homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Movie Jesus

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Movie Jesus
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This evening I was watching "The Gospel of Matthew" (1993) from the "Visual Bible" series, with Bruce Marchiano as Jesus. Marchiano's Jesus is very touchy-feely; He's always hugging and kissing people, and seems to say everything with a permanent smile affixed to His face. He's a little too cuddly for me. That made me think of Henry Ian Cusick's Jesus in "The Gospel of John" (also Visual Bible series, 2003), a portrayal of Jesus that I find extremely scrappy and confrontational. You get the feeling this Jesus is always spoiling for a fight. It's been years since I saw the 1979 "Jesus Movie" (text from Luke), but I remember not being overly impressed with the portrayal of Jesus there either.

Is it ever possible to get a good portrayal of Jesus in a movie? Or is it always unsatisfying because it's filtered through a human actor? The only one I ever feel comfortable watching is the Jesus in "The Miracle Maker" where He has the two distinct advantages of 1) being a puppet, and 2) being voiced by Ralph Fiennes (any Jesus with a British accent automatically sounds better than one with an American accent, it seems. Easier to take seriously). There are a lot of movie portrayals of Jesus that I haven't seen or don't remember, of course.

So, what's the best movie Jesus? Is there a good one? Is it even possible?

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the sorta- Jesus Clown guy in Godspell. He was a hippie. I like hippies.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree with Miracle Maker. Brilliant Peter as well.

Jesus of Montreal - in the play they put on in the film, and in the parallel story in the film.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often regretted never seeing Jesus of Montreal.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's certainly worth seeing, Trudy, if you can ever get hold of a copy.

Film Jesuses are never going to be totally satisfactory, it's just too difficult a part! But sometimes an actor can illuminate certain aspects - and even Jeffrey Hunter made a valiant effort. The Sermon on the Mount was done well here, with people in the crowd shouting out questions to him.

I still think that Pasolini's Gospel according to Matthew is the best Biblical film. It looks beautiful, and although the cast are not Jewish but are Italians there is a Mediterranean feel to the film, which is lost when played by British or American actors. And being non-professional helps too. The Jesus is stern, authoritative, not very approachable, but his face lights up when the children run in to the Temple on Palm Sunday, shouting 'Hosanna!'

I've not seen Marchiano, but I quite like Cusick's Jesus - but the problem there I think is that John's Gospel is not very visual, so scenes appear to comprise long sermons.

I once saw on TV The Day Christ Died, with Chris Sarandon as a very non-sappy Jesus, and good actors like Colin Blakely and Jonathan Pryce were in it. I was impressed at the time and would like to see it again to see how it's stood up to time, but I've failed to track it down.

Ultimately film Jesuses are never going to be completely successful, but some at least are more than halfway decent.

[ 29. December 2012, 09:50: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
I still think that Pasolini's Gospel according to Matthew is the best Biblical film. It looks beautiful, and although the cast are not Jewish but are Italians there is a Mediterranean feel to the film, which is lost when played by British or American actors. And being non-professional helps too. The Jesus is stern, authoritative, not very approachable, but his face lights up when the children run in to the Temple on Palm Sunday, shouting 'Hosanna!'

Yes. This is the movie I keep coming back to. Enrique Irazoqui, who played Jesus, is astonishing in the part. I still get goosebumps when I see scenes like the denunciation of the scribes and pharisees - there's a clip here. (You first get a closeup of Jesus at about 3:51 in the clip.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw something on TV once with a cast of largely unknown Middle Eastern actors - I can't now remember whether they were Israelis or not - with the dialogue in, I think, Aramaic, and subtitles in English. It was a short film and I think it was made for television, but it managed to convey the atmosphere quite powerfully: you felt you were looking at something real, as opposed to something with an actor that you recognize from elsewhere - and some actors play themselves, whatever role they're starring in.

(Before anyone asks, I haven't seen "The Passion of the Christ". I don't want to, either.)

