PM or the Mayor in that number?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Politician pander to what gets them votes, rather than what is good for the nation.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know whether to feel pathetically grateful or patronised

I could opine regarding which response would suit you better if you wished. But you'd hardly expect me to state that all act in good faith, or it would be odd that I wasn't a paid up member myself.

For example, I find it unlikely that the policy changes Cameron presides over regarding the NHS are simply incompetent rather than taken in bad faith, and I thought the repeated promises of no top-down reforms, while they had a "bottom-up" reform that government was going to implement in their back-pockets was completely cynical.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I may chill out slightly, however there was definitely a Cameron soundbite in the middle and I don't think Boris Johnson should have been in there either.

Boris is the Mayor of London. I'd think he had every right to be in there.

(Not that I saw it myself, so I don't know what he actually said.)

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
I could opine regarding which response would suit you better if you wished. But you'd hardly expect me to state that all act in good faith, or it would be odd that I wasn't a paid up member myself.

That's a complete non sequitur. You could concede that they were acting in good faith but believe them to be mistaken or foolish, without having to feel the need to be a paid up member. That's much how I view Labour politicos.

quote:
For example, I find it unlikely that the policy changes Cameron presides over regarding the NHS are simply incompetent rather than taken in bad faith, and I thought the repeated promises of no top-down reforms, while they had a "bottom-up" reform that government was going to implement in their back-pockets was completely cynical.
The policies could, in fact, be neither incompetent nor undertaken in bad faith but perfectly competent and undertaken in good faith but ones with which you simply disagree. As for the second point: fair enough.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
That's a complete non sequitur. You could concede that they were acting in good faith but believe them to be mistaken or foolish, without having to feel the need to be a paid up member. That's much how I view Labour politicos.

A fair point.

I will fall back to arguing that many conservatives in high office who enact and draft these policies are far too intelligent to simply mistaken about the effect of their policies. The more distant one gets from that the greater the possibility of simple error and good faith. (In my world view, of course).

quote:
The policies could, in fact, be neither incompetent nor undertaken in bad faith but perfectly competent and undertaken in good faith but ones with which you simply disagree. As for the second point: fair enough.

That is possible, but at present I believe my judgement and that of the majority in the health service regarding their likely impact. I could be mistaken, and I will eat my words over the next few years if I am. The cynical manner with which they were hidden and then produced after the election makes me even more suspicious.

(I remain puzzled as to why there didn't seem a larger cost in public opinion regarding that deception when the reforms were announced - perhaps as PeteC says the public expect cynical politicians on both sides and so don't bat an eyelid. On the other hand they raised public anger over a tax on pasties.)

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<snip>
(I remain puzzled as to why there didn't seem a larger cost in public opinion regarding that deception when the reforms were announced - perhaps as PeteC says the public expect cynical politicians on both sides and so don't bat an eyelid. On the other hand they raised public anger over a tax on pasties.)

The health reforms were presented as necessary to save money. Because most people don't expect to be ill in the short term, most people were and remain indifferent to them.

The tax on pasties on the other hand cost lots of people money right there and then! That mattered, to small shopkeepers as well as pasty eaters, so people and the popular press howled.

It's simply money, see. You can get almost anything through via a tax cut, because many believe that the damage done by the (supposedly) inefficient public sector is greater than that done by the (stereotypically) greedy and profit-first private enterprises.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I can see that, it's more that I'm surprised the government didn't take a major hit in terms of trust over having lied about it.

I would expect the same if they had campaigned on "no new point-of-sale pasty taxes" during the election, then introduced the tax shortly afterwards saying "oh, but this is a point-of-purchase tax".

Even more damning that the health reforms had clearly been worked on for years and so were in the draw all the time that they were assuring us they had no such plans.

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might it be simply that most of us are so aware of the cynicism of present-day politicians that we are no longer surprised by their antics? I would suggest that there is very little that actually distinguishes any of the parties one from another - they will say anything if they think it will gain them votes. And I doubt that I am alone in this suspicion.

Good faith? Bad faith? It's all the same to a politician. What I do wonder is the degree to which senior civil servants are implicated - the Sir Humphries of this world. I have wondered recently whether there was some sort of sweepstake within the Secretarial ranks of the Civil Service - how ridiculous a policy can you get your Minister to introduce and claim as his own? Assuming, as I do, that the overwhelming majority of MP's have no real idea what life is like for the bulk of the population, I find it easy to believe that they have no concept of the actual impact that some of their proposals will have at street level, and are foolish enough to believe that their advisors are aware and that they are acting in good faith ... [Paranoid]

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

My own view is not so cynical. I think there are genuine people in politics, although it is easy to be derisive and allege naivety whenever someone suggests one.

I am no supporter of conservative government, but it struck me when 1979 cabinet minutes were released regarding the governments handling of the Vietnamese refugee crisis it seemed to me that while my worst suspicions regarding Thatcher's racism and ruthlessness were confirmed, that Willie Whitelaw and Lord Carrington came across as genuinely concerned regarding the humanitarian aspects of the crisis and used their influence with Thatcher to persuade and cajole her into accepting some refugees.

My prejudices are against both men overall, but one ought to recognise honourable behaviour when it is evidenced.

Maybe the pasty tax vs NHS reform thing is that people expected them to be cynical and manipulative, but not daft and petty. The pasty tax looked daft and petty from the outset.

[ 01. January 2013, 18:09: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh! The Prime Minister of the UK and Mayor of London (on the London Olympics) get to 'speak' at a national (for the UK celebration (in some way) taking place in London. [Mad] 's all round indeed!

[ 02. January 2013, 11:32: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are many serious flaws with Cameron and his government but the people who snipe at the government on these boards rarely put up any sort of decent argument. This thread being a typical example. If media manipulation by politicians were so outrageous then the worst excesses were during the period of the last Labour government.
Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Teflon Tony's 'People's Princess' speech in 1997 being particularly [Projectile]

[ 02. January 2013, 12:13: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

That icon is indelibly linked with ES in my mind.

But on this occasion I share the sentiment.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016