homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Films for church film groups (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Films for church film groups
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Red Dust, a fictionalised portrayal of the truth and reconciliation commission in South Africa raises some hard questions about Christian ideas of forgiveness, and what it means to be loyal. It's not explicitly religious but the questions raised very much ones Christians should consider.

I was also going to suggest The Mission.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The Vatican put out a Film list in '95, which is not at all what some might guess (eg. it includes a Kubrick film).
Christiane Kubrick, Stanley's widow, attended a special screening of 2001 at the Vaticsn, in 2001.

And I think Decent Films over-simplifies things in saying that the film presents a "non-theistic" view of man's origins. Yes, the creation-force in that movie is conceived as a material entity, so not quite the God of the philosophers. Apart from that, though, the story makes a case(albeit a fanciful one) for the last step in evolution from lower primates to man being the result of intelligent intervention.

Kubrick himself talked about 2001 presenting [url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Kubrick's_political_and_religious_beliefs#Religion]a scietific definiton of God[/url]. And he blamed the film's poor reviews(yes, at the time, some of them were scathing) on the "lumpen literati" who were "dogmatically atheist".

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow. That last paragraph really didn't work out. Again...

Kubrick himself talked about 2001 presenting a scietific definiton of God. And he blamed the film's poor reviews(yes, at the time, some of them were scathing) on the "lumpen literati" who were "dogmatically atheist".

[url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Kubrick's_political_and_religious_beliefs#Religion]link[/url]

Don't think that link wants to work.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Don't think that link wants to work.

No, for whatever reason, it seems to like inserting a space between "url=" and "http". In which case, Tinyurl is your friend.

And here's your tiny link. Merry Christmas. [Biased]

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I can't believe I didn't think of tinyurl myself. Thanks Ariel.

Merry Christmas to you too!

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Let's not omit "The Life of Brian".
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Percy B:
quote:
... that are not over violent or scary...
Pity. There goes Dogma.

I love this film. [Tear] [Snigger]

It's one of my favorite movies, too! So many great lines in it. AND Alanis Morissette as a VERY attractive God! [Biased]
And she's a bit of a klutz, which I found very comforting!
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Danny Boyle's Millions. A charming morality play centred around the activities of a small boy in the Christmas season leading up to the UK dropping the pound for the euro. Numerous Catholic saints make their appearence, in typical Boylean fantasy sequences.

Two caveats...

1. The idea of Britain dropping the pound is probably even more implausible now than it was in 2004.

2. The film takes a rather negative attitude toward Mormons. Not that I'm an apologist for the LDS, but given that this is a British film, it's difficult to escape the suspicion that the writer was just going after a safe, suitably "foreign" target(as opposed to, say, hypocritical Anglicans or Catholics).

This is one time when I think a script could have benefitted from the usual device of having the theological bad guys being just "generic self-righteous Christians".

Heartily second this recommendation.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Shawshank Redemption? Terribly cliched, but beautifully shot and some great acting. Plenty of useful themes to discuss.

The final Harry Potter film has some very Easter-ish overtones, if you ask me. The noble hero sacrificing himself for others...

Cheers,
Eleanorjane

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I loved Shawshank,, but it is long isn't it.

I think church film groups probably need something shorter, if there is to be food and discussion too.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
The Vatican put out a Film list in '95, which is not at all what some might guess

I have just watched On the Waterfront - made in 1954 so a bit of a period piece but has plenty for a group to discuss:

Priests involved in politics
Christians in trade unions
corruption
martyrdom

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've facilitated a few film evenings, and one thing I tried that's worked well was to host the film on one evening with prepatory discussion, and then reconvene a couple of days later for a meal and post-viewing discussion. The in-between day was useful for processing, and the discussions were rich. One way to deal with longer films.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Gotta see The Big Kahuna(1999)

The late Kenwritez insisted this film should be required viewing in youth groups. Mostly this had to do with the conflict between the evangelical character and his colleagues, and one fantastic speech about character delivered beautifully by DeVito toward the end of the film. That speech alone is worth it all.

I miss Ken! The Big Kahuna I remember was a disc jockey in the 60s and 70s on LA radio station KHJ. They published top 40 lists. I wonder if this film is on Netflicks...