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always rather liked Robert Powell.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:

Seconded.
I've always had a soft spot for Willem Defoe in The Last Temptations of Christ. Not the guy from the BBC 3pt Passion from 2010 though. Perfectly decent actor, but as Jesus, a bit meh.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with Jesus as a film character is that people always have their on impressions if ho he acted, which is why I prefer non-literal Jesuses on screen. The clown Jesus in Godspel is a good one, as as the singing Jesus in the Manchester Passion.

Not really movies, I know.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've always had a soft spot for Willem Defoe in The Last Temptations of Christ.
As do I, and I was gonna recommend that, though I thought it might be too obvious. Probably merits a mention, though.

Despite all the controversy around TLTOC, I know at least one evangelical Christian, of a conservative Baptist bent, who uses it for evangelism purposes.

One thing I found odd about the negative reactions to that film is that everyone seemed to have their own reasons for objecting to it, and those reasons were sometimes mutually exclusive of one another. I know Catholics who had no problem with the dream sequence(since they understood that's what it was), but took offense when Jesus appears to treat his mother and other relatives in a cold manner(even though that was more or less a direct lift from the Gospels).

On the other hand, at the screening I attended, a woman stormed out of the theatre(actually in tears) during the scene that mimics the Sacred Heart iconography. Something that would probably seem unremarkable to most Catholics.

I think a lot of people had been conditioned by all the hoopla to expect something shockingly blasphemous in the film, and so went into it looking for things to be offended by.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The run up advertising of TLTOC billed it as controversial and blasphemous for two reasons - the first was because the distributor feared nobody would watch a Jesus movie, so they had to build hype. The second was because Scorcese regretted the tongue in cheek portrayal of Judas from the Bronx and worried that it might result in the film being withdrawn. When it came to it, it was the short scene featuring a naked Jesus that caused a storm. Taken on its own merits though, and setting aside all the silly bits and controversies, it's a fairly astonishing and even challenging declaration of faith - possibly the strongest to ever come out of Hollywood.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I like Willem Dafoe's Jesus too, and the film has a lot going for it. I first read the book 40-odd years ago, and have read it several times since, although it is so powerful and epic that once every few years is enough!

One brilliant scene is when he recounts saying to himself as a child, 'God, make me God! God, make me God!' and goes on to reveal the devil inside him crying that he is not a man, he is the Son of Man, 'and still more: the Son of God! and still more: God!'

Terrific stuff. The silly hype and hoo-ha surrounding the film was just daft - it's a good film and a great, profoundly Christian, book.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very interesting takes on TLTOC. I have not seen the film. My impression, from complaining Christians mostly, was it was made for the purpose of being controversial. And I refrained from seeing it for that reason.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My impression, from complaining Christians mostly, was it was made for the purpose of being controversial.
As Fletcher Christian pointed out, the studios themselves hyped it as controversial. But I think there likely would have been some controversy anyway(it was released in the wake of the even more innocuous Hail Mary, which had generated pickets and bomb threats), so you probably can't blame the studios for playing the hand they were dealt, howver cynically.

While I remember commentary at the time about the New York mensch Judas, I wasn't aware that Scorsese had expressed regrets about it. I actually thought it made a nice complement to the waspier, more-traditional Hollywood Jesus portrayed by Willem Dafoe.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

One thing that ticks me off is writers who lump TLTOC in with The Da Vinci Code as "films that have offended Christians" or "are offensive to Christians"(depending on the writer's agenda). The message of the two films is actully polar opposite, since in Last Temptation, Jesus rejects the offer of a normal life in order to die on the cross and redeem mankind.

This idiot actually states that Last Temptation
denies that God gave his only begotten son to redeem mankind. Obviously, never saw the movie.