[ 09. January 2013, 21:00: Message edited by: Sir Kevin ]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just come back from a retreat in which we watched Nouvena, a French Candanian film. I'd say it's about what it means for the Church to accompany a benign but secular society.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Speaking of Quebec, I'm going to give an off-hand, take-it-or-leave-it recommendation to one of Alfred Hitchcock's more neglected films, I Confess, set in rural Quebec.

Not, as I recall, theologically profound, but it's got a priest as the main character, and touches on issues related to celibacy and especially confessional confidentiality. Plus, if you're a big Hitchcock fan, it's of some historical interest, partly from being his most overtly "Catholic" film.

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Must confess I don't know that Hitchcock film.

Anyone recommend a film which could prompt discussion on prayer?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Yeah, that Hitchcock film is relatively obscure.

As for prayer-themed films, you might want to check out The End Of The Affair, based on a novel by Graham Greene. The plot is a little complicated, but it ends up being about a preyer for a particular wish that gets answered, and what results from that.

Warning: The story revolves around adultery, and, while my memory is a little faulty, there might be a few racy love scenes that would make it possibly inappropriate for younger viewers(possibly not of much interest to kids anyway). As well, it relies heavily on flashbacks, jumping back and forth in time, which I personally find a little annoying in movies.

Also, I think the overall viewpoint is rather Catholic, and the story hinges on sainthood(in the Catholic understanding) as a theme. But it's been a while since I've seen it.

[ 12. January 2013, 07:09: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd second The Way
A film with about three characters and a powerful ending of redemption was from Finland, Letters to Father Jacob.
A couple of years ago Chocolat was used as a lenten study locally; someone in our church produced a study booklet to go with it.
A film our group used – and I can't remember the name (it's a bit latte at night to phone someone!) was Swedish, about a famous conductor who comes back to his remote village and takes on the church choir. Ring any bells? Maybe tomorrow...

I must admit that the two congregations I'm a part of would need very different films: one is largely senior folk with few if any tertiary qualifications, the other with a much lower average age and mostly university graduates.

GG

Meant to preview – hit the wrong button.

[ 12. January 2013, 07:55: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I very much enjoyed 'Doubt' - what choices do people make when in positions of responsibility (and how do they deal with the aftermath when they are not sure if they have made the right choice?).

I too found that film very challenging.
Streep, of course, never failing to make to her every performance totally convincing.

This would be a relevant choice as the saville scandal, with it's conspiracy of silence, is still at the front of many minds.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As for prayer-themed films, you might want to check out The End Of The Affair, based on a novel by Graham Greene. The plot is a little complicated, but it ends up being about a preyer for a particular wish that gets answered, and what results from that.

Warning: The story revolves around adultery, and, while my memory is a little faulty, there might be a few racy love scenes that would make it possibly inappropriate for younger viewers(possibly not of much interest to kids anyway). As well, it relies heavily on flashbacks, jumping back and forth in time, which I personally find a little annoying in movies.

Also, I think the overall viewpoint is rather Catholic, and the story hinges on sainthood(in the Catholic understanding) as a theme. But it's been a while since I've seen it.

Ooh, good call. I love this film. You're right, it is pretty Catholic, a continuing Greene theme. Re: suitability. I remember the furore when the film came out with an 18 certificate, justified by 'adult themes'. In reality, there is maybe one sex scene with a view of Ralph Fiennes naked bum, but nothing too graphic (maybe worth checking through yourself, if your not sure). The BBFC just seemed to think that it was too difficult for kiddies to understand; an odd stance in the face of last-years ultra-violent Batman film and it's 15 certificate.

How about Sister Act, for a little light relief. The middle bit is a bit cheesy, with Whoopi Goldberg being down with the kids, but a guilty pleasure.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Thanks for the details on The End Of The Affair, AE.

re: Sister Act, I've only seen it it patches, so can't really comment either way. But in the same vein, I'll give another off-hand suggestion to the 1989 version of We're No Angels, with De Niro and Sean Penn as escaped cons impersonating academic monks while hiding out in a monastery. Has a mildly thoughtful subplot involving the nature of miracles.

And hey, anyone up for Oh, God? In the words of a Canadian film critic, the theology "makes Unitarianism look strident". But a cute little story nonetheless, and kids especially seem to warm to the George Burns persona.