He also praises Bill Bright and Campus Crusade for launching the protests that caused the film to do poorly at the box office. It's true the film bombed, but likely would have done even worse without all the free publicity.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:

Noooo, anyone but Robert Powell, who ruined an otherwise perfect film! So I can only watch it up till Jesus appears as an adult. Cannot bear to watch skinny, greasy-haired, blue-eyed Anglo Jesus striking poses and trying to sound profound.

Give me Henry Ian Cusick every time. Any time, actually. [Big Grin] The definitive Jesus: authoritative yet human, has the knack of teaching to everyone in the room individually (watch the Bread of Life discourse scene), and unlike Jeremy Sisto (in "Jesus"), he knows who he is and what he's about.

Though I admit that "The Miracle Maker" is a miracle in itself, and a close second to "The Gospel of John."

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
Originally posted by Mechtilde:

Give me Henry Ian Cusick every time. Any time, actually. [Big Grin]

Seconded [Biased] .

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a 'Jesus film' sometime in the 50's I think, which incredibly cast the young hottie Rip Torn (stage name, obviously) as Jesus.

I have repressed the whole thing, except the sight of Jesus on the cross with SHAVED ARMPITS! And No, I Am Not Making This Up.

(You had to have been there.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

I think you are thinking of King of Kings, with Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus, who indeed was ordered to shave his armpits. It was made around 1961, and Rip Torn played Judas.

It was known as I was a teenage Jesus because of Hunter's very good looks, but he was in fact 33 when he made the film. Poor boy couldn't help being pretty...

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, PM

The memories are coming back now - the Horror, the Horror! (Just kidding, really.)

But that 'King of Kings' was pale in comparison to the old silent film of the same name.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
There was a 'Jesus film' sometime in the 50's I think, which incredibly cast the young hottie Rip Torn (stage name, obviously) as Jesus.

Him?!

Btw: Rip is a longstanding nickname in the Torn family, so not just a stage name.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

Him?!

Btw: Rip is a longstanding nickname in the Torn family, so not just a stage name.

Your use of the word "him" led me to think momentarily that you might be referring to this Jesus movie, of disputed existentiality.(A link not for the timid.)

I used to think it would be pretty delicious if Michael Medved really had made that up, since he later went on to a career trashing cultural-elites for poisoning our minds with attacks on tradtional values. But there he was, a few years earlier, concocting lewd Jesus fantasies himself.

However, the evidence seems to be piling up that the film was in fact real, albeit never given anything remotely close to wide distribution(can't imagine why, sounds like a classic).

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Back to Rip Torn for a second, the guy has always been a bit of a live wire.

Maidstone

The idea is that Torn was supposed to improvise a surprise attack on the presidential candidate, played by Norman Mailer. You can see how that went down.

I thought he was okay as Louis XV in Marie Antoinette, though.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to read positive posts on TLTOC.

I watched it shortly after conversion in 01 and found it immediately powerful, and not in anyway worthy of the knock-back it received in the 80s.

OK, no movie is ever the be all and end all of the Great story, but I have the DVD of this one and usually watch some, or all of it around Easter.

Maybe the only way it might have been improved upon would have been to have used Gibson's idea of subtitled dialogue.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

Maybe the only way it might have been improved upon would have been to have used Gibson's idea of subtitled dialogue.

You mean have the actors speaking the languages that the charcters themselves would have spoken in real life, translated with English subtitles?

If so, I think Gibson's original idea was just to have it in the original languages, with no subtitles at all. (I think I did my second screening of the film with no subtitles, just to get a "director's cut").

But subtitles or no, I don't know if using original languages would have worked for TLTOC. The dialogue(compared to The Passion) is fairly complex, and Scorsese would have needed actors who are credible in those langauages. I'm guessing that would have ruled out a lot of his high-profile Hollywood stars, in favour of no-names.

For what it's worth, I WILL put in a qualified good word for The Passion Of The Christ. It's visually a fairly captivating film. From a psycho-theological perspective, it's pretty nutbar, and is probably best regarded as interesting in a symptomatic sorta way.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016