[ 13. January 2013, 09:48: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about Groundhog Day - a strong theme of redemption.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Another one is The Band's visit

Sorry Latchkey Kid but does that text come from another site? I'm guessing the [5] and [6] refer to notes that aren't reproduced, and we have to be careful about copyright. In this instance, could I ask you for an attribution (with link) please? Thanks!

Ariel
Heaven Host

Sorry, it comes from the Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Band's_Visit#Plot

I tried to work out their Creative Commons Deed but could not work out what attribution was required.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's years since I've seen it, but you could check out Heavenly Pursuits (a.k.a. The Gospel According to Vic). It starts the ever-watchable Tom Conti (these days making a living as various comedy dads) and Helen Mirren. I remember it as a quirky little comedy, which sympathetically explores the whole idea of miracles and divine intervention without giving any easy answers. In part, it belongs to the 'inspirational teacher' genre, but gains enough realism from the tough Glaswegian setting to save it from being sappy. And it is only 92 minutes long!

But as I say, it was a long time ago. I was charmed then, but I don't know if it will have stood the test of time.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Favourites for CathSoc film nights a good many years ago have been previously mentioned here:
Dogma
Life of Brian
Sister Act

A Catholic Chaplaincy retreat featured a screening of The Terminal and discussion afterwards which was about practical Christian behaviour and help for those in need.

The Christian Union used to do occasional film showings in Halls of Residence, I saw the Shawshank Redemption in this context. They also screened episodes of the A-Team "because Jesus was punished for crimes he didn't commit and pledged to help those in need".

I must say, as an adult, one of my favourite films for inspiring prayer is The Prince of Egypt which I first saw in my late teens when it was released in the late 1990s. Very suitable for children and extremely good viewing for all.

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
A Catholic Chaplaincy retreat featured a screening of The Terminal and discussion afterwards which was about practical Christian behaviour and help for those in need.

Funny. I was just thinking about that film, a propos of not much, a few hours ago, in a context touching on the very theme you mention.

I was remembering how the Tom Hanks character is supposed to be understood as a good guy for possibly fudging the truth in order to get his compatriot cleared by the airport authorities to bring his sick father's medication onto the plane(I believe the script leaves it ambiguous as to whether or not Hanks is translating the man's pleas correctly, the point being that even if he's lying, it's okay because someone's life depends upon it).

What I was thinking was, even apart from the post-911 paranoia that the film satirizes, most people would probably agree that there are good reasons for laws governing the international transport of medicine to be strictly enforced. I suppose from a Christian perspective, you've got numerous passages in the New Testament where Jesus says that fidelity to the spirit behind the law trumps fidelity to the letter of the law. But does that apply to cases where(unlike, say, miracles on the sabbath) the law still serves to protect public health and safety?

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The film that I couldn't remember the name of, and it took a few days to track it down – As It Is In Heaven, Swedish.
Famous conductor returns to his village, takes over the church choir in a stuffy, bickering congregation with a gloomy, rigid minister. Steps on a number of toes; everyone changes. Redemption, really.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd second the call for The Mission. Wonderful film.

I have always found Twelve Angry Men to be a very thought-provoking film. Certainly not an explicitly "Christian" film but morally interesting I would say. It's also short!

Then there are some films which are just good films, but I can't think of any particular reason why a church film group should watch them (other than them being really good films). Rain Man, for example.

And there's no way I can recommend films simply because they're my favourites is there? Well, if you insist then, The Big Lebowski, Withnail & I and This is Spinal Tap. No reason for a church film group to watch them unless they want a bit of a laugh...

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:

Then there are some films which are just good films, but I can't think of any particular reason why a church film group should watch them (other than them being really good films).

Tacit in any human story is a story of God.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
The film that I couldn't remember the name of, and it took a few days to track it down – As It Is In Heaven, Swedish.
Famous conductor returns to his village, takes over the church choir in a stuffy, bickering congregation with a gloomy, rigid minister. Steps on a number of toes; everyone changes. Redemption, really.

GG

GG sounds good, is it subtitled or in English?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A favourite film of mine is Black Narcissus adapted from the novel of by Rumer Godden.

A group of Anglican nuns are sent to found a convent in a former palace in the Himalayas - the building was previously used as a harem - where they will nurse and be missionaries to the local area and teach the children. They encounter difficulties from the climate and the local population and gradually tensions build up within the community and some nuns struggle with their calling. It stars Deborah Kerr and is very very good.

I also really like The Nun's Story starring Audrey Hepburn. It follows a young nun through her postulancy, novitiate and after taking her vows and the circumstances and challenges she faces.

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

I just LoVe Black Narcissus ...

Now someone suggested

MASS APPEAL

But how do you get a copy of theat movie on DVD.

Sounds a good one for a church group but its not on Lovefilm.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Percy, may I recommend Google as your first port of call when trying to find answers to queries like this? It should be your first resource. I'm not sure if this is your usual search engine, but it's quite straightforward and produces better results than many of the others.

Google

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For something light, I like "Keeping the Faith" starring Ben Stiller It's about faith, love and friendship and very funny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeping_the_Faith

I also liked "Doubt".
I also liked "Priest", though the end is a real tearjerker.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Percy, may I recommend Google as your first port of call when trying to find answers to queries like this? It should be your first resource. I'm not sure if this is your usual search engine, but it's quite straightforward and produces better results than many of the others.

Google

I detect sarcasm!

Of course I tried Google. Why assume I didn't?

I tried Lovefilm, I tried eBay, I read reviews of the movie.

Mass Appeal seems a good choice, it raises questions of sexuality, modern v traditional in the priesthood, vocation, mission... however, some good choices like this movie are not easy to get. And so having tried some avenues I looked for help here.

This made me wonder whether or not there is a Christian church DVD library which can be accessed. Now perhaps I should have tried Google for the answer to that, but I thought perhaps someone here may be able to give a personal recommendation in the way which Google cannot.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:

Of course I tried Google. Why assume I didn't?

I think it is a ready assumption because of the number of posts you have made asking questions or requesting information.

If you were to make clear what lines of inquiry you'd already followed, and what specific help you were looking for, that would secure a more sympathetic response.

I can tell you, from my days as a librarian, that the more precise you are about what you ask, the greater the chance of finding an answer.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Thank you, as one who also has worked as a librarian, albeit many years ago, I agree.

Now may I return to the thread topic? Films for church film groups.

Some of the films which to me seem appropriate, such as MASS APPEAL are also very difficult to get hold of. I am not aware of a specifically Christian library for this purpose, but perhaps others are.

Having said which PRIEST does raise some of the issues MASS APPEAL would seem to.

It seems to me that films for this sort of group are probably best not being too challenging, because of a mixed audience, and not too long, partly for the same reason but also partly because discussion may follow in some groups.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Some of the films which to me seem appropriate, such as MASS APPEAL are also very difficult to get hold of.

I wouldn't have thought Amazon was so very obscure.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As my mind goes blank every time I'm in the video and DvD rental place I'm writing some of these down.

One suggestion I have is "Insatiable Moon". It's about Arthur who is the self proclaimed second son of God and what happens when the boarding house where he lives is threatened with closure. From memory there is a suicide and some disturbing scenes of mental illness, but in some ways the not-in-my-backyard attitude of ordinary people is amongst the most disturbing aspects of this film. Probably not for the easily upset though.

Stars Rawhiri Paratene who was also in "Whale Rider".

A NZ Vendetta DvD, distributed by Rialto.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stick Monitor
Apprentice
# 17253

- Posted      Profile for Stick Monitor   Email Stick Monitor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Take a look at The Damaris Trust. Quote from their website:
quote:
Damaris is an educational charity that is growing very fast through our partnership with the film industry.

We create official community resources to accompany the latest feature films.

Our resources help a wide range of community groups to engage with the themes and ideas explored in the films.

Posts: 50 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Some of the films which to me seem appropriate, such as MASS APPEAL are also very difficult to get hold of.

I wouldn't have thought Amazon was so very obscure.
Thank you for your kind and helpful comment, Firenze. It was good of you to take the time to point to that link and offer help in that way.

In fact I had checked Amazon,, and eBay, by the way. But the price was too high. That is why I raised the question of how to borrow, having, first of all checked out Lovefilm.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016